Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 13:42   #511
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
3. Nexon (most likely petrol)
I test drove the Nexon diesel last day and would recommend that you please try it out instead of the petrol.

Out of all the above - I would have been confused between the Ecosport diesel and the Nexon diesel. Ecosport looks like the better car, but is it better to command such a premium over the Nexon? That would be my main confusion.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:16   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I test drove the Nexon diesel last day and would recommend that you please try it out instead of the petrol.

Out of all the above - I would have been confused between the Ecosport diesel and the Nexon diesel. Ecosport looks like the better car, but is it better to command such a premium over the Nexon? That would be my main confusion.
The problem with Nexon and Ecosport diesels is the price premium commanded by diesel, especially Nexon. Even with the old model, the Ecosport diesel is pricier by 50,000 though it gets few features over the Nexon (comparing old ES Trend+ to Nexon XM). Nexon makes it worse because of the waiting since if we go for Ecosport diesel, we get the old model immediately, The New Ecosport, being pricier by over a lakh, with the same powertrain doesn't make much sense.

On the contrary the Nexon XM petrol is a deal at 7.6 lakhs on road. Ecosport new petrol Ambient (comparable to Nexon XM) is 8.6 lakhs. Both will be delivered only in January.

Though the Ecosport drives better, the Nexon felt more spacious and comfortable, if one ignores the harder seats (the NEW Ecosport has harder seats than the old one, though).

Then the discussion gets worse when you think of diesel and bring TUV into the fray. It is cheap, spacious, abuse-friendly, will deliver soon, but not refined or very efficient.

Similarly, for petrols, bring the Zest petrol XT into the picture, you get a fully loaded car at under 7 lakhs on road.

I suppose diesel / petrol needs to get sorted first.

Last edited by architect : 13th November 2017 at 14:20.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:19   #513
BHPian

Quote:
We've now reached the decision to not make any big ticket spending on this car. We've done our rounds of the showrooms and our contenders are:

1. Ecosport (old model diesel with big discounts or new model petrol)
2. TUV 300 (T6+ MT)
3. Nexon (most likely petrol)
4. some other cars like Zest XT petrol, Jazz SV MT petrol or Jazz CVT.
5. One distant contender is a Punto Evo Emotion with big discounts

It's all messed up right now.
6. Toyota Etios Vd

Cost per KM after 2L kms, would be much much lesser for the Etios. In addition, the TASS's wonderful experience would be quite an overwhelm over what you have been through with FASS.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:22   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The problem with Nexon and Ecosport diesels is the price premium commanded by diesel, especially Nexon. Nexon makes it worse because of the waiting since if we go for Ecosport diesel, we get the old model immediately (new Ecosport is even more pricey with the same powertrain).
As per the Bangalore dealership - The waiting period on the Nexon depends on the colours. Infact, they had some colours ready for delivery.

Diesel / petrol is a big issue these days. And I can understand - there is a certain fear investing more into a diesel powered vehicle, not knowing what our governments are upto!
Old 13th November 2017, 14:22   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
6. Toyota Etios Vd.
That's PLAN C. But Toyota showroom behaviour is not known for its greatness. Neither the service. Only their cars are great in quality.
Old 16th November 2017, 00:05   #516
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with Nexon and Ecosport diesels is the price premium commanded by diesel, especially Nexon. Even with the old model, the Ecosport diesel is pricier by 50,000 though it gets few features over the Nexon (comparing old ES Trend+ to Nexon XM). Nexon makes it worse because of the waiting since if we go for Ecosport diesel, we get the old model immediately, The New Ecosport, being pricier by over a lakh, with the same powertrain doesn't make much sense.

On the contrary the Nexon XM petrol is a deal at 7.6 lakhs on road. Ecosport new petrol Ambient (comparable to Nexon XM) is 8.6 lakhs. Both will be delivered only in January.
The advantage of the Ecosport petrol is that it has a naturally aspirated engine vs. a turbo charged in the case of Nexon. The turbo is going to be more expensive to maintain, the turbo charged engine makes lesser bhp compared to the naturally aspirated Ecosport petrol and will have a turbo lag.
The Nexon diesel trumps the Ecosport diesel but the Ecosport Petrol is a better choice than the Nexon petrol.
Old 16th November 2017, 00:16   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect

That's PLAN C. But Toyota showroom behaviour is not known for its greatness. Neither the service. Only their cars are great in quality.
Have you checked out the i20 diesel? Or the Ford Aspire?

If you consider petrol options,Suzuki Baleno and Toyota Etios are great options in that budget.Even the Ertiga Petrol can be considered.

I would urge you to consider a 7 year auto loan to finance a car you will probably keep for the next 10 years.

Last edited by drsingh : 16th November 2017 at 00:20.
Old 16th November 2017, 14:17   #518
Senior - BHPian

After much deliberation, we have gone ahead and made a booking.

The Palio has gone out of action at a time when I need a car the most, due to some personal and professional reasons. Spending Rs 20,000-30,000 on it is not justified anymore due to this being a terribly expensive year already., maintenance wise for a car which will no longer be street legal or sustainable to run after March 2018. I can't complain about a car that has run 1,96,000 km in 9 and a half years and never stopped on the road. It has been a loyal, sturdy ride despite its issues. For a 5 lakh rupee car, I have extracted my money's worth from it.

Waiting 1-2 month for a petrol Ecosport or a petrol / diesel Nexon is not merely a cost issue but a major issue due to the peculiar circumstances of managing 2-3 sites which are on war footing. I cannot borrow my sister's Baleno or Father-in-Law's Bolt for ever.

Instead of looking at the situation like victims, we have gone ahead to take a positive step and made a booking for a TUV300 T6+ MT at Mahindra.

Unless, we change our minds about a diesel or get a better offer on an old model Ecosport, we will probably take delivery soon. We are getting a reasonable scrap value and exchange bonus on the Palio from Mahindra and also getting a minor cash discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The advantage of the Ecosport petrol is that it has a naturally aspirated engine vs. a turbo charged in the case of Nexon. The turbo is going to be more expensive to maintain, the turbo charged engine makes lesser bhp compared to the naturally aspirated Ecosport petrol and will have a turbo lag.
The Nexon diesel trumps the Ecosport diesel but the Ecosport Petrol is a better choice than the Nexon petrol.
We were in the same quandary. But bottom line is that we are not getting either car before January 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Have you checked out the i20 diesel? Or the Ford Aspire?

If you consider petrol options,Suzuki Baleno and Toyota Etios are great options in that budget.Even the Ertiga Petrol can be considered.

I would urge you to consider a 7 year auto loan to finance a car you will probably keep for the next 10 years.
Aspire: too low and not spacious enough. In many ways it is a cheaper and lower Ecosport. AT is made only to order.
Baleno: there's already one at home in CVT which sister drives.
i20 diesel: Wife does not prefer a Hyundai. Some issues with the brand.

Loan: We are not taking a loan. The only loan worth taking,at this stage in life, is for homes.

Last edited by architect : 16th November 2017 at 14:22.
architect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:31   #519
h14
BHPian

Congrats on the booking and sad to see the Palio go! Me too have parted ways from my Linea. Wishing you happy miles with the TUV.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:48   #520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Instead of looking at the situation like victims, we have gone ahead to take a positive step and made a booking for a TUV300 T6+ MT at Mahindra.
Congratulations!

Will surely be a totally different experience compared to the Palio. Sitting way higher, with loads of space around even though both are 4m machines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:05   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After much deliberation, we have gone ahead and made a booking..
Congratulations! Just like you, I too moved from a Fiat to a Mahindra (Palio 1.6 Sports to a Scorpio) in 2010, and haven't regretted it till now (touchwood!). Will look forward to your TUV's ownership review.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:06   #522
BHPian

Congratulations, but I still feel you should go for the higher powered version.Since you like to keep cars for a long time, this might seem underpowered.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:34   #523
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to Palio lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Congratulations, but I still feel you should go for the higher powered version.Since you like to keep cars for a long time, this might seem underpowered.
Its always good to have more power. But with only 10 Nm difference between peak torque between both variants (230 Nm at 1500 RPM vs 240 Nm at 1600 RPM) city driveability should be fine. Also the 100 BHP variants are well over 10.5 lakhs on road and judging by the refinement, fit-and-finish, overall maintenance costs, it didn't make much sense to us to plonk that additional 1.5 lakhs on it.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:36   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Its always good to have more power. But with only 10 Nm difference between peak torque between both variants (230 Nm at 1500 RPM vs 240 Nm at 1600 RPM) city driveability should be fine. Also the 100 BHP variants are well over 10.5 lakhs on road and judging by the refinement, fit-and-finish, overall maintenance costs, it didn't make much sense to us to plonk that additional 1.5 lakhs on it.
If you get a ready delivery for brezza/baleno diesel, will you take it?
In that case PM me.They are definitely better and not because they're more rugged, but because they're a lot more modern.
Old 16th November 2017, 17:27   #525
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to Palio lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
If you get a ready delivery for brezza/baleno diesel, will you take it?
Already have a Baleno CVT at home.

I have driven a Fiat Multijet Diesel Engine for ten years, 2 lakh km now. I am not really looking forward to another eight years of living with the same engine.
That is one difficulty with Brezza and Baleno diesel.

Most Viewed