Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:43   #76
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have posted FE figures for my Ritz ZXi in this thread itself. Check out this link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1773121
wow- then the K-series beat the kappa on FE big time. Wonder if someone can get the i-10 combined with K series engine as a car- what a deadly combo!!!!
With higher FE still the k-series is not outselling the kappa, looks like FE is not the only factor with people!
Maybe maruti should use this USP big time
Old 24th March 2010, 15:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised, how can you drive on a highway with only 15% AC which means 85% of the time your window is rolled down.

Doesn't the wind noise bother you? What speeds were you doing on highway? Also, I think the wind resistance adds to more consumption.
Actually I have been driving since last 4 months, which was winter so didn't feel need to turn on AC, a slightly open window was enough!!
Old 24th March 2010, 20:54   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
what are the actual FE figures that are reported by the K-series users? I have also heard the same, curious to know the actual numbers
One thing is evident- hyundai always falls short of maruti on FE for all their offerings, something they need to look at maybe
I own a K-series car- Ritz VXI. Done with my first service couple of months ago - Driven 2700kms, get a city mileage of 15.48km/ltr. with 90% ac on. Highway - 17-18km/ltr
Old 24th March 2010, 22:40   #79
zma
BHPian

my car clocked 12300 kms in 13months 3ed service was done in the 12month..using stock tyres.
i do try to drive smoothly but i dont think i shifts at 2000rpm.i will look for it.
Do i have to change fuel to power of hp or extra premium of indian oil.these are the only two common brands available here.
Will it give the extra benefit for the premium given.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:03   #80
BHPian

zma, i am not very sure if premium fuels are encouraged or not! With normal fuels you should be able to get around 14kmpl in city without any major bumper to bumper driving phase. With constant bumper to bumper traffic, expect an FE of around 12kmpl.

@funnyguru
Also, the K-series fuel efficiency is amazing. Can you please comment on the type of fuel and traffic conditions. Fantastic engine this!

Last edited by iPai : 25th March 2010 at 11:04. Reason: some more addition
Old 25th March 2010, 15:13   #81
BHPian

@funnyguru
Also, the K-series fuel efficiency is amazing. Can you please comment on the type of fuel and traffic conditions. Fantastic engine this![/quote]

I use the Xtra Premium petrol . I stay in south chennai and on the ECR road, hence the traffic might not be as bad as the heart of the city. However not much difference.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:45   #82
BHPian

I had taken my kappa i10 for a trip from Mumbai to Madurai approx 1600 kms.

My fuel average was 20.58 without a/c and 18.34 with a/c. I would post detailed report soon. I use only normal fuel. All through the journey I maintained speeds between 90 to 100 kmph and the rpm was between 2500 and 2750.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:41   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I had taken my kappa i10 for a trip from Mumbai to Madurai approx 1600 kms.

My fuel average was 20.58 without a/c and 18.34 with a/c. I would post detailed report soon. I use only normal fuel. All through the journey I maintained speeds between 90 to 100 kmph and the rpm was between 2500 and 2750.
Your driving habits must be extremely good to get this kind of FE on the kappa. I never managed to get more than 17 on the highway.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:59   #84
Senior - BHPian

Upon introduction, Hyundai advertised Kappa as "We spent crores to develop a new engine, so that you'll get better power and better mileage too". Wonder what was the motive behind spending crores -
1. EU legislation on emission?
2. Better engine for automatics?

When I had a test drive of the i10 kappa, I found that low end torque was dismal. This is not suitable for my 'sedate' driving style, may be it's suited for people who rev the engine highly.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:23   #85
BHPian

When I drive on the highways, mostly I avoid braking;even my speed drops down, say to 60 kmph, I do not change gears nor rev the engine unnecessarily. Build up speed gradually. All this I learnt from driving my Premier Padmini and still i get 15kmph from that vehicle - 17 year old vehicle non a/c.
My third service is also over and the odometer reading stands at 8235.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:39   #86
BHPian

Gear no. 5 @ 40 ?

I read on hyundai site, for fuel saving tips-
Try to maintain the car in 5th gear within 60kmph (so far so good)
and, if the speed happens to drop to 40, no down shifting is required!!( is this observed by any/all?)
I shift to 5th gear at 50~55, otherwise the engine feels loaded, gives a Hummmm Hummmm sound in the cabin ! (like Bass.)

Other i10-ers, what are your shifting patterns (rpm & speeds please).

My current Mileage
Odo: 470
Fuel consumed till date: 34.43 L (approx, as per the Fuel indicator, and adding to prev reading)
FE= 13.65

Driving conditions:
City with 60% A/c - 60% of total driving
Highway with 80% A/c - 40% of total driving

Revs below 4000, and shifting at 2000~2500.

Care

Ace.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:33   #87
BHPian

What is given on Hyundai site is more or less correct.
The load/pull in a given gear can be more ascertained looking at RPM as opposed to speed( though speed would eventually map to RPM in a given gear ). Essentially, i10 would pick up in any gear on pressing the accelerator if RPM >= 1K. You will feel the bass sound only if RPM has dropped a tad below 1K and downshifting hasn't been done.

For best fuel efficiency do gear shifts within 2K RPM and avoid un-necessary down shifts as long as you can pull in a given gear at RPM >= 1K RPM.

Avoid rapid acceleration followed by braking and downshifting, use your judgement to cruise as long as possible in a higher gear unless of course you have to stop

I personally use IOC Extra premium( it seems to be recommended even on Hyundai website for i10 ). Without AC and with Delhi city traffic I get an average of 15.X( .2 to .8 ) without AC using tank full to tank full these days. Best results are seen if driven within 2K RPM ( though this will limit your max speed to around 80kmph [ 5th gear ] in the city - which is a fair maximum speed for city driving )

Last edited by svaid : 4th April 2010 at 13:36.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:25   #88
BHPian

When we drive the vehicle most of us loose the patience to drive at say 40 kmph in a highway when you have been driving at 80 kmph. We immediately bring down the gear, pick up speed and again attain 80 kmph where one feels comfortable in a highway.

Try to maintain the same gear, gradually very gradually increase speed - all the while keep an eye on the rev meter - ensure it rises gradually - my car would have never seen 3500+ rpm - you are bound to get mileage.

Your vehicle gradually gets acclimatised to this sort of driving! Let us get the most out of every drop of fuel !
Old 9th April 2010, 00:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
When we drive the vehicle most of us loose the patience to drive at say 40 kmph in a highway when you have been driving at 80 kmph. We immediately bring down the gear, pick up speed and again attain 80 kmph where one feels comfortable in a highway.

Try to maintain the same gear, gradually very gradually increase speed - all the while keep an eye on the rev meter - ensure it rises gradually - my car would have never seen 3500+ rpm - you are bound to get mileage.

Your vehicle gradually gets acclimatised to this sort of driving! Let us get the most out of every drop of fuel !
What you say is true - but everytime I hit the road, there is one tiny prick from inside to slam the gas pedal down, prop teh rpm to 5k and feel the thrust!

Live to drive - remember
Old 15th April 2010, 18:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

just checked the FE on my I10 for the first time. its run 800 odd kms

primarily city driving - but not at all bumper to bumper. its almost like 3,4,5 th gear driving. but with A/C on all the time

FE was 10.38kmpl
i hope it improves after 1st service
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks