Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 13:34   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Thanks @Khoj.
The Windshield guy said the only option is to replace it. There are no visible scratches etc, but he said there are some circular 'swirls' (if I may use that term).
I was a bit surprised when he said, that windshield typically lasts for 2-3 years only.

I am actually getting the work done at Windshield Experts and not at A.S.S, since this is closer to my place. Yes, I would have to claim insurance for this and pay for 1 bottle of sealant (the other one will be paid by the insurer).

I was told that I would be getting the same manufacturer's glass - I think it was Asahi -maybe made in India, but not sure about that.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:56   #242
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Windshield experts is a unit of Asahi India therefore all of the glass they sell necessarily comes from the mothership. I do not want to sound like a stuck record but would like to see the glass being treated to a professional cleaning job prior to the change. Swirls with no scratches are due to cleaning with the cloth that has been used to clean the body of the car too and can be made to go away. On a side note if possible keep three separate cloths for cleaning the car body, the glasses and the interiors. This 50 bucks invested monthly has helped me keep my cars as fresh as when they were new for as long as 10 years (longest I have kept an individual vehicle.

Further it is best to change windscreens etc. (unless it is an emergency) during sunny days as the adhesive does not tend to bond as well in humid weather.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 15:54   #243
Senior - BHPian

Good inputs. I just called the number you gave.
Here is the conversation:
Me: Can I get windshield cleaning done?
N: No we don't do that. What is the issue?
Me: On coming light spreads in vertical lines at night.
N: Scratches!
Me: I can't see any scratches.
N: They can't be seen, but they are there. Earlier Asahi used to do rectification, now they have also stopped. Only solution, replace the glass
Me: Ok. Is it in stock?
N: Will check and call you back in 5 min.

I find it a little hard to believe that oil would remain on the screen after the amount of rain water that has hit my windshield in the last two weeks.

Do you know a place where they do a proper cleaning of the windshield?
I would be more than happy to avoid a replacement - it save me time and close to 2000 rupees.
Old 16th June 2011, 16:17   #244
BHPian

Agree with khoj on both counts. Separate cloth and avoiding monsoons for windshield change.

Oily screens in monsoons are nothing new, it's all the grime and the dust coupled with smoke in the environment that ensures rain water is already mucky when it hits the car, add to it the splashes from other cars and we all know even water doesn't wash away oil from glass.

The 'circular lines' are usually from excessive wiping with dry cloth, over a period of time, which is also possible if your car is parked in a shade when being cleaned. What I have noticed is the guys who wash cars, use water for cars parked in the open since they tend to get more dirty, and use dry cloth as far as possible to clean cars which are parked in the shade.

Silly observation there, but I am finicky about cleaning and I can tell by the smell on my car if it was washed clean or just dusted.

Get Colin and clean the windshield inside and out with Colin + newspaper, regular news paper mind you, black & white print, avoid the glossy paper supplements. Comes out squeaky clean and gets rid of most lines and oil that create the blur.

You could put some Colin or a dishwasher fluid's drop (Pril) in your wiper fluid (some advise against soap solutions though, I use small shampoo sachets), clean wiper blades with a tissue paper/handkerchief dipped in vinegar, saw that on a TV program for cleaning refrigerator linings and car door linings as well as wiper blades.

The car spa guys near my place do both these jobs fabulously well.

@khoj: how come I missed meeting you at the Sunny Da Dhaba meet? Looked around for the Blue Streak too but didn't see it.

Last edited by mandheers : 16th June 2011 at 16:18.
mandheers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 17:58   #245
Senior - BHPian

^^ Windscreen circular swirls. Just a check. Did you check the inside? Did you try to clean the inside with some dry clean and dust free cloth? Once in my car I had strange circular spirals on the passenger side which would never go by cleaning outside. Then I found out, it was some inadvertent greasy palm marks by my wife. I cleaned it with the dry Yellow Cloth and it was gone. I have the Yellow cloth to clean the inside of all the windscreens and I do not use water. Outside, of course, Like Khoj I too have 3 clothes for Outside, Glasses form inside and dash board only (yellow cloth), and interior.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 19:08   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The 'circular lines' are usually from excessive wiping with dry cloth, over a period of time, which is also possible if your car is parked in a shade when being cleaned. What I have noticed is the guys who wash cars, use water for cars parked in the open since they tend to get more dirty, and use dry cloth as far as possible to clean cars which are parked in the shade.
I use the "Scotch Brite All Purpose Cleaner, Squeegee" (pic below) from 3M to remove water from the car after washing. Use it for removing water from the windshield too. I read somewhere on the web that it's better than using cloth or chamois, probably here: http://www.carbibles.com/carcare_bible.html
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-t1.jpg  

Last edited by DrunkenMonk : 16th June 2011 at 19:09.
DrunkenMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 19:37   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi g_c04,

Do you by any chance have the inside view of the door pads, as in the side which we cannot see. I want to reapply the sound proofing (namda) which was removed when my car got ICEd. I have been able to source the insulation sheet but have no idea what size to cut and where to apply.
Sorry Khoj, I dont have any picture/idea of view of the door pads, But I remember someone got his cedia iced here on team bhp, check in ICE section and there were lot of pictures of the door pads. In between, you can just ask your ICE guy to install the sound proofing for you, but I am surprised as to why he took it off in first place. Its already cut as per OE speaker design.

@Sun, I believe you try what others have suggested and also get the windscreen buffed before you change it. Normally, windscrens last for good 7-8 years even if you dont take care of it. The windscreen in my cousin's 11 year old lancer and my 11 year old 800 are due for change because of swirls and scratches, which make driving at night difficult. But a 5 year old car which was well taken care of, shouldnt need windscreen replacement.

Please note, Windscreen experts will suggest glass change, they make more profit of it.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:07   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I find it a little hard to believe that oil would remain on the screen after the amount of rain water that has hit my windshield in the last two weeks.

Do you know a place where they do a proper cleaning of the windshield?
I would be more than happy to avoid a replacement - it save me time and close to 2000 rupees.
As mandheers has posted, it is the same rain water being splashed on by passing vehicles that douses the glasses with max amount of oil+grime.

You will need to look for a professional car cleaner something like a 3M or a Car spa franchise or you could go to a shop that installs films on glass. They would do a nice job of cleaning your glass from the inside. Regardless of where you get it done do stand on their heads when the job is being carried out.

Quote:
Silly observation there, but I am finicky about cleaning and I can tell by the smell on my car if it was washed clean or just dusted.
Nothing finicky about that.

Quote:
Get Colin and clean the windshield inside and out with Colin + newspaper, regular news paper mind you, black & white print, avoid the glossy paper supplements. Comes out squeaky clean and gets rid of most lines and oil that create the blur.

You could put some Colin or a dishwasher fluid's drop (Pril) in your wiper fluid (some advise against soap solutions though, I use small shampoo sachets), clean wiper blades with a tissue paper/handkerchief dipped in vinegar, saw that on a TV program for cleaning refrigerator linings and car door linings as well as wiper blades.

The car spa guys near my place do both these jobs fabulously well.
Sorry mandheers but I am going to have to 'ask' you to not use either Colin, Pril or any house hold glass cleaner and even shampoo for that matter. All of these have hard scrubbing materials which will create microscopic scratches on automotive glass. Do remember the laminated glass on vehicles is very different from Window/Table top glass and hence needs to be handled differently.

If at all you must you can use 'Hair Conditioner' again available in sachets. this is what the film installers also use in their sprays.

The best would be of course to use automotive glass cleaner bought from Maruti or other brands like 3M, Mcguires, Mothers, Eagle1 or plain tap water.

Also newspaper does not cut it anymore for a couple of reasons. The paper is no longer the high pulp content paper but now has fillers and the edges or creases along the fold (when you crumple it up) are capable of doing some nasty damage. Second the inks that are being used these days are water based unlike the solvent based earlier (good for environment? Maybe, but certainly no good for the car's glass) . At times you may see ink streaks being left on surfaces that are being wiped.

I find toilet paper to be the best bet here. Buy the cheapest one that you can find and wrap it over your hand. Excellent stuff this, being completely chemical and additive free for obvious reasons owing to the sensitive nature of the area of actual intended usage

Quote:
@khoj: how come I missed meeting you at the Sunny Da Dhaba meet? Looked around for the Blue Streak too but didn't see it.
Hey, I saw the Red beast and was asking around as to who the owner was but no luck

You can catch me in a couple of snaps (not very flattering ones though), the first is just me looking dissheveled with a 'khoj' expression and the second has me handling my ice water, you can see 'Gostel' sitting next to me. Point out the snaps where one can see you and that would be our online meet. Not the same as meeting in person but would have to do for now. My Blue Streak is currently undergoing an ICE upgrade and is not in a condition to be driven over long distances, it should be back on the highways by this weekend.

EDIT Snaps have been 'handled'
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2393859

Last edited by khoj : 16th June 2011 at 21:26.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 00:15   #249
Senior - BHPian

I am going to show my windshield to one more person tomorrow during the night time. Let's see how it goes. A.S.S. has quoted me the same price (for insurance claim etc) for the glass.
BTW: How is Saint Gobain glass compared to Asahi?
Old 17th June 2011, 00:24   #250
Senior - BHPian

I had once seen some car detailing folks, using those ultra fine grained sandpapers dipped in some liquid stuff to clean windscreens. Is this a done thing?
Old 17th June 2011, 01:33   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to show my windshield to one more person tomorrow during the night time. Let's see how it goes. A.S.S. has quoted me the same price (for insurance claim etc) for the glass.
BTW: How is Saint Gobain glass compared to Asahi?
Asahi bought out Saint Gobain's glass business some years back or was it the other way around. Both brands are alive and kicking. Same technology and same quality provided specs are same which is where the difference will be.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:45   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If at all you must you can use 'Hair Conditioner' again available in sachets. this is what the film installers also use in their sprays.

I find toilet paper to be the best bet here. Buy the cheapest one that you can find and wrap it over your hand. Excellent stuff this, being completely chemical and additive free for obvious reasons owing to the sensitive nature of the area of actual intended usage

Hey, I saw the Red beast and was asking around as to who the owner was but no luck

My Blue Streak is currently undergoing an ICE upgrade and is not in a condition to be driven over long distances, it should be back on the highways by this weekend.

EDIT Snaps have been 'handled'
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2393859
Point taken on the 'conditioner'; will flush the curent out and replace.

Agree completely on the toilet roll, they do take extra care, some maufacturers surely.

That's me in the second last pic with RGK. You can always spot me with the grin and grey!! So HEY!!!

I was at the table with Manson, Yogi, Rehaan, Stratos, RGK, Shriivs, Ronk, Moralfibre and a few others.

Slightly OT here, but coming to ICE: this friend of mine ICEd his SX4 with almost a 2.5lac worth of 'samaan'! Heard it last night and it's all quality. Alpine HU, Illusion Carbon components and Illusion Tweeters with a fully enclosed Illusion Sub (with no port), 3 seperate amps to feed each speaker individually and some helluva wiring job.

And must say you were right earlier: it does make a difference.

Last I heard you got a set of Focal fronts and amplifier along with a subwoofer with some sound dampening. What's it you have in mind now?

Sounds like a serious ICE upgrade though!
Old 17th June 2011, 13:46   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken on the 'conditioner'; will flush the curent out and replace.
Do you know how does one flush this out?

I will check the manual to see if they describe the procedure.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:42   #254
BHPian

What do you guys use in the wiper fluid container.

I recently went on a 400 odd km drive in the car after a long time and found that the car does not easily accelerate over 110 odd. I find it getting stuck at around 140. Also I am on stock tyres and have finished about 20k kms in the last 3 1/2 years. I felt the car not too safe after 120 +....I see on the forums guys talking of speeds like 150+ on a Fiesta??

I know its not safe in India and I try to maintain 80-100 as average speed on any highway drive, but I am quite amazed by these numbers. Is my driving that bad, or am I missing something here..
Old 17th June 2011, 17:08   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know how does one flush this out?

I will check the manual to see if they describe the procedure.
Nothing in particular, just pump it dry as the wiper wipes. That should work I'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
What do you guys use in the wiper fluid container.

I recently went on a 400 odd km drive in the car after a long time and found that the car does not easily accelerate over 110 odd. I find it getting stuck at around 140. Also I am on stock tyres and have finished about 20k kms in the last 3 1/2 years. I felt the car not too safe after 120 +....I see on the forums guys talking of speeds like 150+ on a Fiesta??

I know its not safe in India and I try to maintain 80-100 as average speed on any highway drive, but I am quite amazed by these numbers. Is my driving that bad, or am I missing something here..
khoj already outlined the 'conditioner' and other relevant products.

Although speeding is not advisable, and one should adhere traffic rules, that said I did almost 180 this last weekend on the expressway, but the headlights were disappointing and it was pouring so I did not push harder. On another day I have tipped 170 with 4 on board, again on the expressway.

GC has done almost the double ton, many times over.

Do get your air filter and even spark plugs checked. Am not too technical on the intricate stuff, but surely something amiss here.

My two bits: never push for the sake of pushing, be safe, enjoy the drive. Any speed over 40 is scary enough.

Most Viewed