Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 14:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

No set pattern. Let's put it this way, it happens the FIRST time you try to get into 5th gear at lower RPMs, as far as I can recollect. The engine temperature doesn't seem to have much to do with it. However, the stalling has happenned only once which was about 10 mins after start up. The near-stalling las t week also happenned at the same time, so can't be exactly called a "cold" engine.

On the other occasions it simple behaves like a fuel-starved / air-starved engine but has stalled just that once. I am worried, but the scanner doesn't seem to show any issues. There is a highway drive in the offing, if it happens again, we start diagnosis.

I am willing to live with it on the condition that it happens once or twice, but don't want to rush into making my car a guinea pig by Fiat changing fuel pumps, injectors, clutch plates or any thing else arbitrarily.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:13   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am willing to live with it on the condition that it happens once or twice, but don't want to rush into making my car a guinea pig by Fiat changing fuel pumps, injectors, clutch plates or any thing else arbitrarily.
Well said.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, have completed 18000kms on my SDX and havent suffered from anything that has been quoted on this thread, apart from the hard clutch, to which I think I am already getting use to.

If I remember correctly most of us MJD owners on TBHP including you Archi, use non premium fuels as mentioned in our manuals, I think its just me who has only used premium fuel from day 1, can this be the difference. I am not sure !

By the way guys, I am thinking hanging a little bit of Nimboo Mirchi after self praising my Kala Ghoda so much
Old 20th August 2009, 20:30   #78
BHPian

Any Roof top carriers for Palio MJD

Any Roof top carriers for Palio MJD to carry extra luggage on long drives without reducing the fuel economy with extra wind drag

Running Blower with engine off will kill battery charge,I had a tough time on a busy intersection ,now I switch off engine and blower togather

A 12v vacum cleaner is doing gud work on dust internally on the mats and carpet.
Old 21st August 2009, 00:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

amarprusty really loves accessories, and he keeps enquiring about them. But I wouldn't put a roof top carrier on this car.

Regarding the blower, I never run anything electrical if the engine is off. No blower, no stereo, no horns, nothing except the occasional power window or the central locking (which I can't help). That's a sure shot way of reducing battery life of the already wonderful Exide OEMs in the car. The alternator is the source of current for everything so best to run the engine. The battery should be kept in the pink of health for those first-crank starts.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
amarprusty really loves accessories, and he keeps enquiring about them. But I wouldn't put a roof top carrier on this car.

Regarding the blower, I never run anything electrical if the engine is off. No blower, no stereo, no horns, nothing except the occasional power window or the central locking (which I can't help). That's a sure shot way of reducing battery life of the already wonderful Exide OEMs in the car. The alternator is the source of current for everything so best to run the engine. The battery should be kept in the pink of health for those first-crank starts.
Accesories make life easy in my MJD which is home away from home on the move,my Red beauty has:

1.Cell battery charger on 12V cigarette lighter port
2.Vacum cleaner on 12V cigarette lighter port
3.Tubeless Radial Puncture Kit
4.Fiat Manuals & Service Booklet
5.First Aid Kit
6.Car Papers Insurance & RC book

Searching for:
1.Searching for a boot light still
2.Air pump on 12V cigarette lighter port for any flat tyres in nowhere situations

Learnt my lesson Architect will abide by ur word now,however just the stereo will be fine without engine on only on battery on busy red lights to soothe ur nerves and avoid road rage with SUV's,taxi's and sedans
Old 21st August 2009, 21:18   #81
BHPian

One more update

My car failed to start today in my office parking.
It worked only up to the point where the coil light appears and after that it was free. No iginition.
Called Tata motors helpline and they were there in 30 minutes.
Helped in starting the car. Then i took the car to Dhingra motors gurgaon with them and they fixed the issue in 2 hours flat by changing the hose surrounding the key lock under warranty (costs around 700 bucks).
Good, they had the spare part
I never expected such a good service from tata motors.
Old 22nd August 2009, 05:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Prusty ji,

Boot light is actually quite simple. If there's cabling in the rear use that, else buy one for 300 bucks, spend another 100 bucks on the cable/installation - running it from the dashboard - like the amp cables are run - next to the footboard. Should be very simple.

Air pumps are easily available and cheap too. Try JC road or go to ebay.in - YMMV

@vikas - how much has your car done? 40k?
Old 24th August 2009, 09:45   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Prusty ji,

@vikas - how much has your car done? 40k?

It's 35K. I got the service done 2.5K kms earlier due to some gear shift issues.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:13   #84
BHPian

"One more updateMy car failed to start today in my office parking.
It worked only up to the point where the coil light appears and after that it was free. No iginition.
Called Tata motors helpline and they were there in 30 minutes."Helped in starting the car. Then i took the car to Dhingra motors gurgaon with them and they fixed the issue in 2 hours flat by changing the hose surrounding the key lock under warranty (costs around 700 bucks).
Good, they had the spare part
I never expected such a good service from tata motors."

@vikas - Even I had a similar symptoms on my 1.6. The cause however was different; there was Copper Hydroxide formation near the battery leads, leading to loss of contact. The mechanic removed the lead cable and scraped it and the terminal lead with an emury paper. The issue was not a clean contact between the cable and the battery terminal and possibly could have happened when driving over rough roads, when a small gap is formed between the cable and the terminal and then gets filled with the hydroxide. This occured once more just after the monsoon set in and I corrected it myself.
Now I ensure when I give the car for washing, the battery terminals are covered with some plastic bag, to delay the formation of the hydroxide as far as possible. I also now and then make sure the cables are well tightened and have not gotten loose after 3 to 4 weeks.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

@VikasB... Small issue, but must have given you some harrowing moments. Anything going wrong with a Fiat makes you worry about Diagnosis, Parts and Expense, in that order.

Just did 400 km on Saturday through some of the best roads (NH-8) and some of the worst (Khetri-Singhana). Tried to recreate stalling problem as well. Nothing. So, as the saying goes, let sleeping dogs lie.

Odo is at 27,000 km. Car seems to be trouble-free so far. Even the incorrect camber seems to have minimal effect on tyre wear. Switching to Yokohamas has given me the first two punctures, but nitrogen filling has made life easier. Highly recommended. The Palio Multijet is a great car to have, even if the heavy clutch is a pain. Touch Wood.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:59   #86
BHPian

Quote:
@VikasB... Small issue, but must have given you some harrowing moments. Anything going wrong with a Fiat makes you worry about Diagnosis, Parts and Expense, in that order.
Very true

Btw i am seeing lot of puntos in town.
Does FIAT have any scheme of exchanging a palio mjd with a punto mjd?
Old 25th August 2009, 17:40   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Switching to Yokohamas has given me the first two punctures, but nitrogen filling has made life easier. Highly recommended.
Do (2) puncture , in past three weeks I have to & froed Delhi-Dehradun-Delhi 3 times and Archi you know that it is one of the worst highway NH24 and I havent suffered the puncture yet. Touch wood, my A-Drives are now 17000kms old.

I hope your punctured tyre was not the one that is being affected by incorrect camber.

I think we Palio owners should keep a piece of wood in our dash board

By the way where is south Delhi you get the Nitrogen from?
Old 27th August 2009, 15:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
I hope your punctured tyre was not the one that is being affected by incorrect camber.
As a matter of fact, one of them was. The other one was so severe, it drained out overnight. Just when I had to leave for a meeting, I had a flat, immediately after a shouting from my boss! Took 10 minutes to fix, and was covered in sweat at the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
By the way where is south Delhi you get the Nitrogen from?
Servicircle, HP pump at NH-2, Ashram

Last edited by architect : 27th August 2009 at 15:43.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:23   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Accesories make life easy in my MJD which is home away from home on the move,my Red beauty has:

Searching for:
1.Searching for a boot light still
Hi,
You can get one of those LED lamps, a circular one, that can be fixed on to practically any surface using the adhesive tape at the back. It runs on 2 or 3 AA cells. Just fix it on the boot lid or somewhere. Must be quite useful. I saw one at the Big Bazar for Rs. 300 or so. The contraption with a radius of around 5cm has 3 LED lamps and it can be individually operated by tapping on the sides of each light. Check it out.
Cheers.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:29   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Hi,
You can get one of those LED lamps, a circular one, that can be fixed on to practically any surface using the adhesive tape at the back. It runs on 2 or 3 AA cells. Just fix it on the boot lid or somewhere. Must be quite useful. I saw one at the Big Bazar for Rs. 300 or so. The contraption with a radius of around 5cm has 3 LED lamps and it can be individually operated by tapping on the sides of each light. Check it out.
Cheers.
Thanks never thought of this option honestly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks