Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 16:47   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
That reminds me, await your update and feedback on the K&N.

I remember you installed it and also mentioned throttle improved etc. and yes the growl.
Ya, the throttle got a little better and so did the growl. But this time I am not too sure if its worth the money spent (Rs.3500). Will I recommend it.. uhhhh.. NO. Especially considering I need to buy the cleaning kit which will cost another grand and then I need to clean it every 5k kms for best performance..I'd rather be happy to plonk in a new paper filter for Rs.350 every 10K KMS..

If its got to be K&N, its got to be the typhoon. Have driven ACE_F355 (Rohit's) civic with one and the difference compared to a stock civic was remarkable..

I'd recommend you let the car be on normal filter till your car is in warranty and then get a K&N typhoon..

Quote:
The day after that double-ton on a near 'empty' tank!
Lolzz.. I know it was 1:30 at night and only few pumps are open, the next one open was just 2 mins away from where I did the double ton..well almost..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th November 2011 at 16:52.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 12:29   #422
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

In between, when I went to get the clock spring changed on wednesday, I saw a 2006 maroon cedia with 46k on the clock with a busted engine head.. The estimate given to the owner was around 2 lacs. The owner wanted to sell the car and an adviser in a funny way pointed a finger at me and said.."he buys lot of cedias, you can talk to him"

The owner thought I was a dealer, but I made it clear to him that I have bought cedia for myself and for family.. I told the owner that one can find clean 2006 elegance examples for under 3 and no way can he get 2 lacs for his car which has a busted head. He asked my for a quote but I refused (neither did I want the car nor did I want to look bad by quoting some 1 lac for the car, which he bought for almost 11 lacs..). But he insisted hard and I quoted him 1 lac for the car for its current condition. He wasnt shocked, may be he was expecting it. He said he will let me know in a day or 2 after taking more quotes. I said ok..

Called my mechanic raju and asked him to enquire about the head of cedia and valves and guides. Raju called back in half an hour to confirm that the whole job should cost some 40-45 thousand. And, I was like, now we're talking.. Told the owner to give me a call before he sells the car, may be I can stretch till 1.3 and get it back in shape for 45k and add a CNG for another 30k.. 2 lacs in total. Sounds not bad..

I am not sure if the owner will call but if he does, then ...

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th November 2011 at 12:32.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:41   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
In between, when I went to get the clock spring changed on wednesday, I saw a 2006 maroon cedia with 46k on the clock with a busted engine head.. The estimate given to the owner was around 2 lacs. The owner wanted to sell the car and an adviser in a funny way pointed a finger at me and said.."he buys lot of cedias, you can talk to him"

The owner thought I was a dealer, but I made it clear to him that I have bought cedia for myself and for family.. I told the owner that one can find clean 2006 elegance examples for under 3 and no way can he get 2 lacs for his car which has a busted head. He asked my for a quote but I refused (neither did I want the car nor did I want to look bad by quoting some 1 lac for the car, which he bought for almost 11 lacs..). But he insisted hard and I quoted him 1 lac for the car for its current condition. He wasnt shocked, may be he was expecting it. He said he will let me know in a day or 2 after taking more quotes. I said ok..

Called my mechanic raju and asked him to enquire about the head of cedia and valves and guides. Raju called back in half an hour to confirm that the whole job should cost some 40-45 thousand. And, I was like, now we're talking.. Told the owner to give me a call before he sells the car, may be I can stretch till 1.3 and get it back in shape for 45k and add a CNG for another 30k.. 2 lacs in total. Sounds not bad..

I am not sure if the owner will call but if he does, then ...
But do you really need another Cedia? Or you being plain wicked.

If the deal doesn't fall through for you then the least you could do is introduce the poor chap to Raju. At least he could get the job done in way lesser than 2 lacs, and retain his investment as well.

Just saying!
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 12:41   #424
BHPian

Wow...are the rates that bad...I knew cedia depreciated a lot, but not soo much.....

How much does the typhoon cost BTW?
Old 18th November 2011, 13:05   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
But do you really need another Cedia? Or you being plain wicked.
lolzz...I wasnt looking for another cedia as such, but last month I was almost about to buy my neighbours 2001 model esteem with 80k on the clock with 35k on CNG for 1 lac rupees, but somehow, I couldnt convince myself to sell the old 800 (First car, Family too is very attached, but then we have parking issues, so cant buy a new one without selling 1 car). But then looking at this, a 2006 cedia for 2 lacs with CNG is mouth watering... Run has been too much (in total over 4k kms including cedia,polo and 800) and Petrol prices are sky high, brother will need traveling atleast 60-80kms every day in 2 months or so, which will take the running of Polo itself to 3k per month, so we need something we can rip for 2-3 years and sell it..And at the same time, neither do i want a CNG in my car nor does my brother in his polo..lolzz

Quote:
If the deal doesn't fall through for you then the least you could do is introduce the poor chap to Raju. At least he could get the job done in way lesser than 2 lacs, and retain his investment as well.
Haha, sure, I had that in mind, if at all he calls back and I dont close the deal, then may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Wow...are the rates that bad...I knew cedia depreciated a lot, but not soo much.....
This time its nothing to do with cedia, Things have gone pretty bad after the fuel price hikes in last 6 months or so, the market sentiments for petrol cars is bad, be it any Brand. You can easily get a 2006 civic for under 4.5 lacs, a 2007 for under 5.2 and a 2008 for under 6. And here we are talking Honda. So if a common man gets a civic for under 4.5, will he/she pay over 3-3.5 for cedia.. NO... Saw an advertisement for 2008 maroon civic S MT on friday in HT and the asking price was 5.4 Lacs..

Quote:
How much does the typhoon cost BTW?
I think around 17-18k..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th November 2011 at 13:13.
Old 18th November 2011, 14:21   #426
BHPian

Gaurav man, you're going to buy another Cedia?
God save you
And why would it cost 2 lakhs anyway? Was the block damaged?
I actually remember all the prices now.
Old 18th November 2011, 20:00   #427
Senior - BHPian

What intrigues me is how did the chap manage to blow the head at only 46000 klilometers ?

@Typhoon

An alternate to K&N typhoon is the air intake kit from Pipercross. This is adirect fit on the Cedia and costs approx 12K,. There is yet another from BMC which is mounted on the Kiirus tuned Cedias an that is available for approx. 16K.
Old 18th November 2011, 20:24   #428
Senior - BHPian

@Gaurav: I too called up Raju today for some work on my Lancer and he got confussed if I was talking about a Lancer-Cedia. So this is the story.

Your idea is incredibly tempting - makes a lot of sense to heart as well as the head.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 01:14   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
And why would it cost 2 lakhs anyway? Was the block damaged?
I havent seen the estimate myself, but things I know that need changing are head, head gaskit, valves, guides, etc..With labour I was told the estimate is just about 2 lacs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What intrigues me is how did the chap manage to blow the head at only 46000 klilometers ?
No Idea, in fact, the guy seemed an average joe and wouldnt have abused the car at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Your idea is incredibly tempting - makes a lot of sense to heart as well as the head.
I know , I hope he calls..

@Mav 2000: I checked with Rohit and he told me that prices of typhoons have come down in past couple of years and it now costs about 13k.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th November 2011 at 01:16.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:50   #430
BHPian

@Gaurav, others,

Need some tips on oil change for Cedia 2 year / 40,000 km service. Is it really required to use flush, additives (I believe from Bardahl) during the oil change? AFAIK, they never used a flush in the past. I plan to stick to mineral oil for now.

The 2 year service cost itself is pretty high (compared to my earlier services). All oils, brake fluid are to be changed I'm told.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:01   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
@Gaurav, others,

Need some tips on oil change for Cedia 2 year / 40,000 km service. Is it really required to use flush, additives (I believe from Bardahl) during the oil change? AFAIK, they never used a flush in the past. I plan to stick to mineral oil for now.

The 2 year service cost itself is pretty high (compared to my earlier services). All oils, brake fluid are to be changed I'm told.
Yes, all the consumables are changed every 40k kms except gear oil, which is changed at 1 lac kms.. You may want to check post no 44 and 290 on my this thread for details of work carried out at 40k and 80k kms respectively.

If your car has done substantially less kms than 40k, then you might just get the engine oil and filter changed and leave the remaining stuff for another year. However, please consider your warranty or extended warrnaty status in the same case. It can be void if you dont follow service schedules..

You can choose not to opt for fuel line cleaning, if you trust the fuel in your area. I got it done at some 37k and havent done it for last 43k k kms. Will get it done in another 10k kms kms or so..

EDIT: you can also choose to say no to Bardhal treatments..

@Khoj Sir: I sent you a text on 971 number, I guess you are not using it as you're in delhi. So, will ask the question here only, the left low beam of my car isnt working, will need to change the bulb. Some time back, you recommended OSRAM Night breakers, did you manage to find them somewhere, I thought I might just change both the bulbs this time. Also will it be a good idea to use Philips White light bulbs, but that I will only do after the foggy season ends. Will appreciate suggestions on the same from everyone here..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st November 2011 at 13:22.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:24   #432
BHPian

Quote:

@Typhoon

An alternate to K&N typhoon is the air intake kit from Pipercross. This is adirect fit on the Cedia and costs approx 12K,. There is yet another from BMC which is mounted on the Kiirus tuned Cedias an that is available for approx. 16K.
Then there is the Green Cotton, air filter and induction kit. Together for around 16k again.

Comes via Pete's here in India and I have seen quite a few cars with the badge.

The Pete's team quoted 5.8k for the filter alone and said there is an assured 3-4% increase in power and better FE. It is washable and re-usable for a 100 thousand kms is what they say, and there is no separate cleaning/oiling kit required for them either.

The Induction Kit (which i assume is the air intake, do correct me if wrong) is a direct bolt on for the Cedia.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

EDIT: Sorry, did some more searching and found this: http://store.petes.in/section.php?xSec=8

So maybe these Green Cottons come with cleaning kits too.

Last edited by mandheers : 21st November 2011 at 13:35.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:36   #433
Senior - BHPian

This "Green Cotton" looks identical to Piper Cross and I will not be surprised if they are the same. I am writing to Cosworth to find out if they have a drop in filter element for the Cedia. I already have their induction kit in my Swift Zxi and based on that experience would take the 3~4% claimed power boost with a pinch of salt. Of course there is a distinct feel of more power but that is more 'cause of the meaty growl, I think.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 13:48   #434
BHPian

Quote:
This "Green Cotton" looks identical to Piper Cross and I will not be surprised if they are the same. I am writing to Cosworth to find out if they have a drop in filter element for the Cedia. I already have their induction kit in my Swift Zxi and based on that experience would take the 3~4% claimed power boost with a pinch of salt. Of course there is a distinct feel of more power but that is more 'cause of the meaty growl, I think.
You had the Cosworth induction kit in your Swift if I remember from the earlier pics. Oh, or maybe you referring to Cosworth's assurance of 3-4%, and I got it confused with Pete's assurance for the Green Cotton replacement filter.

Concluding from GC's first hand feel of the K&N, I would rather stick with the stock filter. It costs next to nothing and the first one I replaced (also lying in my boot) was not that clogged/dirty either.

Thanks to GC I used to get it a 'blow' job at the local car wash, every 1-2k kms, but also ensuring they blew the air from the clean side, to not clog it further.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:21   #435
BHPian

Gaurav,

Thanks. I was quoted almost 8k (without the anti-rust coating that you opted for). I've asked them for details.

BTW last time I had mentioned the brake shudder when slowing down at high speeds - they just cleaned and lubricated the brakes. This time they tell me they want to skim all 4 discs. They'll charge some 350 per disc. I haven't seen the discs myself - the workshop is very far from my place. Should I just ask them to go ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Yes, all the consumables are changed every 40k kms except gear oil, which is changed at 1 lac kms.. You may want to check post no 44 and 290 on my this thread for details of work carried out at 40k and 80k kms respectively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks