Team-BHP - Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/57407-ford-fiesta-1-4-tdci-100-000-kms-update-14th-service.html)

Everybody knows the Fiesta. There are quiet a few reviews on it here and let me add mine to it. The car was bought in Jan ’08 and has done 19230km till date. Most of this mileage has been on the highways, it’s my inter-state Volvo!!!

A few days back I completed the 5th service, more so because of passage of time than mileage, and also because I’ve been doing my services slightly in advance. It’s been a pleasant experience through out and the car is holding up well. There has been many spur of the moment drives to Alleppey (my home-town), and all it takes is shampoo-water mix for the windscreen, diesel, and air-check. On most of these drives, the number of breaks is restricted to nature calls. Food is usually carried in the car and fuel stop is not needed if I tank up from Bangalore. There have been many trips where the car once started at home in B’lore is switched off only once I reach home in Kerala.

Of the 19230kms, maybe 150-200kms would have been without AC. The car is bone stock and I’ve touched a max of 140kmph (speedo). The OE MRFs have held up well through this time and has also provided pretty decent grip. I’m not someone who throws my car around corners, so it can be safely said that I’ve never done anything (till date) that has tested the limits of my tires. On a side note I maintain 31psi all around when I don’t have more than 3 people in the car.

The engine, as you may know is the 1.4L one, known more for its mileage capabilities than power. At 68bhp and 160Nm torque, mileage and drivability is all you get. Speed and acceleration involves gear changes, and it’s a pleasure thanks to the shift quality. A flick of the wrist is all what it takes. Quick overtaking when at speeds of about 60-70kmph is better done with a downshift to 4th, than flooring the pedal in 5th. Turbo kicks in at about 1800-2000RPM and things take on slightly more urgency. Keep it revving above 2000 and you are in the sweet spot. If you are looking for power, please look elsewhere and options are a plenty now.

I graduated from a 1995 model Zen to Fiesta and fell in love with the interiors. For sure there are many cars in the market with better plastic quality and feel, but the Fiesta interiors are great for me. More in-cabin space would have been welcome, because it does feel cramped a bit. From a Zen to a Fiesta, the interiors are spacious!!!

I have had one mishap where in I ended up climbing a divider to avoid crashing into a Scorpio that got on to the main road from the side. Damage?? None. I was lucky and the car had nil damage. Even the wheel-cover didn’t get thrown off. I did expect some severe suspension damage to the front-right, and in fact for a second after the crash I thought the wheel-well had got damaged. Reversed the car and parked by side of road to check for any damage. None was visible. That night I drove down to Alleppey (the trip was pre-planned) and next day got the car checked. No damage was reported. The components are built to last I guess, or I’m extremely lucky!!

If there is one thing I sorely miss, that would be ABS. There have been two instances where I have panic braked, and un-like some of the TBhpians who can pump (for lack of a better word) the pedal even when in a panic situation, I cant, I stomp on the pedal and hold it there. Only saving grace is that I have been able to stop on time.

Last, but not the least, I get a mileage of about 12-13kmpl in city with AC On always, and about 19-20kmpl on highways, again with AC On always. Fuel has always been HP Turbojet till about 17200kms, after that I’ve had Shell Normal Diesel and Extramile (once). After the price dip, I use Shell Normal in Bangalore and if out of state its Turbojet.

Positives:

- A driver’s car.
- I love the styling.
- Power Steering is just right for me. I get a feel of the road and it’s not tight at parking speeds.
- Gear shifts are a joy.
- Mileage is a boon.
- AC is effective and cools the cabin pretty well.
- Rear seat is comfy (or so my mom and wife says)
- “Thud” of the doors!!!

Negatives

- Power!!
- Lumbar support missing.
- Suspension noise, especially the front.

Accessories:

- ICE: Pioneer 4050 HU and 4 JBL Speakers
- GPS: SatGuide X430

Service Details: (Total Invoice Amount is the sum of all components that were changed, worked upon etc. The individual break-ups are given below Total Invoice Amount)

- First Service
- Recommended – 1month or 1500kms
- Done On – 26days and 1734kms
- Complaints - Nil
- Invoice Amount – Rs 0/-

- Second Service
- Recommended – 3months or 5000kms
- Done On – 72days and 4599kms
- Complaints – Slight oil leak where the turbo hose meets the unit.
- Invoice Amount – Rs 0/-

- Third Service
- Recommended – 6months or 10000kms
- Done On – 153days and 8723kms
- Complaints – Nil
- Total Invoice Amount – Rs 2520/-
- Wash Fluid Pouch – Rs 49.88
- Wiper Blade (2) – Rs 355.54/-
- Pollen Filter – Rs 171.65/-
- Oil Filter – Rs 307.70
- Neck Rest (2) – Rs 695.40/-
- Castrol Magnatec Professional (4lts) – Rs 657.76/-
- Wheel Balancing and Rotation - FOC

- Fourth Service
- Recommended – 12months or 20000kms
- Done On – 285days and 13618kms
- Complaints – Humming sound from engine, dashboard rattle on broken roads and clutch release has a metallic sound
- Total Invoice Amount – Rs 3163/-
- Oil Filter – Rs 307.70/-
- Castrol Magnatec (4lts) – Rs 770.68/-
- Wheel Weights – Rs 22.72/-
- Kit Tension Pulley – FOC (Engine humming, replaced under warranty)
- Service Charge – Rs 806/-
- Wheel Balancing – Rs 260/-
- Brake Check and Cleaning – Rs 234/-
- Wheel Alignment – Rs 260/-
- Instrument Cluster; Remove and Installation – Rs 52/-
- Miscellaneous – Rs 100/-

- Fifth Service
- Recommended – 18months or 30000kms
- Done On – 15months and 18362kms
- Complaints – Nil
- Total Invoice Amount – Rs 3698/-
- Air Filter – Rs 225.41/-
- Wash Fluid Pouch – Rs 49.89/-
- Oil Filter – Rs 307.72/-
- Castrol Magnatec (4lts) - Rs 770.68/-
- Service Charge – Rs 1170/-
- Wheel Balancing – Rs 390/-
- Wheel Alignment – Rs 150/-
- Miscellaneous – Rs 150/-

That’s about it. Do let me know if you have any questions or need any clarity. Leaving with a few pictures….

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-str1.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-str2.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-str3.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-str4.jpg

Unni, excellent post and from the pictures looks like you take good care of your car.

Well I have a 11 month old Fiesta SXi 1.6 and have some of the issues that you described. The dashboard rattle and suspension is a bit hard and not soft. I was not sure if this was common to all Fiesta's but going by your post it appears it may be a common problem.

Take care of her and I am sure she will take care of you

I've had the chance to accompany Unni on one of his long distance drives to Kerala and got to experience how he takes care of his car, as well as his minimal stops driving style.

The detailed bill breakup would sure be useful to those who are looking at owing a Fiesta.

One question, how come they did the wheel rotation and balancing FOC for you in the third service? I've never had that privilege.

Hi Unni, what is the normal service interval for Fiesta ? is it 5000 or 10K kms ? I am almost being sold to Fiesta 1.6 and hence would like to know your exp with Ford sales/service in bangalore. Would you recommend any particular dealer in Bangy ?

Some one has read my review at last!!! Yeaay.clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillout (Post 1294262)
Unni, excellent post and from the pictures looks like you take good care of your car.

Well I have a 11 month old Fiesta SXi 1.6 and have some of the issues that you described. The dashboard rattle and suspension is a bit hard and not soft. I was not sure if this was common to all Fiesta's but going by your post it appears it may be a common problem.

Take care of her and I am sure she will take care of you

Thanks Chillout. The suspension, especially the front ones are noisy. But I think that Fiesta is a good handler cause of its slightly hard suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1294382)
I've had the chance to accompany Unni on one of his long distance drives to Kerala and got to experience how he takes care of his car, as well as his minimal stops driving style.

The detailed bill breakup would sure be useful to those who are looking at owing a Fiesta.

One question, how come they did the wheel rotation and balancing FOC for you in the third service? I've never had that privilege.

Thanks Benny for all the nice words. Congrats, you have won yourself another trip to Kerala!!! Even I was surprised at the FOC balancing. I didn't bother checking, lest I be charged for it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecherian (Post 1294399)
Hi Unni, what is the normal service interval for Fiesta ? is it 5000 or 10K kms ? I am almost being sold to Fiesta 1.6 and hence would like to know your exp with Ford sales/service in bangalore. Would you recommend any particular dealer in Bangy ?

I've a diesel and normal service interval is 10000km/6months. So not sure if petrol has a different interval. Even though I've never driven/travelled in a 1.6, I've heard only good things about it. My car is KL registration. I never give my car for service in Bangalore, and always drive down to Kerala to get it done. Till date its been Kairal Ford, Cochin.

However, given the RTO issues, I'd suggest that you take it from B'lore.
Benny will be able to help you out, I guess.

PS: Please dont take black unless you have some one who can always keep it clean.

Very nice and a detailed review.
By seeing your car i wish I had gone for black as well !
Seems that you are very much satisfied with your Fiesta. I just had one query i.e has your car developed any kind of rattles in the front doors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidaford (Post 1296069)
I just had one query i.e has your car developed any kind of rattles in the front doors?

During the long journey i had in Unni's car, i dont remember hearing any rattles, or any complaints from his end about the same.

I dont suppose he would reply immediately as he's on yet another trip to Kerala with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidaford (Post 1296069)
Very nice and a detailed review.
By seeing your car i wish I had gone for black as well !
Seems that you are very much satisfied with your Fiesta. I just had one query i.e has your car developed any kind of rattles in the front doors?

Thanks FidaFord. Be happy that you have not opted for black!!! I'm having a tough time keeping it clean. I had gone to Kerala and it had rained on the way. The car was more muddy ash (if thats a color!!) than black, when I reached home.

Till date no rattles from front door, or for that matter any door. The only rattle or creak sound that I've is from the speedo console. Had got it fixed, but its back again. It has become my lug indicator now. I dont lug anymore cause when I lug it creaks, and I hate any rattles and creaks in my car. Something that I've been relegiously following is that I never close any of the doors with the window-glass half open. It'll always be closed when the door is shut. Don't ask me for the logic behind it, but it has worked :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1296074)
During the long journey i had in Unni's car, i dont remember hearing any rattles, or any complaints from his end about the same.

I dont suppose he would reply immediately as he's on yet another trip to Kerala with the car.

Spot on Benny. Just back from Kerala a couple of hours ago and already in office!!! Yes, yes, you can consider it as dedication to work. :uncontrol PS: I know I'm babbling, have been driving from 0100hrs.

While driving back from Kerala yesterday, I happened to crash into a pot hole. Was avoiding a pickup overtaking a lorry on a left turn and ended up running into a pot hole at the edge of the road. I was at about 80-90kmph and there was no time to brake. Visual inspection has shown no damage like bend rims or damaged tyre (MRF OE).

However, at speeds above 90kmph, there is a very slight steering wobble. Wondering if one of the balancing weights fell off when I crashed into the pothole. Any thoughts?

Get your wheels balanced and aligned---things will get normal again.

BTW, nice review, and great looking car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1299932)

BTW, nice review, and great looking car!

Thanks vnabhi. Yeah, planning to get balancing and alignment done. Hoping that this will sort it out.

Came across some photos and thought of sharing a couple here:

Near Chengannur, Kerala.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-2008_05040026.jpg

And thats me... No, not the 4legged one, the 2legged leaning on the car:)

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-2008_06290118.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni.ak (Post 1299906)
While driving back from Kerala yesterday, I happened to crash into a pot hole. Visual inspection has shown no damage like bend rims or damaged tyre (MRF OE).

However, at speeds above 90kmph, there is a very slight steering wobble. Wondering if one of the balancing weights fell off when I crashed into the pothole. Any thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1299932)

Got alignment and wheel balancing done at Madhus Enterprises, Langford Road (Nikhilb2008's shop). The front axle toe was way out and was adjusted within tolerance. Rear axle toe is also out, but could not be adjusted at Nikhil's place since its a rigid axle and I'll be visiting Ford *** some time soon to get it done.

The front and rear left rims have taken a hit and has bend inside edges. Although it was hammered back to shape, it'll never be perfect. Will be going to Alleppey on wednesday and I hope that the steering wobble is sorted out now.

On a side note, I was pretty impressed by the setup at Madhus. I was attended to immediately and car taken for alignment by one of their mechs. He was real careful with the car and was not doing any of the 50meter-race type driving. Although I'm not an expert in the equipment that he uses, the place was clean, uncluttered and the alignment machine looked top of the line. A word of thanks to Nikhil for taking time out and being with me. It was great to talk to you and gain some knowledge on tires.

Unni, did you try out the car at speeds greater than 80?

I would also vouch for Madhu's. Took my car there and was impressed by their service. I haev decided to stop getting the balancing and alignment done at the dealers. They seem to be a ripoff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1318002)
Unni, did you try out the car at speeds greater than 80?

I would also vouch for Madhu's. Took my car there and was impressed by their service. I haev decided to stop getting the balancing and alignment done at the dealers. They seem to be a ripoff.

Not yet. I might try doing some speeds when going home from office, tonight. Yes, I too plan to stop getting the balancing and alignment done at the ***. Will most probably stick to Madhu's. Wish they had a shop some where in ORR :)