Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 00:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

The Shell Experience...

After hearing so many good things, I headed to the 24x7 Shell outlet in Chromepet, about 15 KM from where I live. I was welcomed by a friendly "vanakkam". Top 'er up, I said. And the counter climbed from zero...

Now here is the thing- I headed to the outlet when my low fuel warning lamp lit up- I would have driven around 20 KM max after the lamp lit up. Shell managed to fill in 45.38 litres of Diesel in- not sure if that is ok, considering the tank's capacity is 45 litres.

How much fuel would the tank approximately have when the low fuel warning come up? I am assuming atleast 10? And considering mileage in city of about 14-15 KMPL, there still should be about 8 litres in the tank, so is the tank really 53+ litres in size if filled to brim? Even if I consider to have 5 litres in the tank, it is still 50+...

Point to consider is the attendant continued pumping Diesel after the auto-stop, before I could stop him from doing so. And I let him go ahead because I wanted to see just how much gets pumped.

The service was good, courteous. Its just this one thing that is eating my mind- is it alright that they filled 45+ litres in a tank that already has atleast 5 litres?
Old 14th July 2009, 09:37   #92
BHPian

@phoenix The guys at shell told me the same thing the last time I tanked up there. They said that there will normally be around 7 or 8 litres of extra capacity in the tank as an add on to the 45 litres that is stated. The fuel low warning comes on after the distance-to-empty meter comes down to around 60km. After this the meter comes on and after a while the meter value disappears and it starts to blink. I dont know if the meter is set to start blinking based on the remaining distance, or remaining fuel.

EDIT: How much was the diesel at shell? Is it the same cost as diesel in other bunks?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 14th July 2009 at 09:41.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Phoenix !!
The fuel tank capacity is 45 litres only.
Couple of days back i did around 90kms after the low fuel lamp came on. While filling up it consumed a total of 42litres, so, approximately 3~4 litres would have been left before tank full.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
@phoenix The guys at shell told me the same thing the last time I tanked up there. They said that there will normally be around 7 or 8 litres of extra capacity in the tank as an add on to the 45 litres that is stated. The fuel low warning comes on after the distance-to-empty meter comes down to around 60km. After this the meter comes on and after a while the meter value disappears and it starts to blink. I dont know if the meter is set to start blinking based on the remaining distance, or remaining fuel.

EDIT: How much was the diesel at shell? Is it the same cost as diesel in other bunks?
The Getz does not have a Distance to Empty, just a low fuel warning indicator. Shell Diesel is 34.98...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phoenix !!
Couple of days back i did around 90kms after the low fuel lamp came on. While filling up it consumed a total of 42litres, so, approximately 3~4 litres would have been left before tank full.
Did you fill to the brim, or stopped filling when the pump auto-stopped? When I filled this time, the system kicked in the auto-cutoff at about 38 litres...
Old 14th July 2009, 17:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phoenix !!
Now thats funny. I filled about 47L once. I somehow feel the tack capacity is about 50L.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Now thats funny. I filled about 47L once. I somehow feel the tack capacity is about 50L.
Either that, or both of us were taken for a ride
Old 14th July 2009, 20:10   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Either that, or both of us were taken for a ride
Ha! Ha! i filled at shell. I think they are quiet reliable
Old 14th July 2009, 22:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha! Ha! i filled at shell. I think they are quiet reliable
SO did I, and I think they are reliable in quality and quantity too- but....!

Rocket owners- have you filled more than 45 litres?
Old 15th July 2009, 06:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SO did I, and I think they are reliable in quality and quantity too- but....!

Rocket owners- have you filled more than 45 litres?
I have been watching this discussion.. I am quite puzzled too . I have filled up my tank many times , but not more than 40L . But , i never let the tank to go down that low till the indicator comes on. Did you ask the Service centre whether this is possible ?
Old 15th July 2009, 06:55   #100
BHPian

I always fill up well before the low fuel warning light comes on and I have never had to fill more than 36 litres ever in the last 10 months of owning my li'll monster, something is wrong can it be due to the density or something of the diesel? There is one other thread where this issue has been discussed to death, probably someone can give you the pointer to that thread in this forum
Old 15th July 2009, 10:37   #101
BHPian

Well, here is my experience:

My Karadi has only run 270 kms so far. I filled her up when the odo was at 40 km.
  • The dealer said he had filled 5 liters. For 40 km - say 3 liters gone.
  • Total diesel filled by me - Rs 1700 - about 46 liters in Bangalore.
So, I would tend to agree with the 47 liters figure since I am sure the chap went above the auto-cut off.

Also - Having run 230 km on a full tank, the fuel indicator is bang on the 3/4 mark. So, it has consumed just 12-13 liters (FE ~ 19)?? About 100 km of the 230 was on the highway. My guess is that the fuel indicator may not be completely linear...
Old 15th July 2009, 11:05   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
My guess is that the fuel indicator may not be completely linear...
This is something i notice too . Till about the 2nd mark the fuel indicator struggles to go down but after that suddenly the fuel indicator falls off as though the fuel suddenly got burnt. As you rightly pointed out i somehow feel it is not linear as well.
ShyamSCrdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2009, 13:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have been watching this discussion.. I am quite puzzled too . I have filled up my tank many times , but not more than 40L . But , i never let the tank to go down that low till the indicator comes on. Did you ask the Service centre whether this is possible ?
Let me ask them sometime- but I have a feel that the tank can take more than 45, but we should keep it at 45 max to ensure there is some "breathing space"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I always fill up well before the low fuel warning light comes on and I have never had to fill more than 36 litres ever in the last 10 months of owning my li'll monster, something is wrong can it be due to the density or something of the diesel? There is one other thread where this issue has been discussed to death, probably someone can give you the pointer to that thread in this forum
Do you stop at cut-off, or fill to brim? Let me look for the other thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Well, here is my experience:

My Karadi has only run 270 kms so far. I filled her up when the odo was at 40 km.
  • The dealer said he had filled 5 liters. For 40 km - say 3 liters gone.
  • Total diesel filled by me - Rs 1700 - about 46 liters in Bangalore.
So, I would tend to agree with the 47 liters figure since I am sure the chap went above the auto-cut off.

Also - Having run 230 km on a full tank, the fuel indicator is bang on the 3/4 mark. So, it has consumed just 12-13 liters (FE ~ 19)?? About 100 km of the 230 was on the highway. My guess is that the fuel indicator may not be completely linear...
Quote:
This is something i notice too . Till about the 2nd mark the fuel indicator struggles to go down but after that suddenly the fuel indicator falls off as though the fuel suddenly got burnt. As you rightly pointed out i somehow feel it is not linear as well.
I gotta agree- it struggles to reach the half mark, but it falls down pretty soon after that- the last quarter goes out like there is a hole somewhere
Old 15th July 2009, 13:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I gotta agree- it struggles to reach the half mark, but it falls down pretty soon after that- the last quarter goes out like there is a hole somewhere
same with my santro also. think all the hyundai cars are like that
Old 15th July 2009, 15:15   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me ask them sometime- but I have a feel that the tank can take more than 45, but we should keep it at 45 max to ensure there is some "breathing space"...
I always fill till the fuel reaches the mouth..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks