Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 15:17   #421
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 6 years and 1,28,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
So what are my stable, boring choices?

Swift Diesel (same engine again in almost the same state of tune)?
i20 Diesel?
Figo?
or the supremely boringly reliable Liva diesel?
Wait for Jazz 1.5 iDTEC
Old 12th February 2014, 23:16   #422
BHPian

Quote:

As of now, a leak in the power steering system (small leak which makes you top-up a few ml of PS fluid every fortnight)
Here is a small suggestion: are you absolutely sure there is a leak in the PS assembly or are you only faced with the depletion of power steering fluid too soon, and you don't know where the actual leak is?

If the answer is yes to the latter, do this. Check the power steering fluid container when the engine is running. If you notice the fluid kind of boiling (not actually boiling, but bubbling up), there is an issue with the container itself. There is a filter built in (at the bottom of the container, looks like a pencil) that may have clogged. It is almost impossible to to clear the debris. You only need to change the entire coolant container to get rid of this problem. Kava will be able to help you to get a replacement.

Thanks.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 23:17   #423
Senior - BHPian

The 1.5 DTEC is also a super-boring engine. With negligible turbo-lag, 26 kmpl efficiency and tall gears, I had to hunt for that 100 PS of power, God knows where it was all hidden. The Amaze rides like a small car and loses composure over bad patches, the City with diesel engine is already in the Duster territory in terms of price. Let's see what the Jazz does.
Old 12th February 2014, 23:21   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
If the answer is yes to the latter, do this. Check the power steering fluid container when the engine is running. If you notice the fluid kind of boiling (not actually boiling, but bubbling up), there is an issue with the container itself. There is a filter built in (at the bottom of the container, looks like a pencil) that may have clogged. It is almost impossible to to clear the debris. You only need to change the entire coolant container to get rid of this problem. Kava will be able to help you to get a replacement.
I'll do the check but I had multiple leakages in the PS assembly (a) at the base of the cylinder where the pipe joins it (b) at the U-shaped pipe in the underbody (c) at the base of the steering wheel near the clutch pedal (drops on the carpet). (a) and (b) are fixed but (c) isn't. But I'll do this check. I have checked the container multiple times with the engine running and even while turning the wheel but didn't notice bubbles. Still no harm in doing it again.
Old 13th February 2014, 13:17   #425
BHPian

Architect,
Please do not sell your beauty.The multijet will last with atleast a lakh more of kilometres. All what she neads is a fresh coat of paint and new headlights. The dulled out headlamps do make your car look a bit tired.
Take care. Drive safe.
Sreehari
shk 8896 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 21:37   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Architect,
Please do not sell your beauty.The multijet will last with atleast a lakh more of kilometres. All what she neads is a fresh coat of paint and new headlights. The dulled out headlamps do make your car look a bit tired.
Take care. Drive safe.
Sreehari
Thanks for being encouraging. As I said, I cannot sell this car for another couple of years as I don't plan to buy a new one. Currently I am being offered one lakh for it, and considering that any new car in the diesel B+ segment will be about Rs 7 lakhs or so, it makes no difference if I sell this car now or later. The only issue is that parts are very prohibitively priced, so I don't want to get into replacement of headlamps or repainting the car because that will cost another 50,000 or so.
Old 23rd March 2014, 01:01   #427
BHPian

Architect,

Hope your Palio is doing well as always.

This thread is a ready reference for all Palio MJD owners. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Couple of things I wanted to ask you - 1) When do we need to replace the Timing Chain/Belt? 2) My Palio's suspension makes a rumbling noise on bad roads and the ride on rough / patchy roads is not smooth either. Have you replaced the suspensions / lower arms on your Palio?

My Car's odo is at 91k and is due for service shortly.

TIA
Lloyd
Old 25th March 2014, 00:04   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Architect, Hope your Palio is doing well as always.
This thread is a ready reference for all Palio MJD owners. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks, just try to be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Couple of things I wanted to ask you - 1) When do we need to replace the Timing Chain/Belt? 2) My Palio's suspension makes a rumbling noise on bad roads and the ride on rough / patchy roads is not smooth either. Have you replaced the suspensions / lower arms on your Palio?d
The original instruction manual says Timing Chain is to be 'checked' and 'replaced it needed' at 60,000 km and defnintiely 'replaced' at 1,20,000 km. However, recently a new update was given to Punto and Linea owners that it needs to be replaced at 60,000 km since it seems some cases of timing chain breakage were reported.

I changed mine at 1,00,000 km and I suggest you do the same now.

Front suspension was replaced in parts, starting at 90,000 km and upto 1,05,000 km. Rumbling noise, especially over bad patches is sure-shot sign that the lower arms need to be changed.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 18:04   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, just try to be of help.

The original instruction manual says Timing Chain is to be 'checked' and 'replaced it needed' at 60,000 km and defnintiely 'replaced' at 1,20,000 km. However, recently a new update was given to Punto and Linea owners that it needs to be replaced at 60,000 km since it seems some cases of timing chain breakage were reported.

I changed mine at 1,00,000 km and I suggest you do the same now.

Front suspension was replaced in parts, starting at 90,000 km and upto 1,05,000 km. Rumbling noise, especially over bad patches is sure-shot sign that the lower arms need to be changed.
Hi Architect Great going for your Palio.
Regarding the Timing chain replacement at 60k, its applicable only for the 90 HP Engines not for 75 HP engines.
parimal_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 20:53   #430
BHPian

Thanks Architect. The Car is going for service next week. I will surely ask them to check the lower arms & timing chain.
Old 31st March 2014, 10:57   #431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 6 Years- 1,28,000 kms

6 years will be up at the end of the week. The car was delivered to me on April 6, 2008. I will be going for my 1,27,500 km service next weekend as well. Issues currently with the car are as follows:

1. Ice formation on refrigerant pipes if AC runs for more than 2 hours at a stretch which leads to cooling stoppage.
2. A leak in the Power Steering Assembly system. I have been topping up Power Steering fluid by about 50 ml or so every two weeks.

Both issues have been there since July / August 2013 (almost 7-8 months). The P S assembly costs Rs 32,000 for the Stile and Rs 19,000 for the retro Palio and they are the same! Needless to say I will buy the latter. The AC system will have to be thoroughly checked as I haven't even topped up gas or done anything on the AC in six years.

Last two years have been problematic (and expensive) because of the radiator giving up twice in two accidents, the intercooler having got damaged in an accident as well. I am on my third battery now. The suspension in front has been overhauled fully. The timing chain has been changed and clutch has been changed at 1,00,000 km. After investing this kind of money, I intend to keep this car for another year or two. The new Linea is tempting for everything except the engine but I don't have ten big ones with me.

So here's the story so far. Six years will close at around 1,28,000 km. That's about 21,300 km a year. Phew!
Old 31st March 2014, 23:51   #432
BHPian

Quote:
6 years will be up at the end of the week.

So here's the story so far. Six years will close at around 1,28,000 km. That's about 21,300 km a year. Phew!
Congratulations! And anything > 20K per year is above average mileage per year.
Since you are frequently on long trips a new car will be necessary sooner than later I guess.

In my case, the reducing quantum of driving encourages me to think about keeping the Stile for another 5 years if possible. Your list of parts replacement expenditure scares me but the prices of new cars scare me even more. On the positive side, the kmpl figures are still rock solid.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:16   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Congratulations! And anything > 20K per year is above average mileage per year.
Since you are frequently on long trips a new car will be necessary sooner than later I guess.

In my case, the reducing quantum of driving encourages me to think about keeping the Stile for another 5 years if possible. Your list of parts replacement expenditure scares me but the prices of new cars scare me even more. On the positive side, the kmpl figures are still rock solid.
My weekly commute is 400 km. Outstation travel is extra. This is all set to
increase as I am moving even farther away in the next two years.

Three of my most expensive parts replacements: Bumper, two radiators and intercooler have been due to two accidents and not failures.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:55   #434
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 6 years and 1,28,000 km

Bumping this thread after a long time I guess.

The odometer stands just shy of 1,35,000 km now. Service is due sometime this month.

Since last service, I have had one visit to the service station because of a vibrating sound somewhere up front whenever I engage clutch when the AC is on. Everything was checked and some bits and pieces were tightened but the sound remains.

At the moment, at 1,35,000 km the car has the following issues:

1. Vibrating noise when releasing clutch with AC on since last 5,000 km or 3 months. The engine mounts have not been changed yet and I intend to replace them and then see if the noise goes. No issues with the functioning of the car / engine / clutch / AC.

2. Rear left shocker is leaking since last 7,000-8,000 km (4-5 months). Both will need replacement.

3. Power Steering is leaking since July 2013 or about 25,000 km. I top up the fluid container once in 2 weeks and it has consumed 750 ml of P S fluid in the last one year.

4. Some bearing noise has crept in: most likely it is from the alternator tensioner bearing (replaced once at about 60,000 km).

5. Lost of dents and nicks thanks to Delhi, and now Ghaziabad, traffic.

6. The radiator gave up on the way to Pilani last October, it was M-sealed and driven back 350 km to Delhi and the radiator replaced. This happened because it had taken a hit in January and was not replaced then.

7. The P S fluid container valve gave way one day just outside home. I re-filled it and drove to Kashyap where it was fixed. This is separate from the minor leak mentioned in (3) above which persists.

8. The brake booster just gave up one day. Drove to Kashyap while it still had some life left and it was replaced, along with brake cylinder.

9...and the engine coolant thermostat valve gave way another day just outside home. The car managed to be driven to Kashyap and was fixed.

Considering that 6,7,8 and 9 may be considered serious parts failures and they happened within a span of a few weeks, I am a little apprehensive about the long-term reliability of this car now.

The expected damage for the current known issues is about Rs 42,000 for parts and a quote of Rs 35,000 full body work for a car that won't fetch me a lakh in the market. But that doesn't matter because I intend to keep it in good mechanical condition while I keep it. I don't think I will do the cosmetic work.

To its credit, in the last 15 months WITH these known, the car has pulled off 800 km trips to Uttarakhand (twice), a 3,000 km trip to Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan (with a 1,250 km single stretch run in 23 hours), two 600 km trips to Pilani and Agra-Fatehpur Sikri, besides the usual daily run of 50-100 km everyday.

At the moment, I am not in a position to buy a new car for several reasons:

1. Unclear plans of shifting residence
2. Unclear career plans which might result in shifting my field of work, shifting cities or even countries of residence.
3. An unexplained phobia of the paperwork involved in selling off my old cars. If I buy a new one and (1) or (2) happen, I will have to do the same painful process twice.
4. No intention of taking a car loan and not having enough surplus cash to buy a new car cash down.

Which is why, for now, I intend to flog this vehicle (and stop outstation trips, if necessary) for another two years or so now. If things get worse in terms of reliability, I will just practice what I preach as an architect and take the Metro to work everyday.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 00:26   #435
BHPian

Hi
I have Palio Stile 1.6. Few days back it's brake started giving problem. Brake padle remain pressed on applying and does not come back to original position. It needs pumping initially after starting the car. Later it works to some extent once car is in motion. However once it remained depressed while in motion and brakes got heated when my friend was driving. What can be the problem? Can rat bite or rain have its effect? Or brake booster is culprit? Can brake booster be repaired? Cost of brake booster on 99rpm.com is around 10000 rupees. I have not checked brake fluid level. I know it is dangerous. I use it on weekends only. Please share your experiences and as usual suggestions are welcome. It's 2007 model.
-Sanjay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks