Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 11:27   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@gajadonga - 90-120kmph range of speed is the best for Indian highway conditions (at least on all the new highways) - one is able to eke out the performance angle of the vehicle, be sure of one's relative safety/ reflexes and enjoy the road and the drive while keeping ones passengers safe and one's fuel efficiency good.
@vijaythacker -i also really wish I had ABS/Airbags in the Scorp- would be excellent.
@rkbharat - thanks - yes sedans have their strengths and SUV's have theirs - each to his own. (in any case Im not really a speedjunkie) - as for pics on this last madras trip i simply was lazy so didnt take any.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

shankar ever tried cornering with the scorp at 60kmph ? It can easily flip the vehicle and leave alone doing 180 on the scorp with all the bells and whistles (read ABS and airbags).
Cruising speeds are best between 120-130kmph and she doesn't complain a wee bit. The best thing I love about the 2.2 is that once the turbo kicks in, it effortlessly heads to 100+ and from there on its nirvana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
The review is crisp & clear. Good that you are enjoying the best. If it had ABS & Airbags, I'm sure you would've touched 180.
Ram if I were to get realistic with the scorp' trust me pushing it to 140 itself is scary. And for the records I don't think scorp's go beyond the 150kmph mark. I have been searching around to know at what speed its tops out and haven't found any.

From my experience, I did a 140 and there was speedo error. The GPS was showing only 136kmph,so am guessing it tops out there or so. Unless someone who has info. can confirm what speed the Scorp' tops out at.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 27th October 2009 at 13:03.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:21   #63
BANNED

on hill drives i do some good speeds but never push the vehicle unnecessarily. with the slightly wider stance that my alloys give i have taken curves at speeds like 60 etc but NEVER sharp or blind CORNERS. and i wouldnt try it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
shankar ever tried cornering with the scorp at 60kmph ? It can easily flip the vehicle and leave alone doing 180 on the scorp with all the bells and whistles (read ABS and airbags).
Cruising speeds are best between 120-130kmph and she doesn't complain a wee bit. The best thing I love about the 2.2 is that once the turbo kicks in, it effortlessly heads to 100+ and from there on its nirvana.

Ram if I were to get realistic with the scorp' trust me pushing it to 140 itself is scary. And for the records I don't think scorp's go beyond the 150kmph mark. I have been searching around to know at what speed its tops out and haven't found any.

From my experience, I did a 140 and there was speedo error. The GPS was showing only 136kmph,so am guessing it tops out there or so. Unless someone who has info. can confirm what speed the Scorp' tops out at.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, though a bit slow but achieved 22K finally.

Cornering on SCORPIO ?? Indeed it is a clear suicidal attempt.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I ve removed the old steel wheels which I used to keep as ballast to add a bit of weight to the rear of the vehicle and on this trip I am coming around to a new way of thinking that carrying those 2 old steel wheels as ballast may not strictly be necessary at all, considering my driving style and the vehicle's overall general behaviour on the road.

Cheers!
Ain't putting those steel wheels on the rear causing a drop in the average of the beast?
I mean do the indian bred SUV's really require a ballast to have a good control,considering there top speed range is not comparable to the rovers and co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The best thing I love about the 2.2 is that once the turbo kicks in, it effortlessly heads to 100+ and from there on its nirvana.
People please explain what is this turbo?
I have been driving both the A-Star as well as the Safari and did not yet find any turbo kick difference in the safari.
What does this term actually mean?And at what speedometer ranges does the turbo really kick in the SUVs
Old 27th October 2009, 14:15   #66
BANNED

@asthedivx - yes CORNERING fast at right angles etc is clearly suicidal. Ive taken 18 months to clock 22K Kms because predominantly this vehicle is driven in the city - a commute of 20-25km per day average + a bit of weekend or holiday road tripping. Apart from this I have to give the other vehicle also a bit of occasional exercise so we do about 400km on average per month on that as well.

@Alterego -given the top speed range I agree it does not really seem necessary for the ballast to be there but the suspension setup and general characteristics of the Scorpio are such that it performs very well when fully loaded - especially in the hills (as per what I have experienced). However, if one carries a reasonable amount of luggage at rear and/or passengers in the mid row it serves the same purpose.

Ref Turbo - the Turbocharger which provides an energy boost to the engine usually kicks in around 1500 rpm. When you accelerate the vehicle you will surely feel the effect of the turbo kicking in. In the case of Safari there is a certain "turbo lag" - just imagine you have changed down to second and then possibly first gear to take a big speed breaker - once you've crossed that you tend to accelerate a bit to bring the revs up and then shift to a higher gear. However, it takes a few seconds for the Turbo boost to kick in and deliver that punchy power which causes you to shift gear upwards.
The Scorpio's power delivery via the Turbo is more linear/ direct. I particularly notice this each time I drive my Dad's Indica DLG Turbo and contrast the feel when I drive my Scorpio. On highways when in higher gears and while accelerating, you can clearly hear the Turbo Whine and feel it kicking in to speed you on your way that much faster. I personally love that feeling.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:56   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@Alterego -given the top speed range I agree it does not really seem necessary for the ballast to be there but the suspension setup and general characteristics of the Scorpio are such that it performs very well when fully loaded - especially in the hills (as per what I have experienced). However, if one carries a reasonable amount of luggage at rear and/or passengers in the mid row it serves the same purpose.

Ref Turbo - the Turbocharger which provides an energy boost to the engine usually kicks in around 1500 rpm. When you accelerate the vehicle you will surely feel the effect of the turbo kicking in. In the case of Safari there is a certain "turbo lag" - just imagine you have changed down to second and then possibly first gear to take a big speed breaker - once you've crossed that you tend to accelerate a bit to bring the revs up and then shift to a higher gear. However, it takes a few seconds for the Turbo boost to kick in and deliver that punchy power which causes you to shift gear upwards.
The Scorpio's power delivery via the Turbo is more linear/ direct. I particularly notice this each time I drive my Dad's Indica DLG Turbo and contrast the feel when I drive my Scorpio. On highways when in higher gears and while accelerating, you can clearly hear the Turbo Whine and feel it kicking in to speed you on your way that much faster. I personally love that feeling.
Thanks Shankar for the clarifications.Now I would have a better insight as to what really goes inside the hood while driving my safari

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 27th October 2009 at 15:04.
Old 15th July 2010, 13:09   #68
BHPian

Shankar, I am in the process of booking a Lx mhawk version. The dealer is offering me an option of exchaging the stock tyres to Mahindra alloys. I wanted to know a couple of things.
1. What would be the approximate price difference while doing this?
2. If we go for aftermarket alloys, will the dealer exchange the stock wheels.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:19   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@diwakarmuthu:

Please go to Lal in Whites road, you will get a much better deal for alloys than with the dealer. When you go from the Royapetta clock the shop is on the left after the TVS petrol bunk.

Let me know what the dealer is offering for your steel wheels. If the price is too low, I can buy them off you.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:46   #70
BHPian

@4x4addict, will check out and let you know. My idea of looking at the *** was to ensure the warranty is not getting affected. Anyway will message you if I am not getting a good price

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks