Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 13:00   #121
BHPian

35300kms, 7th Service Done.

Did the 7th Service on 9th Feb '10, at 34503 kms. The service was done approximately 5months and 7500kms after the last. It was another usual service with engine oil, oil filter, and air filter changed. Power steering fluid was also topped up by about 100ml.

The cracked plastic cowl (that had broken when I hit a concrete block left on the road) is related to the gear box unit and has been ordered since it was not in stock. It is there to prevent dust and water from affecting the gear selector cable. Also, the concrete block had hit the lower cross member and not the lower arm as I suspected. There was a slight dent to the cross member, where the lower arm meets it, which was hammered out.

All in all, it was a pleasant service experience. Looking forward to mile munching
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:47   #122
BHPian

Unni, you still keep clocking the miles. Good to hear that.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

Wow, looks like I've missed a lot of action on this thread! Good to hear that all is well & that the mile munching cotinues. I hope the cross member issue has been resolved long term!

About your Brake Discs, do check my comments on my Safari thread.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:44   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Unni, you still keep clocking the miles. Good to hear that.
Thanks Krish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Wow, looks like I've missed a lot of action on this thread! Good to hear that all is well & that the mile munching cotinues. I hope the cross member issue has been resolved long term!

About your Brake Discs, do check my comments on my Safari thread.
Yes, the cross member had a slight bend, which was hammered and straightened. This was done more so to ensure that the lower arm bush at the joint doesnt get worn off.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:52   #125
oss
BHPian

Man....you should be made the brand ambassador for Fiesta. Many more thousands of miles to come
Old 26th February 2010, 16:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Man....you should be made the brand ambassador for Fiesta. Many more thousands of miles to come
Don't I wish!! Thanks OSS
Old 8th August 2010, 15:58   #127
BHPian

31 months, 41800kms, 8th service done

I've been not driving a lot over the past few months, with the car being left at my home town for about 3months. Its been about a month since I got the car back, and am back to driving!!

The front discs were having some issues, and got the set changed during service.

Steering judder when braking lightly, at speeds between 60-80kmph. Diagnosed as a warped disc. Will not be covered under warranty since car has cross 10000kms (warranty coverage for disc is only till 10000kms it seems).

The service break up is as follows:

Parts:
1. Engine Oil - 4l - Rs774.25
2. Oil Filter - Rs333.85
3. Brake Rotter (2) - Rs2499
4. Brake Pad (2) - Rs1068

Labor:
1. Service - Rs784
2. Misc - Rs100
3. Brake Pad Renewal - Rs294
4. Rotter Renewal - Rs294

Total - Rs6889/-

Being with the car, and watching all this work getting done - Priceless

The steering judder has stopped and I'm back to braking with a smile! Although I've enough tyre tread to last another 15000kms, I'm thinking of changing all four by the time I touch 50000kms, which will not be a long way off, provided things go as planeed, and God willing.

Problems:

1. Right front fog lamp has developed a leak, and there is water vapour accumulation. Need to get that checked some time. I hope it does not lead to the reflector rusting off.
2. Slight rattle from the front right door. Guess its bound to happen, since it is the door thats used most often!! Could not get it attended to at the service, since they did not have stock of some bush that is used to hold the window glass in place.

PS: I've the old brake pads with me. They have a lot of life in them. The reason why they were changed was because the mechanic suggested that it'd be best to do it that way. Once the current/new pair run out, i'll use the old ones that are there with me.

Well, other than that its all smiles. Like I keep telling my better half (way better in fact), buying the 1.4 TDCI was one of the wisest investments ever!!
Old 8th August 2010, 21:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your issues were settled. But I wonder how the fog lamp developed a leak--did you hit something, or did a flying stone break the glass? How much does a set cost---as I doubt if they sell single pieces?

And how did the disc get warped?
Old 8th August 2010, 21:18   #129
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Like I keep telling my better half (way better in fact), buying the 1.4 TDCI was one of the wisest investments ever!!
I hop you meant your wife here and not the car. My wife is getting annoyed looking at the amount of time I spend looking after the the car....
Old 8th August 2010, 22:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
The steering judder has stopped and I'm back to braking with a smile! Although I've enough tyre tread to last another 15000kms, I'm thinking of changing all four by the time I touch 50000kms, which will not be a long way off, provided things go as planeed, and God willing.
Hi Unni,

happy to hear the update again.

When I did my last service, the service guys said that my rear wheel alloys have a slight bending and needs to be changed aloing with the Wheel change. (I am done 30K now and they are asking me to change at 40K). Bend for Alloys, I am hearing for the first time. Have you heard any such instances.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:21   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hi Unni,

Good to see that you have riden the beast for 41k kms till now. Wishing you more mile crunching.

Which service have you referred to? Had you the service done at Ford service workshop or outside. Also I didn't quite understand the labour cost breakup?

BTW why would you used old brake pads, once they are replaced?
Old 9th August 2010, 10:32   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good to know that your issues were settled. But I wonder how the fog lamp developed a leak--did you hit something, or did a flying stone break the glass? How much does a set cost---as I doubt if they sell single pieces?

And how did the disc get warped?
I've no clue how it developed a leak. The glass does not have any cracks. And, the location of the lamp is such that a stone hit from under body is also a rare chance. Maybe there is some gap that has developed between the glass and the reflector part. I'm not sure of the price of one, and like you rightly said, the chances of getting just one is remote.

I had asked the service advisor on how the discs can get warped, and he says usage!! He is like it happens at times. I've in fact trawled the internet looking for some conclusive information, and as it happens, there are 2 groups on this subject as well. One group talks about excessive heat generated when braking can cause disc warp, and another group says that it is linked to other components and not the rotor/disc in itself. Well, after the change, the steering judder has stopped and I'm hoping its the disc and not anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I hop you meant your wife here and not the car. My wife is getting annoyed looking at the amount of time I spend looking after the the car....
Good one! Yes, I meant my wife as the better half!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
When I did my last service, the service guys said that my rear wheel alloys have a slight bending and needs to be changed aloing with the Wheel change. (I am done 30K now and they are asking me to change at 40K). Bend for Alloys, I am hearing for the first time. Have you heard any such instances.
Alloys can have a bend. But, usually if you hit a pothole fast and hard, they crack. In your case, they might have got a slight bend. Why the tyre change though? If it has tread left for safe driving, just have the alloy changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Which service have you referred to? Had you the service done at Ford service workshop or outside. Also I didn't quite understand the labour cost breakup?

BTW why would you used old brake pads, once they are replaced?
I was referring to the 8th service. I've extended warranty and so by default get all my service done at Ford Service Centers. On the labour cost breakup, which part would you like to have clarification on? Just let me know.

The old brake pads have a lot of life left in them yet. Atleast for another 20-25000kms. The only reason why they were replaced was cause I put in new discs/rotors, and not because they had worn off.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:55   #133
Senior - BHPian

Unni, nice to know that the judder has gone & the braking is back to normal. As I had mentioned elsewhere, I think discs are an issue with the Fiesta, two sets of mine have been replaced under warranty.

42k kms in 31 months - good going
Old 9th August 2010, 10:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

unni
41800kms in 31 months - almost 44kms per day
And you said 3 months the car was idle, otherwise the odo might have crossed 50000kms? (because you like to touch border whenever you feel -LOL).
Now, with Your fiesta is back in good condition after the service, hope you will start driving more and more miles.!
Old 9th August 2010, 11:47   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the labour cost breakup, which part would you like to have clarification on? Just let me know.

What is the misc labour cost? I was under the impression that labour cost for the entire service was one figure. However you have broken down the cost into 4 sections, hence the query.

The old brake pads have a lot of life left in them yet. Atleast for another 20-25000kms. The only reason why they were replaced was cause I put in new discs/rotors, and not because they had worn off.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does replacing the brake discs also call for replacing the brake pads. Are these two changes in unison?

Please find below the link which gives the reason for warped disc. It says the warping might occur again if root cause is not rectified. Actually was going above my head.
Information on Brake pads, discs, calipers and fluid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks