Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 13:45   #46
BHPian

Cross-posting from a different thread. Some very good suggestions there to improve FE of i10 kappa AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickdrive View Post
My first post on t-bhp forum...

I am the worthy i10 AT owner referred to by Gandhi in the below post. I did hear some horror stories from i10 AT owners (and also on t-bhp forums) that the car gives no more than 8-9 kmpl in the city, but I went ahead because I needed a car with AT for less than 8 lakhs.

Here's some things which I felt I must share regarding my "superior" FE experience:

1. Some conventional rules for improving FE do not apply with an auto transmission. For example, I ensure that the AT upshifts between 2500-2700 rpm and not at 2000 rpm like in a MT. The reason is (i learned it from a friend who has driven only AT cars in the US) that an AT gives better FE when it is pushed a bit. Unlike in a MT, an AT will downshift very frequently and without a real reason to do so - so it is imperative to keep the tacho in the 2200ish range as much as possible. The idea is to prevent the AT from downshifting and upshifting for every 5 kph difference in speed.

2. I changed the stock tyres to Bridgestone Turanza 175/70 R14. This has improved both stability and FE. I always felt that 80 ps was too much power for the 155 stocks and may result in loss of FE, and I have been proved right. I did nearly 300 km on the stock tyres and got a best FE of 10 kmpl in the city. I traded them in for the new shoes and see how things have turned!

3. I use the a/c like a home a/c - I don't keep it on all the time. When the cabin is sufficiently cool, I turn the a/c off and use only the blowers, and then turn the a/c back on when the temp goes up. In Bangalore, I need the a/c only to keep out the smoke and dust and hence I use it only in heavy traffic.

4. When I stop at a signal, I put the car into "P" gear and take my foot off the brake for short stops and turn off the engine for long stops. When the car is in the "D" mode, there is slight forward movement produced even without pressing the accelerator. So by keeping the car on "D" even at a signal stop, the engine is still working to produce some movement. It's arguable that this results in as many gearshifts as a MT, but the effect shows on the FE. At least you don't need to measure and press the clutch!

5. Last, but not the least, I use only Shell fuel (Shell Super Unleaded) as far as possible. I definitely feel the car to be much smoother to drive, and I get easily 20% better FE with this fuel than any other "Indian" petrol. Disadvantage, of course, is that Shell bunks are not very many and one needs to be near a metro city to get it. I would love to try Speed 97 sometime, but I don't want to pamper the car with it.

Most recent FE calculation on the highway. Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamundi Hill-Mysore-Bangalore, total of 366 km, fuel used 18 litres. FE = 20 kmpl! I kept the needle between 90-110 kph nearly through the journey (and even raced with a Verna CRDI along the way back, albeit a losing battle!)
Old 10th August 2009, 15:34   #47
BHPian

Nice points to try out.
I just had a mileage check for my AT after the first full tank fill. it gave me about 8-9. But people have got much lower than this before the first service.
i have got the tank filled up this time in a shell. so will update after the next refill !!
But I have not changed the tyres. it is still on stock.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:43   #48

My i10 Kappa 1.2 L Magna has travelled 500 Kms. It has given 12.5 Km/l with AC 80 % and most of the driving in the stop and go Hyderabad traffic and mostly on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and occasionally in the 4th gear, further I am a novice driver having learnt driving recently. I am just getting comfortable. The 500 Kms. includes a drive to Chilkur Balaji temple a 80 km ride.
I have in

I have inquired at the Hyundai service station, they said that 12.5 kms is good in the initial 500 kms. they said it will go up subsequent to the 1st servicing.

Is this an OK fuel efficiency.. Please share your views...
Old 24th August 2009, 13:06   #49
BHPian

I got my i10 sportz Kappa last month. I have been feeding it only Shell normal petrol. I stick to the Shell out-let at Somajiguda or the one at Gachibowli

The mileage for my has been varying between 13.5 and 14.8km approx.

I have clocked almost close to 1037km on it and I drive always with AC on (100%) and I typically top up my tank when the needle is at the half way mark on the fuel indicator.

A lot depends on your driving style, gear shift pattern.
Old 26th August 2009, 08:18   #50
zma
BHPian

11 in city 14 in highway

done 2nd service they added some additives in the 2nd service for improving milage doent made much diiference
Old 26th August 2009, 10:47   #51
BHPian

zma dont go for additives, as they are useless. Even Maruti put them in my 2nd service of my alto 3 years back, and it made no difference.

Coming to my question, I wanted to ask something, compression ratio of kappa is 10.5, so I'm putting Premium petrol into my i10. But somewhere I read on the forum that nowadays Premium petrols are NOT higher octane petrol but only petrol with additives, if thats true, then shall I switch back to normal petrol ? I'm not able to find that particular post where I read that so posting and asking here. Please help as I'm putting premium petrol on both of my petrol cars (i10 kappa & NHC Gxi iDSi) as both have compression ratio more than 10.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:36   #52
BHPian

I put only normal petrol for i10 1.2 kappa sportz. On one of my trips to Sholapur it gave 17.3 kms per litre without a/c and driving at not more than 80 kms per hour. After the engine has settled I have never calculated - now just before the price rise, I have filled her up and the needle has not come to half way mark. I am also informed that the petrol what is put in Mumbai is different from what it is in other parts of the country. I do not know whether I am correct. Now my car has clocked 6050 kms in 13 months. I have taken her once to Pune,Sanishinganapur,Shirdi, Sholapur and to Mantrlayam near Raichur from Mumbai. Am fully satisfied with performance and fuel efficiency.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th March 2010 at 12:56. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 7th March 2010, 00:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. When I stop at a signal, I put the car into "P" gear and take my foot off the brake for short stops and turn off the engine for long stops. When the car is in the "D" mode, there is slight forward movement produced even without pressing the accelerator. So by keeping the car on "D" even at a signal stop, the engine is still working to produce some movement. It's arguable that this results in as many gearshifts as a MT, but the effect shows on the FE. At least you don't need to measure and press the clutch!
You have to put it in N. P also has some drag.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I am consistently getting between 12kmpl-12.5kmpl in city driving conditions and usually with a heavy foot.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

i think its reasonable to expect 12 in the city with a/c. i wonder how much the kseries delivers ?
Old 9th March 2010, 13:47   #56
BHPian

I get around 6-7 kmpl for my kappa sportz AT
Old 9th March 2010, 14:05   #57
BHPian

my i10 kappa sports MT clocked 5500+ kms
City 13~14Km/l (AC 25%)
Highway 18~19 Km/l (AC 20%)
Old 9th March 2010, 14:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I don't think so. Normally P is same as N with Parking Brakes on, unless it is differently implemented in i10.
Old 9th March 2010, 14:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i wonder how much the kseries delivers ?
Here you go. Posting the mileage figures for my Ritz ZXi from my ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Golu has completed 1400 KMs and mileage is on the improving side. 2nd Full tank returned 15.80 KMPL in City with 70% AC ON. Overall very happy with the way car is behaving.

Took it to half day trip to Krishnagiri today. It performed really well on highways. As it is still under run-in, didn't want to push too much. I kept the average speeds hovering around 85-90 KMPH, touching 100 KMPH once in a while. Mileage for this 250 KMs trip was 21.60 KMPL with 100% AC ON . Route taken was Whitefield -> Varthur -> Sarjapur -> Bagalur -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> E-City -> Silk Board -> Whitefield.
Old 9th March 2010, 14:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
P does not have any drag, neither has N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I don't think so. Normally P is same as N with Parking Brakes on, unless it is differently implemented in i10.
If you mean parking brake=hand brake, then P is not N with parking brakes on.

N is neutral where the wheels are free to move (say on a slope or when someone pushes it).
P is the selection where the output shaft of transmission is locked via the parking pin.
Please see this link for details
Automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i10 is as simple as a car can be, so no trick there either.

I get around 12.5 to 13.5 in mixed city-highway(bypass) running for everyday commute.
Got around 15.8 kmpl in the 650 km highway run (included crawling through a couple of district towns for half hour each).
The last leg of 175+ km with clean stretch of NH2 gave me around 19kmpl.
All figures with 75% - 100% AC.

Last edited by blackasta : 9th March 2010 at 14:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed