Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 23:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
a noob question - is there any difference between the Palio GTX that Ravveendra has bought and the Palio 1.6 Stile thats on sale these days apart from the design changes?

And yeah, please post a few pics of those linea wheels on your car. Congrats once again!
Now thats a rather interesting question, even I was wondering about the same. As far as I know, the mechanicals are all same, only refreshed interiors and exteriors. Also I found the driving position to be little different, and somehow felt that the seats did not offer as much under-thigh support as well leading to a little different and less comfortable driving position. But it may or may not be the case as I drove the Stile for only 10-12 Kms.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 30th April 2009 at 23:33.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Now thats a rather interesting question, even I was wondering about the same. As far as I know, the mechanicals are all same, only refreshed interiors and exteriors. Also I found the driving position to be little different, and somehow felt that the seats did not offer as much under-thigh support as well leading to a little different and less comfortable driving position. But it may or may not be the case as I drove the Stile for only 10-12 Kms.

Regards.
AFAIK
the motor on Stile is in a slightly lower state of tune than one on GTX.
Old 1st May 2009, 00:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
AFAIK
Is it? The old palio's 1.6 developed 100ps of power, I am quite surprised to hear that the motor in stile has been detuned a bit. Does it have to do anything with the fact that it now has to adhere to Euro-3 norms?
Old 1st May 2009, 00:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

how much power does the stock 1.6 make after remapping?
Old 1st May 2009, 00:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

just saw this now... congrats buddy!
really enjoyed reading your story - extremely well written.

cheers
Old 1st May 2009, 00:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

@Raveendra, any reason why you opted for Pirelli's as opposed to Michelin PP2 or S-Drives? Is that because of requirement of lower profile R15 tyres?
Old 1st May 2009, 01:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
a noob question - is there any difference between the Palio GTX that Ravveendra has bought and the Palio 1.6 Stile thats on sale these days apart from the design changes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
AFAIK
I think the same motor in the Stile develops 98 bhp. The Stile is about 20mm longer and weighs about 20 kg less. The Stile (Series III Palio) somehow feels different. The engine seems more 'refined' in the Stile as opposed to the more 'bindaas' variety in the older GTX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
@Raveendra, any reason why you opted for Pirelli's as opposed to Michelin PP2 or S-Drives? Is that because of requirement of lower profile R15 tyres?
It is difficult to find footwear for the 6.0 J X 15" alloys. The min. width had to be 195mm. Michelin sells only 195/50 R15s, I was worried that the reduced sidewall would increase the chances of tyre damage and impact cushioning thereby causing undue stress on suspension components (195/60 R15s were out, as they would have probably scraped the sides of the wheel well in turns). By using the tyre size calculator, I figured that the ideal size was 195/55 R15 (an increase of 2.13% over the stock 175/65 R14s). Pirelli, Yokohoma and Hankook etc. make tyres that size. I picked the asymmetrical Pirelli P7s. I think that asymmetrical is the way to go for wider tyres like the 195. It is like having two tyres in one! I had used Pirelli P6 on my Corsa and was very happy with their performance.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 1st May 2009 at 01:47.
Old 1st May 2009, 03:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I think the same motor in the Stile develops 98 bhp. The Stile is about 20mm longer and weighs about 20 kg less. The Stile (Series III Palio) somehow feels different. The engine seems more 'refined' in the Stile as opposed to the more 'bindaas' variety in the older GTX.
Its a common misconception that the "100 16V" monogram adorning the fenders of the Palio 1.6 GTX/S10 meant that the engine made 100 horses. The fact is that no Palio in India has ever made that magical 100bhp in its stock form. My S10's manual says Max power - 100PS @ 5500 rpm. If anything, the lower kerb weight of the Stile 1.6 contributes to a lighter steering and a slightly quicker acceleration. The 1.6 Torque engine was Euro III ready since day one and absolutely no modifications have been made to it, unlike the changes that were made for the 1.2 NV (new D9 ECU instead of the older D8, getting the catalytic converter closer to the exhaust manifold for faster warmup during startup). I have personally done a back to back drive between my S10 and rudrah's 1.6 Stile and found the latter's steering to be lighter and slightly quicker in the 1st & 2nd gears. From 3rd onwards, the S10's short ratio box makes it quicker.

Ofcourse, the older GTX was of better quality all round, over the years cost cutting has brought down the quality in general and the price of the 1.6 as well. Here is a fantastic old thread by moralfibre where he painstakingly pointed out the differences between the GTX & 1.6 Sport NV (not Stile 1.6) :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fferences.html

If there was ever a Fiat engine in India that could match up to the 1596 CC Torque engine (32 bit ECU), it was the 1580 CC 98PS Torque engine (16 bit ECU) that was available only with the old look/1st gen Siena and Siena Weekenders. It was made available almost at the end of the 1st gen Siena's lifespan so very few people have driven one or even know about it for that matter. But from what I heard, the Palio's 1596 CC motor was no match to the 1580 CC one, the Palio's engine felt a bit restricted in comparison! Here is an old discussion on the two ( pg6,post #82) :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cs-here-6.html

Coming back to the thread, congratulations Ravveendrra and we are eagerly waiting to see your transformed ride shod with the Linea's alloys.. Cheers

Last edited by roms : 1st May 2009 at 03:23.
roms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2009, 19:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I figured that the ideal size was 195/55 R15 (an increase of 2.13% over the stock 175/65 R14s).
Did you make this correction while calculating the fuel efficiency?
Old 1st May 2009, 19:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Did you make this correction while calculating the fuel efficiency?
I have not re-filled after changing the tyres. Incidentally when I got the car it was shod with 185/60 R14 tyres which are 0.94% smaller than stock.

I personally feel that the small differences of 1% to 2% will not make too much of a difference to the FE figures. 1% of 10 Kmpl is only 0.1 kmpl which we normally ignore when quoting FE.

@ Roms, Thanks for those links to wonderfully informative and perceptive threads.

re. the 'lighter' steering on the Stile, I am not sure that 20 Kg can make that much of a difference. Do you think that we can attribute at least some of the 'lightness' to the tyres?
Old 1st May 2009, 20:28   #71
BHPian

my Palio is runn9ing with 195/60 R15. No problems.
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:04   #72
BHPian

Quote:
re. the 'lighter' steering on the Stile, I am not sure that 20 Kg can make that much of a difference. Do you think that we can attribute at least some of the 'lightness' to the tyres?
So far I have driven two Stile 1.6's. Both with stock 175/65 R14 rubber and they felt lighter than my S10, which also runs on stock size Michelin Energy XM1+. So there is a perceptible difference between the two IMO.
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:00   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Damm, Don't know how I missed this thread.

Hey Ravveendra, Man, you for sure are passionate about this car. Enjoy buddy.

I have seen 205/15" tyres on a S10 in Bangalore -- don't remember the profile though.

BTW, where are the pictures of the GTX with Linea shod alloys???

Also, do these Linea alloys cost just 13K?? -- even if ordered new?
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I have seen 205/15" tyres on a S10 in Bangalore -- don't remember the profile though.
I drive my petra on 205/50/R15 S Drives fitted on OZ racing alloys. Did mot see any drop in FE after changing from stock rims/tyres. I still get around 11kmpl in Bangalore which is okay for me.

But I will not recommend going for 205/55/r15 for Palios & petra as the rear tyres touches the wheel archs(lips) on potholes or speadbreakers.
195/55/R15 seems to be a better option though.

GD
Old 2nd May 2009, 13:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Pics - finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
my Palio is runn9ing with 195/60 R15. No problems.
That is good to know, means I am safe with the 195/55 R15s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
So far I have driven two Stile 1.6's. Both with stock 175/65 R14 rubber and they felt lighter than my S10, which also runs on stock size Michelin Energy XM1+. So there is a perceptible difference between the two IMO.
Thank you for the info. Perhaps they have changed the suspension geometry to make the steering lighter. One question begs to be asked though. Is it lighter at the cost of the 'straight ahead' ability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Damm, Don't know how I missed this thread.

Hey Ravveendra, Man, you for sure are passionate about this car. Enjoy buddy.

BTW, where are the pictures of the GTX with Linea shod alloys???

Also, do these Linea alloys cost just 13K?? -- even if ordered new?

The pics are coming up. Finally pointed my Kodak V610 at the GTX, the results are posted below.

The Linea alloys were sourced from an after-market alloy shop who had taken them off a Linea whose owner had shifted to 17" wheels. (Talk about luck!) I am sure that the showroom price is much more. trrk mentions in post no. 43 here that he saw a set of GTX alloys in the showroom and that they were priced between 3750/- to 4000/- per piece, I presume that the Linea's would be priced in the same range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
I drive my petra on 205/50/R15 S Drives fitted on OZ racing alloys. Did mot see any drop in FE after changing from stock rims/tyres. I still get around 11kmpl in Bangalore which is okay for me.

But I will not recommend going for 205/55/r15 for Palios & petra as the rear tyres touches the wheel archs(lips) on potholes or speadbreakers.
195/55/R15 seems to be a better option though.

GD
Correct, I agree with you, anything bigger than 195/55 R 15 or 195/60 R15 would cause scraping.

@ roms: 100 PS equals about 99 BHP. The same motors made in Turkey belt out 120 BHP. If that is so, the engine in the Stile is identical, perhaps they have changed the manner in which the engine delivers the same power. Maybe they have made it more linear?

Now for the pics: (Please note - no polishing or waxing has been done so far. I shall do it once the mechanical work is over.)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1761.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1751.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1753.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1757.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1762.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1765.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1746.jpg  

Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks