Team-BHP - Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/56561-five-years-living-korean-product-chevrolet-optra.html)

She has done around 32000 km.
Me and Navin, both are running at the same speed in this area.
He’s planning to keep his car till 2011. He has a way superior machine and most probably she’ll serve him perfectly for long time to come.

I’ve no idea how long my car will last.
I’ve no idea how long I’m going to keep it.

But I’m not tired with her look, her feel, and with her mannerisms.
Her behaviour got better over the years. She has understood properly what it takes to keep my mouth shut.

Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra-face.jpg

She’s not a sprinter. She’s a cruiser. She’ll behave perfectly on so called high speed. She won’t ask for sound deadening layers for ICE fitment. She’ll help you to conceal all those speakers without damaging her body. And yet she’ll give you a perfectly balanced sound for an old man like me.
Definitely not something to enjoy in a car but albums like Richard Wagner’s Parsifal (conducted by Herbert Von Karajan) creates magic. Especially, during the night when the roads are clean. Air conditioner at low setting and right amount of warmth from seasoned leather upholstery surely add to the experience here.

Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra-side.jpg

How your car is going to behave will depends a lot on how you’re going to behave with your car. You look after it and it’ll look after your expectations. And of course it’ll vary here and there based on its overall construction and cost.

Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra-vertical.jpg

In Team-bhp we have mixed bag of perceptions about the Optra’s maintenance cost, which is mostly on the higher side. Let me give here some examples. Sundaram Motors have changed four parts for my car in these five years. Two out of those are regular wear and tear. Third one was front right shock absorber, where they felt it was little weak. Fourth one was my O2 sensor. So here goes the cost:

Front right parking light bulb – 73.60 (inclusive of tax and labour)

Security alarm switch under hood – 342.00 (inclusive of tax and labour)

Front right shock absorber – 3655.00 (inclusive of tax and labour)

O2 sensor – 8303.00 (inclusive of tax and labour)

Car has been through six times so-called regular services. Except for the first 1000km service none of them were according to their service book interval. Car went for service whenever I felt it should. Service consists of underbody wash, engine bay wash without anything but water. Oil check. Vacuum cleaning passenger area and luggage boot. Engine oil (Mobil1) and flushing oil been supplied by me from 10000km onward. Car is currently running with 2nd change. AC filter has been changed once. Air filter is replacement K&N and I do the cleaning myself.
Tyres are not exactly due for change but I would like to change those in next few months with a slight increment in profile. Current make is Potenza RE711, 205, 50/15. Our in house tyrewallah has given me an approval of my choice of Michelin PP2, 205, 55/15. Only comment he has made about softer sidewall. My current tyres have no marks from any gash or bang.
There is absolutely no rattle from any doors or body. Leather parts including steering wheel are absolutely fine. Electrical switches haven’t developed any play. No noise squeak from suspension. Headlamp bulbs were changed long back to Philips Rally 90/100. It was a present for my birthday from Robin. I did think about HID but after seeing light on Tadu’s Elantra, I’m not really keen.

Five years of living with a Korean product - Chevrolet Optra-back.jpg

So if there’s question as if I have any issues with my car, my answer would a BIG ZERO. I’m not the one who wants to sell his car every five years. Frankly I don’t see any logic there except for depreciation benefit.

Lovely Rudra. What really caught my attention was the mention of von Karajan - if that kind of music can sound good in a car, that must mean something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1254463)
what did you eat last night rudra???

Eat? Eat?

For a moment, I thought if I landed in the auto-image thread. Review and pics are actually competing with each.

Do you take only black color optra like this? or a AVEO in Platinum Metallic color which has run 12K and license plate beginning with KA 03 MJ xxxx also :D

:Shockked:.. Oh My GOD...

This is insane. Just by showing these pictures you can get 1L + when you try to sell it -- if at all.

easily one of the best pictures I have ever seen. what did you eat last night rudra???

Outright brlliant pictures and review. 5 years and she is still hot!. You must be treating her verrry nicely.

What is this? 5th year anniversary and not even an invite to a suitable party ?

hrag: eat eat eh? lol.

Short, precise review and great pix of exterior. Can we have something of the interiors too ? And can I ask for the pix of the 1.8 L engine?

And, there was ICE upgrade more than once right?

Do tell us how you have managed to keep your car looking so new even after 5 years. I try to keep my car (and my home) as clean and neat as yours, but am unable to do so (at all times) even with a lot of muscle work.

The no. of kms driven clearly shows how much road heat your car felted till date. But the level of neatness and cleanness is certainly commendable for a 5 year old car. I too have the same model and same color Optra with me but certainly i cannot take too much care as you do, no matter how much i desire.

Congratulations on completing 5 Years with this Korean beauty !!

PS: I am about to touch 80K mark in these 5 years :D, looks like my horse too deserves a writeup :)

Speechless Sir, Absolute mesmerizing pics !! Forget about reading anything, I was sunk in the pics itself.
I will not be surprised if somebody gives you more than what you have bought your car for? (Just for its maintenance and pics)

Wonderful to say the least
Abhi

Immaculately maintained Optra Rudrah... but then with yourself anything less would be unacceptable.

Beautiful pics, Rudra. The last one however wasnt rightly done. :D

Just curious, how much does a regular service cost you on an average?

Quote:

I’m not the one who wants to sell his car every five years. Frankly I don’t see any logic there except for depreciation benefit.
Rightly said. If there's nothing wrong with the car and it treats you well, why sell it?

Fantastic pictures and a great review Rudra! I have always been a fan of what you write and what you shoot!

awesome car and photography! It makes me want to own an optra
The number plates really look classy (btw, are they mandatory now?)

If you ever sell your car, post pics like that in the ad, and it should be sold within a matter of minutes :D

cheers and wishing you many more years of happy ownership!

EDIT: 100th post :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1254461)
Lovely Rudra. What really caught my attention was the mention of von Karajan - if that kind of music can sound good in a car, that must mean something.

Hrishi, mostly people listen to easy stuff in their car. Yes it sounds good and not to mention impeccable recording from Deutsche Grammophon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1254462)
Do you take only black color optra like this? or a AVEO in Platinum Metallic color which has run 12K and license plate beginning with KA 03 MJ xxxx also :D

We’ll do it one day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1254463)
what did you eat last night rudra???

Pasta with loads of veg.
Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 1254484)
anniversary and not even an invite to a suitable party?

Come home dear.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1254487)
Can we have something of the interiors too ? And can I ask for the pix of the 1.8 L engine?

Will do JK. I’ll try to do it tomorrow and post them. Sorry, it’s a mistake from my side.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
And, there was ICE upgrade more than once right?

Now when was this? Nothing much after this. Just tuned both the amps through Rockford Fosgate frequency CD and oscilloscope. Venu did that for me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vasudeva (Post 1254489)
Do tell us how you have managed to keep your car looking so new even after 5 years. I try to keep my car (and my home) as clean and neat as yours, but am unable to do so (at all times) even with a lot of muscle work.

Boss my house is not clean at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1254510)
The no. of kms driven clearly shows how much road heat your car felted till date. But the level of neatness and cleanness is certainly commendable for a 5 year old car. I too have the same model and same color Optra with me but certainly i cannot take too much care as you do, no matter how much i desire.

I think your city has lot add here too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx
I am about to touch 80K mark in these 5 years :D, looks like my horse too deserves a writeup :)

Do it soon. I’m really eager to know.
Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1254533)
Immaculately maintained Optra Rudrah...

My name is Rudra. Rudrah is another member here and your making mom frown. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1254534)
Just curious, how much does a regular service cost you on an average?

Average less than 1000/- every service.