Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 15:41   #46
AVR
BHPian

Whistling sound from engine

Guys,

Safari was on a 1500 km 4 day trip in Rajasthan and MP with family and driver. Everything went well and will be touching the 6-figure mark soon but I have noticed a whistling sound which gets more pronounced with higher revs. Am assuming its from the Turbocharger? Is it a bad omen?

Unfortunately my driver's the next Schumacher when he drives and also made it worse by revving the engine hard before shutting off the engine (conventional logic) which may have been counterproductive for the high-revving Turbo.

What could it be? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 14th December 2009, 21:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Guys,

Safari was on a 1500 km 4 day trip in Rajasthan and MP with family and driver. Everything went well and will be touching the 6-figure mark soon but I have noticed a whistling sound which gets more pronounced with higher revs. Am assuming its from the Turbocharger? Is it a bad omen?

Unfortunately my driver's the next Schumacher when he drives and also made it worse by revving the engine hard before shutting off the engine (conventional logic) which may have been counterproductive for the high-revving Turbo.

What could it be? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Adi

Whistling sound comes as soon as the turbo kick's-in.
Its totally normal. BTW congrats on your ride and Happy new year.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:37   #48
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Whistling sound comes as soon as the turbo kick's-in.
Its totally normal. BTW congrats on your ride and Happy new year.
This noise is there on idle also. That's what concerns me. Not sure if its the turbo or some hose pipe leakage!!
Old 15th December 2009, 14:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This noise is there on idle also. That's what concerns me. Not sure if its the turbo or some hose pipe leakage!!
Is the sound like some air leaking e.g. Phsssssss or else get it checked at TASC better option.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:34   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

whistling sound normally is from the Turbo. Turbo's are offically not repairable units, but there will be a local mechanic who would replace the rubber and some other parts in a turbo to bring it back in shape, a kit for this is available. But the technician must be good.

I suggest your keep using the vehicle till the sound get unbearable - increasing gradually - that is if it is confirmed that it is a turbo sound. This can also be a from a leaky turno horse, so that needs to be checked first.

Turbo repair kit with repair could set you back by about Rs. 6K - not in an authorized centre.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:36   #51
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Is the sound like some air leaking e.g. Phsssssss or else get it checked at TASC better option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
whistling sound normally is from the Turbo. Turbo's are offically not repairable units, but there will be a local mechanic who would replace the rubber and some other parts in a turbo to bring it back in shape, a kit for this is available. But the technician must be good.

I suggest your keep using the vehicle till the sound get unbearable - increasing gradually - that is if it is confirmed that it is a turbo sound. This can also be a from a leaky turno horse, so that needs to be checked first.

Turbo repair kit with repair could set you back by about Rs. 6K - not in an authorized centre.
There seems to be a wet spot on the turbo hose which is recent so highly likely it could be a turbo hose leakage. Am hoping there's nothing wrong with the Turbo itself!
Old 15th December 2009, 21:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

I heard somewhere that turbo's can be repaired.

Quote:
There seems to be a wet spot on the turbo hose which is recent so highly likely it could be a turbo hose leakage. Am hoping there's nothing wrong with the Turbo itself!
Turbo's donot give up so easily, they are made for miles and miles of travelling atleast those old Tata turbo's. and I have yet to see any turbo failure in any of the TATA SUV's i have came with.
Turbo is not the culprit here, I am sure it is something about Turbo Hose(pipes).
Old 30th December 2009, 16:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends ,
Can someone tell me how to remove the catalytic converter, I asked the TASC mechanic they said that if i remove it then Car would sound louder and is there a way to clean catalytic converter.
I am going to change rear tyres of my safari TCIC ,what are the best tyre brands i should look for and they should also be cheaper. I am looking for tubed tyres. should i fit the front tyres(almost new only 25000kms ran), to back and shift for newer tyres on front.
Old 31st December 2009, 02:28   #54
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Hey friends ,
Can someone tell me how to remove the catalytic converter, I asked the TASC mechanic they said that if i remove it then Car would sound louder and is there a way to clean catalytic converter.
I am going to change rear tyres of my safari TCIC ,what are the best tyre brands i should look for and they should also be cheaper. I am looking for tubed tyres. should i fit the front tyres(almost new only 25000kms ran), to back and shift for newer tyres on front.
A TASC mechanic may not be your best bet for such jugaad. Rather ask a local garage chap to just put a big rod through the cat converter and break the mesh which must be clogged big time because of usage.

About tyres there's an entire thread about Safari tyres "All about Safari tyres" though if you ask me just go ahead and buy the tubeless Yokohama Geolandar 235/75 R15 A/T. Awesome tyre and its tubeless. Any particular reason for buying tubed tyres? It is typically better to have a newer set at the front than the rear.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 31st December 2009, 12:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hey friends ,
I have put Michelin tubeless LTX A/T and it is working very well.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A TASC mechanic may not be your best bet for such jugaad. Rather ask a local garage chap to just put a big rod through the cat converter and break the mesh which must be clogged big time because of usage.

About tyres there's an entire thread about Safari tyres "All about Safari tyres" though if you ask me just go ahead and buy the tubeless Yokohama Geolandar 235/75 R15 A/T. Awesome tyre and its tubeless. Any particular reason for buying tubed tyres? It is typically better to have a newer set at the front than the rear.

Cheers,
Adi
Is the catalytic conv. an non-detachable part of silencer, should i cut it and put a new pipe to foll the gap.
I have Michelin tubeless in front, so i am going for tubed ones on rear(tipical indian mentality).
One more ques.:
"Are the rear tyre different from front ones (like in trucks)".
and I heard two tyre types 1) soft compound 2)hard compound???
what are they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have put Michelin tubeless LTX A/T and it is working very well.
Thanks.
I will definetly choose them at the end if i didnot find a Yoko or better.
1) soft compound 2)hard compound???
what are they.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

A problem appeared in my Safari from last few days

"The oil is leaking from somewhere below the engine when i checked it the whole diffrential(or gearbox or what that big thing is that connects the differential rod with engine) was full of oil, now can any body help me in sorting out what actually the problem is??"
Old 25th January 2010, 20:55   #58
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Is the catalytic conv. an non-detachable part of silencer, should i cut it and put a new pipe to foll the gap.
I have Michelin tubeless in front, so i am going for tubed ones on rear(tipical indian mentality).
One more ques.:
"Are the rear tyre different from front ones (like in trucks)".
and I heard two tyre types 1) soft compound 2)hard compound???
what are they.

I will definetly choose them at the end if i didnot find a Yoko or better.
1) soft compound 2)hard compound???
what are they.
The catcon is not a separate part but is contained within the exhaust assembly in form of a mesh. By detaching that part of the assembly and breaking the mesh you'll notice a marked difference in performance as with time the mesh gets completely clogged and results in increased back pressure.

Not sure about soft compound v/s hard compound though what I understand is that two of the best options for the Safari include the Yokohama Geolandars and the Michelin LTX. Given that you are from Indore and the roads in MP even M/T (mud terrains) may not be a bad idea

Quote:
A problem appeared in my Safari from last few days

"The oil is leaking from somewhere below the engine when i checked it the whole diffrential(or gearbox or what that big thing is that connects the differential rod with engine) was full of oil, now can any body help me in sorting out what actually the problem is??"
I think a seal has given way. Get it filled up and see if the leakage is significant or not. If its not significant you might want to live with it till you can afford to send it to the workshop for a couple of days. Typically the leakage wont deteriorate too fast so you'll have time to react. In my safari one of the engine oil seals has a small leakage since the last 45000 kms and all I need to do is just monitor my oil levels on a weekly basis (which I would do anyways). The amount of effort involved in rectifying such issues may be much higher than the seriousness of the leak.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 25th January 2010, 21:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

I got the vehicle checked today at TASC, they said that it is a doesel leakage not oil leakage. They told me that Diesel is leaking heavily from the pump "200-300 gms on every morning below car", and quoted me 1000rs for whole repair job. I took the vehicle as-it-is untouched from TASC. Now, i will show it to a local pump wala and try to do some sort of jugaad.

Quote:
The catcon is not a separate part but is contained within the exhaust assembly in form of a mesh. By detaching that part of the assembly and breaking the mesh you'll notice a marked difference in performance as with time the mesh gets completely clogged and results in increased back pressure.

Not sure about soft compound v/s hard compound though what I understand is that two of the best options for the Safari include the Yokohama Geolandars and the Michelin LTX. Given that you are from Indore and the roads in MP even M/T (mud terrains) may not be a bad idea

I think a seal has given way. Get it filled up and see if the leakage is significant or not. If its not significant you might want to live with it till you can afford to send it to the workshop for a couple of days. Typically the leakage wont deteriorate too fast so you'll have time to react. In my safari one of the engine oil seals has a small leakage since the last 45000 kms and all I need to do is just monitor my oil levels on a weekly basis (which I would do anyways). The amount of effort involved in rectifying such issues may be much higher than the seriousness of the leak.

Cheers,
Adi
BTW, roads in M.P are improving every day, now roads are only bad due to the construction work going on.
Old 25th January 2010, 22:26   #60
BHPian

My younger brother swears by TATA safari, he too, like others here think there is no better SUV than a TATA safari. AS a matter of fact, he persuaded 4 of his friends to buy TATA safari. Each one them bought it on my younger brothers recommendation. One of his oldest friend bought the 1.8L Safari more than 10 yrs ago, another bought the 3.0L version of safari, the other 2 bought the 2.2 L version of safari. The irronic thing, is that my father wont buy this SUV for my brother. Not that my father doesnt listen to my brothers advice when buying vehicles--Father doesnt think much of my opinion, but he values my younger brothers opinion-- but the moment my brother raises the need for an SUV, the very next moment my father urges him to drop the idea of a SUV!.
Sometimes, when one of those 4 friends who bought the Safari on my younger brothers recommendation , come to meet my younger brother, they allow him to drive thier Safari. Thats when my brother Need for Safari! is satiated.

Most Viewed