Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

shibu, congrats on your ownership, long term ownership report is quite useful and precise.Keep updating mate.Alloys are cool.
Old 19th August 2009, 22:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Review updated - Tyres Changed - and problems

40,000 kms and the Potenzas were up for replacement.

Sadly the 195/65 R14s were no longer being produced by Bridgestone so it was either 205/60 R14 Potenzas or 195/65 R14 Yokohomas. Went for the Bridgestones as the Bridgestone dealer gave me a better deal.

Everything went fine till the front left tyre was being removed. A wheel nut thread got stuck and the nut refused to come out. I started seeing visions of broken alloys and emtying pockets. In efforts to unscrew the nut the wheel stud now started rotating and I was in a bloody fix.

The tyre dealer talked of drilling through the wheel stud. Talked to a couple of lathe operators and the best I got was - remove the wheel and hub assembly and we'll see. It was August 15th and my usual service center was closed. luckily i managed to find another one.

The mechanic there managed to insert an Allen key into the nut and used leverage to rip it off the wheel stud. Luckily a week earlier i had changed to the chrome alloy nuts while made this possible. The alloy was not damaged in any way.

After this I got two TVS-Girling wheel studs (apparently the ones used for the Alto work fine for the Swift). The mechanic removed the wheel hub assembly. I got the wheel studs spot welded to the hub assembly so that they would not rotate in case the nut got stuck again. TVS nuts and bolts are highly regarded among mechanics.

The wheel hub has four holes through which the studs are inserted. The holes and the bottom of the wheel stud is milled to prevent the wheel studs from rotating. Hope my diagram below clears this up. In my case the milling on the hub was completely ripped.

It's funny how you luck turns out. I don't think the mechanics at my regular service center would have been able to remove the nut the way this particular chap did and I went to this service center only because the other was closed.

The new tyre was put onto the wheel and an ordeal was over. The 205s are pretty good. Taking it easy for the first 500 km or so. One thing that is noticeable is that the impacts of potholes and such imperfections are slightly muted now.

I have a couple of questions regarding the problems i faced with the wheel bolts :-
1. Did anybody face similar problems. The mechanic told me that this is a common problem with swifts.
2. The quality of the threads and nuts for the Swift don't impress me none. Does anyone have similar thoughts on this?

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-swift_wheel-nut.jpg  

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-img_6475-copy.jpg  

Old 19th August 2009, 22:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

shibu, just curious, where did you get those black & white seat covers done ?
Old 19th August 2009, 22:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Shibu do post pix of the car with new tyres.

And from where did you buy the tyres and how much?
Old 20th August 2009, 09:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn - I got the seat covers done at Powerhouse Accessories at Pattom. G-Sport - cost me 6500/-.

@jkdas - The tyres cost me 3500 each - a total of 14,000. Alingment, balancing and fitment was free.

Pics will be up in a couple of days. The car is in a very dirty condition now so that's why the delay.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Shibu the problem is with the after market wheel nuts that we put for the alloys. Use the OE nuts and no issues what so ever, maybe something to do with metal compatibility of OE nut and stud. Just my observation.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

jk if you really want to see the car, just come over to the maggi shop in front of bhavani. his car is probably nearby
Old 20th August 2009, 16:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
@greenhorn - I got the seat covers done at Powerhouse Accessories at Pattom. G-Sport - cost me 6500/-.

@jkdas - The tyres cost me 3500 each - a total of 14,000. Alingment, balancing and fitment was free.

Pics will be up in a couple of days. The car is in a very dirty condition now so that's why the delay.

Drive on,
Shibu.
And from which shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
jk if you really want to see the car, just come over to the maggi shop in front of bhavani. his car is probably nearby
Maggi shop??? Nestle one?
Old 21st August 2009, 18:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,

I think that what you said is correct. I was using the OE nuts. The problem with that is the nuts are too short so they are more often than not incorrectly screwed on which lead to a similar situation. These nuts are taller so they are easier to screw on by hand before using the gun. Do we get the OE nuts in a similar height? I was also thinking of the OE alloy nuts that come with the Swift Zxi.

@jk - I got the tyres from GRS Tyre World , Tiruvalla.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

@shibu: yes OE alloy nuts should work fine i guess.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Maggi shop??? Nestle one?
Yes, sorry, thats the one!
Old 24th August 2009, 13:40   #27
BHPian

Hey Shibu

Moved out to Pune for technopark few months back. I am planning to upgrade tyres for my swift. What are the differences pros/cons of 195/65 and 205/60 .. Which one looks better , is 205/60 bulging out too much out of the arches? With the lower profile, is ther any hit on the ride quality?
Old 24th August 2009, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Very informative. Thank you so much.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:21   #29
BHPian

My Swift VDi too is now almost 35K kms old! Touchwood, no real problems till date, and the car has been serving me well! Just enjoy every bit of driving this beauty! Consistently get 15-17kmpl in the city and 18-22kmpl on the highways.
Old 25th August 2009, 23:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Pics

Okie...here are a couple of pics. I thought that they would bring out the look of the tyres but it seems they didn't exactly come out well..anyway here they are.

@rageshbhaskar
Actually they don't look all that different from the 195s that I had on earlier. Just a bit more chunkier. Ride quality is better, I would say quieter - the thuds when driving over potholes are a lot more muted. As far as grip goes I haven't pushed it so far, as the tyres are still less than 500 km old. It's as good as the 195s if not better. Steering response is a bit dulled though.

@tushargohil - glad this helped. Thanks.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-img_6477.jpg  

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-img_6479.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks