Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 16:45   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Well since we have a maruti 800 thread here in the classics section I thought I would post some pictures of my maruti 1000 bought brand new from the showroom (which my father designed and built) in the year 1992 apparently in exchange for professional fees. The sunvisors still have the plastic on them and she has travelled 60,000 Kms in the last 17yrs. She is now living a life of retirement in my house in poona. Dont miss the orginal Sony deck purchased as an accessory at that time.
Hey Amol how did you manage to get the MH01 R registration. its a series for 95 vehicles. My friend has got a 1992 1000 MHO1 B. Varun has seen the car.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

very well maintained!!!
Old 10th June 2009, 17:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

I remember the first time I saw an ad in the TOI about the 1000 way back in 1989. I had already seen the Suzuki Swift 1.3 in Dubai that time. When I saw the 1000 here , I felt the Indian auto industry had finally arrived and now there was a good 3 box saloon in the market. Went on to become a legend here after it became the Esteem.

Well kept car Amol. She still looks great. 60,000 kms is peanuts for this car. Take care of her, I know you will
Old 10th June 2009, 17:19   #34
BHPian

i am talkin about the cladding material on the upper part of the door pad and the area around the a/c vent. This material isnt rexine, it some kinda plastic, the lower part of the door pad is rexine.

So this plastic expands due to long exposure to harsh sunlight and this coupled with the degradation of the adhesive used forms wrinkles and comes loose. This is first seen on around the door a/c vent and then it progresses to the other parts of the door pad. As pointed out by santosh this is a common problem on all M1000s and the early esteems.

Add to this the discoloration, and it looks soo bad. In my 1000, i had managed to keep this from happening for many years , but just 2 days of being parked in the sun and this happened.

Last edited by siddartha : 10th June 2009 at 17:21.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
The Mole - you are an legend mate '. very well maintained M 1000 , just a suggestion you can use a neutral shoe polish to get the shine on dashboards & plastic door parts. ( thats what I have been doing since 1987 , on our M800 , WagonR , Alto , Honda City , My Esteem & Toyota ) and the shine lasts for about 6~8 months and best part being neutral in colour it doesnt leave the colour of polish on lets say that very expensive silk dress of the passenger.
I will definately try this on the lower dashboard which is hard plastic however the upper half is rexine pressed on a soft moulded panel which can be recolored by using kits available in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvvikram View Post
Good to see the car in the very fit fat stage. She looks still Buitiful in these days also.

What's the mileage getting from her? just a curiosity question.
about 14kms/litre on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Are you a cooperite?
I am a Scottishite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Looks like Siddartha is refering to the part of the dashboard which connects up with the front door inner beading which seems to have melted due to it being exposed to heat or otherwise deformed due to some misadventure !
What it actually is, is a sort of a rexine (very thin) and extremely elastic bonded by glue on to a soft moulded panel, my car actually never really stands out on the sun more than a couple of hours. All my cars are garaged so it could not have happened because of this. But I now have procedure to rebond this looses rexine to the panel below, kind of hot pressing. However i plan to try this out on a panel from a scrapped car before experimenting on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hey Amol how did you manage to get the MH01 R registration. its a series for 95 vehicles. My friend has got a 1992 1000 MHO1 B. Varun has seen the car.
There's a long story there was a scheme in those days called Budget Rent a Car scheme and to save taxes the car was registerd on that scheme, and the car was registered with a GJ-15-T -XXXX. The scheme was scarpped after 3 yrs after which the car was transfered to a Bombay no. So the car is actually probably a 1995-96 no.

But I simply must thank people for their appreciation and encouragement, I am sure someday it will be a Indian classic.
Old 10th June 2009, 21:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Err was that grille to protect the glass or to protect the car as the quarter glass was easily removable?
I bought mine in 93. There was nothing to protect the quarter glass back then. They could remove the whole glass and rubber beading from outside. You could get either a grill fixed after market or brackets. But I had just driven mine from the showroom and didnt get a chance lol. The beading cost about 1500 rs but the glass was cheaper. I bought my replacement from some garage at band road in Santacruz. Paid the kid who was installing it 50rs extra to tell me what else can be stolen and he fixed all those Basically if the weather strips were screwed down they lost value.

The subsequent models had a little knob or grills factory installed.
Old 10th June 2009, 22:12   #37
BHPian

Thats a really neat car man. Reminds me of the Maruti 1000 I had my heart set on, but the deal didnt go through. But maybe it worked out for the best
Old 11th June 2009, 16:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Thats a mighty old car.

I have Sept 1995 vintage Esteem which I recently got refurbished
The car's recently completed 1L KMS and the odo now reads aroun 00506KMS
Old 12th June 2009, 01:07   #39
BHPian

let me know ( if you dont mind ) what all you got changed and how much it costed you - as I have an 2001 Esteem , although I stayed in Delhi for majority of time but had been transfered to Mumbai for about 2.5 yrs so too much rains along with salty ocean water got my car a bit rusty near ( inside ) the front bumpers + a bit of engine bay + rear bumpers ( boot ) .

as my car has done about 135xxx kms i plan to keep it for long time and will spend a bit of money on refurbishing which inludes a/c work + new bumpers* ( front + rear ) + alloys . other things are in great shape but will have them checked too.

* bumpers ( front + rear ) have taken a lot of beating that too without my fault - such as - car bashed in from rear at red light - bike guy rear ended in - while returning from CP saw my front bumper dropped from left side > qualis guy scrapped it - the list is endless . have got the fiber welding done many time but this time it wont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Wow! Thats a mighty old car.

I have Sept 1995 vintage Esteem which I recently got refurbished
The car's recently completed 1L KMS and the odo now reads aroun 00506KMS

Last edited by passion4cars : 12th June 2009 at 01:12.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
let me know ( if you dont mind ) what all you got changed and how much it costed you - as I have an 2001 Esteem , although I stayed in Delhi for majority of time but had been transfered to Mumbai for about 2.5 yrs so too much rains along with salty ocean water got my car a bit rusty near ( inside ) the front bumpers + a bit of engine bay + rear bumpers ( boot ) .

as my car has done about 135xxx kms i plan to keep it for long time and will spend a bit of money on refurbishing which inludes a/c work + new bumpers* ( front + rear ) + alloys . other things are in great shape but will have them checked too.

* bumpers ( front + rear ) have taken a lot of beating that too without my fault - such as - car bashed in from rear at red light - bike guy rear ended in - while returning from CP saw my front bumper dropped from left side > qualis guy scrapped it - the list is endless . have got the fiber welding done many time but this time it wont work
PM me if you need a source for most Maruti 1000 parts.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nicely maintained car buddy.As many BHPians have pointed out it was the ultimate car that kids used to dream about in the early 90's especially when it was newly launched.

I remember as kids when we were in class our teacher asked us what kind of car we would love to have when we grew up and all the boys exclaimed they wanted the Maruti 1000.

Maruti used to advertise the 1000 as "Perhaps the finest car on Indian roads today" in those days.

Brought back some memories from school buddy, thanks
Old 11th October 2009, 22:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

I used to be SUPER intrigued with the 1000 for a few reasons. Particularly, the one thing that stumped me totally was the INTERMITTENT wipers. LOL. It was the first Maruti to come with a feature as 'high tech' as that and we school boys used to have conversations about the speed of these. I was right, as I used to tell them that the wiper cleans every 10 seconds. I remember noticing it at a red light, and I kept asking Dad how the person is operating the wiper EXACTLY every 10 seconds. Dad had no idea, as we had an 800 at that time and such a feature was unheard of in Indian cars.

Another feature were the vents in the doors. I used to be super awestruck on finding SO many places for the air of the air conditioner to come from!

Also, the rear cluster of lights was pretty modern for that time. I loved the tri part reverse light.

The centre console used to light up on switching on the dim lights, and I used to love the cool green colour and the huge speedo would look sexy when lit up in the same colour.

I had bought a 'Centy' toys scale model of the 1000, which I painted white with correction fluid and had dreamt for it to be my car at that time.

10 years later, we got the Esteem. A tad too late, but fulfillment of a dream, nonetheless.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2009, 03:02   #43
BHPian

That is a sweetly maintained car .

I remember that dad brought home a test-drive 1000 & took us for a spin. Since then, I have been in love with her shape.
Old 12th October 2009, 19:52   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I used to be SUPER intrigued with the 1000 for a few reasons.
Your post made for a great read, Frankmehta. I remember seeing the M1000 for the first time and was like WOW! The car looked like a spaceship, the design was super modern & curvy for its time. I remember how the IT department raided nearly everyone who bought a Maruti 1000 in the first year.

Quote:

10 years later, we got the Esteem. A tad too late, but fulfillment of a dream, nonetheless.
Likewise. We got the Esteem VX 6 years later. She was delivered late at night and when I drove it, I thought its all the car I needed in this life. What a feeling it was compared to the Fiats, Ambys and 800s we'd grown up on.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2009, 20:57   #45
BHPian

GTO,

My feelings were the same as yours, when i saw this car for the first time.

What was the price of this car when it was released? any idea ! anybody !

i remember the old version of 800 was priced at 45k~ around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks