Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 09:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, nice thread & immaculately maintained cars. (Sigghhh) Brought back fond memories of my Ikon 1.6 ZXI (2001) - it was a sentimental moment when we sold her in Jan 2007. So many adrenalin rushes I've had with her!
Old 14th May 2009, 10:08   #17
BHPian

Finally! And, I thought Ford 1.6 ROCAM doesn't have fans in TBHP :-) -
Vivekji congrats on your prized 1.6 possessions and wishing you many happy miles in them! And you've got some amazing pics!

People here mostly discuss about Fiat (Palio), Honda City (OHC), Skoda (vRS) and Maruti Suzuki (Baleno) when it comes to enthusiasts' cars.

However, I can tell that I own a Ford Ikon 1.6, and it puts a smile in your face *every* time I drive it. Every time I travel abroad, I rent 200/300+ BHP cars, and I always think I am not going to enjoy my drive back in India. All my doubts vanish the moment I start driving my Ford 1.6.

The car handles like a bike! Someone here aptly called it 'a poor man's BMW' and I can tell he is not exaggerating. The straight-line braking, cornering, handling under stress conditions are all top notch!

But, spare parts and maintenance are high - But, if one can live with it, Ford packs maximum bang for the buck in their cars (in terms of driving pleasure) - I am searching for a second hand Mondeo (if I can grab one in Bangy / Chennai)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 14th May 2009 at 10:15.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:14   #18
BHPian

vivekji05 - Very well maintained cars.

This remembers me my old ikon 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
However, I can tell that I own a Ford Ikon 1.6, and it puts a smile in your face *every* time I drive it.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
So here we are. Something that started out as a discussion has ended up as some sort of a long term report of the cars minus parameters like ride quality, comfort, interiors, fuel efficiency, service costs etc. Coming back to where we started, I am happy to have two 1.6L cars that bring a smile on to my face every time I take them out for a spin. They are down to the earth basic machines when it comes to luxury, safety or comfort. But these drawbacks are easily forgotten once you in the driving seat and presented with a good winding road. The best part is that you can utilize more than 80 percent of their potential for almost all the time. Unlike any powerful Audi, or BMW or Merc.
Attachment 135963
Awesome write up Vivek - I own a 1.6 which still brings me smiles when i take them out for a spin - 50k kms & 5 yrs of ownership notwithstanding - the Fiat Siena 1.6 with 100 hp - I guess these 3 cars together would be an ideal "triplet" from a bygone era !
Old 14th May 2009, 11:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fab write-up, vivekji! Enjoyed reading it to the hilt!

BTW, how do you keep the engine bay so clean? Or did you take the pic just after the car was serviced?

Another question---the alloys on the Ikon look like the stock alloys of a Fiesta---did those come with the car?

Last edited by vnabhi : 14th May 2009 at 11:28.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

vivek nice review there of both the 1.6's from different manufacturers. BTW I have had the pleasure of driving both these cars and pushing them too. However I feel the brakes of the Ikon is inadequate at high speeds.
If there was something to be set right with the Ikon it is the brakes. The Ikon in itself is in a different league when compared to the baleno. The top speed this thing achieves in stock form is something that has always left me in awe.

Regarding the baleno, well I own one and have enjoyed every minute of driving it.
Old 14th May 2009, 13:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Great report. Lovely pics. Did enjoy every part of it. Which car do you love to be in for longer drives.
Mostly it is the old Ikon that I leave behind for the percieved lack of reliability. And proper braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
This is a really nice thread, Vivek! I enjoyed reading it very much. Great pics too! You have two beautifully maintained cars. Respect!
Thank you Hydra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Does anyone want to hear my take on the Baleno ?

@ Vivek thanks for the drive and teaching me a lesson or two in real driving, you have opened up a new dimension for me. Also put some pics of the new doorpads of the Baleno.
Yes, Muneem. Elaborate on the Baleno. We all love to hear it from an enthusiast. But dont see that as another reason to take her out for a spin.

As for the new door pads, we need to get some matching seat covers to go with it. Once that is done we will update the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Finally! And, I thought Ford 1.6 ROCAM doesn't have fans in TBHP :-) -

However, I can tell that I own a Ford Ikon 1.6, and it puts a smile in your face *every* time I drive it. Every time I travel abroad, I rent 200/300+ BHP cars, and I always think I am not going to enjoy my drive back in India. All my doubts vanish the moment I start driving my Ford 1.6.

The car handles like a bike! Someone here aptly called it 'a poor man's BMW' and I can tell he is not exaggerating. The straight-line braking, cornering, handling under stress conditions are all top notch!
There are some hard core ikon 1.6 fans in team-bhp but they are far and few. Others consider it as a sub standard product with expensive spares, rust issues, high fuel consumption, pathetic resale value and lots of 'ikonic' problems.

That is exactly what I'm taking about. This car feels more exciting than many cars costing several times as much. It is not the outright power or performance that makes it special, but the perfect blend of low end grunt,responsive engine, delightful steering, etc. If only the brakes were better.

I dont quite know about the 'handles like a bike' part though. Not too much into biking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Fab write-up, vivekji! Enjoyed reading it to the hilt!

BTW, how do you keep the engine bay so clean? Or did you take the pic just after the car was serviced?

Another question---the alloys on the Ikon look like the stock alloys of a Fiesta---did those come with the car?
Those alloys are made by Aura and were a dealer fitment in those days. If you look closely, you will notice that they had Aura logos in place of Ford ones the Fiesta has.

I wash the engine bay with soap water and wipe it clean from time to time. That never lets dirt accumulate on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
vivek nice review there of both the 1.6's from different manufacturers. BTW I have had the pleasure of driving both these cars and pushing them too. However I feel the brakes of the Ikon is inadequate at high speeds.
If there was something to be set right with the Ikon it is the brakes. The Ikon in itself is in a different league when compared to the baleno. The top speed this thing achieves in stock form is something that has always left me in awe.

Regarding the baleno, well I own one and have enjoyed every minute of driving it.
I feel the Baleno is a better rounded car but the ikon is sharper in many respects. It deserves better brakes. Some times, I dont get the courage to push it hard because of its poor brakes.

You have a great looking Baleno there, mate.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wash the engine bay with soap water and wipe it clean from time to time. That never lets dirt accumulate on it.
That's why the engine bay looks 'wow'.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any special technique in cleaning the bay with soap water? I am asking becuase I want to give it a try. I was scared all along of water dripping on any part in the engine.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Hi Vivek very well maintained cars .How about a pictorial guide about how you clean your engine bay.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's why the engine bay looks 'wow'.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any special technique in cleaning the bay with soap water? I am asking becuase I want to give it a try. I was scared all along of water dripping on any part in the engine.

The trick I employ is to use minimum water and that too on components that are not affected by it. Leave the electrical part for dry or damp cloth. Use detergent or car shampoo for metal surfaces. Don't let water seep into the spark plug seats and such cavities and rust them. In case water has gone to wet some electrical components, do not switch on the ignition as it might lead to a short circuit. Instead try to wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

Contrary it may seem, I run my engine for a few minutes after an enthusiastic wash to vapourise any water, mainly at the exhaust pipe.

Do as you feel would be good for your car. You know how you have washed and where all have water gone in.

@Yogi,

A pictorial guide? Next time I clean my car, I will ask someone to capture it step by step. He he

Last edited by vivekji05 : 14th May 2009 at 15:23.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:26   #26
BHPian

Vivek, congrats on your twins! Both have been very well maintained and have increased our respect towards you.

I have been proud of my cars for a long time but people like you bring me back to reality

The hard work shows in every panel my friend. Looking forward to meeting you soon with your cars.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The trick I employ is to use minimum water and that too on components that are not affected by it. Leave the electrical part for dry or damp cloth. Use detergent or car shampoo for metal surfaces. Don't let water seep into the spark plug seats and such cavities and rust them. In case water has gone to wet some electrical components, do not switch on the ignition as it might lead to a short circuit. Instead try to wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

Contrary it may seem, I run my engine for a few minutes after an enthusiastic wash to vapourise any water, mainly at the exhaust pipe.

Do as you feel would be good for your car. You know how you have washed and where all have water gone in.

@Yogi,

A pictorial guide? Next time I clean my car, I will ask someone to capture it step by step. He he
Thanks, it was really useful! A pictorial guide will surely be helpful.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, another impressive Thread. I was never a fan of the Ikon. Nice to see someone who has a Baleno speak volumes about the Ikon.

Does go to show that the Ikon is not that bad a car.

I guess the Ikon does fail Vs the Baleno in terms of Parts cost/kmpl and highspeed stability and cornering?
Old 14th May 2009, 16:12   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
In reality, the Baleno is the faster car. But the Ikon feels much faster.
Attachment 135963
Couldnt agree with this more. I drive a baleno and have also driven my Brother-in-laws ikon 1.6. The baleno is so silent and smooth and you feel you are driving much slower than the actual speed. The ikon, with its sound, makes it feel you are driving much faster than what your speedo shows.

Two very well maintained cars you have there.

cheers
m8002?
Old 14th May 2009, 17:44   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vivek, an outstanding thread, straight from the heart of an enthusiast. Rated 5 stars!

Quote:
“It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.”

The proof to this statement comes from the two stable mates in my garage- a 2006 Baleno LXi and a 2004 Ikon ZXi- both from the bygone era, but with delightful 1.6L petrol engines putting an identical 91bhp.
I derive a lot of pleasure from driving cars like even the old Zen! It is a myth - and one that's only more popular today - that driving a more powerful car is always more fun. Rubbish! I gotta tell you that the example you cite of the Audi at 200 kph has hit the nail right on the head. My C has frequently seen Auto Bahn speeds, and its fun, but it simply doesn't compare to the "driver feel" that my OHC Vtec delivers. There is something very mechanical about these 100 BHP Jap C segment sedans, the engine feels like an extension of your body, the steering more direct and you always know what the tyres are up to (100% feedback). All the more applicable to the ones from a decade back (OHC, Baleno, Lancer etc.) since they were much lighter than todays cars.

Key word is also balance : I don't particular enjoy the runs in 300+ BHP Honda Citys....they are only quick in the straight line, but the torque steer, braking, outright grip simply can't keep up with that mega horsepower. It's a recipe for disaster. That to me is a loss of balance. Give me a 150BHP RS any which day over a monster OHC.

Quote:
To his defence, he has heard countless horror stories on ikons, constant problems on various components, exorbitant spare costs, bad fuel economy and poor resale value.
I love driving my best friend's Ikon 1.6 myself, it really is a heck of a drive. Torquey engine, meaty steering wheel and great dynamics....the awful brakes are the only spoilsport.

But no one can debate the lacklustre resale, expensive part costs and inconsistent reliability of the Ikon.

Either ways, your thread highlights exactly the reason I plan to hold on to my OHC Vtec. As the saying goes "they simply don't make 'em like these anymore"!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks