Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 12:07   #526
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Oh dear! With the number of visits you have made to the ASC and the problems you have faced including fuel pump failure, insufficient braking and noisy suspension, no wonder you are soo frustrated Sir.

I believe its high time you send a mail across to HM-Mitsubishi asking for urgent help. You can use their website for the same. Tell them that you need the problems to be rectified at one go or you will have to take the help of law. I believe it should help. If this doesnt help, then you might as well start posting on their FB and Twitter page.

Such dismal performance from a car which tags itself as "Driving is now pleasure" isnt acceptable. Start with asking for a new car before you end up with getting your car rectified. With pajero sport launch across the corner, last thing they want is bad publicity on public forums like Team Bhp, and their FB, and Twitter page. Update your cedia's thread and post a link of your thread in the mail you send to HM-Mitsubishi.

For someone like me, braking is the most important thing in the car. I'd be less worried if anything else is not in place, but brakes, for god sake. The brakes on my friends cedia which runs on 185/65/R15 are also good. There is no reason why it should not be good in your car..

You need to get this checked as well, as you may know, I think Bhpian CBlazer got his cedia's steering assembly changed. God, what happened to made in Japan parts..

I cant say that tire pressure can be high because I know you maintain 30 normally.

People at HM-Mitsubishi should probably shut down their business, if they dont respond even after this statement. YOU PAID 11 LAC RUPEES FOR THIS CAR, THEY HAVE TO PROVIDE PROPER AFTERSALES TO YOU.

Excellent FE that too with a clutch over 1.05 lac kms used. The FE in my cousins cedia has increased from 8-9 to 11-12kmpl after the clutch change. The FE dropped from nearly 2 points in last 4-5k kms.

For sure, its the tire pressure, keep the pressure at 32 PSI on Highways. You will feel drop in performance if you are fully loaded and running on 30 PSI.
Exactly GC, over 11 lacs for a brand new car without even thinking of it's resale, only for the driving experience.

You are bang on- 'DISMAL' is the word.

I tweeted the foll. to Mitsu India, let's see how they respond:

@MitsubishiIndia very dismal performance frm my Jan'11 Cedia. emailed many times, to no avail. need Sr. Tech contact. ZERO DRIVING PLEASURE!

@MitsubishiIndia wobbly steering, spongy brakes, noisy suspension, max 7.5kmpl, body-roll, tires lack grip and tramline.

The car is fine over smooth stretches, and glides effortlessly, but which car doesn't? I am not saying you drive a Porsche in an ice rink and say it handles poor, but there was so much yada-yada I read and heard of the Cedia being
tuned for the Indian roads and the rally pedigree, but the car feels like driving a three-wheeler or more alike driving with a flat/deflated front tire.

I will update the thread on the 15k report. It is not all bad, it is still a great car and I have much faith in it, but just the fun is not there. Could be a wrongly setup suspension, or a bad case of alignment, I am not very technical, but I want it resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@mandheer: I would suggest that you drive another Cedia on the same stretch to compare. Or if you were to visit Pune anytime soon, maybe you could drive my Cedia and show yours to the mechanics here.

To get a perspective, I was sitting in my BIL's SX4.
On the same stretch (state highway), I could see how SX4 gives a boat like feeling, whereas Cedia is well on the ground.
So, compare with another car if you can.

Noise issues can be resolved for sure - sometimes they take more time that we can anticipate.
I just completed a 2000 KM trip last week. Except for the caliper brackets making a noise on rough roads, I did not experience any other significant issue.
My gear shifter does get stuck sometimes (especially 2nd gear and that too when engine is cold), but on other occasions it is quite good.

My wife drove over a large stone in the middle of the road (around 8 inches in height) and that too at speeds of 40-50 kmph - I was scared and thought the tyres would blast or something. Thankfully nothing happened.

The max I touched was 145 kmph on the Express way - the car does make a lot of noise after 120 kmph. Earlier I thought it was because the car was not serviced for a while, but even after last servicing in Nov/ Dec, the results are pretty much the same.

I remember Khoj doing 165 kmph on the NE1 express way. We did not cross 140 kmph on that stretch - maybe next time.

Road quality of NE1 is a lot better than the Mum-Pune Express way.

The best average I got was 16.2 kmpl and the worst was 12.5 kmpl. The car was loaded with luggage all through out and the use of AC was around 75%.
Most of this was on the highway with few jams due to accidents and idling at stand-still.

I noticed a drop in performance when I had two passengers sitting behind (compared to just the two of us in the front). So, just about 100 kgs of additional weight made a huge difference. Or perhaps the tyre pressure (which was a tad below 30 psi in my gauge).
Then on the return journey, I put in 32 psi (but since the rear passengers were not there), I could not compare the results.

AFAI recollect, at 120 kmph, the engine is at 2900 rpm. It goes above 3000 rpm after that and makes a lot of noise in the cabin. But that noise is nothing compared to the noise that I can hear if I just roll down the windows at that speed.
Hey S_U_N, I really appreciate your gesture man! Would take it up if I drive down to Pune sometime.

As I said above, mine just has a 'vague' steering problem, could be suspension/alignment. But your car should well go over 140 and without a flinch.

Do get it looked up, mine easily lurches forward to 180, it is just after 180 that it needs a bigger stretch to cross that figure.

Haven't checked FE on highway runs, only city, and what you are getting is really commendable.

Don't remember correctly but is your air duct open or shut? The HM guys had reversed mine which I got put back to the one that came OEM.

I could only touch 160 at about 3500rpm with the closed duct., and it was very labored.

As for the gear shifter getting stuck at 2nd, I used to face the same issue, but only when going from 1st to 2nd, not on 3rd to 2nd. (or maybe vice versa, been sometime so can't be sure, will check again)

Do check if you have the same issue, and what resolved it for me was to nudge the gear out of the previous gear, bring the gear to neutral and engage 2nd as a fresh gear, not in the same motion down from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to second.

That made the thing fine, but that was early on, and both 2nd and reverse used to get stuck a bit, both resolved.

For a better top speed, try working the gears better. Push hard in 2nd, and harder in 3rd. Once you slide into 5th there is little you can gain in terms of speed.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 15:28   #527
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
@MitsubishiIndia very dismal performance frm my Jan'11 Cedia. emailed many times, to no avail. need Sr. Tech contact. ZERO DRIVING PLEASURE!

@MitsubishiIndia wobbly steering, spongy brakes, noisy suspension, max 7.5kmpl, body-roll, tires lack grip and tramline.
Hope something good comes out of it soon.

Quote:
As I said above, mine just has a 'vague' steering problem, could be suspension/alignment. But your car should well go over 140 and without a flinch.

Do get it looked up, mine easily lurches forward to 180, it is just after 180 that it needs a bigger stretch to cross that figure.

Haven't checked FE on highway runs, only city, and what you are getting is really commendable.
Well, I must say, that I keep FE in mind while driving - minimal breaking, early upshifts and slow acceleration. That surely helps the FE.
Quote:
Don't remember correctly but is your air duct open or shut? The HM guys had reversed mine which I got put back to the one that came OEM.

I could only touch 160 at about 3500rpm with the closed duct., and it was very labored.
I think I remember reading about this earlier. But I don't know if this is closed or open duct.
All I know is while crossing Ankleshwar, there was very less smell filtering into the cabin - so I assume it is closed duct.
Quote:
As for the gear shifter getting stuck at 2nd, I used to face the same issue, but only when going from 1st to 2nd, not on 3rd to 2nd. (or maybe vice versa, been sometime so can't be sure, will check again)

Do check if you have the same issue, and what resolved it for me was to nudge the gear out of the previous gear, bring the gear to neutral and engage 2nd as a fresh gear, not in the same motion down from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to second.
I do the same since there is no other way for me to engage 2nd gear - the problem is more while downshifting for me. I have to slow down below 20 kmph speeds, else 2nd refuses to get slotted in.

Quote:

For a better top speed, try working the gears better. Push hard in 2nd, and harder in 3rd. Once you slide into 5th there is little you can gain in terms of speed.
I generally shift to 5th at 60-70. I was able to go on till 140-145 in the same gear.
To be honest I have not put in a conscious effort to go beyond that speed.
I kept my foot pressed on the A pedal, with a little more pressure than what I normally put, but not so much as to touch the metal/ ground. Maybe more pressure is required there?
What is the RPM at 160? 180?

Edit: On another note, we have discussed the importance of tire pressure. But what I find is that the pressure gauges are not accurate in most places.
I have two pressure gauges now -both from COIDO - and the readings are different. I have tested and compared these reading with those from tire shops and road side tire wallas. All of them show different readings -sometimes differences are 10-15 psi.
So,
@mandheers: Are you really having 30 psi in your tires? (measured in cold condition).

Last edited by S_U_N : 27th January 2012 at 15:33.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:12   #528
BHPian

@ Mandheers,
If I may, Get your car down to Pune and get it checked from J.Williams & Co. once.They are the Authorized Dealers For Mitsu in Pune and I have had extremely good experience with them for the past 11 years since I bought my Lancer in 99.
The service guys are good,the main guy,Mr.Sachin Raut has been working there ever since I took delivery of my car.Very helpful lot.
I am sure they will be able to sort out the issues for you. Metro Motors in Mumbai managed to screw up my Lancer back in the day when I happened to be in Mumbai and wanted to get 1000 Kms service done.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:27   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Hope something good comes out of it soon.

Well, I must say, that I keep FE in mind while driving - minimal breaking, early upshifts and slow acceleration. That surely helps the FE.

I think I remember reading about this earlier. But I don't know if this is closed or open duct.
All I know is while crossing Ankleshwar, there was very less smell filtering into the cabin - so I assume it is closed duct.

I do the same since there is no other way for me to engage 2nd gear - the problem is more while downshifting for me. I have to slow down below 20 kmph speeds, else 2nd refuses to get slotted in.

I generally shift to 5th at 60-70. I was able to go on till 140-145 in the same gear.
To be honest I have not put in a conscious effort to go beyond that speed.
I kept my foot pressed on the A pedal, with a little more pressure than what I normally put, but not so much as to touch the metal/ ground. Maybe more pressure is required there?
What is the RPM at 160? 180?

Edit: On another note, we have discussed the importance of tire pressure. But what I find is that the pressure gauges are not accurate in most places.
I have two pressure gauges now -both from COIDO - and the readings are different. I have tested and compared these reading with those from tire shops and road side tire wallas. All of them show different readings -sometimes differences are 10-15 psi.
So,
@mandheers: Are you really having 30 psi in your tires? (measured in cold condition).
Here's a link to the air intake: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1514158

The pic above is how the air intake should be, the pic below is what HM does at 1000km service, with intake happening from the underbody of the duct.

I maintain a cold tire pressure of 30psi, cannot say much about the BP fuel station where I get air from, what do you suggest?

The bunk is about 2kms from my place, and that's all the driving I do to get there.

Also, I mentioned 3500rpm for 160, and that was with the closed duct, very labored.

On another occasion I have tipped a comfortable 185kmph but eased off owing to rain and it being very late night. Visibility issues on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in monsoons. Might have been around 3500 rpm again, don't remember exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
@ Mandheers,
If I may, Get your car down to Pune and get it checked from J.Williams & Co. once.They are the Authorized Dealers For Mitsu in Pune and I have had extremely good experience with them for the past 11 years since I bought my Lancer in 99.
The service guys are good,the main guy,Mr.Sachin Raut has been working there ever since I took delivery of my car.Very helpful lot.
I am sure they will be able to sort out the issues for you. Metro Motors in Mumbai managed to screw up my Lancer back in the day when I happened to be in Mumbai and wanted to get 1000 Kms service done.
Thanks Amey, I wouldn't mind that at all. Will see what is the response here, or else J Williams it is.

Pune workshops have a certain attention to detail in their workforce, which I have witnessed during my college days and tryst with the Royal Enfield. Mumbai is always a hurried attempt to brush things under the carpet.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:47   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post

Thanks Amey, I wouldn't mind that at all. Will see what is the response here, or else J Williams it is.

Pune workshops have a certain attention to detail in their workforce, which I have witnessed during my college days and tryst with the Royal Enfield. Mumbai is always a hurried attempt to brush things under the carpet.
If at all you need to get the car here and if needed, I can talk to Sachin, I know him personally.Let me know if you need any help.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:28   #531
BHPian

Have written to HM, as follows:

"I am very disappointed with overall drive quality and disillusioned with the vehicle's performance considering it is only 1 year since purchase.
I will start with the teething issues I saw through my year’s ownership, since I purchased in Jan ’11. (also refer entire trail mail)

1. Brakes have always been a concern area for me, and I find they are spongy, ineffective at times and require a pumping action to bring car to halt. (specially at low speeds)

2. Engine returns a slight mechanical shudder and whirring sound sometimes, when stationary in traffic, and the RPM meter dips and comes back again after a choking-whirring sound from engine, happened about 5 number times in the entire 15,000 period, and somehow happens every few thousand kms. The car has shut down a few times when this has happened.

3. Rattling/Knocking sounds from all four wheels/suspension, specially loud from rear wheels when they go over short bumps or slight uneven roads (rear left tire goes harder and stiffer over bumps as compared to rear right) This was a very persistent issue, and was finally resolved. There was a loose link which the service guys at Aquest found, maybe the 4th time the car went back for the same issue. The front suspension is still noisy and makes a 'kirrk' sound as it slowly goes over a speed breaker. When going through an uneven patch the rear left stays very hard and lands in anything with a ‘thud’, as if the tire is jammed and has only dropped and not rolled into a hole/depression in the road. The usual behavior is for tires to roll in and the car's suspension to bounce. But on mine the left goes in with a thud, and then comes out, the right rear takes the road better.

4. The car's average is abysmally low at only 7-7.5 kmpl in city driving with 100% AC. I rarely go over 2000 RPM and thought this might resolve, but hasn't.

5. The steering feedback has increased, and every little bump or slight pebble on the road is felt as a jerk on the steering. The steering goes all over the place when going over slight uneven roads and becomes very unstable. Tires tramline heavily and mostly happens on the most crucial moments, like if I am overtaking etc. and the steering starts going all over the place and wobbly. The steering is also now quite vague, like driving with an almost flat tire or better still a three-wheeler. (the kind of continual correction one has to provide) One small pebble on the road and the MOMO goes wobbly.

There is also the two issues probably connected to what I spoke of earlier, body-roll on shallow turns and the right tire pulling right when I push hard or accelerate from a stand-still. Steering goes wobbly and madly to the right at times.
Very unhappy with the way a brand new car is turning out, and I feel I made a mistake spending 11.7 lacs on a Mitsubishi car with no re-sale value either.
I had only bought this car for the promise of driving pleasure, which is now sadly ZERO.
Sadly, I am deterred from suggesting/recommending a Mitsubishi to anyone now.
See what you can do about it or else if these issues continue to upset me then I will be forced to take legal action."

Got a call from the Mumbai region HM rep, Vijay Mahantesh, let's see what happens.

The Cedia Sports now sells at 7.99 lacs ex-showroom in Mumbai now.
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:09   #532
Senior - BHPian

I just checked on the open/ closed duct. It is open.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:52   #533
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts, but I am trying to select the correct equivalent model (closest match) for our Indian Cedia from the options available on amazon.com
I have selected Lancer --> ES --> 2.0L L4 Gas SOHC Distributorless Naturally Aspirated MPI Electronic FI MPFI --> Power Front Disc and Read Drum, 4 Wheel ABS.
Is that correct?

(I am in the brakes section of the parts finder.)
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:21   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have selected Lancer --> ES --> 2.0L L4 Gas SOHC Distributorless Naturally Aspirated MPI Electronic FI MPFI --> Power Front Disc and Read Drum, 4 Wheel ABS.
ya should be this one unless there is another nearby option in the list. Are you looking for the same Caliper bracket..?

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ishi&md=Lancer

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd February 2012 at 14:23.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:23   #535
Senior - BHPian

^Yes. I was searching for caliper bracket.
I have seen the site (your link) a few times earlier.
Combined with the deposit amount, the total amount is pretty high.
Most of the results on that page have the calipers (which I don't need).
I did not find any results with the individual bracket/ carrier (refer to the picture that I had posted here).

Last edited by S_U_N : 3rd February 2012 at 15:25.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:11   #536
BHPian

Hi guys, I have finally updated my thread, so do drop by and look it up. Your inputs are most welcome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2668926

Old 13th February 2012, 18:33   #537
Senior - BHPian

@g_c

I have decided to go to Asian for the Blue Streak's fourth/2 years service. Let me know the names of a your trusted technicians there so that I can ensure I get the right person for the job at hand. Planning to go there on the coming Sunday.
Old 13th February 2012, 18:51   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@g_c

I have decided to go to Asian for the Blue Streak's fourth/2 years service. Let me know the names of a your trusted technicians there so that I can ensure I get the right person for the job at hand. Planning to go there on the coming Sunday.
Sure Sir. The service advisers are Vishal and Tyagi. Both are helpful but I prefer dealing with Vishal. The service guy who takes care of all the jobs to be carried out is Sanjay, excellent guy. The technitian I prefer to get the car serviced from is Ashu, again a nice guy.

Say no to ALL additives including bardahl flush and injector cleaner.. You may get your own synthetic oil and can try if they entertain your request. You can say that Gaurav does the same for his car. They as usual have the age old Motul..

Try to avoid any conversation with Works manager Bhushan, you might just beat him once the conversation is over..

I was about to ask you for a little help soon and since you will be coming to Asian this sunday (or even any other day), can I take a small drive of your car to see if Yoko v550s may suit my driving style as I plan to get a new set sometime next month.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th February 2012 at 18:55.
Old 13th February 2012, 21:17   #539
Senior - BHPian

@g_c

Thank you for the information. It will be a pleasure to meet up with you & we can surely drive each others steeds to gauge the differences on parameters of individual interest. Let me set up the appointment with Asian and then we will tie up things at our ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I was about to ask you for a little help soon and since you will be coming to Asian this sunday (or even any other day), can I take a small drive of your car to see if Yoko v550s may suit my driving style as I plan to get a new set sometime next month.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:05   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It will be a pleasure to meet up with you & we can surely drive each others steeds to gauge the differences on parameters of individual interest. Let me set up the appointment with Asian and then we will tie up things at our ends.
Sure Sir, I will be glad. Let me know once you set the appointment with Asian. Since its a 2 year service, I believe all consumables will changed and it will take longer than routine service. So, I believe make an appointment for early morning around 10 ish. Sometimes the ASC gets full by 11 and sometimes they have no business all day long and this goes for any day of the week. So, we cant predict..

Gimmi a call or PM me, so we will further arrange to meet.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks