Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 12:45   #106
BHPian

Yes the doorpads and something in the dash does rattle when the engine is severely lugged. Avoid lugging by making sure that tacho needle stays above 1200RPM always (except for idling of course).
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

The sound is only when I am turning slowly on full radius and when am travelling at good speed and halting at the toll booths in idling of the engine I get the noise.It seems it is not a major problem but the sound is really getting on my nerves.Changing the pulley of my vehicle is a bad advice that the service adviser gave me I think.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:05   #108
BHPian

same here too.. I know I can avoid the rattle by keeping above 1200 rpm always, but when we up shift, and if its going to take time to move, this sound really gets in to nerves...
Old 4th November 2009, 20:21   #109
BHPian

For me,30 KMPH is the most difficult thing,here I feel I am not too fast for 3rd but I feel excess revving for 2nd. Maybe iam yet to learn to drive diesels.

Also, today as its raining cats and dogs in Chennai the whole city has come to a standstill and during my return home one moron in a Bolero hit me on my right rear door, luckily nothing much has happened, in fact I can't even notice a scratch. I think I need to wait till morning to check for any damages. A long night ahead.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

About completing 18K kms, first cribs - and jinxed bumpers!

Yesterday, Verna-ing was such an easy game to play - and then so much happened.

Yesterday, the car completed 18K kms. Normally 18 isn't such a hullabaloo landmark - not as much as its silver, gold and diamond brethren. It doesn't even have a name, would you believe it? So there would be absolutely no reason to highlight my car having completed 18K kms on the forum, if it hadn't been for..

Yesterday, my right ORVM came loose for the 6th time, in 2 months. Now this is turning into my first crib about the car. Every now and then the ORVM will come loose and start to rattle. I tighten it, within a few days it starts to rattle again. Thankfully the fixing mechanism is quite simple. Just a plate below the mirror body needs to be removed (see below)

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-dsc03265-edited.jpg

3 screws need to be tightened with a cross-head screwdriver.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-dsc03266.jpg

And Bob's your uncle. Only problem is, I'm not comfortable with making Bob my uncle so often. Any suggestions?

Yesterday, Main, Meri Biwi aur Woh (Verna) paid a visit to Baa (SS-Traveller), Bahoo aur Beti. They were in Kolkata for the new year. We had a great time at their place, and had it not been for their early morning flight next day, would probably never have left!

Unfortunately, the path to SS Da's house is a mini offroad track. Drive into a dirt path from the main road, position your vehicle through a chicane made by 2 lamp posts, swerve to avoid a 2 foot ditch, and then come face to face with an iron gate. (You better have retained the smile on your face till now, because just behind the iron gate is the smiling host, standing to receive you). Oh, and the path is too narrow to get out any other way, other than to reverse the whole thing out.

So after a few hours of mutual bragging about driving long distances, car mechanicals, engine power and the like, I wave goodbye to SS, get into the car, and make a jackass of myself. Its chilly outside, the rear glass is completely fogged. I try to position the vehicle through the lamp post chicane, and in trying to avoid the left (farther side) post, the car's right rear side grazes the right side post. A few hurried apologies (and a suggestion from SS to fit reverse parking sensors) later, I leave.

Today morning I surveyed the damage. Looks too bad, but no body shape damage.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-dsc03263.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-dsc03264.jpg

Normally, for surface scratches I use an acrylic paint sealant. Very effective, the scratch goes away like magic. But that wont work here, as the paint has peeled off.

For paint scratches, I use Com-Paint spray paint. Its a very effective tool. Even without sand papering, the combination of Com merge (Finishing Solvent Spray) and Com paint is good enough to cover up paint scratches and ensure uniform finish with the factory Ebony Black colour.

But again one catch. As you can see, most of the damage this time is on the bumper. And the bumper is not metal. Any idea whether touch up spray is equally effective on the bumper? Does any other method need to be used? Suggestions at the usual thread please.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 3rd January 2010 at 17:50. Reason: formatting ka locha!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:56   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...I'm not comfortable with making Bob my uncle so often. Any suggestions?
Try Loctite instead of Bob, should work beautifully.
Quote:
A few hurried apologies (and a suggestion from SS to fit reverse parking sensors) later, I leave.
I don't remember your apologising to me, neither see any reason why you should. Did you apologise to the lamp-post?
Quote:
As you can see, most of the damage this time is on the bumper. And the bumper is not metal. Any idea whether touch up spray is equally effective on the bumper? Does any other method need to be used?
Epoxy putty for use on plastics (I forget the brand name) will fill in the grooves on the bumper - then you can sandpaper and paint over. The metal doesn't have any sharp creases or chipped paint, so dry denting in expert hands should get it back to almost new - can't suggest who does dry denting in CCU, but can get the job done for you when you drive over to Delhi as promised.

Oh yes, have you got the reversing sensors installed?
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, my right ORVM came loose for the 6th time, in 2 months. Now this is turning into my first crib about the car. Every now and then the ORVM will come loose and start to rattle. I tighten it, within a few days it starts to rattle again. Thankfully the fixing mechanism is quite simple. Just a plate below the mirror body needs to be removed (see below)

3 screws need to be tightened with a cross-head screwdriver.

And Bob's your uncle. Only problem is, I'm not comfortable with making Bob my uncle so often. Any suggestions?

Normally, for surface scratches I use an acrylic paint sealant. Very effective, the scratch goes away like magic. But that wont work here, as the paint has peeled off.

For paint scratches, I use Com-Paint spray paint. Its a very effective tool. Even without sand papering, the combination of Com merge (Finishing Solvent Spray) and Com paint is good enough to cover up paint scratches and ensure uniform finish with the factory Ebony Black colour.
This post of yours has been a godsend for me...

You see, i also drive a black verna & recently, the left rear view has come loose & some crazy !@#$% made deep circles on the bonnet (right through the paint)

Your post will help solve both the issues. Guess we both in the same boat (kinda...hehe) Only difference is that my boat has already clocked 40K kms.

Thanks for unknowingly helping me

Last edited by Xehaust : 3rd January 2010 at 22:18. Reason: Grammatical Mistakes
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

I read elsewhere that @ss-traveller stays at Teghoria. I'm located at Kaikhali. Maybe can meet up someday.

I inflicted a similar wound on the RHS rear panel of my car at the Big Bazaar parking - on 1st Jan. Do let me know how you take care of yours.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try Loctite instead of Bob, should work beautifully.
Loctite spray? Good idea, will try that out. Just hope it doesnt lock the screw in forever for good!

Quote:
I don't remember your apologising to me, neither see any reason why you should. Did you apologise to the lamp-post?
I dont apologize to lamp posts. I have a dog, and even he doesnt apologize to lamp posts after he's lifted a leg and done his thing!

Actually, I was apologizing to the car!

Quote:
Epoxy putty for use on plastics (I forget the brand name) will fill in the grooves on the bumper - then you can sandpaper and paint over. The metal doesn't have any sharp creases or chipped paint, so dry denting in expert hands should get it back to almost new - can't suggest who does dry denting in CCU, but can get the job done for you when you drive over to Delhi as promised.
Well I already solved the dented metal problem. Since there was no chipped paint, I just opened the boot, unscrewed the right lining, and straightened out most of the dent by softly tapping the body from inside. Looks better now.

Will take your suggestion for the bumper.

Quote:
Oh yes, have you got the reversing sensors installed?
Now you're rubbing it in Dada. I've been driving this car through notorious Kolkata traffic (and outside) for 14 months now! Just one bump, and you think I'm a handicap. Boo hoo hoo! Woe is me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
This post of yours has been a godsend for me...

You see, i also drive a black verna & recently, the left rear view has come loose & some crazy !@#$% made deep circles on the bonnet (right through the paint)

Your post will help solve both the issues. Guess we both in the same boat (kinda...hehe) Only difference is that my boat has already clocked 40K kms.

Thanks for unknowingly helping me
Well a learned man with an affinity for Indo-German SUV's recently called my car an Ugly Korean Tub. Now boat! What next? Ocean liner???

Jokes apart, you're most welcome. Knowledge sharing, after all, is the foremost purpose of a public forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I read elsewhere that @ss-traveller stays at Teghoria. I'm located at Kaikhali. Maybe can meet up someday.

I inflicted a similar wound on the RHS rear panel of my car at the Big Bazaar parking - on 1st Jan. Do let me know how you take care of yours.
What car? Is the panel metal? If yes, then gimme a call. Will guide you.

If its plastic, then gimme a call after a few days! Hehehehe!
Old 4th January 2010, 18:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What car? Is the panel metal? If yes, then gimme a call. Will guide you.

If its plastic, then gimme a call after a few days! Hehehehe!
My car. Plastic and metal both. Guess I'll give you those few days then

It was one of those lapse of concentration moments while negotiating the columns in the Big Bazaar parking.
Old 5th January 2010, 01:10   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Well a learned man with an affinity for Indo-German SUV's recently called my car an Ugly Korean Tub. Now boat! What next? Ocean liner???

Jokes apart, you're most welcome. Knowledge sharing, after all, is the foremost purpose of a public forum.
Heck no...I think the Verna looks rather good. It does really grow on you & i love the shape of the headlamps. The boat part was just a figure of speech to relate to the ORVM & the paint damage.
Its an excellent car no matter what anybody says
Old 14th February 2010, 16:54   #117
Senior - BHPian

Service Update at 20,000 kms

Today my car completed 20K kms. On 1st Feb, I took it for a thorough service and changed the following:

Engine Oil - The Verna engine has a tendency to develop a lot of soot, and the stock "Servo" oil isn't any good at holding the soot in suspension for long. At Professor Arup Roy Choudhury's (Gurkha on tbhp) advice, I switched my engine oil to Mobil Delvac MX. MRP is Rs 248/ltr, but thanks to his contact in Mobil, got the oil for about 208/ltr.

MDMX is available in 5 ltr, 7.5 ltr and 15 ltr containers. I bought the 7.5 ltr (the engine needs 5.3 ltrs every change). Will buy a 5 ltr pack each time next and use the balance from this one.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-mobil-delvac-mx.jpg

What a difference it has made! IMO, an Engine flush wasn't necessary, but Gurkha insisted I get one. Since then, the engine is running noticeably quieter, and pick up response seems to have increased a shade. Not that it matters much, but the FE has marginally improved. My last full tank gave me above 15 kmpl (13-14 kmpl was the best I'd get earlier).

All the filters - A mandatory change of air, oil and fuel filters. I'm posting pics of all the parts, as last time there was some argument about type/price of part used:

Air Filter

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-air-filter-1.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-air-filter-2.jpg

Oil Filter

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-oil-filter-1.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-oil-filter-2.jpg

Fuel Filter

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-fuel-filter.jpg

Gear Oil - As per the manual, a transmission oil change isn't required before 30K kms. But considering the car has borne the brunt of first time transmission shearing, and the hustle bustle of Kolkata traffic for so long, I thought it wise to change the oil ahead of schedule. There's no harm in being extra careful. As Gurkha says, "Transmission oil costs less than the transmission"

Full Brake Checkup - Done on the workshop's insistence. Nothing found defective.

Others - They changed an oil plug gasket found defective (30 bucks) and replaced 2 windscreen washer jets gone kaput (free).
Old 17th February 2010, 08:10   #118
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! Now, the official engine oil for hyundai diesel cars is Shell Helix. Servo is history. Mobil Delvac is also good i'm currently using that but didn't find any noticeable difference while shifting from Helix..
Hyundai uses synthetic transmission oil which is good for 80k.. 20k is too early for a change IMO.
PS- Drive safe, verna is an uncontrollable car
Old 17th February 2010, 08:43   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Nice review! Now, the official engine oil for hyundai diesel cars is Shell Helix. Servo is history.
Are you sure? I had the last service done around 5 months ago, and I distinctly remember the workshop using Servo. Anyway, MDMX is as good as any.

Quote:
Hyundai uses synthetic transmission oil which is good for 80k.. 20k is too early for a change IMO.
The manual says the transmission oil should be changed at 30K under normal use, and if the car is "operating under conditions of high stress" - 15K. I wasn't aware of this fact. Lemme recheck with the service guys.

Quote:
PS- Drive safe, verna is an uncontrollable car
Old 17th February 2010, 10:08   #120
BHPian

predator I shifted to delvac mx too for 3rd service. Wasnt happy with servo and found a big big difference in the driveability and feel of the car.

Should verify with the SA about wat kpzen said regarding shell helix. But isnt shell helix synthetic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks