Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 10:52   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
But they are stuck at 4000-5000 RPMs at most and can never get the sensation of high revving petrols!
Didn't I tell you mate, the high revvs have started to cost a bit too much . Filled up just under 8L for Rs.500 last night.
Old 15th May 2011, 22:50   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I think you got it wrong, I have a gear lock that is manufactured by Autocop, no autocop secutity alarm or any thing.
Well, without getting into the probability aspects or even motivation factors for stealing Cedias, may I ask more about this gear lock?
Can you give me some reference product number or URL so that I can explore further?

Thanks.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:40   #198
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when you are on brakes all the time, and then you didnt get the discs shimmed when you last installed new bake pads. The inside brake pads on the front on both sides have worn out in just 14k kms. The outside still have thickness of 3-4mm and can easily last 8-10k kms.

Went for a drive late last night when I started hearing the noise. First I thought it could be a stone between pads and dics and will go in some time. Cousin all the time, pads gai tere (pads are gone). Me: abhi to 15k bhi nahi hue (its not even 15k kms), but yes it sounds like brake pads.

Stopped the car to check the pads width, and the outer ones visible from alloys had metal. Me: aise hi dara raha tha, abhi pads hai (you scared me, pads are still fine).

Started the car in the evening today and the scretching noise was still there. I took the tyres off to check for the width of the pads and the inner ones on both sides were gone. And I was like, how can it be possible. And then it strikes me, Sanjay (technician at Asian Motors) said, Sir, better get the discs shimmed as you are installing new pads and I said leave it as it would have costed another 1600 from A$$ and then I didnt witness any shudder while braking.

Damn, 14k on OE brake pads that costed Rs. 3800 including 400 labour, I agree I show no mercy while braking at high speeds but 14k .

Lesson: Discs should be shimmed /changed as per condition everytime a new set of brake pads go in. Also, old brake pads dont go on new discs.

Now, time to get discs shimmed and get TRW aftermarket pads. Damage should be around 2.5k in total. Karol Bagh is closed on monday, so I get the work done on Tuesday .

@Sun, its a normal pin type gear lock which you will find in most cars today. A few details are mentioned on Team Bhp itself. The website of autocop seems to be a bit silly, havent got any products listed..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th May 2011 at 23:57.
Old 16th May 2011, 00:18   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
brake pads on the front on both sides have worn out in just 14k kms.
are you sure they have put the original ones ? I had very bad experience with Mitsubhishi guys at Gurgaon - Spurious Brake Pads , Fan Belts & who knows about Oil - please go to *** again and ask them to show the new ones - match it with your one & tell them that you are going to send these parts with copy of Invoice to HM - maybe sense prevails on them and they compensate to you .

Quote:
Lesson: Discs should be shimmed /changed as per condition everytime a new set of brake pads go in.
Not always - if you are sure you never felt any thing before , normal cleaning with Sand would have served the purpose and if the cuts were indeed deep - *** should not have fitted the new pads , this should cost around Rs 250 per wheel from market .
Old 16th May 2011, 00:43   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
are you sure they have put the original ones ? I had very bad experience with Mitsubhishi guys at Gurgaon - Spurious Brake Pads , Fan Belts & who knows about Oil - please go to *** again and ask them to show the new ones - match it with your one & tell them that you are going to send these parts with copy of Invoice to HM - maybe sense prevails on them and they compensate to you .
First, these pads were installed in front of me, they were genuine MMC pads from a sealed box which was opened in front of me. No way they were fake.

Second, with the kind of experience I have had with Asian Motors, I couldnt have been suspicious about them even if I wont have got the pads installed in front of me.

Its definitely the discs and my driving style which is to be blamed to some extent. Only inner pads wearing is a give away for same.

And yes, chanakya motors in gurgaon were closed because they were caught selling suspicious/fake Mitsubishi spares.

Quote:
Not always - if you are sure you never felt any thing before , normal cleaning with Sand would have served the purpose and if the cuts were indeed deep - *** should not have fitted the new pads , this should cost around Rs 250 per wheel from market .
its better to get it done in most cars with ABS, non abs cars wont have such trouble even if you dont shim/sand paper clean the discs till 1 lac kms.

800, alto, santro, swift, lancer and indica never had such issues. Cedia and Civic at home, both with ABS, has had these within 30k kms. Uneven wear of discs and brake shudder. In fact, a lot of posts in maintenance thead of civic talks about this. This thread too has some related posts.

And yes, A$$ asked me to shim the discs but I refused. I got the discs shimmed first time i got the pads changed at 30k kms. The second ones lasted for 26k kms and I should have got the discs shimmed again while getting these third set which I of course didnt.

In between, I appreciate your advise .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th May 2011 at 01:01.
Old 16th May 2011, 07:40   #201
Team-BHP Support

Nice to know about your experience with HM dealers , i was quite pissed off with Gurgaon & Chandigarh guys , BTW do they have different parts for Cedia depending on country of origin ? i remember they told about 2 kind of Brake pads for my Pajero - Japanese & Indian ones & difference in price was substantial .
Old 16th May 2011, 11:38   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Nice to know about your experience with HM dealers , i was quite pissed off with Gurgaon & Chandigarh guys.
Both Asian Motors and Excel Motors, here is delhi are good when it comes to A$$ and customer satisfaction. I havent personally been to Excel ever but what ever I have heard about them, they are good.

I had heard lot of bad stuff about Chanakya Motors, in fact, I even know where they sourced their aftermarket parts from, but thats a different story all together.

But I thought that Chandigarh dealer should have been good, considering the fact that Chandigarh is one place where Mitsuis sell much more than any other place in India.

Quote:
BTW do they have different parts for Cedia depending on country of origin ? i remember they told about 2 kind of Brake pads for my Pajero - Japanese & Indian ones & difference in price was substantial .
Parts of cedia are all made in Japan. The brake pads too are made in Japan from MMC (Mitsubishi Materials Corporation).

Cant say about Pajero since a lot of wear and tear parts are made in India, but then an OEM always have one choice, either made in India or made in Japan. My guess, made in India were after market pads. Will enquire next time I visit A$$.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th May 2011 at 11:40.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:18   #203
Senior - BHPian

I was all set to go to karol bagh tomorow morning till I got reminded of a link posted on Civic Maintenance thread.

Car Parts - Spare Parts Car Spare Parts Supplier Auto parts Exporters India

Called them up ar 12:30 to enquire about the pads of Cedia and they said they will get back to me. I recieved a call from them at 3:30 saying that front pads of Roulunds Braking will be available for Rs 1900. I pay similar money in Karol Bagh for TRWs. I knew about Roulunds because I had worked for auto parts research firm and I knew Roulands was a reliable denmark company. But even if you dont, a small google search will do the need full.

I asked for a sealed pack and asked if they can deliver. They said they can deliver free of cost till nearest metro station. Bingo, I asked them to deliver the pads at pitampura Metro station as coming to Peera Garhi would have taken the guy more time (he said he will need to change metro and all) and then I wanted to get over with pads installation in the evening.

They asked for an hour to deliver the pads and said their delivery boy will reach pitampura by 4:45. So I reached there at 4:40 and waited for 10 minutes before the delivery boy also reached. Went in 800, ahhh.., its too hot these days. I had old worn pads with me (keep it as sample, as cedia's pads at not easily available) and I matched the new ones with the old.

Thereafter, went to a local known mechanic (though I visit him rarely, got regular one in cannought place) and asked to him to get the discs shimmed and install new pads. Paid 300 for pads and 300 for discs shimming. Total damage 2500/-

The inner pads were completely worn off and outside were good for more than 10k kms .

Here are some pics.

Roulunds pads

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-roulunds-pads.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-poulunds-pads-1.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-r-pads.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-r-pads-1.jpg

discs before shimming - see uneven wear and lines, the inside (2nd pic) was in pretty bad shape.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-old-disc-1.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-old-disc.jpg

Old pads - see the outer one (left) is just half worn and the inner one (right) is completely gone

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-old-pads.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-old-pads-1.jpg

Disc being shimmed on lathe machine, both mechanic and lathe machine guy said that the discs can be shimmed one more after this, but I am going to take numbers next time I visit A$$ and measure it, if its not possible to shim after this, will replace discs with next pads replacements.
For now, its reasonably thick and safe.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-lathe-machine.jpg

Shimmed discs going back, couldnt take more pics as it was getting dark.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-simmed-disc-1.jpg

Now, the new pads should last atleast 25k without issues....shuuuu !

EDIT: the lathe machine guy had lot of discs, engine blocks, camshaft, heads from DEEP Hyundai for faceing.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th May 2011 at 22:46.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 19:09   #204
BHPian

Re: Cedia goes Synthetic. HM-Mitsubishi recommends synthetic oil change at 20k kms /

Quote:
Was recommended to change wiper blades which costed INR1400, to which I denied. Will get a set of Bosch, as rainy season approaches. For now, the current ones are not that bad either.
Sorry, referring to an old post of yours. Did you get a pair of Bosch wipers? Anyone who has replaced the Cedia OE wipers with Bosch?
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 20:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cedia goes Synthetic. HM-Mitsubishi recommends synthetic oil change at 20k kms /

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Sorry, referring to an old post of yours. Did you get a pair of Bosch wipers? Anyone who has replaced the Cedia OE wipers with Bosch?
No, I will get them in a month or so, when monsoons arrive. For now, the current wipers are doing the job fine. In fact, they can last more but I'd prefer to change it before monsoons.

EDIT: Talk about monsoons and it has just started raining..lolzz.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th May 2011 at 20:51.
Old 21st May 2011, 15:07   #206
BHPian

Re: UPDATE: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia

Quote:
UPDATE: The car wasnt behaving normal since a forthnight now (especially since the weather started changing) and I was a bit worried. To be precise the ABC (Accelerator, Brake and Clutch, new term learnt today ) used to get extra soft and wollowy during normal driving and immidiately got very hard when the car was pushed over 2-3k rpm. The same symptoms were also witnessed with slight change in temperatures. Soft and wollowy when its hot and extra hard during slight drop in temperature.

The change in performance as per weather kept me guesssing on what the problem could be until, the gone viscosity of brake/clutch fluid came to my mind. Yes, it can be that I thought and went to Asian Motors today morning. In between, I thought of kaput clutch came to my mind but a clutch cannot go from good condition to worse in 15-20 days and also there were no signs of slipping. So I discarded that option.

They bleeded the clutch/brake oil and kept adding more oil (atleast 4-5 times) till all the old oil and other residue was drained. On inspecting the old oil, I was shocked, I was in pretty bad shape. Even the waste residue of cylinder piston along with carbon was very much visible. I couldnt believe that the oil went that bad in 32k kms as the recommended change is every 40k kms. I remember when the oil was changed at 36k kms, it wasnt in that bad shape. May be because at that time the assemblies were new and driving style of previous owner was sedate.

Also, the intake just before the throttle body was removed and some recarbonising spray was sprayed to the butterfly valve.

On driving the car back, I felt as if I have been handed altogether a different cedia, no harshness, no wollowiness, no softness, nothing. Things were perfect and much better than normal. The clutch pedal became soft and brakes were spot on. The accelerator pedal was still a bit hard (much better though compared to what it was before spay on butterfly valve, slight hesitation is still evident). Will have to get the throttle body open and cleaned. Didnt want to spend more time today as I has some other important bits to catch up.

I was very pleased again with the kind of work carried out. Costed about Rs 540/- in total and about one and a half hour .
Hey GC, did you get this done at the Mitsubishi service station?

Planning on getting it done next week.

But I'll be surprised, as you say it's 40k for oil change and, if it's gone bad.

My drive is always in heavy Mumbai traffic, although I make the most of the dead-pedal and stay off the clutch as much as possible.

Will also ask them to look up the brakes, they feel sluggish at times and braking I have already cited is a bit off, only at times.

It's like if I suddenly slam on the brakes hard, it stops dead, but if I brake gradually then the pedal goes soft, and has to depressed and pressed again for immediate braking.

Will update soon.
Old 21st May 2011, 16:21   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers
Hey GC, did you get this done at the Mitsubishi service station?
Yes, I got that done at service station.

Quote:
But I'll be surprised, as you say it's 40k for oil change and, if it's gone bad.
Call me an idiot and blame my driving style....lolzzz, high revs quick shifts all the time, extra wear of assemblies.

My cousin's cedia has done 75k, still no issues.

Quote:

My drive is always in heavy Mumbai traffic, although I make the most of the dead-pedal and stay off the clutch as much as possible.

Will also ask them to look up the brakes, they feel sluggish at times and braking I have already cited is a bit off, only at times.

It's like if I suddenly slam on the brakes hard, it stops dead, but if I brake gradually then the pedal goes soft, and has to depressed and pressed again for immediate braking.
Hey Mandheers,

Ok do one thing, ask them to get you new clutch/brake oil (common in cedia, two cylinders sharing common oil), don't pay for labour, only oil for some Rs. 250/-.

Ask them to bleed clutch and brake lines and make sure vacuum is fine. We have vacuum brakes here, very sensitive; more vacuum, softer brakes; less vacuum, harder brakes. It should be within limit not too hard, not too soft.

I know you are referring to a spongy feeling here, I think it's excess vacuum.

lastly, get rpm adjusted and make sure air filter is clean. And you will do fine.

Visit ASC and update us, .

Damn, the net at home isn't working since yesterday and typing from phone is awww... It cannot replace a pc/laptop. Thought the new team bhp application is coming in very handy now..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st May 2011 at 16:23.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 23:15   #208
BHPian

Quote:
No, I will get them in a month or so, when monsoons arrive. For now, the current wipers are doing the job fine. In fact, they can last more but I'd prefer to change it before monsoons.

EDIT: Talk about monsoons and it has just started raining..lolzz.
Thanks. Do update us once you change the wipers. The reason I asked is that I read in a very old thread that Bosch wipers weren't available in the same size as the Cedia stock ones.
Old 21st May 2011, 23:37   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Thanks. Do update us once you change the wipers. The reason I asked is that I read in a very old thread that Bosch wipers weren't available in the same size as the Cedia stock ones.
@CBlazer i changed the OE to Bosch recently!!i got it done at the A.S.S. only-the new spares they have are Bosch wipers and the packaging has Mitsubishi Motors stickers and labelling!!so the new OE wipers are Bosch!They are made in Korea!

do check my thread for cost details!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 12:55   #210
Senior - BHPian

My initial review should come up in a couple of weeks or so.
Battery went dead (I am suspecting the headlamp upgrade + relay to have caused this, but I am not sure). Replacing it with a new Exide battery.

Can someone help me source an original gear knob in beige colour ?

Most Viewed