Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 11:43   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Wow 1 lakh plus Kms in 3 years, terrific and glad to see that you have been keeping her in top condition also

One question, how are the gsport cover in Kerala heat? What material are these made off?
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 09:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
hey shibu Ji

have you used purolator oil filter in your swift diesel? i have heard is just 200 rupees when compared to MASS oil filter which is 370 rupees now
Oil/Oilfilter are critical components of the car. Do not cut cost here as a small issue here will have a big impact on the engine.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:19   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Oil/Oilfilter are critical components of the car. Do not cut cost here as a small issue here will have a big impact on the engine.
I agree, MASS is using UFI oil filter as OE. which INR 380 now

Elofic and Purolator are used by many european brands as OE fitment. which is 120 to 150 INR.

I have touched and held both oil filters in my hand, i find no difference in their looks or their material what so ever. Infact I am also thinking of opening up both air filters and check them up for the benefit of everybody. Why do we spend 400 INR for UFI oil filter when purolater does the same job in INR150?

UFI is used by ferrari and Jaguar. I guess MASS is using UFI because Fiat and ferrari are italian brands, may be they have not looked out of the box for cheaper options, so MASS is following what Fiat is fitting in their cars.

I'm not trying to cost cut, trying to spend responsibly

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 15th May 2012 at 10:22.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil Change

shibu is busy so updating on behalf of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wow 1 lakh plus Kms in 3 years, terrific and glad to see that you have been keeping her in top condition also

One question, how are the gsport cover in Kerala heat? What material are these made off?
I too use it and material looks good till date. I think fabrics are better and they breathe better or maybe leather.
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-img2012053100199.jpg  

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-img2012053100200.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 31st May 2012 at 13:51.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 23:01   #140
Senior - BHPian

110000 service update

The question was should I post the brake upgrades post and then the service updates. Of course I never got around to doing both. Thanks JK for helping me out there.

EBC Brake Rotors
After much reading up, I ordered a set of EBC brake pads and turbo groove rotors. Pads did not fit, rotors did. Replacement was a DIY job. More about this in a detailed post. I feel an improvement in feel and braking is surer. There is a definite bite in the front end since the change. Not where I want it to be but a definite improvement.

110000 service update
Or should I say services. Problems got fixed bit by bit over three visits. Both my front shocks were found leaking so I went to a place not my usual haunt and got both of them replaced. Lasted for around 1.1 lakhs kms so I think they held up decently. Here is a pic of the replaced shock.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20120512-08.51.45.jpg

Brake pads were also replaced as they were found to have less than 5k left on them and I did not want to take a chance of scoring my new rotors. I got a life of 60k from the old pads, 10k more than the very first batch. The new pads were from RANE and cost me 1800 rupees compared to the previous TOKICO pads that cost 3000 rupees. Localisation indeed!

The total service cost came upto 6643 rupees. Shocks cost around 1541 per piece.

Dead Battery
I left my park lights on for around 4 hours and came back to find that the car would not start. Got help from a friend next day to jump start my car. Drove around but found that the battery was not retaining charge. Since the warranty was still on, I took the battery to the Bosch battery shop. After a full recharge cycle, one of the cells was found to be defective retaining only 10% charge. Got a warranty replacement.

Okay, I have a question. If the standard OEM battery was 65 AH and I replaced it with a 74 AH battery would the alternator have trouble maintaining full charge on the 74 AH battery?

General checkup and EGR Leak
Post the EGR cleaning done around the 1 lakh km, there was a small leak around the EGR hose. Got that fixed. Problem seemed to be a loose clamp. Cost 638 rupees.

Calliper Setting
EGR Leak fixed and new problem popped around the right wheel especially in B roads and gravelly stretches. Diagnosis was a loose brake calliper which was shimmed and reset. Silence. Cost 365 rupees.

RaceChip
What JK did not see was the upgrade under the hood. I have got a RaceChip tuning box. Did consider the Cosworth Remap but settled for this instead. (same as what has been discussed in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-17-500-a.html). Will post a detailed review on my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
hey shibu Ji

have you used purolator oil filter in your swift diesel? i have heard is just 200 rupees when compared to MASS oil filter which is 370 rupees now
I did use a LUCAS replacement that cost 125 rupees when it was difficult to get the original MGP part. However I would not recommend it at all as there is a definite difference in the texture and color of the filter paper. Also one of the mechanics told me that a car fitted with the same had problems maintaining oil pressure. Also quality control may not be as stringent as UFi, and you may be the unlucky guy. Purolator and Elofic - I have not seen their filters yet so I am not sure. But I would not take a chance on oil filters.

Quote:
The GSport covers have held up very well for the last 3 years. The seat covers are of the GSport Luster range. Art leather, I believe. They do get hotter than the fabric covers but I have a windshield screen that I use when I park in the sun which greatly reduces the heat. Durability wise, the heat does not seem to have had any adverse impact on them so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
shibu is busy so updating on behalf of him

I too use it and material looks good till date. I think fabrics are better and they breathe better or maybe leather.
Thanks again JK.

Last edited by shibujp : 5th June 2012 at 23:09.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 09:49   #141
Team-BHP Support

Re: 110000 service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Okay, I have a question. If the standard OEM battery was 65 AH and I replaced it with a 74 AH battery would the alternator have trouble maintaining full charge on the 74 AH battery?
Been a year absolutely no issue with the bigger AH battery inspite of low running for my car. It would take a little longer to charge fully from zero but for regular use the standard alternator rating should not be an issue.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th June 2012 at 09:53.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Re: 110000 service update

Quote:
Been a year absolutely no issue with the bigger AH battery inspite of low running for my car. It would take a little longer to charge fully from zero but for regular use the standard alternator rating should not be an issue.
And I guess shibus car runs more kilometres a day than average users,

Quote:
@ shibujp
Gotta test drive it then.
Old 15th July 2012, 23:47   #143
Senior - BHPian

RaceChip review posted at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2835737.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 8th March 2013, 00:38   #144
Senior - BHPian

1,30,000 service report

The Swift's done a 130,000 kilometers. Service was done in three parts :

1. Oil change and front brake cleaning.
2. EGR Cleaning and transmission oil leak fix.
3.Paid service + AC overhaul

1. Oil Change

Total : 3176/-

DIY oil change and front brake cleaning. This time I got Mobil Synthetic diesel oil recommended for Maruti. Cost me 2800/- for a 3.5 litre can. Cleaned the front brakes as well.
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-mobil-synthetic-oil.jpg

The oil is not API CH-4 rated like the Mobil Delvac that I usually used. Was much more lighter in viscosity.
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-oil-ratings.jpg

Total : 1560 /-

After the 90k service I took the car in for a separate EGR cleaning visit. However there were some problems with the hose fitted back. This time I decided to get the EGR cleaning done first and then the paid service. This would give me a chance to ensure any problems with the EGR cleaning were fixed.

Also I noticed an oil leak around the gear box. This never dripped when the car was stationary though. It was diagnosed as a busted axle oil seal on the transmission side. The fix plugged the oil leak.

Total : 8613/-

Main complaints were a lack lustre AC, rattling pads and suspension noises. Post service the AC was back to it's using cold self and the suspension has gone silent. The steering rack plunger was replaced as well. Parts replaced are shown below.
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-130k-km-service-replacements.jpg

Parts
Wire, Steering Boot, Pinion side - 10.56/-
Support Comp, Front strut (2 nos) - 468.72/-
Joint Comp, FR Stabilizer - 401.08/-
Mount, Front Stabilizer (2 nos) - 32.72/-
Plunger, Steering Rack - 540.09/-
Washer, Tie Rod Lock - 16.74/-

Labour
Front Strut Both Side R&R - 900/-
Steering Overhaul - 795/-
A/C Servicing - 1945/-
A/C Gas Charging - 1845/-
Nine point Service - 250/-
Rear Brake Overhaul - 400/-
Front Suspension Overhaul - 815/-

The Swift's now back to being a bit more peppier. Engine's smoother and suspension's quieter.

Coming up : Yokos to Michelins.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-paid-service-bill.jpg  

Old 8th March 2013, 05:52   #145
Senior - BHPian

Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Quote:

Congratulations ! shibujp. You are my inspirtation from now on. My swift D has done 28K Kms in 3Yrs and I sure have a long way to go.

Could you please post pics of the break pads and rotor installation ? I am interested in this upgrade.
Old 8th March 2013, 20:50   #146
Senior - BHPian

A short analysis of suspension replacements on the Swift in the 1.3 lakh run up. Posting the picture of the components for reference too.

Support Comp, Front Strut - Replacement at 1.3 lakh kms,1.1 lakh kms,75k kms.
Upper left corner in the picture.

Curiously the replacements at 1.1 lakh kms were half the usual price.

Front Struts (Right and Left) - 1.1 lakh kms
not shown

Joint Comp, FR Stabilizer - 1.3 lakh kms (1),1.17 lakh kms(1),76k kms(1) (1) indicates only one was replaced.
Shown at the bottom of the picture below.

Front Stabiliser Mount (replaced in pairs) - 1.3 lakh kms,88k kms,76k kms, 60k kms
Shown between the steering plunger and the joint component.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-suspension-components.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Congratulations ! shibujp. .
Thanks! Take to the roads in your Swift!

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 8th March 2013 at 20:55.
Old 8th March 2013, 21:29   #147
BHPian

Have you replaced the timing chain of engine during 1,00,000 Km service? My service advisor told me to do the same. I will have to keep the car in servicecenter for 4 days since engine has to be removed from the mounts to change the chain. Is it right?
Old 9th March 2013, 10:37   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
Have you replaced the timing chain of engine during 1,00,000 Km service? My service advisor told me to do the same. I will have to keep the car in servicecenter for 4 days since engine has to be removed from the mounts to change the chain. Is it right?
No, I have not replaced it but but SA told me that it would be due in another 10 - 20K. Yes, the engine mount on the driver's side would have to be removed to gain access to the timing chain. The estimated labour comes to around 2K. The total cost quoted including the timing chain was 5K. In my case, the SA did not tell me that it would take more than a day.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 15th March 2013, 07:43   #149
BHPian

Re: 1,30,000 service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

1. Oil Change

Total : 3176/-

DIY oil change and front brake cleaning. This time I got Mobil Synthetic diesel oil recommended for Maruti. Cost me 2800/- for a 3.5 litre can. Cleaned the front brakes as well.
Attachment 1059414

The oil is not API CH-4 rated like the Mobil Delvac that I usually used. Was much more lighter in viscosity.
Attachment 1059416

Total : 1560 /-

After the 90k service I took the car in for a separate EGR cleaning visit. However there were some problems with the hose fitted back. This time I decided to get the EGR cleaning done first and then the paid service. This would give me a chance to ensure any problems with the EGR cleaning were fixed.

Also I noticed an oil leak around the gear box. This never dripped when the car was stationary though. It was diagnosed as a busted axle oil seal on the transmission side. The fix plugged the oil leak.

Total : 8613/-

Main complaints were a lack lustre AC, rattling pads and suspension noises. Post service the AC was back to it's using cold self and the suspension has gone silent. The steering rack plunger was replaced as well. Parts replaced are shown below.
Attachment 1059415

Parts
Wire, Steering Boot, Pinion side - 10.56/-
Support Comp, Front strut (2 nos) - 468.72/-
Joint Comp, FR Stabilizer - 401.08/-
Mount, Front Stabilizer (2 nos) - 32.72/-
Plunger, Steering Rack - 540.09/-
Washer, Tie Rod Lock - 16.74/-

Labour
Front Strut Both Side R&R - 900/-
Steering Overhaul - 795/-
A/C Servicing - 1945/-
A/C Gas Charging - 1845/-
Nine point Service - 250/-
Rear Brake Overhaul - 400/-
Front Suspension Overhaul - 815/-

The Swift's now back to being a bit more peppier. Engine's smoother and suspension's quieter.

Coming up : Yokos to Michelins.

Drive on,
Shibu.
it is good to see a fast running, kms gulping swiftD,
my swift vdi has clocked about 55000km, and my 15'' 195 yoko es100ns is no more. the threads are getting visible. which tire should i choose next?? planning to buy the yoko s-drive 195/55r 15 or the 205/50/r15. The es100ns was very hard and hard a stiff riding experience for me but was great in cornering and in braking.
i wanna try the s-drive 195/50 r 15 or 205/50 but feared of the bad roads in kerala.
which tire should i be selecting
thanks in advance.
Old 24th March 2013, 23:28   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1,30,000 service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
The es100ns was very hard and hard a stiff riding experience for me but was great in cornering and in braking.
i wanna try the s-drive 195/50 r 15 or 205/50 but feared of the bad roads in kerala.
which tire should i be selecting
thanks in advance.
I used 205/60 14" ES100s which gave me a great ride and sweet handling. I ran 30 psi at front and 28 psi at the back. The bumpiness was way better than on the Potenzas that I used. 15' might be more of a rocky ride though.

I right now use the 185/70 R14 Michelin XM2. Beautiful ride but can't match the handling and braking feel of the ES100s. The tyres have made the car peppier too - an effect of the reduce drag. However the 205 Yokos give a more planted feel and confidence at speed. Let's see how much life I can get out of it. The ride that I got from my ES100s was quite good too.

Using the Yokos you need to take care on rough roads. The side walls are quite soft and avoid scraping them on stones or kerbs. Take it easy on the rough stretch and you would be fine.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks