Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 13:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

1,47,300 kms

Just back from a 3-day trip to Theni and its wildlife areas. The Indica still performs like a dream.
Total of 800 kms, 200 odd kms of really bad roads (1st and 2nd gear only)
AC on for most of the drive.
Fully loaded with 4 people and luggage.
Mileage = 16.46 kmpl.

Before this trip, there was a drive to Thengumarahada which was pratically an off-road trip where I did manage to get her bruised on the under belly and a rattle cropped up. Somehow, it seems to have set itself right. Will have it checked during the service break this month.

The earlier service set me back by about 21k after insurance mainly due to the tinkering, painting, replacement of steering pump and some assorted parts (out of warranty). But I have no reason to despair except the single grouse that the steering is heavy compared to our Indigo Marina. I like the heavier steering as it feels more precise.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

1,55,000 kms and beyond

After having contemplating to let the Indica go, in favour of a 4WD, we decided to let it stay on as she was doing really well. My father wanted to spruce up the car and so we replaced the entire suspension and steering column as well. The damage to the steering column was probably a result of the earlier shunt with the still-to-be-identified Scorpio, which would explain the heaviness. A complete service and replacement set us back by about 32K, but the Indica is now as good as new.

Been to Kochi and back yesterday. The Indica performed exceedingly well, sure-footed and has lost none of its power. Intermittent showers throughout the journey and horrible roads between Palakkad and Thrissur. Didn't record mileage but seemed to be around 17-18 kmpl. On the way back, the Indica clocked 1,55,000 kms. Happy to keep her on for some more time.

Saw plenty of accidents enroute that had happened minutes before we reached the spot, bus drivers are still maniacs with a couple of near-hits from behind.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 17:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica Turbo DLG. 1,65,000 kms and Sold

Hi Suraj Kumaar, excellent report & good summary of ownership experience. Enjoyed reading every bit thoroughly. Good to know that even after crossing 1.55 lakh kms, you Indica is running like a dream. Gives a good feeling that your car is still going strong. I recently completed 1 lakh kms, mine is a 2004 DLX (Non-Turbo). so far so good, you can read my ownership experience overe here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-beyond.html

Even I am thinking of an upgrade when my Indica would be celebrating its 8th birthday next July. However it is getting very difficult to find a worthy replacement with very low running & maintenance costs.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 24th October 2011 at 17:37.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

1,65,000 kms and SOLD!

Drove to Rameshwaram and back in two days. 750 kms plus in two cars and nine of us. The Indica and the Marina. Fully loaded, she returned around 22 kmpl.

My brother got a decent offer for the Indica, it is just two days and already miss a good car. Looking forward to a new car around Jan/Feb. My guess is it would be the Vista!
Old 10th February 2012, 10:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Turbo DLG. 1,65,000 kms and Sold

Picked up the Vista VX in Porcelain white and she has done 1000 kms so far. Will start a separate thread soon.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Picked up the Vista VX in Porcelain white and she has done 1000 kms so far. Will start a separate thread soon.
Many Congratulations discoverwild on picking up the Vista VX. How much money did your Tata Indica Turbo DLG @ 1,65,000 kms fetch? I hope you would start your new ownership thread on Vista very soon & share the link over here. Please share your initial experience, complemented with lots of pictures. It would interesting to see a comparo between the Vista VX & your (s)old car. I know that you are a true Tata loyalist (going by your signature), but I would like to know what made you stick to the Tata's, rather the Indica in particular.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi AutoIndian,

Thank you for the wishes.
Why Tatas?
We travel a lot in the family. Basically from Erode District in Tamil Nadu, I did all my schooling and college in Bangalore. My father moved to Tirupur in the late 80s and we have been shuttling around since then. After a couple of 2nd hand cars (Jeep and van, actually), my father picked up the humble M800 as his first car in 1991 (we still have it), followed by the M1000 (low on pickup, bad on the suspension), This was followed by the Tata Sierra in 1995, the Ambassador in 96, Contessa, Gypsy King and Sumo in 97/98. Of all the cars, the Sumo clocked the highest mileage in the shortest time, 55000 kms in the first year!!

I came in to the picture when I started handling all the services of these cars and individually driving them around to service centres in Bangalore and Coimbatore. The Sierra was the favourite of the lot and the kind of off-roading I did with it, would put other 4x4s to shame.

As we replaced cars, we moved on to the Qualis, the Ikon and the Santro. Then came the Indica Turbo in 2006. I had test driven the earlier Indica and found it very sluggish to my liking and the Turbo was the answer to that.

Of all the above cars we had, we noticed that we had the Tatas for a longer time than the rest and they were the ones that clocked much more mileage than any other. Of the later cars, the Qualis was good but too short for me and gave me lot of cramps. The Innova was not interesting and was pricey. For me, VFM was always important and I didn't care much about snob value. The Tatas certainly have marked VFM marked all over them.

My brother wanted the Swift, but I stuck to the Indica. And the rest is history. I picked up the Marina second-hand because I needed a larger boot to carry material and she rides like a sofa-on-wheels. I have clocked exactly 40000kms with her in 2 years and except for one freak mishap with the timing belt, she has been a work-horse.

The Indica had done 1,65,000 kms and we still liked it. First tyre change at 72,000 kms, second at 1,46,000 kms, clutch change at 1,07,000 kms. Whoever said Tata was expensive at maintenance and unreliable? My brother was offered 2.2L for it and he took it.

A 2006 Indica that clocked 1.65L kms sold at Rs.2.2L. My friend, sold his 2006 WagonR which had 86K kms on the odo for Rs. 2L!! Go figure it out!

The service on the Vista is done now at 1000 kms, billing was Rs.45, besides window film that came up to 2,200. Next service 10,000 kms!!!
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 13:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi AutoIndian, Thank you for the wishes.
Why Tatas? Of all the above cars we had, we noticed that we had the Tatas for a longer time than the rest and they were the ones that clocked much more mileage than any other. Of the later cars, the Qualis was good but too short for me and gave me lot of cramps. The Innova was not interesting and was pricey. For me, VFM was always important and I didn't care much about snob value. The Tatas certainly have marked VFM marked all over them.
Thanks for sharing the complete car & family history. I can now easily co-relate your Tata connection. I agree with you 101%, that if you love munching miles & that too on not so good terrain, nothing can come close to the VFM proposition of Tatas. I am myself experiencing it with my 2004 DLX, which has clocked 106+ K kms.

Quote:
The Indica had done 1,65,000 kms and we still liked it. First tyre change at 72,000 kms, second at 1,46,000 kms, clutch change at 1,07,000 kms. Whoever said Tata was expensive at maintenance and unreliable? My brother was offered 2.2L for it and he took it.
Same pinch. I changed my original tyres @ 62K kms & at 106K I am still on original clutch. Planning to change it @ 110K service.

Quote:
The service on the Vista is done now at 1000 kms, billing was Rs.45, besides window film that came up to 2,200. Next service 10,000 kms!!!
Great going. Is VX the top end? Also pl share the price break-up.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 10th February 2012 at 13:35.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

VX is the VFM end

VX comes with ABS.

There is one LX (I think) model, with the addition of airbags and alloys that make the top end.

I normally tend to choose one model below the top end which generally is VFM for what it offers. The Indica Turbo was the DLG, while the top end was DLX.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:56   #70
BHPian

Happy to see another happy owner of an indica and now Vista. Both are excellent cars. Having owned one DLG Turbo for 5 years & 1.5L Kms, I also agree how good the car was. Now though I own an Punto 90HP and any time would like to own an Vista QJD VX . Congrats on your new car and drive safe.

Kiran
Old 14th February 2012, 09:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot, Kiran. Happy and safe driving to you too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks