Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 22:51   #901
BHPian

Guys another help my ecu was reset when the battery got disconnected. How to get it back to the old settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 20th May 2014, 00:17   #902
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Guys another help my ecu was reset when the battery got disconnected. How to get it back to the old settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

What exactly do you mean by reset and older settings?

I often disconnect the battery while doing some small DIY jobs in the engine bay. I didn't notice any older settings or problems with my ecu getting reset.

The only thing I noticed was that my clock went back to default time and my radio lost all of its tuned stations.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:58   #903
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Hello guys

I'm bidding a farewell to my reliable workhorse 2001 Esteem and have got a 2008 Cedia into the Garage. It is a Cedia Select LPG from Sep 2008. Am in the process of fixing some important stuff -

> Had only one key that too with a broken ring.
-- Pride Mitsubishi (now the only Mitsubishi showroom / workshop in AP) told that I can get a blank key with remote, same as the key I have for a princely price of Rs 10,100. They'll set the remote to this car and I have to get the key cut from outside. While I know the importance and convenience of having a second original key with remote, 10K was out of bounds.
-- Went to Royal Keys, Madhapur (one block away from their showroom, opposite Delhiwala Sweets & Keshavareddy Sweets) and got a spare key made for Rs 250. works very well.
-- BTW, the Cedia's sold towards end of 2008 onwards have an immobilizer. The keys guy told me that they can do keys for immobilizer systems also. For a sample, they said a Immobilizer based key for a Wagon R would cost Rs 1500.
-- Ordered a blank key with remote shell from dx.com (http://www.dx.com/p/029435-replaceme...0#.U33IwigVfkw) for Rs 300.
--- BTW, does anyone know if I can reprogram a remote from another Cedia's key to my Car? I know some models allow this but wanted to check if anyone knows of this for Cedia's remote... some junk yards in the UK sell Lancer's keys and I can get them here through colleagues in a month or two.

> The clutch is a little heavy.
-- It could be an indication to wearing clutch set. However, it has been at least 4-5 years since I drove another Cedia. Have kept this in suspense list for now.

> Looking for a User Manual & if possible Service Manual. Please help me with either a link to softcopy or how I can source one hard copy.

> Tyres have very little life in them. While I thought there still a month or two before I can replace them, the front off side tyre is not holding the tyre pressure. Fixed a possible puncture but it did no good. Spare is even worse.
-- Will be getting on new shoes this weekend. Going for Goodyear Assurance set of 4 for a lot better price than the Yoko's/Hankook's/Mich's. Reviews on Team BHP were good except for stating more road noise than the others. However, they should be far better than the Potenza's it now has and other OEM tyres.

> There are some sharp metallic sounds when the car goes on road undulations / uneven roads.
-- It definitely was not suspension - I was telling myself. When check at the service center, I was told that it is the brake calipers pins (just like how some of you have explained earlier in this thread). Was given a quote for approx 2K for all 4 pins. Gotta fix the issue as almost everything else (apart from shifting to 2nd gear) is good about the car and we get these noises at minor undulations.

> LPG kit not working.
-- when I switch to the LPG mode, it starts giving beeps, the LPG indicator light changes from steady orange to flashing red.
-- Visited the Pride workshop. They outright said they cannot do anything and that they never had the software to check the BRC ECU. It seems earlier they used to call upon BRC dealer from Begumpet who'd come in and check but now that BRC is closed in AP, they have no one to look at the issue.
-- Further more, they said that their company car too had the same issue and a few more customers came with the same problem.
-- Upon a lengthy discussion the workshop supervisor recollected that one customer reported that he got the problem fixed in Kothapet - there's a garage at the end of road that has a temple arch on the main road after Kothapet fruit market.
-- I went in to Kothapet, searched a few colonies and with the help of local car garages, found the SS Autogas workshop right beside Maisamma Temple in the lane beside Ozone Hospital - almost opposite to White House function hall.
-- When I went there, these guys denied any serviceability for gas kit in Cedia as they don't deal in BRC and even if they want to, this kit's software is not available.
-- I requested them to check the regular stuff that is common to all kits. They did check the LPG fuel filter, the lines and connections. Then they called the BRC office in Bangalore to tell the whole situation. Those guys promptly told the garage to pull out the old model BRC ECU cable that they should have - that works for Cedia. Once confirmed, they said they'll send them the software for Cedia so that the issue with my car can be diagnosed.
-- I got a call today to confirm that the garage got the software and I can get the car any time. Since the workshop is too far away for me (I am on the other side of the city at Miyapur), I told them that I will visit tomorrow or the day after and would call them before starting.
-- They also mentioned that the problem can be fixed now mostly and without much expense as the software can identify where it is wrong and if any spares are needed, they can be bought from BRC in 4-5 days time. As such, it could be some blockage or sensors and should not be the tank or ECU that cost more.
-- Fingers crossed and awaiting.

---

By the way, the car has returned a very respectable about 11 KMPL in only city driving with AC always on, bad tyres. I was stuck in very bad traffic jams during this time.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:01   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
What exactly do you mean by reset and older settings?

I often disconnect the battery while doing some small DIY jobs in the engine bay. I didn't notice any older settings or problems with my ecu getting reset.

The only thing I noticed was that my clock went back to default time and my radio lost all of its tuned stations.
+1 to Captain Slow
Indeed, an ECU is ROM, not RAM to get erased when the power supply to it is cut off. I have disconnected the batteries to so many cars and bikes (with ECU) and that doesn't make any difference to the ECU - it doesn't loose its settings.

Please check again. What settings are/were reset?
Old 27th May 2014, 17:59   #905
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I hope all of you and your rides are doing great. First of all, apologies for not posting here for a long time and Thank you for not letting this thread lie dormant. There have been quite a few developments and I have just been lazy (and a little busy) to update them ever since I came back to India in March this year.

Update Cedia: In December 2013, I was not in country and I was reported that the car is consuming too much oil (nearly 3 L of synthetic oil galloped within a day of top up). I asked my brother to show it to Raju (my Mechanic). My brother, who was keeping busy, those days to meet project deadline, showed the car to Raju in a hurry. Raju asked my brother to leave the car but my brother had to reach somewhere, and he didn’t leave the car asking Raju to top up oil. Raju checked the spark plugs, exhaust (for white smoke) and coolant but all seemed to be fine. So he asked my brother to either leave the car or bring it tomorrow as there was a huge possibility of leak somewhere (most probably a seal or pipe around the oil pump). He topped up nearly 2.5 L of oil (which was drained from old city that came from service.) My brother drove nearly 3 kms before the oil light came again. He parked the car in patel nagar at his friend’s place and took the metro.

I was too busy with my exams to keep track of development. Last thing I wanted at that time was stress or distraction.

My uncle (with whom my brother works) asked my brother to leave the car at my uncle’s brother in law’s work shop at civil lines for repairs. The car remained in workshop for all of January and reportedly had an engine overhaul. The clutch was also changed as it had nearly 1.17 lac kms on it. Total Damage: 48k.

I am not even sure what happened but I have been told that the oil pump was the culprit and crank bearings had given up along with piston rings. Do I believe it: NO. Especially after what Raju said. The spark plugs didn’t have oil, there was no white smoke and the coolant didn’t have oil in it. I am pretty sure that there was a seal or pipe somewhere that needed to be addressed.

Moreover, I had an engine vibration problem a month after repairs and I called my uncle’s brother in law, but he kept asking me to come in few days. Finally I went to Raju and he checked the car. Raju said that the car didn’t have an engine issue for sure. To check the vibration, he started by cleaning the Air mass sensor. No improvements. He cleaned the throttle body (which was as black as it could get, should have been cleaned during engine overhaul, if done), No improvements. We were about to get an ECU scan test but I suddenly touched the 2 small pipes that go from throttle body to EGR valve. Bingo. We had identified the problem. The EGR valve had carbon blocking it. We cleaned it and the problem was gone.

The rear shocks were also replaced at the same time (KYB shocks, but again I doubt this time that they were refurbished and not new. They came in a proper packing though. Not sure again). The only thing that needs replacement in another 5k or so is the front suspension arms (they now have nearly 48k on them and are kinda on their way - slight movement).

Total damage was: Rs. 1500 for labour (Air mass sensor, throttle body, EGR Valve cleaning and installing the rear shocks). Cost of shocks Rs. 3400/-.

Right now, the car drives like an almost new car, especially after clutch replacement. Replace the Arms, and it’s as good as new, mechanically.

The next service is going to be a major service of 1.2 lac kms (car currently has 1.21 lac kms on clock and will be serviced at 1.25 lac kms). The car is currently returning a poor FE of 9-10 even with light foot. Heavy foot doesn’t make much of difference until its pedal to metal (in which case it goes as low as 6 kmpl). There is a need to get the injectors cleaned and spark plugs changed (which were last changed around 75k kms).

Also, I had stayed at a cousin’s place in rosewood city in gurgaon (the society is still in its initial development stages). At night, someone broke the rear left passenger door glass and stole my ray ban sun glasses. Damage: 7k for the sun glasses and 2600 for rear door glass (I just checked at one place near my place, got the glass, so didn’t bother to look for any other option for better price. This is a Taiwanese glass, and not the OE – Asahi glass).

Other developments: I have started working in Gurgaon and the daily run has gone up to nearly 100 kms per day. The run will further increase with our new venture (Wealth Management). So, estimated 3500- 4000 kms run per month at 10 kmpl would mean nearly 26k-30k worth of fuel plus high maintenance costs. Moreover, the piece of junk, Polo, has been very irritating while driving. The car changes colours every 500kms to 1k kms. We were contemplating on selling it. The initial idea was to sell polo and get a swift diesel or an i10 grand diesel. But I was like no way 6-7 lac for a hatch. What 6 lac gets you is a New shape Honda Accord. Install CNG (if the running is as high as mine) and you are good to go.

So, I was like, I have 1.5 lac for the car. Let me see. I don’t want an EMI, at least not right now. Contemplating on buying a Ninja 300 or a HD street 750 with brother in law this year end or next year starting. So, the search started for swift petrol to install cng and drive. But no decent swift was available for 1.5 lac rupees. Next, search started for optra, accent and baleno. What struck me was the price of baleno – a 2006 decent (at least mechanically) model available for around 1 lac. The same year swift costs anything upwards of 1.6 lacs. So, I decided on Baleno (Also because of the MS tag and parts being easily available and yes last I drove a baleno was in year 2002, a brand new car and I was blown away). Saw a few cars and liked 2 of them. One was in pristine condition without CNG but asking was 1.5. I was like no way. Saw the second one, Petrol, looked ok, but was mechanically good. Needed some work, like tappet cover seal replacement, fan belt bearing, front shocks, and front suspension arms. Got these fixed for about 8k. Sill needs windscreen replacement and a couple of tyres may be. The asking was 1.25 lac. Closed the deal at 1.1 lac. 8K already spent as listed above and another 10k-12k would be needed for windscreen and tyres (windscreen has a crack on left and tyres are not that bad, so can easily live with them). So, around 1.3lac and car is mechanically fit! Another 28k (all Inclusive) would be for CNG Kit, RC transfer and CNG endorsement

I am sure I could have got a similar car for 1 lac or under but I didn’t want to waste time, effort and petrol for searching an 8 year old baleno. It’s a different story that if you ask me to search for a civic or an accord or an outlander; I ll be more than happy. Ask me to search for a Bimmer and I do it for free (ROLF).

The Cedia for now will be driven sometimes by my uncle and will remain as the weekend fun car for myself. Regarding the suspension upgrade I had in mind, will definitely do it once I save some Moolah!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th May 2014 at 18:10.
Old 27th May 2014, 19:56   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
....One was in pristine condition without CNG but asking was 1.5. I was like no way. Saw the second one, Petrol, looked ok, but was mechanically good. Needed some work, like tappet cover seal replacement, fan belt bearing, front shocks, and front suspension arms. Got these fixed for about 8k. Sill needs windscreen replacement and a couple of tyres may be. The asking was 1.25 lac. Closed the deal at 1.1 lac. 8K already spent as listed above and another 10k-12k would be needed for windscreen and tyres (windscreen has a crack on left and tyres are not that bad, so can easily live with them). So, around 1.3lac and car is mechanically fit! ...
Wouldn't it have made sense to close the deal on the pristine Baleno for 1.4L? You have spent 1.3L on a not-so-great Baleno, a mere 10K and am sure you would have loved the first option more.

To be honest, I am bit confused why did you go for a petrol sedan with an average kmpl similar to Cedia? If you had used the Cedia, you would have saved the 1.4L that you spent on Baleno?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th May 2014 at 19:58.
Old 27th May 2014, 20:40   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wouldn't it have made sense to close the deal on the pristine Baleno for 1.4L? You have spent 1.3L on a not-so-great Baleno, a mere 10K and am sure you would have loved the first option more.

To be honest, I am bit confused why did you go for a petrol sedan with an average kmpl similar to Cedia? If you had used the Cedia, you would have saved the 1.4L that you spent on Baleno?
The first baleno was with a dealer. It required a clutch change and may be the OD was also tampered. Cosmetically it was in good shape and at the look of it didn't require any other expense apart from clutch. But then with the dealers car with no service history could mean anything. This car was on as is where is basis.

Regarding the cedia. I want to keep the car in long term and hence didn't want to install Cng and run nearly 40 plus k kms on it annually. Moreover, parts of cedia are much more expensive, though that of baleno aren't cheap either. But then that of baleno are much easier to source.

I would have definitely saved 1.4 lac if I had used cedia, but Cng and cedia doesn't go hand in hand for me.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 22:09   #908
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gaurav, welcome back. Good to see you are back in thick of all things automotive. Will look forward to your Cedia's updates henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Hi guys, I hope all of you and your rides are doing great. First of all, apologies for not posting here for a long time and Thank you for not letting this thread lie dormant. There have been quite a few developments and I have just been lazy (and a little busy) to update them ever since I came back to India in March this year.

The Cedia for now will be driven sometimes by my uncle and will remain as the weekend fun car for myself. Regarding the suspension upgrade I had in mind, will definitely do it once I save some Moolah!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 18:51   #909
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back, Gaurav.

If you remember, my post a couple of years ago. The Cedia is good as a second car. I still stand by that.
The car is expensive to maintain over period of time, unless you have time to search for the most economic repair option. Plus you need extensive knowledge and/ or trustworthy mechanics.

Our Cedia completed 3 years with us this month.
And in 3 years it has covered around 21000 KMs - almost all of that is on the highway. It has been driven on no roads, off roads and bad roads. It has been driven on steep inclines and on slippery terrain meant only for 4x4's. Yet, the 2.0 liter engine has never let me down.

The other car - our 1996 Zen is mostly used in for city runs and is currently in the final stages of restoration. I am expecting to share some photographs shortly. The entire restoration for Zen will cost me around Rs. 60000 and almost everything in the car will be repaired/ replaced - except the engine.

And yet, I find it cheap - when I compare it to the Cedia.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th May 2014 at 18:54.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:41   #910
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tarrun Sir and Sunil Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If you remember, my post a couple of years ago. The Cedia is good as a second car. I still stand by that.

I still beg to differ on that. My cedia has been driven nearly 1 lac kms in 5 years, since I bought it. The car was very reliable atleast till I have driven it.(and I am not sure about the recent engine overhaul episode as I was not here and I have my own doubts). The prime reason for buying the second car is that I did not want to install CNG on Cedia as I want to keep it in long run. And running 3500-4000 kms on petrol is sheer stupidity considering current fuel prices. Even if I had a civic petrol, I would have done the same thing. I'd rather invest the savings from cng into my Arbitrage account.

Quote:
The car is expensive to maintain over period of time, unless you have time to search for the most economic repair option. Plus you need extensive knowledge and/ or trustworthy mechanics
For that matter, the front shocks of baleno costed 3k and arms costed 3800. That of cedia today costs 5k and 3500, respectively. So baleno aint no cheap.

Quote:
Our Cedia completed 3 years with us this month.
And in 3 years it has covered around 21000 KMs - almost all of that is on the highway. It has been driven on no roads, off roads and bad roads. It has been driven on steep inclines and on slippery terrain meant only for 4x4's. Yet, the 2.0 liter engine has never let me down.
The car has never disappointed me. It truly is a car that can be as elegant as any other C /C+ segment saloon if you drive into a 5 star porch and as sporty/monstrous as a stage one rally cedia.

Quote:
The other car - our 1996 Zen is mostly used in for city runs and is currently in the final stages of restoration. I am expecting to share some photographs shortly. The entire restoration for Zen will cost me around Rs. 60000 and almost everything in the car will be repaired/ replaced - except the engine.
The Zen in good shape is a rare breed. Do post some pictures.

Quote:
And yet, I find it cheap - when I compare it to the Cedia.
I am sure.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th May 2014 at 11:43.
Old 2nd July 2014, 01:37   #911
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
Another betrayed Cedia owner. The HM guys screw some or the other thing whenever I give my car for service. This time it is my Projector/HID system. And I still need to get the SRS Clock spring the scrwered last year. Now they ask 14K for that which they would take month and half to procure only on 'Advance' payment.

The same clock spring is sold on e-bay/US stores for mere $50 plus $40 shipping (free if I get someone to carry). But I dont want to end up with a EBC Green Brakepad lying with me which is actually for Lancer, sold to me as "For Oz Rally" by the seller.

So does anyone has the exact part number or Ebay/other seller's link from where I can confidentially order ? I gathered below sources, which I am not sure they will fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR583930-NEW...8acf7c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR583930-MIT...d65bd7&vxp=mtr

-Ujjwal
Old 4th July 2014, 17:40   #912
BHPian

Repair time

My car has now done 51K km in a little over 4.5 years. Been happy driving so far. Seems like the repairs are beginning to start. The AC suddenly has become less effective when it is hot outside. A.S.S. says it is the cooling coil that needs to be cleaned, but it requires opening up the dashboard. I was hoping it would not come to it. Should I go ahead?

There is a broken piece of plastic near the fender which I'm told will take 6K to replace.

A biker tried to overtake me while I was making a turn and hit my tail light. A small break in the casing - enough for rain water to leak into the tail light. The thing will cost a whopping 19K to replace!

With this "import from Japan when required" policy, I might never buy a Mitsubishi again. That said the car is a gem.
Old 4th July 2014, 19:06   #913
Senior - BHPian

Re: Repair time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
My car has now done 51K km in a little over 4.5 years. Been happy driving so far. Seems like the repairs are beginning to start. The AC suddenly has become less effective when it is hot outside. A.S.S. says it is the cooling coil that needs to be cleaned, but it requires opening up the dashboard. I was hoping it would not come to it. Should I go ahead?

There is a broken piece of plastic near the fender which I'm told will take 6K to replace.

A biker tried to overtake me while I was making a turn and hit my tail light. A small break in the casing - enough for rain water to leak into the tail light. The thing will cost a whopping 19K to replace!

With this "import from Japan when required" policy, I might never buy a Mitsubishi again. That said the car is a gem.

For the AC check the Gas levels. They might be low, a refill or top up of the Gas will make it good as new. Under Rs 1,500

What kind of plastic is this? Can you post a picture?

As for the Tail light is it 19K for a pair? check outside the A.S.S Made in Thailand ones are available for under 8,000 for each.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 07:06   #914
BHPian

Re: Repair time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
For the AC check the Gas levels. They might be low, a refill or top up of the Gas will make it good as new. Under Rs 1,500

What kind of plastic is this? Can you post a picture?

As for the Tail light is it 19K for a pair? check outside the A.S.S Made in Thailand ones are available for under 8,000 for each.
The SA says the gas pressure seems okay. Would also like to add that all of a sudden the driver side vent seemed to be letting in lesser amount of air. SA says he's got the blowers cleaned too. I'll have to check again when I get the car back.

Will post pic once I get the car back. SA called it the front fender lining - not sure if he has to replace everything. This happened when the front (left corner) skirting hit a kerb.

It is 19K for a single tail light.
Old 7th July 2014, 15:39   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Finally got the clock spring installed an hour ago.
I had purchased it from Amayama Trading company.
Total landed cost: Rs. 8500 + labor at A.S.S. = Rs. 169.

The part seems to be genuine. I have physically inspected a new replacement part at the A.S.S. and the one that I had procured.

Hope this clock spring lasts long enough for me.
Hi Sun, do you remember the part number to provide in the Amayama site ?? My clock spring has gone kaput and the Mitsu guys are asking 16+ (8K advance and a months wait).... I am sick of their attitude.

Can you share the picture of the replaced Clock spring ?? I got a replacement Clock Spring on E-bay for cheap, but dont know if it will fit .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/spiral-cable...43229447&rt=nc

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th July 2014 at 16:08.

Most Viewed