Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 17:01   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Smaller Turning Radius compared to the Bolero.
Are you sure about this MC? Sometime back, on many of the websites where I compared the Bolero to the Scorpio the turning radius of the Bolero was shown as being smaller.

One big plus of the Scorpio which you haven't mentioned is it's 'psychological road image'. Which is nothing but its effect on small cars,taxis and other transport vehicles on highways. When people see a Scorpio in their RVM, they have no doubts regarding it's capability to 'overtake and zoom away', so they quitely give way. Not so with the Bolero where everyone doubts whether this 'tiffinbox' can do an overtake and zoom, so they just hang on in the front no matter what or they'll tail you to hell once you overtake them.
Old 12th October 2009, 18:14   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Are you sure about this MC? Sometime back, on many of the websites where I compared the Bolero to the Scorpio the turning radius of the Bolero was shown as being smaller.
Yes through practical experience. Secondly I had read somewhere that as Svorpio was designed keeping the urban customer in mind, turning radius was designed for easy operability in city.

Quote:
One big plus of the Scorpio which you haven't mentioned is it's 'psychological road image'. Which is nothing but its effect on small cars,taxis and other transport vehicles on highways. When people see a Scorpio in their RVM, they have no doubts regarding it's capability to 'overtake and zoom away', so they quitely give way. Not so with the Bolero where everyone doubts whether this 'tiffinbox' can do an overtake and zoom, so they just hang on in the front no matter what or they'll tail you to hell once you overtake them.
Well atleast in Hyderabad, image Bolero is percieved as a rugged vehicle. Hence if people see a Bolero charging in, they give way as they know the Bolero owner will not bother about denting and things like that. Even funnier thing is the way they look at the Bolero when my wife drive's it and very easily give way
Old 12th October 2009, 18:19   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. I'm a relatively short guy (only 5'6") and the driving position was very cramped for me compared the Bolero.
OT : You look quite tall in your Srinagar / Leh travelogue pics.
Old 12th October 2009, 18:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
OT : You look quite tall in your Srinagar / Leh travelogue pics.
I guess its called miracles of Photography. After all everything you see is not true
Old 13th October 2009, 13:45   #125
BHPian

Quote:

I've observed that the Scorpio(with bull bars) won't turn in one go on the down ramp's at a mall I frequent, but my Bolero (with bull bars) will do it if done properly. I guess the scorpio is longer, and needs that little bit more room than the Bolero, hence the difference. Doesn't really matter too much, both are humongous vehicles, and an itty bitty difference in the turning radius probably doesn't count for much.

I guess the road image of a Bolero in Mumbai is tied to its most prominent users, the Police. White Boleros are usually not messed with, because of the Cop/Govt image, but scorpios are definitely the kings of the road, with their bullying image and reputation. I see many scorpios on the highways bullying other cars and overtaking quite rashly. Not many bolero's do that (speculative, entirely my view), but then again, the number of bolero's I see are much fewer than the number of Scorpios, so I may be off the mark. I have had numerous encounters with obstinate taxis and other vehicles, in scorpio's, my bolero and smaller sedans. Its an unfortunate reality that we have to live with.

Cheers,
Old 29th October 2009, 15:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

3rd Service Update

Even though the Storm came back from her 15k Kms - 3rd Service on the 8th itself, didn't get the time to pen it down.

As the Storm had taken quite a bit of beating in the Ladakh Trip, the list of problems was long. I had asked the ASC to take care of the following:
  1. Normal 15k Service
  2. Air Filter Change
  3. Coolant level coming down inspite of no leakages.
  4. Brakes locking up at slow speed but absolutely ineffective at higher speeds.
  5. Front Wheel Hubcaps leaking grease
  6. Front Suspension shims were coming out and alignment was out.
  7. All body bolts loose
  8. Rear suspension spring action seemed absent
  9. Hard Steering
  10. Wheel Balancing and Rotation
  11. Squeaks and rattles abound.
They kept the car for 2 days when it was returned, most of the problems had gone. On the brakes front, they replaced the rear brake liners under wearranty as the problematic part, which I don't agree to be the problem generator, but let them have their way. The SA refused to change the Air Filter saying that it will get changed at 40k or when the red band comes, inspite of my telling them specifically to change it. But a good wash took care of all the squeaks and rattles.

The total bill for the service was 1392/- on account of Wheel Alignment, Balancing, Wheel weights, 1 L Engine Oil, 1 L Coolant and not to forget Rs.100 for waste cotton.

Even though I have driven about 500 Kms after the service, I feel the pick-up to be less than before which I feel is due to clogged Air Filter and may be clutch also. Will get it checked this week.

The Storm lost 1 wheel cap logo and 2 wheel caps totally on the journey and since the Golden variety is for Rs 630/ each, the wheels remain uncovered yet.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:26   #127
Senior - BHPian

Anirudha, you should try & locate a decent wheel alignment & balancing shop - authorized workshops have exhorbitant charges & (most of the time) do not do a good job anyway.

Did you ask them to check out the Brake Pads also? Pads are what suffer the most during these kind of journeys, particularly when you're going downhill (no matter what the experts may tell you about using only Engine braking during descents etc).

Separate charge for Waste Cotton!!!

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2009 at 15:27.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Anirudha, you should try & locate a decent wheel alignment & balancing shop - authorized workshops have exhorbitant charges & (most of the time) do not do a good job anyway.
Sumanda, I got the wheel balancing and rotation from the best guy in town. But since my Storm sports the new IFS setup up front (Scorpio Front Suspension Modified) I didn't want to take chances outside. Anyways as the service manual says Alignment every 40K Kms, I'm hoping that it will be sometime before I need get it aligned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Did you ask them to check out the Brake Pads also? Pads are what suffer the most during these kind of journeys, particularly when you're going downhill (no matter what the experts may tell you about using only Engine braking during descents etc).

Separate charge for Waste Cotton!!!
Absolute agree. They say the brake pad thickness is ok. I had brake jamming problem while descending from Patnitop and i feel the culprit is the brake booster. Anyways since they have change dthe brake liners after the Ladakh trip, I'm not complaining but will get the brake issue sorted soon.

BTW one chronic problem of my Storm is body bolts becoming loose by the service interval
Old 29th October 2009, 16:24   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways as the service manual says Alignment every 40K Kms, I'm hoping that it will be sometime before I need get it aligned.
I would suggest alignment every 10k kms (or even earlier if you feel any "straying") - 40k kms is far too long & your tyres would be gone by that time (should anything be wrong)

Quote:
BTW one chronic problem of my Storm is body bolts becoming loose by the service interval
Well, you can't have everything - and this time around, the Leh trip would have been responsible for the rattles.
Old 1st November 2009, 17:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Blown Fuse!

Last night the Wiper stopped working all of a sudden and I suspected it to be a blown fuse. It was confirmed today morning so I went looking around town for a 10A fuse . Today being Sundayall outside shops were closed and I landed up at the ASC. They gave 2 fuses and refused to take money for it.

And Wipers are working again!
Old 1st November 2009, 18:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Just get the rotation and balancing done outside and not alignment. They usually do not have correct alignment values for latest models or all variants and if you go by that you will be in trouble.

In SUV/MUV usually only toe is adjustable and not caster and camber as the nuts are welded I am not sure about Bolero.

In my exp. with safari outside alignment shops use TCIC Safari and Sumo values which is different then 3.0 and 2.2.

Regards
Old 1st November 2009, 18:48   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last night the Wiper stopped working all of a sudden and I suspected it to be a blown fuse. It was confirmed today morning so I went looking around town for a 10A fuse . Today being Sundayall outside shops were closed and I landed up at the ASC. They gave 2 fuses and refused to take money for it.

And Wipers are working again!
If a fuse blows, it is best to look far a cause for the blown fuse - normally a wire touching the body or water entering some terminal/connector, could also be a short due to frayed insulation. Best to nip it in the bud, rather than just change fuses. Of course, one could change fuse and see if it happens again before going for the fault.

Cheers,
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:37   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Just get the rotation and balancing done outside and not alignment. They usually do not have correct alignment values for latest models or all variants and if you go by that you will be in trouble.

In SUV/MUV usually only toe is adjustable and not caster and camber as the nuts are welded I am not sure about Bolero.

In my exp. with safari outside alignment shops use TCIC Safari and Sumo values which is different then 3.0 and 2.2.

Regards
Exactly my point. Camber is anyways fixed, its the castor which is adjustable. But will get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
If a fuse blows, it is best to look far a cause for the blown fuse - normally a wire touching the body or water entering some terminal/connector, could also be a short due to frayed insulation. Best to nip it in the bud, rather than just change fuses. Of course, one could change fuse and see if it happens again before going for the fault.

Cheers,
Well true what you said, but lot of times, the fuses blow off due to loose connection of the relay or such. Fixed everything in its slot properly while replacing the fuse. If the fuse blows again, will get a thorough check-up done.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:08   #134
Senior - BHPian

Blue & Me on Bolero

I detest picking up calls while driving and never been comfortable with earphones ( Bluetooth or wired) so the only option for me had to either pull-off on the sides or reject the call (depending upon from whom it is).

While on my trip to Delhi last month, I came across the hands free device that was lying around at home. So finally set-it up last weekend and what a breeze it is. It works on Bluetooth and displays all the phone info including Phone book, sms et al. Speaker is inbuilt in the device and mic can be fixed at a suitable location.Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img00011.jpg

I used it a few times and answering calls on it have been a breeze.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:18   #135
Team-BHP Support

Camber in many ladder frame chassis SUVs is adjusted by removing or adding Shims.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks