Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 13:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hey Gaurav, Khoj.
What averages are u guys getting in Delhi ?
Mine is giving around 12-13 with ac. I'm quite impressed. Any way to extract more ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi Mandheer.
Anyway, the reason I asked them was because they're both in Delhi.
Also, bhpian Khoj lives right next door even though he doesn't know this.
Hi Sukrit,

I believe I somehow missed reading the "lives next door part". So where are you exactly? I can recall only one other Cedia in the neighbourhood and that is a French Claret, Spirit model. Is that yours?

Let us meet once I m back in Delhi, I have been out since January and am currently posting this from deep down South.

As for the average bit, did I respond to that query? and that too in my usual sarcastic manner. Again I cannot seem to recall. In Bombay I get around 11~11.5 with AC on 100%.

The reason I use the word "sarcastic" above is that I have a pm from the mods advising that I was rude in one of my posts on this thread and I cannot seem to recall when or how did that happen. I can be blunt/candid and a little too much in your face with my replies but rude!!!

Anyhow, if you recall this post of mine (now deleted) or for that matter any of your guys do, then please let me know.
Old 16th April 2011, 13:36   #167
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

@ Khoj: LOL yes you blasted someone on this thread a few weeks back for posting an unnecessary question.

You were only asking him to 'check the forum for an already answered query' and 'avoid posting only to increase his number of posts.'

Still looking, but cant find the post though.

I get a steady 7-8 with 100% AC in Mumbai, not that am complaining, but I drive pretty calm save for a few times only.

Last edited by mandheers : 16th April 2011 at 13:37.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Aaha ! now I remember. The post has been deleted by the mods, you will not be able to find it any more.

The average will improve, I too was getting single digit numbers early on.
Old 16th April 2011, 23:53   #169
Senior - BHPian

Yes. That was in response to my questions in post 129.
I am glad that I could find answers to my questions via a test drive.
Answers:
1. Cedia is suitable for people below 5 feet (my wife was at extreme easy with the test car.) Add to it the excellent front visibility. This is confidence inspiring.
2. Clutch pedal travel is perfect. This is unlike some European cars tested earlier.

Hope these answers help people with similar questions as me.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 02:07   #170
Senior - BHPian

Experience Life, Experience Driving

Had a blast driving today, Paschim Vihar, Moti Bagh, chanakyapuri, shanti path, delhi gurgaon expressway and back. Filled up a grand's fuel and finished it in 100 kms . 6KM/L

Got home and the fuel light was back and I remembered GTO's words "There is more to Life than KM/L". So I just added my experience to it. Here it goes ..

"There is more to driving (life) than KM/L, experience the thrill of 0-100 or top speed, experience the thrill of not shifting the gear till you sip the last drop of power of your engine, experience the thrill of cornering till your rear wheels start to lose traction, experience the thrill of life saving braking and then experience the smell of burnt clutch, burnt rubber, burnt brake pads; and if at all you can’t do all that, fill up your car’s fuel tank, set the trip meter on 0, drive at lowest rpm and experience the thrill of counting maximum KM/L till you sip the last drop of fuel in the tank."

DELHI ROCKS
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 23:44   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In Bombay I get around 11~11.5 with AC on 100%.
I've done about 18k km on my Cedia so far. I consistently get ~9.5 kmpl driving in heavy Bangalore traffic with 100% AC.

Funnily I got a similar average during my drives in the ghats of Kodai recently. Of course on the super smooth NH7 I could get around 14 kmpl without compromising on the fun part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Anyways this is the first problem I have witnessed after the uneven brake disc wear, which was witnessed some good 40k kms back .
For the first time I felt some shudder on the steering when I applied brakes at 100+ kmph speeds during the recent highway run. Never felt this before.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
For the first time I felt some shudder on the steering when I applied brakes at 100+ kmph speeds during the recent highway run. Never felt this before.
Uneven brake disc wear is evident in all cars that have ABS. Further, if you drive on ghats or hilly area too, the discs wear out unevenly sooner than what they will on normal roads. The problem in my car came after I had a trip from Delhi to Amritsar to Dharamshala and back delhi. The car had some 28k on the clock. However, I have been to shimla after that but the problem didint reappear. But I expect it soon as I have dont 42k kms without a shim now ..hehe

You need to get the front discs shimmed on a lathe machine and add a pair of new brake pads. At 18k the brake pads should be less than half worn out, but brake pads also wear uneven along with discs. Also, they go hard in a few years. Mine went hard within 2 years. You may use the same brake pads but I cant assure that the problem will be sorted.

The service center here in delhi shims the discs and charges Rs.1600 for the same. However, I got it done outside and paid Rs. 250. The front brake pads MMC costs Rs3800 including 400 labour from Mitsubishi. I however, got the aftermarket TRW front ones for Rs 2100.

Check with your service station if they shim the discs or not. Dont get complete discs changed, as yours will be perfect to run after a shim. Further, they will cost you 7k plus only for discs from Mitsubishi.

You can check post 35 of this thread for more details. Please note the prices mentioned in this posts are revised ones so they may differ from the ones in post 35.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st May 2011 at 11:29.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 11:21   #173
Senior - BHPian

Yup steering wheel shudder is an issue that keeps coming with brake pad wear. The only solution is as Gaurav suggested - skimming the discs and replacing the pads with new ones.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 19:25   #174
Senior - BHPian

Two years/48k kms with a Road Legal Rally Car - Its called the Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0351.jpg

Well, many of us buy cars according to needs rather than desire. Of course, we have responsibilities, which makes our desires take a back seat and we decide most stuff from head rather than heart. However, I am one person who strongly believes that decision taken from heart returns much more fruitful results compared to decision taken from head. So, I have always listened to what my heart says and I am glad I did the same 2 years ago.

Yes, Mitsubishi Cedia is the last car sold in India that one will opt if he listens to his head. But then, its the only car this side of 11 lac rupees that one will opt for, if one listens to his heart. See how things change Heart VS Head. So once again straight from the heart “Some people drive just to get to their destinations...others drive MITSUBISHI!”

Looks

I still like the shape of the car, very proportionate sedan, stands tall next to Honda Civic at Home, which is a generation younger. The small bump on the bonnet is a charm with triple diamond sticking on the nose. Smoked head lamps and crystal tail lamps further add a lot of character. From the front, it reminds me of Godzilla (don’t think so???, try looking from the same eye) and the rear IMHO is one of the sexiest in the market (the lights look too good at night). And then, this thing still turn heads even after 5 years of its launch in India. It looks elegant in white, sporty in red, wicked in black and kinky in yellow.

The car does have a low stance but still the ground clearance is best among various segments. Despite no end can on the stock exhaust tip, the wide and chunky exhaust pipe sends across a powerful message. The ones on city, Polo, vento are either puny or tucked inside bumper. The paint is again of very good quality, though that on Polo is of even better quality. Further, a Cedia without side skirts and spoiler looks blad to me, and when I say this, you need to consider that I am just 24.

However, the front bumper looks a bit nosy and I’d have personally loved an evo 8 look. What bloody stopped them from it, I want an answer. Damn… damn, damn.

I sometimes feel as if there is an auto show going on and everyone ask just one question again and again “ye kaunsi gaadi hai” as in “score kya hua hai”. And mind you answering the latter one is easier then answering the first one. And my answer these days is “lancer hai ji”.

But its only the new lancer that can take on the likes of civic. Damn, even the civic is due for replacement, where the hell is new lancer. Civic is one car that will age beautifully, even 10 years from now, it won’t look out of place.

Built Quality

The built quality of the Cedia is something I can vouch for, its better than the Civic/Polo, of course I don’t doubt the strong chassis/crumple zones of Civic/Polo but the outside sheets of metal is not as good as that of Cedia. Cant say what results cash tests will yield for these cars (Polo is 5 star rated and so will be the new Civic), but of personal experience, in case of small damages, the cedia takes hit much better than Civic/Polo. Bumpers are of excellent quality, the ones in Civic/Polo tears in the smallest of crash but the ones in Cedia tear apart the other vehicle. Added to a much better extended bumper, is a front cross and a head light support made of metal. This IMHO is much better than the plastic head light support in new cars amid strict pedestrian norms in later years. Move to the rear and you have a 6” thick metal support running across the car’s back. This is insulated with thick thermacol on which the bumper fits. Friend’s cedia (stationary at a police check post) was hit by a qualis with bull guard at more than 40kmph and all that Cedia had was a 2” crack on rear bumper. The qualis had a broken bull guard, bumper and head lights. My friend and I were pleasantly surprised to see the damage.

The doors are heavy and shut with a reassuring thud, though I’d love them to open and close the way Polos doors do.

I have managed to preserve the body line so far, touch wood but the bumpers have some bruises, and will need painting in a year or so, damn autos and bikers.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 19:51.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 19:29   #175
Senior - BHPian

Interior

The dash has a simple layout and I personally have loved it. But then the one in Civic/new lancer is to die for. This car is very easy to get in and out unlike lancer/Civic which have very low stance. Older people will not complaint if not appreciate.

Now, first thing you notice entering Cedia is that the plastic quality and fit and finish on this car can leave some of the sub 20 lac cars staring. I again prefer the black interiors with carbon fiber finish and black and titanium leather thrown around. I absolutely hate beige, which of course common Indian loves. If given an option in Civic and Polo, I’d choose black. Another thing good about black is that it ages well, beige is very difficult to maintain, especially when you have bunch of friends always ready to eat and drink (cola, what’d you think) in the car. It makes sure that you party hard all night and parents wont know about it next morning. But there is a catch, the fake carbon fiber gets scratched pretty easily and looks bad. The cousin’s 2 and a half year old kid has made sure that we replace it in my cousin’s cedia. All that the notorious kid do in the car is play with switches and ask “ye kaunsi gaadi hai” to every car on the road. But, what else is expected when he spends a lot of time with 2 petrol heads.

The Interiors feel much more roomy and airy, thanks to rally pedigree, the 360 view one get makes left right left even more fun/safe. The ORVMS and the rear view mirrors are excellent and you exactly know whats happening around you.

The beadings/glass channels are still new after 3.5 years/70k on the clock. The ones on Swift were half worn and out of place by this time. The wipers have not been changed once in 70k kms and they still do the job fine if not perfect.

Switches are again of good quality and have rather not aged. They fall in hand, and still feel and work as good as new, as if they are built to last a lifetime. This is one car that tops the chart when it comes to ergonomics. The rotary knobs though have an ancient feel to it.

The leather and plastic on door inserts is too good, the door arm rest and center arm rest are very comfortable. However, the adjustable arm rest on Civic is much better (ala comfortable) and European arm rest on Polo looks much cooler (first time I used these were in friend’s 5 in UK, simply fell in love).

Seats are very comfortable again and even a kid can find right driving position in the Cedia. The under thing support and lumbar support is sufficient and pushing your back to that of seat, gives you a feel that your complete spine is supported by the seat. However, the leather seats lack side support and despite wearing seat belts, you slide a little of your position when cornering. The non leather seats in my cousin’s Cedia provide much better support in corners. The driver seat also has good height travel but the rotator knob again is not as good as the lever you get in Civic or Polo.

The seats also have a long travel, my cousin who is more than 6 feet tall manages to stretch his legs full and still there is scope for the seat to go back.

Gear Shift

The gear shift on this car needs a special mention, one of the best in the market. The shift is very precise, slick and quick and the best part is that it falls perfect in your hand palm. The ones in Civic or Polo don’t fall in palm the way this thing does. However, the other two are also benchmarks in their segments.

Hand Brake

Hand brake is again very well placed, and fun to use. I can pull it at every turn if I get tyres and brake shoes for free. The one in Civic is most awkwardly placed and the one in Polo isn’t inspiring to pull. And then, Cedia is one car that loves to drift, at the end of the day the genes are that of an evo. And then Gals too love it..hehe.

Ride and Handling

The ride and handling again deserves a special mention according to me. It’s a good balance between ride and handling, not too bumpy and not too soft. The steering is very precise, especially on S-Drives. Its like your wish is my command. Of course the one on Civic is more spot on, but its heavy as well. I personally prefer the one on Cedia because it makes quick directional changes more fun. And I mean it, not even a 3 series comes close to the way this thing change directions. The rear too is very well sorted, body roll is there but the car will only stick its back out, if you try to be over aggressive on springs that are not hard. But still, the rear unlike Civic doesn’t float around after a jump at speed. The problem with Cedia is that, bigger and softer springs (though not as soft as what competition offers) have been used to increase ride height, without changing the suspension geometry, hence, you notice body roll and a detached steering. You can feel that the car is in air after a jump, thanks to bigger/softer springs and high GC, it certainly leaves a bad taste to the overall authentic drive. However, if you complain about soft suspension on this ride, the first thing you should do after buying any car this side of 20 lac rupees (leave apart 1.6 S fiesta, or vRS), is change the coilovers. The way I have driven this car in last two years, I have no grudges with this factory tuned suspension. And then, that rear independent multi link is in itself a benchmark for other independent suspension systems available in the market.

After 3.5 years and 70k, the suspension seems to have softened up. However, the loseliness you feel on most Japanese cars after 60k kms is still not there. I’d like to give credit to myself for this since I have done whatever I can to save the suspension. High running and abused suspension means more $$$$.

The comfort in Cedia is the best you can get in this segment and even a segment above, the ride isn’t bouncy and wollowy as in Civic or altis and the back seat passenger isn’t thrown around. My uncle, who mostly uses back seat of the car (chauffer driven), finds Cedia to be much more comfortable than the Civic or Swift. Though, he found Altis to be even better. The ride in Cedia below 40kmph can be a bit hard but increase the speed and this thing just eats the potholes and munches miles..

Coming from Swift/Lancer/Polo, the rear leg room is excellent and at par with the Civic (actual numbers are higher for Civic but then Cedia is more effective utilization of space.) This car can easily sit 5 adults, though the hump in the middle isn’t as low as that in Civic, it isn’t as high as that in Polo/Vento either.

Nothing beats this car on highway drives, its very comfortable, very easy to drive, and FUN, that too with a capital A. The straight line poise is excellent and even with left right left at speeds over 150, this thing doesn’t loses its composure. A one day, to and fro drive to Chandigarh is a testimony of same.

Heart of the Matter.

Taking about the engine, yes, it isn’t a scorcher in stock form, but the low end torque and linear power delivery is very good. Further, the 115 BHP is pretty decent power for the car. Of course, 140 would be ideal for this engine but then look, we are dealing with makers of ambassador who have 35 bhp of that isuzu 1.8. The revv feel has improved dramatically after the synthetic oil change and its now that true colours of synthetic oil are much more witnessed. Higher rpms are more easily and quickly achievable. Bad condition of clutch oil was a hindrance to this after the change to synthetic engine oil, but clutch oil replacement has rather shown improved results from synthetic engine oil too. There is a little surge you get after 2k rpm but the one that you get after 4k is much more inspiring. The throttle response is decent but not what I’d like it to be. You need to be in best gears to get best throttle response. Press the accelerator in right gear and this thing darts ahead all the way up till 210km/h (OD reading). What you need to try is higher rpms, just under 100 at 2nd, 140 ish at 3rd and 175ish at 4th and top speed at 5th. However, I still like the revv happy 1.8 of Civic, the output at higher rpm is much more communicated to driver, which is one thing I really appreciate.

But this doesn’t mean I am underestimating this engine. No I can’t dare to. For one, let me tell you that I was surprised to read RPWs (tuner from Australia, specializes in Mitsubishis) details of 4G94, where it said that the stock internals can also take up to 14 PSI of boost, depending upon intercooler, tuning and an upgraded gasket.

Here is a link

Lancer CG/CH - 4G94 SOHC 16v Vehicle Performance Modification Guide

And if you don’t believe it, have a look at this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2346154

Still need more evidence..ok…have a look at this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2345648

Clutch

The clutch on this thing is pretty heavy duty. And then I’d again give credit to myself for not riding on it and getting the foot of the pedal as soon as I shift. Though, a performance issue was witnessed some 2k kms ago, it was the bad condition of clutch oil that resulted in it. After the clutch oil change, the clutch feels as good as new, even better than the one on my friend’s cedia, which has some 45k on the clock. Revving got better, and clutch has gone soft.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 19:54.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:32   #176
Senior - BHPian

Storage…my car isnt your recycle bin, take your stuff along.

The storage space is rather poor. Small stuff can go in tiny glove box (even 800 has bigger glove box), center arm rest and front door pockets but bottles, and other bigger stuff finds its space in Huge Front seat back pockets, which again become flappy after consistent use. Don’t even remember how many times I have argued with my parents and brother to not to store bottles and bigger stuff in back pockets, but then there is no other place.

The cup holders both at front and rear are used extensively but I still love the way cup holders make its place in Civic. Smaller things in Civic is much more appreciate by one, with gradual ownership. The smaller things are what makes you wonder, wow, some one thought about it.

Instrument Cluster and cabin light

Instrument cluster though easy to read is very basic, for god sake, even an i10 has a better one. An Evo 8-9 cluster would have looked much more coor. The yellow light on instrument cluster looks like that from 70s cars, especially after you sit in Civic, which has blue lights, or Polo, which has red. Seat belt reminder light/beep is sorely missed.

A single cabin light is not sufficient at times, especially in the front. Again, what stopped them from giving standard cabin lights in front (above RVM).
I personally hate the revv limiter in Cedia, hitting at 6k, it feels as if you have hit a wall, the good old lancer manages 7k+ rpm without trouble.

Ergonomics

The Cedia has adequate room in the foot well. The ABC (accelerator, brake, clutch) pedals can be adopted very easily by everyone. They fall in place and reduce driving fatigue by up to 50%, when compared to Civic, Swift or the ABC controversial king Polo. I absolutely hate driving Polo in bumper to bumper traffic because of huge clutch travel and lack of dead pedal.

The locking mechanism is in fact good and I appreciate it. The doors don’t have auto lock when you start driving, which is what I like. I personal don’t think that it is safe to have auto locks. All doors lock/unlock when with driver’s door. But then each door also has its independent locks as well. In Polo, you will get fed up of locking/unlocking the car as it is all controlled by driver. In cedia, when you pull driver side’s lever to open the door, when its locked, it first unlocks all the doors and then in second time you can open the door.

I sometimes mistakenly switch on the head lamps during day time, a beep ensures I switch them of before I leave the car. Very hand at least for me. Don’t remember how many times, I had to jump start 800.

Features

The ABS is the best thing an enthusiast can get. Believe me, I have had narrow escapes on Polo (non abs), since I am used to Cedia. I have to be extra cautious braking at high speeds in Polo, Swift. Though the 800’s brakes still doesn’t bother me. May be because I learnt driving on it or may be because it doesn’t have boosters and the pedal is firm. The Cedia just stops when I ask it to. And then I have actually felt EBD on Cedia, with the tire with most traction getting more brake boost.

The dual air bag, all wheel discs, 15” alloys and steering tilt all feels great but then a basic single din music system in such well equipped car leaves many thinking. The steering wheel is big, thought I have gone used to it now, I still don’t know why they didn’t offer momo in first place, at least in sports model. Makes me wonder, was HM waiting for the car to have flop show, so that it can add oz alloys, momo steering, double din, climate control, reverse cameras and immobilizer. For god sake, the people who paid maximum for Cedia in 2006, didn’t even get leather interiors, leather wrapped steering wheel and even fog lights. The steering despite leather stitching was thin for me to hold and an aftermarket Stanley cover took care of it. The horn pad again is the worst one can get on any car; it has a diameter of not above 1.5” at the center of the steering. The same level of equipments on Cedia from day one at current price could have shown better sales results.

Thought of changing alloys also comes in but I always contain myself saying that if I am not to upgrade to 16s or 17s, whats the point of change. The stock ones look decent if not good.

Also, don’t remember how many times I have been realized by gals that a light is missing next to the vanity mirror on the sunvisor. Gals, you give them a car fitted with complete make up kit and they will still complain.

Chill Man.

AC is another thing in this car that needs applause. Why, I will tell you, but before that….thanks to a pathetic tree in front of our house which sheds tiny leaves all year round (leave apart December-feb, when the tree is actually naked), car AC servicing is a mandatory job every 2 years. The 2 year old Civic has had an ac service this year but it hasn’t been needed so far in Cedia. A blocked heater core results in Iceing issues. No your ICE doesn’t sound bad, I am talking about ice in heater core, it freezes and doesn’t allow thermostat to work. Hence, you get white fumes from ac vents, same as what you get when you open the freezer at home. This is specifically witnessed during rains. Now, I am pretty sure, the Cedia will need ac service next year. For service, the complete dash needs to be ripped apart and heater core and blower needs to be cleaned and gas is refilled. There is no filter in Cedia and it wasn’t there in Civic either. Honda has got a filter added lately but it is nothing but a piece of junk. Polo for that matter has an AC filter which works wonders. A damn Rs. 600 filter can save you 4k in future. Yes, thats what it costs to get the AC serviced at service station, both Honda and Mitsui. And if you feel that it is expensive, a complete service (including ripping apart the dash and fixing it again) costs about 3k from outside. Add to that, an SRS code or any other can come when you detach the dash wiring and getting it cleared in itself will cost 1k from outside. So, its not worth the effort.

Now the why? When it comes to cooling, this AC is a chiller, despite leather interiors and garware sun film, and delhi’s heat, the AC chills in minutes. But I must say the one in Civic too is excellent and that of Polo is impressive. Without sunfilms, the AC of Civic chills in minutes and that of Polo make things pretty cozy.

The vents again can be closed fully and I make sure I close passenger side vents when I drive alone. Keep the AC at 1 speed and with only driver side vents working. The center vents in Civic cannot be closed.

Rattles

Yes, small rattles from front door/glove box is audible but then even after 70k on clock, the cedia's rattles are 1% of what previous cars from MS and Tata had. However, I must say, the Polo at home is lasting rattle free similar to the way Cedia has lasted. The civic too with 45k kms on the clock is rather rattle free.

The front door rattle disturbs me when I am with my family or my gal..and the music is low. They don’t even notice it and sometimes also gets annoyed at my reactions and say 'the car is fine', can't you think about anything else.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 19:37.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:35   #177
Senior - BHPian

Issues Noticed on many Cedias (auto trader, we tell you the good things and the bad things..lolzz).

First issue that one can face is the shudder while braking. Its common in all cars that have ABS. The issue has been addressed and talked about a lot on following threads/posts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2343731

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2339497

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2333854

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1426681

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264253

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264716

Clock spring has failed in atleast 3 out of 10 Cedias, a new one sets back the owner by 12k, if the car is not under warranty. But if it lasts more than 3 years, it should last pretty well.

Steering Pipe seapage, every second Cedia has this issue, the steering pipe has seapage from the extreme end joint, near the firewall. Solution, its just a seepage, keep a steering oil handy if at all it leaks, though I have seen/heard any leaking. ROC also changed his Cedia’s steering pipe, must be the same pipe. A new one will set you back by 8k kms. The seapage seems to come after 50k kms, I have witnessed the same in last 3-4 kms and my cousin’s Cedia has it from the time we bought it (some 60k kms on clock, now has 74k kms, no issues with pipe).

Due to increased GC (bigger springs..no change in suspension geometry..remember??), the suspension bushes may go kaput within 50k kms. You won’t get the link kit from outside easily, hence you may end up replacing the arms atleast. Please avoid bumps as much as you can.

Lastly, fuel pump failures have been reported down south, especially Mumbai and surrounding areas, due to adulterated fuel. A new pump will set you back by Rs.7k.

Maintenance cost.

Although, I have listed maintenance cost of my Cedia till date, here is another thread that talks about the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ance-cost.html

Service parts are far easily available but major parts may entail a waiting period of a week to ten days. But you will certainly get them. For that matter, the oil filter and air filter of Cedia is same as that of lancer and Fuel filter assembly is changed at 1 lac kms. Don’t want to go to A$$ for service, well, your local garage won’t have a problem.

Also, find attached my car’s maintenance cost sheet till date. Its been very impressive and its only the fuel cost that hurts. Why do private diesel owners get subsidy…why???

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-cedia-1.png

I have done alignment four times and balancing only three times since I got the car, the suspension doesn’t seem to give up easily. First, when I got the car, the previous owner had slime in the tyres, I had to get rid of it and balance the tyres. The car used to bubble like anything over 130-140. Got it done within a week after getting the car. Second time was when I got the new set of tires and third time was last week, when I got 2 tyres flipped (rotation tyres).

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th May 2011 at 19:37.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

No A$$, Why?

One thing I have always appreciated about Mitsubishi is its customer service. I can vouch that no service station I have been to including Maruti Suzuki, VW, Honda, or Tata has been able to provide the same level of customer satisfaction as what I get at HM –Mitsubishi.

The reason is simple, when one is over burdened by work, one tries to finish as much as one can without caring about the quality, its quantity that matter. And thats with every one.

As I always say, Honda, toyota, suzuki, these are like Commercial Cinema (aimed at majority people). Mitsubishi is like Art Cinema (aimed at specific audience). People appreciate Mitsubishi but they dont do even 1/100th business of what their competitors do.

Spare Parts

Getting spare parts from aftermarket is bit more than problematic and even if you do, the rates are similar to the A$$ rates. Why? HM (Birlaji) has some setting through which the running OE parts sourced, costs same as it does in aftermarket. The parts are of course expensive but at par with civic, some are actually cheaper, brake pads, filters, accidental parts. Now, if you want to talk about auto car figures, they are bull ****. If you consider bumper of cedia, consider it for 9 grand, and compare it to civic. Why add skirting cost of 17k in it and then compare to civic. If you want to then compare the skirting cost of civic to that of Cedia. Fuel pump assembly costs 23k but it is changed at 1 lac kms. Has been discussed in detail in Cedia maintenance cost thread.

Kitna deti hai “FE”

Well, it’s a moral right of every Indian to ask this question and it’s also a moral responsibility of every India to answer it as well. So I will duly do the need full.

I have been getting FE of around 11-12 ish with light foot in Delhi. I get around 6-7 with heavy foot and around 13ish on highways. Max I have managed over 15kmpl from Delhi to Gurgaon and back Delhi. I could have easily counted the number of times I pressed clutch on that trip and also did not exceed over 2k rpm.

Ofcourse, getting 6 is FUN but only till the fuel tank is not empty. And then as GTO's says "There is more to Life than KM/L". So I just added my experience to it. Here it goes ..

"There is more to driving (life) than KM/L, experience the thrill of 0-100 or top speed, experience the thrill of not shifting the gear till you sip the last drop of power of your engine, experience the thrill of cornering till your rear wheels start to lose traction, experience the thrill of life saving braking and then experience the smell of burnt clutch, burnt rubber, burnt brake pads; and if at all you can’t do all that, fill up your car’s fuel tank, set the trip meter on 0, drive at lowest rpm and experience the thrill of counting maximum KM/L till you sip the last drop of fuel in the tank."

ICE (Peli CD main chappi 2 hazaar wari, dooji CD main bechi do sau hazaar wari, nai mukabla ve jag’ch mera, meri teeji CD da naam, “Da Raap Star”, mainu Universal wale dende tankha, bally sagoo UK to mainu bheje paisa.... “Bohemia main Punjabi rap star”..lolzz)

We are Punjabi at heart, and we like high bass, so there is an amp and a base tube for sure, I am sorry. We show off, so a good HU was in place, I am sorry. And then we hear a bit loud (depends on how you read), so there are some good speakers, and I am sorry again.

Pioneer DEH - P5990IB
JBL – GT0937 Rear oval Speakers (300W)
JBL – GT0637 (if I remember right) Front Speakers (200W)
JBL – GT5-A604 four channel amp (640W)
JBL – Base tube, don’t remember the number its 1100 W.
Pioneer TS20 tweeters
Scosche wiring

Every thing except TS20s was with bill and I must say not once was I needed to use the warranty. The Pioneer head set and JBL rear ovals and amp were purchased in January 2008 for 800. The rest were purchased in May 2009, when I got Cedia.

I am more than pleased with the output, but since last year when I heard the Rockford Fosgate in the EVO, a bug to upgrade keeps biting me. But then I’d spend that money on performance mods rather than on music upgrade. This one anyways sounds good. Though dad thinks a bit different, first thing he asks me to lower entering Cedia is the treble and bass.

The HU’s display went kaput last month after 3 good years, but I managed to source a used mouth from karol bagh for 1 k. It The HU doesn’t have USB but certainly has an Aux input, so, I play music from my iphone. However, one thing I’d say for pioneer is that “they don’t make HU, the way they used to”. The quality had deteriorated in recent years and its only the top of the line model that you may like.

The JBL setup is amazing, despite the fact that it is played at high volumes, the setup hasn’t gone wrong ever. The sound quality is very good, loud and clear.

The Stock speaker were in my wardrobe till last year, but mum gave it to someone for free.. All mums are same.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 19:42   #179
Senior - BHPian

Tyres Yokohama S Drives

Well, the S-Drives have been the most controversial tires here on team bhp and I must say I was among the first few who felt the heat.

Heres my initial experience with the S-drives.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-drives-4.html

Some other reviews.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2288356

I have had a mixed experience till now. The Yoko S drives have done about 27k kms, they are still as LOUD and NOISY as they were at 7k kms, but I have managed not to wreak any other tyre apart from the one that bulged at 7-8k kms. Please note, I drive most of the times on best roads across Delhi, with occasional highway trips to Gurgaon and Chandigarh. On bumps, I go very slowly, about 10-30 max.

But, these tires simply cannot abuse, the way bridgestones/contis can. Its best Yokohama sticks a warning on every tyre "TO BE DRIVEN ONLY ON AUTOBAHNS OR SIMILAR ROADS "

OT: give a car with s-drives to any normal driver (used to good years, apollo, mrf, bridgestone) and you will see atleast one tyre go kaput every month, if the road conditions are average or below average.

However, I absolutely love the performance of these, they corner well, are very stable and sticks to ground at all times, be it dry or wet conditions and lastly the steering remains as precise as ever. Also thanks to excellent suspension set up of Cedia, the alignment does't go wrong even after 20k kms compared to other cars at home which do need alignment at as less as 5-7k kms. So, the tyres have managed very well in terms of life and I must say against my expectations of max 30k. Even after 27k kms, I expect them to last in good condition for another 5-7k kms.

I am still looking for options for next change (upgrade??), performance again is at the top of wish list followed by tyre noise.

Thanks for reading the long post.

And before I leave. I’d request every one to drive safe, its our moral responsibility. As I say driving over 80 (100 max) on our highways (some of which are now good enough to test Bugatti's top speed), is like buying a lottery ticket to Heaven/Hell (depends on Karma you do), and there are more chances of you to hit the jackpot than to hit the top speed. DRIVE SAFE Fellas.

Will click some pics of the car tomorrow, the cleaner didnt come yesterday and he didnt come today either and I didnt feel the need to clean the car in such hot weather.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 22:19   #180
BHPian

Phew gaurav after reading this long ownership review i must say that i forgot some of the things you had mentioned in the beginning by the time i reached the end!!

i agree with most of what you have said-the driving experience is like none other and given the good fuel efficiency i really wonder why nobody buys this car!!

Though i would have loved a heavier steering!!like you had mentioned once do not know if the oz alloys are adding to the light steering feel!

air conditioner is top class!somewhat i feel i missed to mention this in my review of the cedia.its a chiller!

thankfully i have not experienced any problem with my clock!now that i have extended warrantyi can hope things remain like that for another year!and so also the steering wheel issues-never experienced it till now!

I agree with the body roll aspect and also the jump one feels due to the soft suspension.i guess i should change the coil-overs right?

And for some odd reason i just love the basic but clear instrument display-all what is necessary is there and nothing is there that is unnecessary!maybe the age difference between us-i am 31!!

which tires will be best?michelin?and which one in that?i guess i am not going for yokohama

i felt insurance was a tad costly-compared to the rates i have seen.anyway not a problem with the car!

but i agree with you most the thing about other people enquiring which car this is-i too have started telling everyone "it is just the mitsubishi lancer" after umpteen times i tell cedia and then invariably the question comes-"what ceedya?how do you spell it?when was it launched etc etc"

Last edited by carfreak : 12th May 2011 at 22:25.

Most Viewed