Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2005, 23:38   #1
BANNED

Chevrolet Optra LT BSIII with ABS

Hey guys,

Well today i took delivery of my Chevvy. While sitting there at the showroom and filling the forms i got a call from Toyota.. LOL.. he asked me what happened about my car buying. I told him that due to his failing to give me a drivable car for a test drive i have already gone in favor of the Optra. Then he said ohh no what have you done thats a horrible car. You know those people who bought the Ceilo are havinbg difficulties selling it for even Rs. 40k and the optra is also the same company. I told him you tell me one fault in Optra and i will tell you 10 faults in Corolla. Then i start an antenna which dates back to the 18th century. Tubeless tyres on a car of this standard. He tells me that Tubeless tyres are very dangeous. They blow up. Tube tyres dont. Thats why Toyota being a superb manufacturer hasnot provided. LOL.. then i explain him and he gets scared and cuts the phone. One thing i dont understand if the so called bursting of tubeless happens then why dont Innova have tube ones and also the Camry.

Anywayz i take the car and take her to fill her up. In a 60 Litre tank 59.5L of fuel goes in. That means a coke bottle of fuel was only left. I put Speed 91 Octane and am advised against reliance fuel since it has too high octane which is not advised. I read on the fuel tank that some liquid(read addictive) should be put 2 ml before 1000km and 1 ml after 1000kms. But due to it being unavaiable i will put it later. Anywayz the difficult part started. Running her in @ 60kmph. When suddely the ABS light comes on. I stop the car and restart and it dissapers. Then drive further on and i see ricks, taxis and motorbikes flying pass Montoya(errr me) Car had already logged 91 before i took her in my hands. Got the film done at Ray barrier for all the glasses including sun roof but while they were fitting the wipers started to work and they kept on. Not stopping only. I called up GM helpline and they gave me the helpline number of my dealer. I called him up and he told me some instructions. Still it didnot work. I called him and in 5 mins flat he was there at my service. He tried to do something but didnot work. Finally he removed the fuse and tomorow morining i will have to take the car to the dealer to get the wires checked.

The worst part of my Optra being it comes with Kumho rubber

Anywayz i want to know the following.

1) What does ABS light switching on indicate?

2) Does upgrading fog lights melt them(thats what the rya barrier guy told me) but i have seen some Optra same model as mine on some forum in which all lights includes brake lights inside lights and fogs, indicatotsall had been upgraded.

3) The handbrake light keeps coming up and thats happens as the hand brake keeps cuming slightly up. What to do about that???

Please throw some light on the above and help me.

By the way Head Lamp leaver comes with the car and i got a small teady on which its written i love my chevvy however i didnot get the extra bulbs and the First Aid kit. Will get that tommorow.
Cheers.

Edit - What is the best way to run the car in.

Last edited by Montoya : 10th June 2005 at 23:41. Reason: Run In
Old 11th June 2005, 00:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey montoya congratulations on your new car.
Funny hearing about TOYOTA salesman what was he thinking saying tubeless are bad than tubeone!

But please please please read the manual with family members/friends who will be driving her as this is the time when you can really screw your car

Quote:
1) What does ABS light switching on indicate?
some fault in ABS system, you will be advised to go to dealer by manual
Quote:
however i didnot get the extra bulbs and the First Aid kit. Will get that tommorow.
its a little late now but you should always check for everything before taking delivery (& don't sign untill everything is shown & u r satisfied)
but dealer will give it to you i guess

Quote:
Edit - What is the best way to run the car in.
read manual it will be mentioned in it
but in general don't push accl. more than half way
don't rev higher than half way

do post more details & photos
Old 11th June 2005, 00:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey dude
congrats on you purchase.just take car of it.keep the revs below 3000 rpm and dont go to fast.

waiting for some pics and a review

Rev
Old 11th June 2005, 00:37   #4
BANNED

Will pick manual tomm

Thanx Adya and Rev..

Well i havenot got the manual as well. The dealer told me that he will give it to me on first service since he had to add some extended warranty stuff. plus body coating/anti-rust/teflon will be done that time as well..

Well Toyotas name is only the reason why Corolla sells in India..

Yeah not pushing car but where is the manual to read lol.. read my signature.. LOL

pics and review will come later after i drive her more..

Going to dealer tomorow.. but he told me that due to dust coming in the sensors the light blinks and then goes off but if it doesnot go off then there is some problem in the ABS system..

by the way

Last edited by Montoya : 11th June 2005 at 00:38.
Old 11th June 2005, 00:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer told me that he will give it to me on first service since he had to add some extended warranty stuff
dealer might be taking you for a ride
I think when you get a new car it also includes manual (it is your right IMO)
it is like dealer saying i will fit seats in your car at 1st servicing
if you have GM all india customer support no then call them & tell this & then PM me GM india help line no (i need it since i also have a GM car)
Old 11th June 2005, 01:53   #6
BHPian

i suggest you speak directly to the company as there seems to be quiet a few probs and that to on a new car its best you talk to the company first before letting the showroom fellow tinker around to be on the safer side
Old 11th June 2005, 02:23   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! So many problems in a new car ? Boy, if I were you, the showroom people would be working their backsides off to get it right. And whats the deal with manual not being given man.....every car HAS to come with a manual! Extended warranty sounds like some piece of crap he's trying to shove down your throat.
Old 11th June 2005, 03:20   #8
BHPian

Hey Montoya, congrats on your new Chevy. Please post some pics.

Some dealers detain the manuals and when they do return, they retain all the free service coupons with them. Thats simply because they do not want you to visit any other dealer/authorised service station for your free services. They do this to earn the service fees the company pays a dealer/service station when you get your free services done.

There's something fishy about the dealer retaining the manual. Man you are supposed to go through that even before you unlock the car.

BTW, which is this dealer?
Old 11th June 2005, 08:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Car had already logged 91 before i took her in my hands.
Why is that? Did you ask them?
Quote:
but while they were fitting the wipers started to work and they kept on. Not stopping only.
Where did you get this done? At the dealer’s point? If yes then why didn’t you address this then?
Quote:
I called him and in 5 mins flat he was there at my service.
That’s the least he could do.
Quote:
He tried to do something but did not work. Finally he removed the fuse and tomorow morining i will have to take the car to the dealer to get the wires checked.
That’s his job? Trying to figure out something in middle of the road? Why didn’t he take the car back to service center?

Quote:
The worst part of my Optra being it comes with Kumho rubber
You should have told them about it during delivery. They could have given you GOODYEAR.
Quote:
What does ABS light switching on indicate?
IT INDICATES THAT THEY’VE PUSHED YOU A DEFECTIVE CAR.
Quote:
The handbrake light keeps coming up and thats happens as the hand brake keeps cuming slightly up. What to do about that???
SAME AS THE ABOVE.
Quote:
Well i havenot got the manual as well. The dealer told me that he will give it to me on first service since he had to add some extended warranty stuff. plus body coating/anti-rust/teflon will be done that time as well..
Quote:
however i didnot get the extra bulbs and the First Aid kit. Will get that tommorow.
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL US EXACTLY WHAT DID YOU GET AFTER PAYING 10 LACS +?
Quote:
Please throw some light on the above and help me.
Do you think it’s right on your part (after 647 post @ 13.53 posts per day) to overlook all these issues? That too while taking delivery? What was your state then? Far too excited to accept whatever rubbish they were shoving down? You were only interested to take the car out of the showroom in whatever form!
GM prescribes petrol additive (IFTEX G) and they ensure every car coming out of the showroom carrying one bottle. This bottle along with your spare bulb box kept in the pocket inside the luggage boot.
Dealer is giving you the manual during first service? Come on Montoya it’s high time you wake up. Who on earth heard this before? You’re talking about extended warranty? What about your immediate guarantee of getting a spotless car from the showroom?
Dealer has already registered your engine number/chassis number and Vehicle Identification Number (located at the base of your B pillar) (and in your manual if you get it). Technically they cannot give you a different car. That’s what they’ll tell you to save their interest.
Inform GM immediately. This dealer has taken you for a royal ride.
Quote:
By the way Head Lamp leaver comes with the car
What is that? Didn’t understand!
Quote:
and i got a small teady on which its written i love my chevvy
Possibly this is the only trouble free item you got from your dealer.

Montoya, Im sorry if I'm sounding rude but please take up all these issues firmly.
Old 11th June 2005, 09:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
What is that? Didn’t understand!
Rudra, he meant Head Light Leveler which comes standard now even with an M800.

Hey Montoya...Rudra is absolutely right, being an active T-Bhpian you should have been more careful while taking the delivery. Anyway, talk to GM and see to it that you get a replacement asap.

Good Luck!
Old 11th June 2005, 09:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

At times I think that we Indian's love to crib about the sad quality of the vehicles that we purchase and the bad service we get, mostly after we have shelled out the dough. It's high time all of us realise that our investments are our hard earned money and we have the right to spend it on the right things in the right condition...

Looking at your post Montoya you should have either refused delivery / driven the car back imm and asked for a refund.

Please guys check what you buy once the car leaves the showroom it is your headache and not their's. You need to fight once it is out but you can refuse when it is in the showroom.

Montoya all I can say is that it has been your investment please make sure you get all that you paid for else make sure the dealership pays for every lil bit dont let em get away with this.
Old 11th June 2005, 09:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

do check if at all your ABS works or not...

if i were you -i'd raise hell at the GM dealership...@ 10lakhs this is no joke..
Old 11th June 2005, 10:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

very correctly said
Rudra Sen

couldn't have put it better

@Montoya: Talk directly to GM & skip this deal issues & keep all record of phone calls done, emails/fax sent will help you later just in case
Old 11th June 2005, 11:19   #14
SMG
BHPian

Montoya, congratulations but at the same time sorry to know about the problems you faced in a brand new car , that too Optra.

As Rudra and many others had said , you could have been rather more careful while taking the delivery.

I recall your earlier posts asking about 'quick decision', 'how you tested Corolla (that smoke thing) ' and that long long thread of accessories for Optra. After doing that kind of research it is really surprizing to know that you were rather careless while taking the delivery and accepted a not so perfect car.

Further as you said 'Got the film done at Ray barrier film..', why you rushed for this kind of thing which I believe rather difficult to undo. This would make your case difficult should you decide to fight back for a replcement car, your dealer will now have a strong excuse!

It is a very common precaution most people follow when they buy a product (Camera,TV, Music System, Watch, clothing etc) for example, they retain all logos/ warning labels/ stickers, original packaging material, shipping lables , they do not fill warranty card immedtly, do not engrave/paint names/id marks on the product.

Now , here onwards ,be careful and do not put any accessories / mods till all issues are resolved.

Don't touch the steering wheel till you read Manual cover to cover, you might wish to borrow it from other Optra owners till you get your own.

And lastly, please , do not rough handle such a beauty, please.

I hope GM will sort out the problems and soon you'll be enjoying you Optra and we enjoying reading a wonderful review from you with some nice pictures.

All the best and congratulations once again.
Old 11th June 2005, 14:45   #15
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with Rudra Sir! Instead of making huge threads of what accessories to put on Optra, you should have rather asked for what to look out for while buying a new car !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks