Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 11:25   #406
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

@khoj: This is super neat, just sent the car today for suspension and brakes issue. Will ask the Aquest guys to check for the Aircon filter and will get it installed if not already there.

@GC: Hey GC, what was that setting for the calipers you mentioned again? The sound from rear suspension has grown and let's hope the Aquest guys can resolve the same.

My list of issues (summarizing since ownership) to them has been as foll.:

1. Fuel Pump failed on 29th March at 3000 kms.

2. Brakes are ineffective at times and require a pumping action to bring car to halt. (specially at low speeds)

3. Car rolls backwards when parked on slope/incline with Hand Brake deployed, and the brake lever has to be pulled really hard, or gear engaged for it to stand still.

4. Engine returns a slight mechanical shudder and whirring sound sometimes, when stationary in traffic, and the RPM meter dips and comes back again after a choking-whirring sound from engine, happened again recently.

5. Rattling/Knocking sounds from all four wheels/suspension, specially loud from rear wheels when they go over short bumps or slight uneven roads (rear left tire goes harder and stiffer over bumps as compared to rear right)

6. The stock Potenzas have slightly hardened already, and I have done only 12000 kms so far. The ride is stiffer now and I have to keep tire pressure at 29 psi. They definitely don't seem a good choice of tire, the car could do better with Michelin Primacy in same size and speed rating, in my opinion.

7. The brake pedal has started making a squishing sound when pressed and depressed.

8. The mileage is not much of my concern but the car returns only about 7 kmpl in city driving with 100% AC.

9. The steering feedback has increased, and every little bump or slight pebble on the road is felt as a jerk on the steering. The steering goes all over the place when going over slight uneven roads and becomes very unstable.

That said, let's see what comes through.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:00   #407
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
@GC: Hey GC, what was that setting for the calipers you mentioned again? The sound from rear suspension has grown and let's hope the Aquest guys can resolve the same.
The setting I mentioned was for getting the spongy brakes at low speeds put right.. Its basically to do with the brake pistons. Who ever is working on the car, ask them to open the brakes on each side (without opening the brake fluid container cap) and push the brake pedal from inside, this will make the brake piston come out. Now push the pistions back manually only enough (Brake fulid container cap again closed..v imp) to make way for pads. This should do the trick, did it in friends civic as I said earlier.. I am not able to get hold of the article I read regarding this, will search for it extensively on net. It was for a subaru impreza..

Before all this, ask them to disconnect the vacumm pipe from the master cyliner for 5 mins and put it back.. Also reset the ECU by removing the battery or reset the ABS using the OBD (the diagnose machine that ASC have).

Drive your car for alteast 5 kms to see the difference.. Your car should be ready to stop the moment you push the pedal..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th November 2011 at 13:04.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 13:19   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The setting I mentioned was for getting the spongy brakes at low speeds put right.. Its basically to do with the brake pistons. Who ever is working on the car, ask them to open the brakes on each side (without opening the brake fluid container cap) and push the brake pedal from inside, this will make the brake piston come out. Now push the pistions back manually only enough (Brake fulid container cap again closed..v imp) to make way for pads. This should do the trick, did it in friends civic as I said earlier.. I am not able to get hold of the article I read regarding this, will search for it extensively on net. It was for a subaru impreza..

Before all this, ask them to disconnect the vacumm pipe from the master cyliner for 5 mins and put it back.. Also reset the ECU by removing the battery or reset the ABS using the OBD (the diagnose machine that ASC have).

Drive your car for alteast 5 kms to see the difference.. Your car should be ready to stop the moment you push the pedal..
Thanks GC, read it out to the service guy, word to word. Of course starting with disconnecting the vacuum pipe, he said he will get the same done.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:06   #409
BHPian

@khoj: Checked with the service guys, and yes the AC filter is installed in mine and comes standard now.

@GC: The brakes are not spongy anymore, will drive some more before final verdict.

Ok, so about the issues:

They did some 'Rear Suspension Retorque' and the sound is gone. The car is again quiet as a cat.

The service manager Vinay told me the lower arm in the rear suspension had excess play ad was knocking on either side. Well, he fixed it and checked all bushing and links.

The ECU was reset and so was the ABS. He cleaned the throttle body and also checked all plugs for gap etc.

ECU reset required removing battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting, and idling the car at 3000 rpm for 5 minutes upon reconnecting. That's advised whenever resetting.

The fuel was low in my car and the staff went on to enlighten me on the two most nagging issues that are reported in cars in Mumbai:

1. Fuel Pump failure (tell me about it)
2. Rear Suspension issues

According to them the Cedia should not be run on near-empty, especially once after the low fuel light has come on, to avoid Fuel Pump issues. They said the HM guys slate it as adulterated fuel, but that is not exactly the case. It is something to do with the Cedia's fuel tank being divided and the low-fuel running that causes most failures.

They also brought to my notice how the HM guys had to come up with a child-part since many service stations (GN Automotive was named particularly) were trying to replace faulty pumps with 'local made' ones, and these are available aplenty at a fraction of the earlier cost which was about 27k. (the child part, armature, costs about 6k)

The other common issue is with the rear suspension, to which they said one should get it checked every time the car is up for service, to ensure peace of mind.

These two apart there is very little else that needs special attention in the car.

Oh, and the recent lot now comes with MRF tires, though the service guys recommend the stock Potenzas religiously.

The service guys also said the Cedia is probably the safest car on the Indian roads and can go up against any big car, and make it look bad. They happen to have a Kiirus modded Cedia, for tests, and it growls. Had seen it at the Autodrome showroom in Malad once, long back.

Last edited by mandheers : 16th November 2011 at 12:09.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:18   #410
Senior - BHPian

@mandheers: Good info. I am not sure what is the issue with the rear suspension in general though.
@GC: Do the older Cedia's also have a low fuel indicator? I remember mine was very low on fuel in July and yet there was no indicator light that came up anywhere.
How much of fuel is considered low? Is the fuel gauge just above the "E" mark low enough?
Old 16th November 2011, 12:39   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@mandheers: Good info. I am not sure what is the issue with the rear suspension in general though.
@GC: Do the older Cedia's also have a low fuel indicator? I remember mine was very low on fuel in July and yet there was no indicator light that came up anywhere.
How much of fuel is considered low? Is the fuel gauge just above the "E" mark low enough?
All Cedias come standard with the low fuel indicator, the indicator panel has been unchanged until the 2011 Cedias.

The amber light is at the extreme right corner, under the fuel indicator, and comes on in mine the moment the needle goes flat/parallel at E. There should be about 2-3 liters still in there somewhere at the light, not sure though.

The recent ones come with digital gauges combination etc. and looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-meter.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 15:28   #412
BHPian

Quote:
^As per my information and testing, caliper pins will make sound only without braking. If you put your foot lightly on the brake pedal, then the sound would disappear. Please try this and write back.
Meanwhile, another test to check the caliper is here.
I tried this test but could not hear any sound while shaking the car from behind. noise comes irrespective of braking. I need to give up and show it again to service centre. There is only one service centre in bangalore at hosur road which is very far from my home and hence it is getting delayed to fix and I was trying my hand. Is there any shop near whitefield, bangalore which can fix such issues?
Old 16th November 2011, 15:44   #413
BHPian

Quote:
All Cedias come standard with the low fuel indicator, the indicator panel has been unchanged until the 2011 Cedias.

The amber light is at the extreme right corner, under the fuel indicator, and comes on in mine the moment the needle goes flat/parallel at E. There should be about 2-3 liters still in there somewhere at the light, not sure though.

The recent ones come with digital gauges combination etc. and looks like this:
The low fuel light comes on when there's less than 10 litres of fuel in the car. Thought i'd let you know.
sukrit7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 16:10   #414
Senior - BHPian

On 31 October, I wrote a mail to Mitsubishi (Thanks to Sukrit for the idea) regarding the clockspring issue. I got a revert back on 1st November at 1 PM stating that they consider my case as a one off case and are ready to give me 50% off on the part. However, they added that any such request in future will not be entertained (atleast from me for this car ) as the car originally have 2 years/40k kms of warranty.

The part arrived last monday and I got it replaced today. It costs around 12,200 and 200 for labour. 50% was waved off from 12,200 and I got the clock spring at 6,100 plus 200 labour. Also got the car washed, total damage, 6,600. I am not sure if any other company would have entertained such request for an over 4 year old car with almost 80k on the clock. So, a big thumbs up to HM-Mitsubishi from my side .

In the picture, the yellow part is the clock spring, the old one, new one in the second pic on the seat...

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0762.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0763.jpg

Quote:
Checked with the service guys, and yes the AC filter is installed in mine and comes standard now.
Great, now you can spend those 2,400 rupees on getting the spoiler painted..lolzzz..

Quote:
@GC: The brakes are not spongy anymore, will drive some more before final verdict.
Glad to hear that, do update when if and when you feel that they are perfect..

Quote:
They did some 'Rear Suspension Retorque' and the sound is gone. The car is again quiet as a cat.

The service manager Vinay told me the lower arm in the rear suspension had excess play ad was knocking on either side. Well, he fixed it and checked all bushing and links.

The other common issue is with the rear suspension, to which they said one should get it checked every time the car is up for service, to ensure peace of mind.
I havent heard of any complaints regarding the rear suspension of cedia.. In fact, neither of the cars I know have got their rear suspensions ever touched..

Quote:
According to them the Cedia should not be run on near-empty, especially once after the low fuel light has come on, to avoid Fuel Pump issues. They said the HM guys slate it as adulterated fuel, but that is not exactly the case. It is something to do with the Cedia's fuel tank being divided and the low-fuel running that causes most failures.
Practically, one shouldnt run any car on low fuel, its written in owners manual too, if the fuel pump sucks air, it can result in pump failure..Also, running on low fuel means that all the dirt settled at the bottom of the tank goes into the engine..

Only once did my cedia stall when fuel went nil, was running to hospital in the morning after a late night run (which consumed most of the reserve fuel) and the route I took, there was no fuel pump on the left for good 20kms. The car stopped at just 3-400 meters from the pump, but still I had to go get the fuel in bottle..

Quote:
The service guys also said the Cedia is probably the safest car on the Indian roads and can go up against any big car, and make it look bad.
You Bet..

Quote:
Yes they do, as you see in the pic, the first red line I have marked is where the light comes on, here you still have 9-10 L in the tank. At the Bottom red line point, there is about 4-5L of fuel left.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-dscf1657.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th November 2011 at 16:19.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 00:01   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service guys also said the Cedia is probably the safest car on the Indian roads and can go up against any big car, and make it look bad. They happen to have a Kiirus modded Cedia, for tests, and it growls. Had seen it at the Autodrome showroom in Malad once, long back.
On the issue of safety, yes this car is built like a tank. One can gauge this by the weight of the hood itself which acts as one of the impact absorbing members. The strong build continues from the front and rear crash absorbing cross members to the side impact beams, everything looks over specified (good for us) compared to what I have seen in some other sedans in the same segment but with higher sticker prices.

Front member.
Do note the largish cross section of the high strength steel blank towards the bottom of the condensor. In 99% vehicles this space is blank.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-dsc02468.jpg

Behind the member you can see the bonnet spring at the top, the air bag sensor (black balloon/knob) and the twin horns below. See the distance between the member and the condensor, lots of room for the member to absorb forces and deflect while minimizing damage to condensor / radiator etc.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-dsc02470.jpg

Rear member, curves all the way around.
Again note the full size body panel. This is again missing in most other cars, where the cross member is mounted directly on to the chassis. You can well imagine which would be better in case of an impact.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-dsc02541.jpg

Here is the side cross bar

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-noise-kill.jpg

Another perspective and this is much thicker than what you would find in cars in the same segment.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-really-solid-bar.jpg

As for the Kiirus tuned Cedia. It growls because of the BMC air intake. I did get my car tuned by Kiirus but it did not work for me, so had it reversed.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 02:35   #416
Senior - BHPian

^^ @Khoj:

I have always found every Mitsubishi product very well-engineered. Whether they are making cars, lifts, rail coaches or even Pencils and Pens from 'uni'.

People are willing to pay so much premium for a Fortuner, if only Mitsubishi got its act together in India, I would be very happy to own one. Alas, none of their current vehicles are within budget or even properly priced. After owning one rare car, I can't own another rare car like the Cedia.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:51   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I tried this test but could not hear any sound while shaking the car from behind. noise comes irrespective of braking. I need to give up and show it again to service centre. There is only one service centre in bangalore at hosur road which is very far from my home and hence it is getting delayed to fix and I was trying my hand. Is there any shop near whitefield, bangalore which can fix such issues?
@avimal: I am not sure about Bangalore, but if you were in Pune I know someone who could help identify the cause. Sorry, can't suggest anything better this time.

Quote:
On 31 October, I wrote a mail to Mitsubishi (Thanks to Sukrit for the idea) regarding the clockspring issue. I got a revert back on 1st November at 1 PM stating that they consider my case as a one off case and are ready to give me 50% off on the part. However, they added that any such request in future will not be entertained (atleast from me for this car ) as the car originally have 2 years/40k kms of warranty.
Very good to hear that. Did you send a "change of owner" letter to HM when you purchased the vehicle? There is a format for that in the owner's manual, I think. I am planning to do that to inform HM about change of ownership.

Quote:
Yes they do, as you see in the pic, the first red line I have marked is where the light comes on, here you still have 9-10 L in the tank. At the Bottom red line point, there is about 4-5L of fuel left.
Probably I have not crossed that limit.
@mandheers: I will try and see where is the LED on my instrument cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
On the issue of safety, yes this car is built like a tank. One can gauge this by the weight of the hood itself which acts as one of the impact absorbing members.
Very nice photos. Thank you.
One aspect I don't like about the car is the wafer thin boot lid. The closing action is also not very re-assuring.
In contrast, the hood is very heavy and the doors close with a thud (though not to the extent of a Skoda).
The interior parts are also well put-together and of good quality - specially plastics. No cost cutting that I could spot. to Mitsubishi.
Old 17th November 2011, 10:27   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
On the issue of safety, yes this car is built like a tank. One can gauge this by the weight of the hood itself which acts as one of the impact absorbing members.
Exactly, I did mention this in my Long term ownership report posted in May (could be found on page 11). I ll post a quote from there..

Quote:
The built quality of the Cedia is something I can vouch for, its better than the Civic/Polo, of course I don’t doubt the strong chassis/crumple zones of Civic/Polo but the outside sheets of metal is not as good as that of Cedia. Cant say what results cash tests will yield for these cars (Polo is 5 star rated and so will be the new Civic), but of personal experience, in case of small damages, the cedia takes hit much better than Civic/Polo. Bumpers are of excellent quality, the ones in Civic/Polo tears in the smallest of crash but the ones in Cedia tear apart the other vehicle. Added to a much better extended bumper, is a front cross and a head light support made of metal. This IMHO is much better than the plastic head light support in new cars amid strict pedestrian norms in later years. Move to the rear and you have a 6” thick metal support running across the car’s back. This is insulated with thick thermacol on which the bumper fits. Friend’s cedia (stationary at a police check post) was hit by a qualis with bull guard at more than 40kmph and all that Cedia had was a 2” crack on rear bumper. The qualis had a broken bull guard, bumper and head lights. My friend and I were pleasantly surprised to see the damage.
Quote:
Front member.
Do note the largish cross section of the high strength steel blank towards the bottom of the condensor. In 99% vehicles this space is blank.
Ya, for most cars these days, the head light support assembly (complete front steel support) is made of plastic, which is due to pedestrian safety norms. You will only find the front black cross to save the day. So, even in case of smaller crashes, the damage is huge.. i10, i20, polo, vento, and I think even new swift and ANHC have plastic supports..

Quote:
Very good to hear that. Did you send a "change of owner" letter to HM when you purchased the vehicle? There is a format for that in the owner's manual, I think. I am planning to do that to inform HM about change of ownership.
I just got the owners name changed in the ASC records, (they ask for the new RC of the car). Later, the extended warranty form was filled with my name and the warranty booklet came in my name..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th November 2011 at 10:29.
Old 17th November 2011, 11:03   #419
Senior - BHPian

And finally the damage so far , 80k kms on the clock..

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-cedia.jpg
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 16:08   #420
BHPian

Quote:
And finally the damage so far , 80k kms on the clock..

Attachment 843366
That reminds me, await your update and feedback on the K&N.

I remember you installed it and also mentioned throttle improved etc. and yes the growl. The day after that double-ton on a near 'empty' tank!

Most Viewed