Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2013, 19:00   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

The drainage pipe sits in the foot well and the gearbox/handbrake console ahs to be removed to access the same (atleast that is what the ASC did in my case).

Anyhow I have used Wurth and all that you need to do is insert the thin tube that comes with the can through the aircon vent in the dashboard and release the contents of the can as per the directions. The cleaning agent/foam will carry the dirt etc out via the drain pipe and not the other way round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Can someone pls help me wih the exact loaction of AC drain pipe in Cedia? I'm trying to find out but unable to locate, I wanted to use AC disinfect from Wurth which states that pout the can from the ac drainage pipe.
Old 28th January 2013, 22:48   #722
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Guys my Cedia's battery has gone kaput and I have to get a new one. The thing is that I want to put in a 45Ah battery instead of the stock 35Ah, however I have no idea regarding the charging capacity of the OE alternator and am not sure whether it will put out the 3.5Amps that the 45 Ah battery needs. The stock battery needs a charging current of 2.5Amps. If any one has any information do share.

Considered the usual culprits in the form of Amaron Flo & Exide Matrix and some not so ususal ones like the Inphynyt, AC Delco & Globatt(have used this one earlier) and decided to go with Bosch Mega Power Silver battery i.e if I stick with the stock rating. It is being offered @3200 against old battery and is covered by 2 years of replacement guarantee and another 2 years of warranty replacement on pro rata basis.
Old 29th January 2013, 02:52   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Guys my Cedia's battery has gone kaput and I have to get a new one. The thing is that I want to put in a 45Ah battery instead of the stock 35Ah, however I have no idea regarding the charging capacity of the OE alternator and am not sure whether it will put out the 3.5Amps that the 45 Ah battery needs. The stock battery needs a charging current of 2.5Amps. If any one has any information do share.

Considered the usual culprits in the form of Amaron Flo & Exide Matrix and some not so ususal ones like the Inphynyt, AC Delco & Globatt(have used this one earlier) and decided to go with Bosch Mega Power Silver battery i.e if I stick with the stock rating. It is being offered @3200 against old battery and is covered by 2 years of replacement guarantee and another 2 years of warranty replacement on pro rata basis.
Why not just get a normal bosch 35Ah battery, it should cost you around Rs.1800. It comes with a 1 year guarantee. Even if it lasts 1+1 years, it should not be a problem. I believe you know that most companies change batteries that are under warranty on the MRP, which is atrocious. I believe the MRP of the battery you are considering should be around 4.5kish or more..
Old 29th January 2013, 13:47   #724
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gaurav, what you are saying is correct but I am going to go with the Silver. See the thing is that I have to take in to the consideration two factors besides the usual load of the car's electric system and these are

1. The additional load of the two amplifiers and

2. The fact that at times I do not start the car for weeks together, when I am in the city driving around in the Swift. So need a battery that has the capability to hold charge longer. Here the electrolytes in paste form are decidedly superior to those in liquid state.

In the two odd years that I have had the Blue Streak, I have run through two normal batteries. First the one that came with the car and gave up (thankfully) a few months short of the first year and the second one (which was a free replacement) that has given up now. To be honest, I am sure that if I were to keep an eye on the water level and religiously top up the same I could have extracted more life out of these batteries. However, the point here is as to why should I have to spend my time on such mundane stuff when there are a hundred other things to do and especially now when the technology which frees me up from that exists and is affordable. So why should I not have it under the bonnet of my ride(s)?

The MF design has a proven track record (Amaron, AC Delco & Globatt in my own cars) and more so the Silver in particular in a couple of my friend's cars who have similar loads and duty cycles. As for the cost, the Silver is priced @ 3640/- and after exchange of old battery and doorstep service against cheque payment is 3050/- Price is similar to Amaron Flo @3100, the most expensive being the Exide Matrix at close to 5K.

I also had to drop the idea of going in for the 45 Ah battery as no info was forthcoming on the charging current that the alternator would be able to give out and also for the fact that the larger battery would have been a tight fit.

Last but not the least the Silver casing looks good in the blue engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Why not just get a normal bosch 35Ah battery, it should cost you around Rs.1800.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09   #725
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav, it seems someone up there heard you and my plans to buy the Bosch Silver came to a naught. Same old story vendor did not turn up on the first day and on the second came home instead of going to the Excel workshop as had been agreed and committed upon. Absolutely refused to go to Badarpur even though I offered to send him with my driver in my vehicle. That was the end of BS.

Went to the AC Delco website, as I had liked the looks of the battery and have used this make earlier in my OHC type1. Found a dealer in Munirka, very proactive guy. Got a SMF INA40ZL for Rs. 2460/- has 18+18 months guarantee & waranty. All in all had a satisfactory purchase experience and found a good source for future automotive battery requirements.

http://www.acdelco-india.com/sealed-...nance-free-smf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Why not just get a normal bosch 35Ah battery, it should cost you around Rs.1800.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:05   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a SMF INA40ZL for Rs. 2460/- has 18+18 months guarantee & waranty. All in all had a satisfactory purchase experience and found a good source for future automotive battery requirements.

http://www.acdelco-india.com/sealed-...nance-free-smf
Delhi is indeed a cheap city to live in, be it for buying a TV or a battery.
Did you get any money for returning the old battery?
I remember paying around 4K for an Exide battery in May 2011 when I bought the car. I have seen white chemical deposit around the battery.
Is the battery going to die soon?
Old 4th February 2013, 00:53   #727
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so, during my recent stay in your city I was paying 4K for a single room at the ABMH and similar setups in Dilli charge 10K for the same, so it depends.

Exide as it is is expensive. What with factories in Chinchwad, Ahmednagar (of course they are in other locations too) all in MH, with it's high taxes and Octroi and what not. It is only in the recent past that they opened a unit in Bawal near Dilli but then I think is more to cater to all the automotive OEMs.

The price is with exchange of old battery, roughly 400/- bucks.

The white is salt deposit a result of the ongoing chemical reaction. Just clean up the terminals using sand paper and then smear vaseline jelly on the battery post. That will keep the white from reappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Delhi is indeed a cheap city to live in, be it for buying a TV or a battery.
Did you get any money for returning the old battery?
I remember paying around 4K for an Exide battery in May 2011 when I bought the car. I have seen white chemical deposit around the battery.
Is the battery going to die soon?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:45   #728
BHPian

Even I am planning to upgrade to a 45AMP Batt as I would soon be adding second Amp for the Sub woofer (Genesis Profile). Do I really need alternator change ? All I can understand is that the bigger battery would take longer to charge. Or am I wrong ??

I also got my Fuel Pump replaced by SVR motors for free. I went for a regular checkup late evening before leaving for Coorg for Storm Fest. The fenders were little loose and oil was little low. The supervisor offered me quick pump change which I obliged as my next service is 2K away. I was skeptical for the pump not performing on the journey (my return journey was to be all-night). But thankfully it worked well. The supervisor told me the the original pump was designed for colder temperature of Japan and does not perform well in Indian condition. The only thing I notice is that probably I got a bad FE of 12KMPL instead of usual 14 on highway . Am I skeptical ? as half of the driving was done by another friend who is not clean with driving.

Last edited by ujjwaana : 4th February 2013 at 12:59.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:00   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so, during my recent stay in your city I was paying 4K for a single room at the ABMH and similar setups in Dilli charge 10K for the same, so it depends.
I should have mentioned "barring real estate".
Food, transport and all items of daily needs, taxes and perhaps everything else will be cheaper in Delhi.

Quote:

The white is salt deposit a result of the ongoing chemical reaction. Just clean up the terminals using sand paper and then smear vaseline jelly on the battery post. That will keep the white from reappearing
[/quote]
Somehow there is nothing on the terminals. I can see the salt at the bottom of the battery - perhaps it has fallen off.
My car does not run much for most of the month - sometimes I start it once in a month.
And when it runs, it does 1000+ KM in a week on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjwaana View Post

I also got my Fuel Pump replaced by SVR motors for free. he only thing I notice is that probably I got a bad FE of 12KMPL instead of usual 14 on highway . Am I skeptical ? as half of the driving was done by another friend who is not clean with driving.
I got the fuel pump replaced last month and had a long trip (1800 KM).
The mileage I have got is better than the last time we went on the highway.

14.27 kmpl
This one was for the journey between Manor and Ambaji.
It included the journey on NE-1 with the highest speeds that I have clocked.

13.04 kmpl
This one was for the journey between Ambaji and Baroda. It included driving on State Highways, stopping at various points to ask for directions, some idling and then Baroda city driving for 2-3 days.

15.33 kmpl
That last from Baroda to Pune Expressway HP Petrol bunk. It included consistent 100+ speeds and much higher as well.

All driving was with AC on 75% with 2 adults and a kid. The boot was full except during city runs when there were 4 adults on board.

In other words, if I drive this car at 60-70, I will surely get 17 kmpl with 2 adults, 1 kid and a full boot.
Old 4th February 2013, 16:57   #730
Senior - BHPian

Lift the battery and clean the tray thoroughly, otherwise it will rust out.

Are you sure about those milage figures. These are potent enough to give the big bosses at Suzuki, Tata & Maruti massive heart attacks.

Quote:
Somehow there is nothing on the terminals. I can see the salt at the bottom of the battery - perhaps it has fallen off.

I got the fuel pump replaced last month and had a long trip (1800 KM).
The mileage I have got is better than the last time we went on the highway.

14.27 kmpl
This one was for the journey between Manor and Ambaji.
It included the journey on NE-1 with the highest speeds that I have clocked.

13.04 kmpl
This one was for the journey between Ambaji and Baroda. It included driving on State Highways, stopping at various points to ask for directions, some idling and then Baroda city driving for 2-3 days.

15.33 kmpl
That last from Baroda to Pune Expressway HP Petrol bunk. It included consistent 100+ speeds and much higher as well.

All driving was with AC on 75% with 2 adults and a kid. The boot was full except during city runs when there were 4 adults on board.

In other words, if I drive this car at 60-70, I will surely get 17 kmpl with 2 adults, 1 kid and a full boot.
Old 4th February 2013, 18:06   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lift the battery and clean the tray thoroughly, otherwise it will rust out.

Are you sure about those milage figures. These are potent enough to give the big bosses at Suzuki, Tata & Maruti massive heart attacks.
Tank-full-to-tank-full method used.

They may not be accurate to the last decimal, but still fairly accurate.
I would say, the new fuel pump and the recent servicing has done its part.
I have to check the air filter's health though since I have driven the car in horrible conditions in October.
Why is it not replaced during regular servicing?
Old 4th February 2013, 18:12   #732
Senior - BHPian

Did not get this bit

Quote:
Old 4th February 2013, 18:25   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not get this bit
I was referring to the air-filter. Mandheer mentioned in his thread that he replaces the air-filter every 10K kms.

Why is it not replaced by default along with the oil filter for example every 6 months?
Old 10th February 2013, 18:12   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Gaurav, it seems someone up there heard you and my plans to buy the Bosch Silver came to a naught.
Ahh..its good that you didnt shell that kinda money on battery, when you can get a 1 year guarantee battery for around Rs.1800/- .

Quote:
Found a dealer in Munirka, very proactive guy. Got a SMF INA40ZL for Rs. 2460/- has 18+18 months guarantee & waranty.
Are you talking about the shops on the corner at munirka under the outer ring road flyover, when you turn towards ambience mall on nelson mandela marg. There is a battery shop named asija motors, we know them well. Did you by any chance got the battery from them.

Quote:
it sure will. Although I have managed to get 15 once with a lot of deliberation, anything over 13 is very very difficult even on normal highways.

Quote:
I have to check the air filter's health though since I have driven the car in horrible conditions in October.
the ASC goes according to service interval, which is 20k kms or one year. they normally clean the air filter if it was replaced on previous service 10k kms back.
Old 10th February 2013, 23:04   #735
Senior - BHPian

With Genesis profile your setup is SQ oriented rather than SPL (assuming your other amp to be in the same or better league) in all fairness the existing alternator battery combination is good enough. Do ensure good grounding and you will be good to go.

I had a 1100W rated Audison 4.1 LRx in the Cedia and never felt the need for an upgrade. It is only now that I have exchanged the LRx with a RF1000 bdCP and bought a Genesis Series III Special Edition to power the fronts, that I thought of getting a bigger battery. However a quick calculation told me that I was worried unnecessarily as my amps combined would run easily on the existing setup, especially as the front components (Focal K2) & the sub (12.IDQ v3 D4) are being run at 4Ohm impedance which results in a lower current draw compared to woofers running on 2 Ohms set up.

That being said if I could have obtained information on the alternators charging current output, I would surely have gone for a bigger battery provided of course the tray could accommodate it.

BTW if you do not mind sharing, what is your other amp and which components and subs are your amps powering up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjwaana View Post
Even I am planning to upgrade to a 45AMP Batt as I would soon be adding second Amp for the Sub woofer (Genesis Profile). Do I really need alternator change ? All I can understand is that the bigger battery would take longer to charge. Or am I wrong ??

Last edited by khoj : 10th February 2013 at 23:06.

Most Viewed