Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 17:52   #121
Senior - BHPian

Engine Oil discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
But isnt shell helix synthetic?
Hey Pras, sorry for the late reply. AFAIK, only Shell Helix Ultra is synthetic. The correct engine oil for the Verna would be 15W-40, which is Shell Helix Diesel HX6 (see link). Very much mineral!

Shell Helix Diesel HX6 - INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Mobil Delvac is also good i'm currently using that but didn't find any noticeable difference while shifting from Helix
A point to ponder. Shell Helix Diesel HX6 is a API CH4 grade oil, while Mobil Delvac is a CI4 grade oil. Basically CI4 was a new oil service category defined by American Petroleum Institute (API) to ensure diesel engine oils would provide the lubrication requirements for new lower emission diesel engine designs which require oils to handle higher temperatures, acids, soot levels, and wear protection. So while I fully agree that shifting from Helix to Delvac will not give a noticeable difference, I also think in the long run Delvac (by virtue of being a better grade) will prove beneficial to the engine. What say?

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 20th February 2010 at 17:53. Reason: Mineral ya synthetic?
predatorwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2010, 05:16   #122
BHPian

Hey, have a black verna myself, but its a petrol :P
Have been following this thread & just thought id say a thank you for the tip on the loose OVRM. Mine too had become loose & that tip you gave about just tightening the screws from under helped. Keep up the good work, now if only i could eliminate the rattles that have started from the doorpads
Old 21st February 2010, 11:25   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey, have a black verna myself, but its a petrol :P
Have been following this thread & just thought id say a thank you for the tip on the loose OVRM. Mine too had become loose & that tip you gave about just tightening the screws from under helped. Keep up the good work, now if only i could eliminate the rattles that have started from the doorpads
In the diesels its more of an issue of vibration rather than rattling

The doorpads thing - when you go for service next, ask them to open the door pads and there will be a lot of linkages and wiring and stuff going through. Ask them to pad it up with sponge and black tape so that it wont cause noise when the parts rub against each other. You can even put in that insulation sheet you would normally put if you upgraded speakers and stuff.

Its not just the ORVM, but even the handles above the passenger side windows can be tightened by opening the cap covering the screw. Had an unfortunate human-turned-monkey incident where they decided to swing from one side of the car to another holding it and the handle couldnt take the weight and came off. This was a simple fix.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:46   #124
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2010 at 10:00.
Lancer.ized is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2010, 01:04   #125
BHPian

it has been 20K kms, how are the stock tires holding up ?
Old 24th May 2010, 21:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post
it has been 20K kms, how are the stock tires holding up ?
Well its 24.5K kms now. The stock Bridgestone B250s are still holding up nicely. No apparent loss of tread, no loss of grip. Although road noise, I suspect, has gone up a tad.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

2 years, 29,500 kms

2 years of living with my Predator. 2 years, 7 highway trips, daily intra-city driving. No rest, but thats just how Predator likes it.

My experience upto 1 year is well documented with scans of service bills. Lets give you a brief update of what happened over the 2nd year:

4th service (31st January 2010 - 19433 kms) - Switched to Mobil Delvac MX (been using that ever since). Regular filter changes, an engine flush, and changing the gear oil much before it was due. Some details here: Post 117

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0023-compressed.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0022-compressed.jpg

5th service (27th July 2010 - 26935 kms) - Besides air filter and oil filter, the only replacement was the front brake pads. The attendant insisted they were glazed and needed replacement. He even showed me the brake pads. They were slightly glazed, nothing alarming. And I didn't feel any difference in braking distances & response after the change .

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0021-compressed.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0020-compressed.jpg

General issues (8th Sep 2010 - 28162 kms) - On 7th Sep (happened to be my bday) evening, the seat belt clasp stopped working. However hard I tried, the seat belt head would not go in. I was supposed to leave for Shantiniketan on 9th early morning, no way I was doing 210 kms highway, each way, without a seatbelt.

Early 8th morning, took it to HASS. One of the horns (the bass horn) was sounding a little off, and there was a rattle from the dashboard. All 3 problems were resolved by HASS for free.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0019-compressed.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0018.jpg

__________________________________________________ __________

Currently the odo is just over 29,500 kms. I was expecting small niggling problems to crop up, but except the seat belt thing nothing really has surfaced (fingers firmly crossed ).

Entering the third year of ownership with a feeling of satisfaction,and a little apprehension. Avoided getting the third year warranty after a lot of deliberation. Been warned of turbo failures in the 3rd year, but I regularly do the 1 min idle before shutdown (to settle the turbo), and use one of the best diesel engine oils. So I think I'll live with the risk.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Updates planned for the 3rd year

1. Upgrade to 195/60 R14 tyres. The B250s are holding on gamely, but I can sense they're nearing the end of their working lives. Will replace them with something sporty, like Yoko ES100s or Advans.

2. ICE - Have the following setup in mind for Predator:
  • JVC KR816 Double Din HU
  • Infinity Kappa 4 Amp
  • Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub
  • Alpine SPR 17S 6.5" components
  • JVC S396 coaxials as rear fills

Had planned everything by September, but both budget and availability (of the IK4) is proving to be a problem. Will get most stuff down from the US to save cost. Should have the ICE fitted by Feb-March 2011.

Thats it for now, folks! Over to you. Wish Predator and me a happy life together!
Old 1st October 2010, 10:27   #128
BHPian

That's a well documented ownership review.

Since I get to see the car often, I can say that hat's off to your commitment with Predator. Wonder what vows you two made for each other on the day of your marriage .

Also are you sure the rear coaxials you are planning to install are of JVC? Cause when I gave you the box I remember the name was JBL .

Keep it up and you know what to expect if you think of selling it.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:19   #129
BHPian

@predator - Good to see that your verna is doing well
I have shifted to Shell Rimula R4 engine oil at 30000km now and its by far the best of the lot. Far far better than the delvac mx. Give it a shot next time around.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

PW - During the 4th service you got the synthetic gear oil replaced with mineral oil. Synthetic oil has a change interval of 80k kms.

Pras- Shell Rimulal R4 is good but didn't find any difference from Delvac MX. Both are equally good IMO. What difference did u find ?
Old 1st October 2010, 13:56   #131
BHPian

Quote:
PW - During the 4th service you got the synthetic gear oil replaced with mineral oil. Synthetic oil has a change interval of 80k kms.

Pras- Shell Rimulal R4 is good but didn't find any difference from Delvac MX. Both are equally good IMO. What difference did u find ?
I went from stock oil to delvac mx to helix hx6 to rimula r4.
Each time I found the car getting far more responsive and revvy(yes I know its a diesel but still ) than the last oil. The main difference I found after this service was less turbo lag with the new air filter and engine oil.
I found the car most powerful and smooth with the r4 as compared to the other oils, although the hx6 was the quietest.

They did not change gear oil for me at 30000km.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:40   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Also are you sure the rear coaxials you are planning to install are of JVC? Cause when I gave you the box I remember the name was JBL.
Oops, my bad sir. It is JBL. Probably the time of the night I wrote this has something to do with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Keep it up and you know what to expect if you think of selling it.
Yeah I do! Strange paradox I'm in. My car, my money, but 2 of my friends will not allow me to even think of selling it, threatening capital punishment!

Quote:
@predator - Good to see that your verna is doing well
Thanks dude. As always, we're 2 Verna owners discovering the joys (and pains) of long term ownership together.

But why the smiley?

Quote:
Oh! I didn't know the car came factory filled with Synthetic gear oil. But if indeed has an interval of 80K kms, why does the manual warrant a change at 30K kms?
Old 1st October 2010, 21:52   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thanks dude. As always, we're 2 Verna owners discovering the joys (and pains) of long term ownership together.

But why the smiley?

Oh! I didn't know the car came factory filled with Synthetic gear oil. But if indeed has an interval of 80K kms, why does the manual warrant a change at 30K kms?
That was a sincere smiley predator.

Perhaps the service center guys didnt know that its synthetic and followed the manual blindly? Do you find any difference in transmission before and after service?
Old 1st October 2010, 21:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a sincere smiley predator.

Perhaps the service center guys didnt know that its synthetic and followed the manual blindly? Do you find any difference in transmission before and after service?
Hehe, thanks Pras

Well, to tell the truth, the gearbox did feel a tad notchy after the oil change. Went away with time, but the first time was really the smoothest.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

All Hyundai diesels and AT cars come with synthetic gear oil from factory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks