Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 09:59   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Thanks for the wishes Sandeep. The search continues with fingers crossed

I must mention this. Sandeep PMed me with his contact details after i had posted the query on the long term maintenance costs. Not only did he offer to answer all my queries on phone/chat he also invited me to his home to have a look at his car and gave me some very valuable pointers. Great hospitality from him and his wife. This gesture just goes to show the healthy camaraderie among the Cedia owners here Long may this continue!

Last edited by Deeps : 15th September 2014 at 10:03. Reason: adding text
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 21:23   #962
Senior - BHPian

Update: 126,750 kms on the clock.

The rear shockers I got installed about 3-4 months back packed up. At the time of buying I had my doubts that they were refurbished but since they were available on the spot, I got them. I think I did mention this somewhere in the post.

Anyways, thats 4k down the drain - 3400 for shocks and 500 to raju.

This time, I was particular on what I source. Checked karol bagh and got TRW - brand new shocks (with 6 months guarantee) for about 6k and 500 for labour. I got a quote of 5400 for TRWs from another vendor but he asked me to wait for 2 days - Didnt have time, so paid 6k plus labour.

Brakes - the brakes were still spongy after the bleeding, so got the discs (both front and rear) faced and installed new brake pads (both front and rear - TRWs). Other problems addressed - inner side jumping rod bushes, caliper pin noise. Left the car at Raju's place for 2 days and picked it up perfect. Damage 5k - 2800 for pads, 700 disc phase, and 1500 labour.

The braking improved significantly but still not top notch. I had a word at Mitsubishi with Sanjay (supervisor) and he says it could be brake actuators that may need resetting. They need to jack the laptop to the ECU to scan it.

Service update
Booked a service for last Wednesday, when I had an off. Reached the ASC to get to know that the laptop had gone to Gorakhpur for the service of Pajero Sport. On calling gorakhpur to enquire when the mechanics are back they said that the laptop has gone kaput. I was a bit annoyed, but I dont really care much now. Will wait for them to fix the laptop and then get the ECU scanned.

Got the service done - about 126750 kms on the clock.

Cost:-
oil filter - 198 plus taxes
coolant - 795 plus taxes
labour - 1237 plus taxes
total - about 2500

Engine oil - castrol edge - Rs.3100/-

Spark plugs were not in stock. So tried Bosch super 4 on the recommendation of an auto parts shop guy. Another issue is that the ignition cable of third cylinder had gone kaput. Raju installed a cable from some other car and it working fine but I would like to switch back to the original one. Ordered at Asian motors - lets see when it comes.
The FE is down to 9 ish for a while and I think the change of cable can improve FE. the change of spark plugs hardly made any difference. Paid 800 for the bosch super 4 and 100 labour.

The Yokohama S-Drives are also on their last leg - should last another 5k kms or so. Already have 45k kms on them. Thats with very decent running for 25k kms or so by family when I was not in India. Planning to get Hankook Ventus V8 up next. the pattern is similar to that of s-drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Compare this to the ones sold by the A.S.C. which are again NGK (non Iridium of course) @ 1325/- each. This with free delivery and cheque payment a proper VAT bill, oh did I mention 'Made in Japan'.

Some confusion Sir, I was being charged Rs 200 plus taxes for NGK (non Iridium) plugs by Asian motors last week. The estimated bill was about 3500 with plugs, which came down to 2500 when the plugs were not changed (not in stock). Did Excel ask for 1325 per plug from you???

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th September 2014 at 01:09. Reason: back to back posts merged, thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 22:05   #963
Senior - BHPian

Re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia- 1.1 Lakh kms Update!!!

Yes, it came as a shock to me too and I reconfirmed and cross checked with NGK spark plug model no BKR5E-11. However will check again when I go for the service.
Open market price for normal NGK plugs (BKR5SE-11) is 200 odd each, 350+ for the Platinum(BKR5EGP-11) & 665 for a single piece of Iridium(BKR5EIX-11), NGK all of them. Oh and after a bit more time spent reading up on the Iridiums (mostly on various NGK sites for various english speaking countries) I have decided to try them out.

Some years ago I had to change the two spark plug wires, thanks to a rat. I was in Bombay and the replacement was sourced from Mars. This was a kit containing both wires and came in a Mitsubishi spares packing, made in Japan OE unnamed. Those two wires made a noticeable difference in the way the car behaved. I am hoping that the cleaner sparks of the Iridiums help burn the 93 ON fuel that I feed the Blue Streak with. Will know in a few days time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Some confusion Sir, I was being charged Rs 200 plus taxes for NGK (non Iridium) plugs by Asian motors last week. The estimated bill was about 3500 with plugs, which came down to 2500 when the plugs were not changed (not in stock). Did Excel ask for 1325 per plug from you???
Keep me in the loop for the shocks and the brake pads, also I am toying with the idea of removing the K&N CAI kit unless I can find someone who can turn & bend an extension for the intake tube to place the filter in a more desirable location compared to what the kit allows.

BTW why did you want to get the ECU scanned, is it a regular practice for you or were you trying to get rid of some fault.

Last edited by khoj : 16th September 2014 at 22:06.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:56   #964
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Good updates @Gaurav.

BTW: My current ODO is lesser than yours. So, you have now overtaken me.

I remember I paid Rs. 5000 for one shocker original Mitsubishi last year at Mars India.
I also vaguely remember that the same at A>S>S was around 10K but out of stock.
Fortunately A>S>S does not complain when I get parts from outside.

Last week car was back from service at Tune Up Plus.
Total bill was about Rs. 3058. This includes oil change (10W30 or was it 10W40?)
No issues with the car and it is ready for long drives again.

In the last 8 months, the car clocked only 2700 KM.

As a result, my spare rear brake pads (original) are still lying unused as the previous ones can still last one more year.

My two Bridgestones are dated Year 2008 and I am not sure if it is good idea to drive with those, though they have done less than 25000 KM and have plenty of life left in them.

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th September 2014 at 12:58.
Old 17th September 2014, 21:37   #965
BHPian

The rear suspension on my Cedia has gone soft, especially since I have a CNG tank installed and its weight contributes to the sag.

I called up Mars India in Mumbai and they are selling unbranded heavy duty springs which are made stiffer especially for stiffer vehicles. A pair of rear springs will cost 4000, and kyb gas shocks a pair for the rear will cost 9000.

Does it make sense to install unbranded coil springs? Is Mars India a genuine dealer?
abeerbagul is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 23:00   #966
Senior - BHPian

These days I am going for the quote button and end up hitting thanks instead

Anyhow, Mars claim to be and I suppose they are authorised distributors for HM & GM. By virtue of the HM-Mitsubishi tie up they have access to Mitsubishi parts. The plug wires that I mentioned did have the HM logo on the packaging alongside the Mitsubishi logo, decals etc. Does seem genuine enough, then again now-a-days it is difficult to tell left from right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Does it make sense to install unbranded coil springs? Is Mars India a genuine dealer?
Old 18th September 2014, 11:38   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear suspension on my Cedia has gone soft, especially since I have a CNG tank installed and its weight contributes to the sag.

I called up Mars India in Mumbai and they are selling unbranded heavy duty springs which are made stiffer especially for stiffer vehicles. A pair of rear springs will cost 4000, and kyb gas shocks a pair for the rear will cost 9000.

Last year, I got one rear shocker from them for Rs. 5000. That was original.
KYB seems to be cheaper than that.

I have got clutch plate + pressure plate + bearing from them as well. They were also genuine.

So, I don't think they are lying. However, they are expensive than sellers in Delhi, where the same thing would be cheaper by 1-2K minimum.

Edit: Since you are in Pune, contact Kashyap on 9860379919. He has a shop at Nana Peth and I have got original brake pads from him a year ago.

Last edited by S_U_N : 18th September 2014 at 11:39.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:22   #968
BHPian

I called Kashyap on the mobile and asked him if he has coil springs for the rear suspension which are stiffer than OE springs.
He has not sold any such springs till now, though he does have OE shocks. He promised to talk to a local manufacturer of coil springs as to whether they can be manufactured stiffer than OE.

But then Mars India is a better bet since he already has "Special CNG" coil springs on sale, so I assume I am not the first guinea pig for R & D.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:52   #969
BHPian

Quote:

How has been your CNG experience on the cedia so far? Any major expenses so far (CNG related)? What kind of FE are you getting on CNG?
Old 18th September 2014, 19:59   #970
BHPian

CNG is perfect for the Cedia if mostly your usage is urban and commute. There is a power loss of approx 15%, but the savings are amazing.

For 1 kg of CNG which is 52.50 in Pune, I get a mileage of approx 15, which translates to Rs 3.5 per km. One refill takes 8 kgs which lasts me for a week.
This is on par or better than a diesel car.

The smoothness is the same as petrol, and the kit does not need any maintenance.

Due to the heavy weight of the CNG cylinder and the inherently soft suspension setup, the rear bounces a bit on highways, which I am trying to fix with stiffer springs.

The boot space is halved, so airport luggage cannot be accomodated, but that is not my requirement.
Old 19th September 2014, 00:06   #971
BHPian

I get about 150-160 kms for a tank of gas which costs Rs.420 in Ahmedabad. You do feel some drop in performance in urban traffic.
Old 19th September 2014, 00:09   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Update: 126,750 kms on the clock.

The rear shockers I got installed about 3-4 months back packed up. At the time of buying I had my doubts that they were refurbished but since they were available on the spot, I got them. I think I did mention this somewhere in the post.

Anyways, thats 4k down the drain - 3400 for shocks and 500 to raju.

This time, I was particular on what I source. Checked karol bagh and got TRW - brand new shocks (with 6 months guarantee) for about 6k and 500 for labour. I got a quote of 5400 for TRWs from another vendor but he asked me to wait for 2 days - Didnt have time, so paid 6k plus labour.

Brakes - the brakes were still spongy after the bleeding, so got the discs (both front and rear) faced and installed new brake pads (both front and rear - TRWs). Other problems addressed - inner side jumping rod bushes, caliper pin noise. Left the car at Raju's place for 2 days and picked it up perfect. Damage 5k - 2800 for pads, 700 disc phase, and 1500 labour.

The braking improved significantly but still not top notch. I had a word at Mitsubishi with Sanjay (supervisor) and he says it could be brake actuators that may need resetting. They need to jack the laptop to the ECU to scan it.

Service update
Booked a service for last Wednesday, when I had an off. Reached the ASC to get to know that the laptop had gone to Gorakhpur for the service of Pajero Sport. On calling gorakhpur to enquire when the mechanics are back they said that the laptop has gone kaput. I was a bit annoyed, but I dont really care much now. Will wait for them to fix the laptop and then get the ECU scanned.

Got the service done - about 126750 kms on the clock.

Cost:-
oil filter - 198 plus taxes
coolant - 795 plus taxes
labour - 1237 plus taxes
total - about 2500

Engine oil - castrol edge - Rs.3100/-

Spark plugs were not in stock. So tried Bosch super 4 on the recommendation of an auto parts shop guy. Another issue is that the ignition cable of third cylinder had gone kaput. Raju installed a cable from some other car and it working fine but I would like to switch back to the original one. Ordered at Asian motors - lets see when it comes.
The FE is down to 9 ish for a while and I think the change of cable can improve FE. the change of spark plugs hardly made any difference. Paid 800 for the bosch super 4 and 100 labour.

The Yokohama S-Drives are also on their last leg - should last another 5k kms or so. Already have 45k kms on them. Thats with very decent running for 25k kms or so by family when I was not in India. Planning to get Hankook Ventus V8 up next. the pattern is similar to that of s-drives.

Can you please post TRW part numbers for shocks and brakes?
Old 19th September 2014, 12:06   #973
Senior - BHPian

Update: yesterday, I went for a 3-4 kms spin and saw the heat needle of the car rising up. Freaked, I stopped the car and checked the engine bay. Most looked clean and radiator fan was working but I could see sprinkles of coolant near the transmission. A detailed inspection showed a leak in the small pipe that goes from engine to throttle body. Went to a local mechanic (used to get my 800 fixed from him) and asked him to change it.

A longer new pipe made for some other car was cut to the right size and installed. On topping up the coolant, I realized that the small leak resulted in nearly 2 L of coolant loss. I bought 1L first but that was insufficient, so bought another 1L bottle. It was a castrol - heavy duty coolant. Damage 520 for the coolant, 80 for the pipe and 100 labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, it came as a shock to me too and I reconfirmed and cross checked with NGK spark plug model no BKR5E-11. However will check again when I go for the service.
I am not sure about the part number sir. But I have always been charged about 200 plus tax for the plugs from ASC, got them changed at 40k & 80k kms.

Quote:
Oh and after a bit more time spent reading up on the Iridiums (mostly on various NGK sites for various english speaking countries) I have decided to try them out.
I have been reading your posts and other discussions on iridium plugs here on team-bhp.

Quote:
Some years ago I had to change the two spark plug wires, thanks to a rat. I was in Bombay and the replacement was sourced from Mars. This was a kit containing both wires and came in a Mitsubishi spares packing, made in Japan OE unnamed.
I remember that. I will look in karol bagh, if ASC cannot source it in a month or so. Until you are going to Mumbai .

Quote:
Keep me in the loop for the shocks and the brake pads, also I am toying with the idea of removing the K&N CAI kit unless I can find someone who can turn & bend an extension for the intake tube to place the filter in a more desirable location compared to what the kit allows.
Sure, the shocks and pads are easily available from Sahni/chawla in karol bagh. Ask raju and he ll arrange it whenever needed. So, you installed the K&N.. Do you have the stock intake pipe in front of the filter. I mean the pipe that went from the stock filter box to the front radiator/condenser support.

Quote:
BTW why did you want to get the ECU scanned, is it a regular practice for you or were you trying to get rid of some fault.
Sir, I am not satisfied with the braking of my car. Have already got brakes bleeded, discs faced and pads changed. The braking improved but still not up to my satisfaction. Sanjay at Asian Motors told me that it could be that the brake actuators may need resetting. Hence, will need to jack up the ECU with the laptop to reset the brake actuators.

Asian Motors used to scan and fix any codes in ECU for free on every service till about 2010-11. They started charging Rs.850 plus tax thereafter and scan ECU only when its needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I remember I paid Rs. 5000 for one shocker original Mitsubishi last year at Mars India.
Thats genuine OE fitment shocks - KYB.

Quote:
My two Bridgestones are dated Year 2008 and I am not sure if it is good idea to drive with those, though they have done less than 25000 KM and have plenty of life left in them.
Rubber gets hard with age. Its not that you cant live with them for now, but the braking will be compromised as grip levels will be low because of hard rubber. Also, hard rubber wont wear out, if its 25k kms and you still see more than expected life, then you really wont see any wear even in another 10k kms.

Quote:
Most unbranded ones are refilled ones - its better not to spend 4k on those. The ride will be bouncy, hard and the life of shocks will be very less. Look around for more options. Branded ones such as TRW, Mando, or KYBs would do more justice.

Quote:
He promised to talk to a local manufacturer of coil springs as to whether they can be manufactured stiffer than OE.
A simple fix like this can do the job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Can you please post TRW part numbers for shocks and brakes?
The parts are already installed and I do not have the boxes. So, cant provide the numbers for now. Apologies for the same.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th September 2014 at 12:23.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:54   #974
BHPian

My AC fan has become very noisy with a purrr sound and not much air comes out of the vents. Any ideas about what is going on?
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:51   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
My AC fan has become very noisy with a purrr sound and not much air comes out of the vents. Any ideas about what is going on?

Question: Fan in the engine bay is noisy or the blower behind the glove box has become noisy?

For cooling problem, there is a setting under the dashboard, between central console and the steering wheel, which gets disturbed every few months. Please try to get that checked and corrected.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks