Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Enjoy your mean machine
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy - wish you happy miles with this 1.6 GTX

like everyone said, "welcome to the 1.6 (GTX) club" do post pictures of the car and share the details of the cost incurred on the parts changed - bumpers, shocks, etc.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Ravv ! And well written. A few pics would have made the shop-alogue complete, though ..
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ravveendra. Palio group in Hyd is an active group. Will let you know when they are meeting next.

Can you please throw in some details about your trusted mechanic Srinivas. I am regular to Solar auto but there is lot to be desired from those guys.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:01   #20
BHPian

Congrats Ravv,

This is a hell of a machine, enjoy the beast..!!

pics please
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:03   #21
BHPian

Congrats Ravveendrra! The 1.6 GTX is indeed a hot hatch! Excellent way of writing down the buying report. Loved the smooth narration style...
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ravvs! That is one hell of a mean machine!
Thanks for sharing the minute details of your purchase experience. I've never driven a Palio 1.6, but my son has driven his pal's S10, and was gaga over it. He was even mentioning that the owner was contemplating to dispose of it.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Reading through the write-up, I got the feeling that I was reading the script of 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge 2'.

Congrats on the GTX Ravveendrra. Pics please!
Waiting to see the beauty tomorrow at Yoko's.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice post. Easily one of the better buying experiences that I have read in a long time. Congratulations as well. Also, you could create a thread devoted to the restoration of the GTX?
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:51   #25
BHPian

Congrats Ravendra,

Now which category do we place it, Ownership or travelogue. I prefer the first one.

Took all of 3 days to read your post before congragulating you....have a wonderful wonderful time...also at this rate, there are going to be more Fiat's in our chapter than any other marquee.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:57   #26
BHPian

congrats raveendra!

i had posted the ad on behalf of amey.
amey did let me know that some one from hyderabad is interested in the car and then in a few days he sms'd me saying that the car is sold to the same guy!

iv known amey and his car since the last 4 years so i can safely assure you that its been well maintained and driven only by him and as you said he prefers to drive it sedately though i remember him saying that he was racing with a octy tdi on the expressway and beat it at a top speed of 190 kmph!

congratz once again and i must say a well written review.i could almost imagine everything and yeah you missed the siddhivinayak darshan.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate. The lovely steering the the electric train like pull from the DOHC 1.6 is amazing.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:32   #28
BHPian

Congrats Raveendra for owning a beast!

Its a mean machine....i dont need to tell you now!

Happy miles of driving a Palio!
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Restoration project underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Reading through the write-up, I got the feeling that I was reading the script of 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge 2'.

Congrats on the GTX Ravveendrra. Pics please!
Waiting to see the beauty tomorrow at Yoko's.
Well as long as it does not turn into "Kahaani kimet ki" tis fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Nice post. Easily one of the better buying experiences that I have read in a long time. Congratulations as well. Also, you could create a thread devoted to the restoration of the GTX?
I started this thread with the intention of putting the story of the restoration and long term ownership reviews here, but the yarn-teller in me got the better of me. After all I am an old gas bag!!

I shall not clutter up the forum with numerous threads but shall post them in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congrats raveendra!

i had posted the ad on behalf of amey.
amey did let me know that some one from hyderabad is interested in the car and then in a few days he sms'd me saying that the car is sold to the same guy!

iv known amey and his car since the last 4 years so i can safely assure you that its been well maintained and driven only by him and as you said he prefers to drive it sedately though i remember him saying that he was racing with a octy tdi on the expressway and beat it at a top speed of 190 kmph!

congratz once again and i must say a well written review.i could almost imagine everything and yeah you missed the siddhivinayak darshan.
Hey thanks shanty. I have been meaning to PM you to thank you but between work, the GTX and kid, I've been busy.

Yes, Amey was quite amazed that I landed up in Mumbai and said so. He thought I was pulling his leg when I told him I had booked my tickets. When I met him on Saturday he said something to the effect that he was surprised to actually see me there.

LOL this will go down as one of the crazier things I have done in my life.

Update on the work done so far:

I thought that I would give myself and the GTX a rest on that day. A call from Arun changed that. He said he was heading out to 'New Mars' in Moosapet to meet Prabhu and asked me to join him. I jumped at the offer. Prabhu kindly TDed the GTX and the expression on his face was like "I do not know which is a bigger dud - Ravveendrra or the GTX".

Prabhu then took pity on me and the GTX and told me that someone was coming over in the afternoon to demonstrate a new machine which could precision cut the brake discs without removing them from the car. I jumped at the offer and went back in the afternoon. Post the disc cutting (by 0.15mm), Suren was the first to drive the car. When he shot down the driveway Prabhu and I were hanging on as we knew the car's brakes from before, we were pleasantly surprised to see brakes having a decent effect! The car stopped dancing when the brakes were applied. There is now some semblance of 'brakes' on the car. Prabhu was kind enough to do this as well as the bleeding for free. Thanks mate.

On Tuesday, I headed out to Srinivas to have a fuse changed (the A/c. blower stopped working after I tried a cigarette lighter to replace the one lost when Dr. saab left one on the roof and drove off into the horizon). I also fitted in the rear wheel bearings. (Cost Rs. 1300/- for the pair).

On Wednesday, I popped in to have the spark plugs changed (Lucas Super PRKSB7E6 @ Rs. 650/- for the set). I also changed the plug wires (Rs. 1200/- for a set of 4). I drained and changed the coolant and put in Castrol Diesel engine oil (Rs. 1300/- for coolant, oil and distilled water).

The following parts arrived on Wednesday. Front wheel bearigs (Rs.1200/- for the pair), Disc rotors (Rs.1800/- for the pair), Brake Pads (Rs. 950/- for the set), Fuel filter (Rs.160/-), Accelerator cable (Rs. 250/-), wiper blades (Rs. 320/-).

We already have the following parts bought in Mumbai: Headlights (Rs.3600/- for the pair), Rear Muffler (Rs. 3500/-), Rear bumper (Rs. 1650/-).

We are waiting for the front and rear shocks, mid muffler etc. to arrive before we go ahead and take the wheels off the car to fit everything in.

Tomorrow I hope to have the rims checked and remove the tubes from the tyres and have the A/c. checked, gas filled and compressor oil changed.

Cheers.
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy

heard from sagar about your ride, btw where are you picking up the parts here in hyd?

Most Viewed