Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 15:54   #1021
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Back to back posts, mods kindly merge.

Since there are many threads on safety and frontal collision, I am uploading a couple of snaps of Cedia's frontal protection components.

Had got the bumper removed last week to get the headlamp assy resealed.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20141108_182550393_hdr.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20141108_182542463_hdr.jpg
Old 13th November 2014, 17:49   #1022
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

With the recent news highlighting Swift's and Datsun's miserable performance in the crash tests would you know how the cedia (Aisan markets) or Lancer 2006 (USA market) fared in the crash tests and what were the safety ratings?

Every time i drive to office or home i look at the new Amaze or the new Xcent or the new swift i think that for the money i got my Cedia around 2 months back i am still better off as compared to these other cars.

Just concerned with the safety ratings after the above news though!

Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Back to back posts, mods kindly merge.

Since there are many threads on safety and frontal collision, I am uploading a couple of snaps of Cedia's frontal protection components.

Had got the bumper removed last week to get the headlamp assy resealed.

Attachment 1308309

Attachment 1308310
Old 14th November 2014, 12:26   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
With the recent news highlighting Swift's and Datsun's miserable performance in the crash tests would you know how the cedia (Aisan markets) or Lancer 2006 (USA market) fared in the crash tests and what were the safety ratings?

Every time i drive to office or home i look at the new Amaze or the new Xcent or the new swift i think that for the money i got my Cedia around 2 months back i am still better off as compared to these other cars.

Just concerned with the safety ratings after the above news though!

Rajesh

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...vehicleId=1769

Edit: http://www.cars.com/mitsubishi/lance...TabsOnTop=true

Edit2: The best analysis is here but probably that is a different Lancer if you look at the video.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-se...2007-sedan.htm

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th November 2014 at 12:33.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 12:02   #1024
Senior - BHPian

In case anyone is wondering about side and rear safety this is what the Cedia is equipped with

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-1that-really-solid-bar.jpg

side impact protection bar front door

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-1dsc02541.jpg

rear crash protection beam

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-1dsc02470.jpg

This is a top view of the front crash protection beam shown in S_U_N's post above, it is a good 4" across.
One can also see the airbag sensor mounted just behind the beam. The black balloon shaped tip houses the actual sensor.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 16:38   #1025
Senior - BHPian

So yesterday turned out to be 'Car Seva' day. Had booked the Blue Streak for service with Excel motors complete with a pick up, since I had an important meeting lined up. However within the first couple of hours of the work day all went for a toss as the driver from Excel did not turn up and then my client cancelled the meeting. This left me in a sour mood and to soothe myself I decided to take the Cedia out for a spin. Came back home had a spot of lunch and stepped in to the vehicle, suddenly the thought of getting the car serviced by Raju came to mind. Called him up and fixed the time for 02.30pm.

Rest of the experience posted here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3581497

Last edited by khoj : 16th November 2014 at 17:04.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:25   #1026
Senior - BHPian

One of my headlamp leveling motors has gone bad it seems.
I am looking for a replacement. Any pointers towards the part number or a compatible part number would be welcome.
Last week, I noticed that the car did not start after parking it for a while at my installer's shop.
Basically nothing happened after turning the key, for 3-4 times.
After several attempts to crank the car, it did start eventually.

I did not turn it off for quite a while after that.
After the work was done, I crossed my fingers and the car did start on first crank. So, I am not sure if this can be ignored or not.

I have faced this situation a couple of times earlier, but it does not happen frequently.
The spark plugs (NKG) were changed 11 months ago. The battery, though is old, is still fine, I think.

What else could be wrong?
Old 17th November 2014, 12:36   #1027
BHPian

A minor setback to my newly acquired Cedia. The story goes like this...

On Friday morning i refueled the car. As a habit i always top it up just so that i get to know the average fuel consumption between refills.

My drive to office is roughly 6 kms so on reaching office i park the car oblivious to the fact that my evening is not going to be the same.

During the day i tell my colleagues, during a normal lunch time discussion, that buying a second hand car makes so much sense for me at least whose daily drive is around 12 kms with a weekend expedition of max 50 kms. And i tell them that they should see my latest acquisition.

In the evening one of my colleague decides to ride with me home and along the way also wants to check out the new Lancer (Cedia) that i kept talking about.

So here we are....picture this....I invite him to check out my newly done leather upholstry and boast about the new Pioneer head unit (which has maps, reverse camera, bluetooth, plays movies and music and also makes phone calls).

Now comes the time when i want to actually drive home the point of me BUYING A SECOND HAND CAR. And that too a Cedia, which commercially didn't do as well as its illustrious competitors.

So i turn on the ignition but the car won't start. I am like ok...that can happen once. So i try it again and again around 5 -6 times when i realize this is not going to go the way i intended. After fiddling with a couple of fuses and the spark plug with the help of a handy driver nearby who also doubles up as an eager mechanic i give up and leave for home in an auto rickshaw. Embarrassed and red faced!!!

So i come back on Saturday with a full time mechanic. He does the same routine and then finally zeros on the fuel pump. He told me that one should not top the fuel tank as this does strain the fuel pump motor. (Anyways i don't believe that theory) Guys do please let me know if you've heard something like this.

Got a denso, made in Japan original fuel pump. DAMAGE 2750. Labor 650. Embarrasment. Priceless

My car is roughly 3.5 years old and has done 26k kms. I don't think the fuel pump should fail with a relatively less run vehicle. Have you faced this issue? I really hope the car does not give me much trouble in the future and is as reliable as my Honda Civic.

Also do you really think toping up the fuel tank should do cause the fuel pump motor to fail?

Attaching the pic of the part that was changed.

Quote:
One of my headlamp leveling motors has gone bad it seems.
I am looking for a replacement. Any pointers towards the part number or a compatible part number would be welcome.
Last week, I noticed that the car did not start after parking it for a while at my installer's shop.

After the work was done, I crossed my fingers and the car did start on first crank. So, I am not sure if this can be ignored or not.

I have faced this situation a couple of times earlier, but it does not happen frequently.
The spark plugs (NKG) were changed 11 months ago. The battery, though is old, is still fine, I think.

Could be the fuel pump. Have it checked. I have just posted my experience with a fuel pump gone bad.
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-wp_20141117_12_25_28_pro.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-wp_20141117_12_25_37_pro.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-wp_20141117_12_25_48_pro.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-wp_20141117_12_26_05_pro.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 17th November 2014 at 12:48.
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 13:55   #1028
Senior - BHPian

@raj981: Thanks for writing about the fuel pump.
Mitsubishi had a fuel pump recall last year - I had got mine changed then.

Meanwhile, exploring my option for getting the headlamp leveling motor, I came across this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...item2ec74c01cc

This is for the newer Lancer in Australia. I have still not found the one for the older Lancer CH in Australia.
That is the same car as our Cedia.
Old 17th November 2014, 21:58   #1029
Senior - BHPian

I too had my Cedia's fuel pump changed in 2012 under the recall. Looking at the snaps posted by you somehow the Denso seems smaller than what came out and went in to my Cedia's fuel tank. See pics posted by me of the new pump here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2982203

& the old pump (with the black top cover) here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2982911

On second look it seems that the white Teflon? outer cover encompassing the pump itself makes the OEM component bigger.

On the fuel level issue, per my understanding one should not allow the car to run on low/very low levels of fuel. Since the filter is below the pump and the fuel is indeed sucked through the filter, low fuel levels may lead to the accumualted debris clogging the filter's outer surface thereby dry running of the pump leading to it's destruction.

Driving with low levels while on an inclined road (not necessarily a bridge or mountain road) could cause the fuel to move in a direction away from the pump. This too would lead to the pump running dry and thereby getting damaged.

Out of the car in everyday work life too I have never seen a pump being destroyed due to flooded or positive suction. It is always negative suction leading to dry running that causes pump failures.

Quote:
Got a denso, made in Japan original fuel pump. DAMAGE 2750. Labor 650. Embarrasment. Priceless

Also do you really think toping up the fuel tank should do cause the fuel pump motor to fail?

Attaching the pic of the part that was changed.
Old 18th November 2014, 00:51   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In case anyone is wondering about side and rear safety this is what the Cedia is equipped with

side impact protection bar front door

rear crash protection beam

This is a top view of the front crash protection beam shown in S_U_N's post above, it is a good 4" across.
One can also see the airbag sensor mounted just behind the beam. The black balloon shaped tip houses the actual sensor.
The Cedia is one well built car! The newer cars are no where close to the cedia.

The one thing HM did right was not remove the any safety bars/components of the cedia

Quote:

Is the battery getting charged properly? If you have a blown fuse then your battery may not charge properly - Causing starting issues.
Another cause could be the starter motor.

Quote:
Meanwhile, exploring my option for getting the headlamp leveling motor, I came across this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...item2ec74c01cc

This is for the newer Lancer in Australia. I have still not found the one for the older Lancer CH in Australia.
That is the same car as our Cedia.
Isn't the lever part of the headlight ?
You could try and take out the headlamp assembly/ leveler and try cleaning it, could be some dust or grime stuck somewhere, Spray some WD40,
If it doesnt work then this might be a good chance for you to upgrade to an aftermarket projector setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I too had my Cedia's fuel pump changed in 2012 under the recall. Looking at the snaps posted by you somehow the Denso seems smaller than what came out and went in to my Cedia's fuel tank. See pics posted by me of the new pump here

I guess the fuel pump is inside the plastic housing which also has the fuel gauge float.

I was thinking of replacing the front grille on my ver 2 cedia, The OEM girlle looks very bland and boring. Thinking of getting something like this.

Add a nice red Mitsubishi logo in the middle. Boy that will look great!

http://www.ioffer.com/i/jdm-mitsubis...ille-111092071

Any place we can source this locally? I am also on the look out for a good aftermarket projector setup.
Attached Images

Old 18th November 2014, 11:16   #1031
Senior - BHPian

@Captain Slow: If it is a battery problem, then the car would not start after few attempts, since each attempt will draw current and drain the battery completely.

As for the headlamp leveling motor, I don't think it is part of the head lamp assembly. I could find the part, but for the newer Lancer in Australia. This would probably not be the same as our Cedia.

And yes, I already have a projector with HID, setup running since 2.5 years. I just got the projectors re-aligned and re-sealed last week, since there was leakage.

Edit: About the grille, try aliexpress.com
Old 18th November 2014, 11:39   #1032
BHPian

Gentlemen, My issue doesn't seem to have settled after all!

I am hearing a whistling sound from the fuel pump and the engine stalls if i take the foot off the accelerator.

I guess i should take the car to Sampco (Mitsubishi) to have this thoroughly checked.

In the interim any experiences with the whistling sound folks?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:32   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, My issue doesn't seem to have settled after all!

I am hearing a whistling sound from the fuel pump and the engine stalls if i take the foot off the accelerator.

I guess i should take the car to Sampco (Mitsubishi) to have this thoroughly checked.

In the interim any experiences with the whistling sound folks?

Thanks
How can you hear the sound from the fuel pump? Are you getting under the car or have you taken the back seat out to hear the sound?
Old 18th November 2014, 12:35   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
How can you hear the sound from the fuel pump? Are you getting under the car or have you taken the back seat out to hear the sound?
The low pitch sound is audible even with the back seat on. But is more prominent once i take off the back seat.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:10   #1035
Senior - BHPian

RECALL Headlight switch for Cedia

Yesterday went back to Raju's for changing out the coolant and Steering fluid. While the jobs were being carried out another Cedia drove in and Raju commented that this car came with Gaurav Chopra's reference. Gave it a cursory look and went about my business.

A bit later saw the driver of the black Cedia chatting with another young chap and both were looking intently in my direction and I was like uh oh I hope it is not another prospective buyer for my car offering me spot cash so on and so forth.

I was however pleasantly surprised when the new guy walked up and introduced himself as who else but Gaurav Chopra. Though we had spoken over the phone a few times, we had never met and now finally I had a face to go along with the voice.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20141119_140802282_hdr.jpg

Gaurav is the young chap behind me and the black Cedia in the background belongs to his cousin.

Initial pleasantries over Gaurav being Gaurav had new information to share and I am passing the same on to you.

There is currently a recall underway for the Cedia's headlight switch. There is a chip in the circuit which is being charged and all of you should contact your local service centres to get the same done. The recall is for all Cedias irrespective of the year of manufacture.

This visit to Raju also completed Cedia's service. The car drank 4 litres of Paraflu coolant and around 1 litre of Steering fluid. Raju was expecting the car to take in about 5-6 litres of coolant and was surprised when the system refused to take in anymore after 4 litres were poured in.

Are you sure this is from the fuel pump and not tire tread noise or bearing whine?

Quote:
The low pitch sound is audible even with the back seat on. But is more prominent once i take off the back seat.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed