Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:17   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Arm bushes only. He says he will get them changed individually at 2.5k.
And that includes arm ends too..? If you get both the arm bushes and ends for both arms for 5k including labour, its definitely worth it.

Quote:
Also he was saying that tie rod end and ball joint also look like they need changing soon and I should change them. What do you think ? Should I get this changed as well ?
Get the arms done first. If you still feel vibration in steering while going over a bump, get the tie rods and tie ends changed, but I seriously doubt if tie rods and ends can go at 50k..
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:56   #362
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man. Will get the bushes changed and update the damage here.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:08   #363
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

I went and got the amaron battery...cost me around 4k and got a bit back for the old one....didnt read your post before going..anyway I guess with 4 years warranty its ok..
Old 28th October 2011, 20:02   #364
Senior - BHPian

Well, got both K&N filter and AC cabin filter today. Both were simple fitments and easy DIYs. The K&N just took a minute and cabin filter took some 5 odd minutes.

Before fitting the K&N, called ACE_F355 (Rohit) to know if I need to take any specific measures before installing it. He said no specific measures, just that I need to make sure that the Filter box is sealed properly, once I install the filter. He also informed me about the K&N cleaning kit and I have asked him to pick one up for me, costs about a grand. The filter should need cleaning every 5k or so..

Also, went through various posts on K&N, which advised resetting the ECU and I did that by removing the battery for 10 odd mins and connected it back..

Finally, did a small run and the difference in performance is noticeable. The air intake has improved, the throttle response has got better and intake growl has increased.. However, its still no match for the K&N typhoon (witnessed it in Rohit's civic), which I can say is a better investment than this stock replacement filter. The intake note of typhoon cannot be described, it can just be heard... Further, I am still to check the filter response in my kinda driving. So, will update on the performace and FE after a good run..

For the AC filter, I am now hearing a low whooish sound when the blower is switched on, will again update on the same once I clock some kms..

For now the pics..

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0681.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0682.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0683.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0685.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0686.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0687.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0688.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0689.jpg

Went to Murthal Yesterday night with a friend and a short burst after taking left from bypass on to GT karnal road made me do under double ton (198 to be precise) after a long time. An all new Hyundai Verna was in for a run. The verna did 160-170 with no trouble.. Mind you a new scorpio was doing 140-150. It was all empty stretch and there I said to the verna "get aside Son, Daddys here" . 200 came in, in no time.., was on stock filter though.. All in all a very nice experience and yes, the S-Drives with 36k surprised me once again with their grip levels.. The car was rock solid at 200 unlike the civic (on stock brand new Bridgestone ER300 tires), which never felt planted over 180 on the same stretch a month back..

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0678.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th October 2011 at 20:07.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 20:11   #365
BHPian

Gaurav can you upload some photos with the K&N and the air filter installed?Just to get an idea.

Also is resetting the ECU necessary?
Old 28th October 2011, 22:36   #366
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a 1000 KM trip to Goa.
With tyre pressure of 32, the car was more prompt in picking up.
On my return journey, with slightly less pressure, I found the performance sluggish. Increased the pressure again and the performance was back to normal.
I really need to change the caliper pins and cannot proceed in after market unless I can provide a sample. Not able to find this in Pune so far. Argh!
Car has clocked almost 8.5K since last service. I think I will go with A.S.S. for the service, but I am not sure if the other things that they do (e.g. Bardahl treatment etc.) are really required.
Old 29th October 2011, 02:24   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think I will go with A.S.S. for the service, but I am not sure if the other things that they do (e.g. Bardahl treatment etc.) are really required.
Bardahl treatment is just money down the drain. Unless you are having serious issues with the car's injectors or the compression ratio, too much carbon on the plugs etc. Just stick to the recommended service per the manual and just say a firm no to everything else, they offer. I presume that you will take the car to J Williams. If you do, try getting Amol to take care of your vehicle. The other service advisor Zakir or Zaib or something is least interested in the vehicles or associated problems. There is a third one too I forget his name and he is ok too.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 07:31   #368
Senior - BHPian

^I know Sachin and Hanif at JW.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:11   #369
BHPian

So, Gaurav, the car has no in cabin filter at all?

Its available for around 30 US on ebay, including shipping...so am planning to order one.

Looking at your speeds, I wonder whats up with my car...I cant get it to cross 140 on a fair stretch...
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:04   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post

Its available for around 30 US on ebay, including shipping...so am planning to order one.

Looking at your speeds, I wonder whats up with my car...I cant get it to cross 140 on a fair stretch...
Cant cross 140 ? Dude something is up with your car, get it checked. Mine easily touches 150-160 without a hitch. (3 yrs & 51000km+ and running)
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:03   #371
BHPian

Yeah, and I am at 3 years + and 23k kms....wonder what the issue is. Anyway, so when you go for these speeds, do you rev to the redline in each gear?
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:34   #372
Senior - BHPian

I haven't driven beyond 140 - in fact just touched 140 and came down to 100-110, which is also quite high in my opinion.

I normally don't exceed 120 even on clear stretches since the road noise beyond that is simply something I cannot tolerate. When I read these high figures 160-190, it scares me a lot.
I don't know if my car can go beyond 140, but I would probably not want to try it since:
1. Braking distance would be very large
2. Roads are unpredictable
3. My car is almost 5 years old and engine has done 1,06,000 KM on it.

Speeds of 80 in 4th gear produces quite a bit of engine noise. I cannot imagine the noise at red line.

BTW: On earlier trips, while driving at speed of 100-110, I have seen cars such as Santro and i10 easily overtaking me. I wonder how stable are those cars at these high speeds.

On another note, I am look at getting Synthetic oil this time. What is the recommended brand and cost?
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:16   #373
BHPian

Yup, at anything above say 80-100 the tyre noise is really very high. I also find the car becoming a bit light at around 140 and wonder how safe it would be to go way above that.
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:52   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Gaurav can you upload some photos with the K&N and the air filter installed?Just to get an idea.

Also is resetting the ECU necessary?
Sir, There is a video I uploaded on last page, which will help you with the cabin air filter installation.. For the K&N, it goes in stock Air filter box, take out the stock filter and push the new one in..

For the ECU, it not necessary to reset it, but whats the harm even if you do it. I anyways get it reset every 10k kms on service.

Quote:

Ya, there is a place to install the filter but no filter as such.. $30, is good. I got to know yesterday only, when I showed the filter to Sanjay at asian motors, that outlander and montero have same filter, better quality though and they cost Rs.3200/-.

Quote:
I wonder whats up with my car...I cant get it to cross 140 on a fair stretch...
You might want to check a few things here Mav, 140 isnt a bit of trouble for cedia.. Do you also feel lack of torque while on incline?? Is it only 5th gear that you have issues or all the gears and car cant go beyond an rpm reading..

Things that you might wana check.

1. Is there any sign of clutch slippage?

if not..

2. put the car on neutral and revv the engine till 6k rpm, if it doesnt go beyond a 3-4k rpm, you have trouble..

if it revvs till 6k rpm, then its definitely not the engine..

in this case, get the clutch bleeded,, in btw, when did you get the major service done??

get the clutch oil changed if you havent till date..and also get the air filter changed..

if you stil have issues, you may want ASC to check the clutch and flywheel..

However, if your engine doesnt revv beyond 3-4 k rpm, your car may be running on safe mode.. ECU trying to prevent some damage in engine, it may be a fauly ECU or in worst case some engine problem, most likely a crankshaft..

Get clutch, flywheel and oils checked along with engine timing.. before anything else. First see if you can red line easily in neutral..

Not to scare you, it just might be a small clutch issue, which may go with oil bleeding..

Quote:
Anyway, so when you go for these speeds, do you rev to the redline in each gear?
Not always, the car is certainly sluggish in 5th gear compared to 4th but it does go over 200 with out issues if you have a long stretch.. but yes, I mostly like to do 175 on 4th and then slot 5th..

Normally, I just cruse at 100-120 on highways, until I get a tempting empty SAFE stretch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Braking distance would be very large
This car needs wider tyres, atleast 205s, sometimes I feel like getting 215s but increasing fuel prices and less FE (wider tyres) make me sit aback.. You will be surprised at the braking distance, once you stomp the pedal even at 150+

Quote:
My car is almost 5 years old and engine has done 1,06,000 KM on it.
You kidding me.. if your car is maintained properly, you can ocassionaly have FUN, no problem with that, 1.06 is not even mid life IMHO for cars these days.. I can still do 140 on my 5 speed 800 though I havent tried it for ages now, not that I cant, just that I feel a bit scared over 120.. having driven the more generous cedia and civic..

Quote:
Speeds of 80 in 4th gear produces quite a bit of engine noise. I cannot imagine the noise at red line.
Where is the noise, I need a K&n typhoon..

Quote:
BTW: On earlier trips, while driving at speed of 100-110, I have seen cars such as Santro and i10 easily overtaking me. I wonder how stable are those cars at these high speeds.
Santro and i 10 over 100, lolzzz,.. I dont have words..

Quote:
On another note, I am look at getting Synthetic oil this time. What is the recommended brand and cost?
I am quiet happy with castrol edge, costed me Rs.2900 for 4 Litres.

Quote:
Yup, at anything above say 80-100 the tyre noise is really very high. I also find the car becoming a bit light at around 140 and wonder how safe it would be to go way above that.
stock tyres are CRAP, get a set of PP2, S-Drives or atleast A-Drive R1s in 205s..

Though, tire noise of S-drives is......

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd November 2011 at 15:16.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:27   #375
BHPian

The max I have taken mine is 185 on the expressway, it was the night of the TBHP (Sunny Da Dhaba) meet, and this was 'slow' considering I didn't push owing to the rains and it was past midnight.

100/120 happens at times even in city on a clear stretch, easily.

Though I have recently started feeling the tires losing grip on smooth bends at higher speeds, like a bit of bounce and lateral shift. It's an unsettling feeling at high speeds, for e.g. on the IIT bend, JVLR, I had to apply brakes and slow down owing to just this.

Tires are the culprits, cant say broader are a must, also since I only get 7-8.5 kmpl in stock ones, but a set of performance tires in same spec and rating would be heavenly. Scary thought getting broader tires, might start returning 5 kmpl.

Usually I don't mind even a Nano overtaking me, but on occasion I have taken on a vRS, Civic and a diesel Passat (with K&N badge) lately. Take my word for it, the Cedia is like a Tasmanian Devil, just push it a little and it will dig it's heels and go up against any big car out there.

While with the Passat I switched off the AC and it was an altogether different car, faster, softer, swifter even felt lighter. That's about the only time I switched it off.

Stopping is an issue for me only at low speeds, requires pumping. Had to slam the brakes hard just yesterday as some poor fellow lost balance of his scooter and fell ahead of me, the wheels made a jarring noise and dragged forward upon braking, not skidding but more like churning and moving slightly against resistance.

But at high speeds the car just comes to a halt, no problem there at all.

That said, for attaining high speeds 3rd and 4th are the strongest gears on this one, and 5th is just for the top end cherry, and I have never had to redline it yet.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks