Old 23rd June 2009, 11:17   #16
jp1
BHPian

Unbiased report. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
It is an OE on the VLX.
The VLX has 97 HP, 255Nm CRDI engine

I don't think the Bolero will retain its character with coil springs in the rear. It will certainly lose its rugged vehicle characteristics. Plus its the leaf springs that provide the high amount of articulation on the rear wheels so suitable for travelling on mud trails and such.....
I fully agree, they should keep the leaf springs. As of now we can confidently go in any bad roads without bothering about the underbelly. But I feel with coil springs, may be it becomes more delicate to handle. Seeing the rear coil spring on Scorpio, I felt it is very delicate, at least it looks so.
As such about articulation, the rear number plate gets hit whenever the rear wheel goes into deep ditch, so I had to move it from there.
Eagerly waiting to see a 4x4 with the CRDe
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
As such about articulation, the rear number plate gets hit whenever the rear wheel goes into deep ditch, so I had to move it from there.
jp1, this will be a concern with me as well. Could you provide details of the 'cosmetic surgery' you have done - photos, surgeon, price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Eagerly waiting to see a 4x4 with the CRDe
I'm hearing this comment for the umpteenth time. Phew! the 4x4 version of the Storm is slowly turning out to be an eagerly anticipated vehicle.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:23   #18
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
jp1, this will be a concern with me as well. Could you provide details of the 'cosmetic surgery' you have done - photos, surgeon, price?..
It is very simple, a)remove the wire which is connecting the bulb holder by pulling it out from the connector socket, b) remove the entire number plate assembly including the bulb fitting, it can be removed as one piece, c) drill two holes on the rear foot rest vertical plate and fix the number plate there. d) you need to extent wire from the connector socket by a feet or so to reconnect the wires. Attached the image.
Attached Thumbnails
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dsc00702m.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

I saw this mod on a Bolero today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-img00035.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 18:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

whats the mod? you mean the number plate placement? isnt that a very common mod on boleros?
Old 24th June 2009, 18:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I saw this mod on a Bolero today morning.
and what is the Mod?
Old 24th June 2009, 20:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and what is the Mod?

Mod refers to the placement of the rear number plate; I have the same mod too!
Attached Thumbnails
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dsc00584.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 20:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Mod refers to the placement of the rear number plate; I have the same mod too!
errm.. think you posted the wrong picture? the number plate is in the original position in this one.
Old 24th June 2009, 22:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
errm.. think you posted the wrong picture? the number plate is in the original position in this one.
Wrong Dude! Original position is just behind the rear right mud flap!
Old 29th June 2009, 17:12   #25
BHPian

Memorable trips

Name:  DSCF4340.bmp
Views: 3494
Size:  231.7 KB Name:  DSCF4342.bmp
Views: 3480
Size:  233.6 KB

This is the latest casuality on my Bolero. The indicator light simply popped out of it's socket at the end of my last drive. Intriguingly, this has happened without any external impact on that side of the vehicle. Has anyone else faced this issue? Also, I was told by both Sireesh Auto & SKS Auto (formerly Vijai Auto) that they do not have this item stocked at the moment. So I've been driving around this last week with the indicator 'bandaged' with a strip of cellophane tape! Upon calling up India Garage today I was told they have it, so will have to go there & get it and then have it installed by SKS. Phew!

MEMORABLE TRIPS
A running report regarding my Bolero would be incomplete without mentioning a few memorable trips I've made and my opinions regarding the vehicle during the concerned trips.

I. BANGALORE-MUMBAI (990KMs) MAY 2009
This will probably remain THE most memorable trip of mine for a long time to come, due to the distance travelled and due to the fact that on the onward journey I was alone. I did it on a Saturday and the next day was my brother's wedding in M'bai. Started from B'lore at about 3 a.m. Saturday morning and kept at it non-stop (barring two pee-breaks & two refuellings in between) till I reached M'bai by 6.30 p.m. that evening. My concerns before the trip were A) I had had the Bolero only for a month and so I was just getting used to the vehicle and I was as yet not fully acclitimised to the characteristic bumps & vibrations of the Bolero B) The cheap/utilitarian build of the Bolero had somehow created a subconscious mindset in me that this vehicle might develop some problem or the other on the way or that some part or the other might fall off! C) This vehicle drank diesel like my bro drank beer! So I hit upon 2 measures to counter my concerns 1) I would keep my top speed to 90kmph throughout the trip 2) I would not turn on the A/C for the duration of the trip.

A majority of the route was 4-lane roads, and the one word that would aptly describe the Bolero's highway performance would be 'SOLID'! I kept getting the feeling that it had it's feet well planted on the tarmac since the steering stubbornly refused to move, infact it felt as if the vehicle was travelling on it's own in a groove/rail on the road! - so, contrary to my expectation drive fatigue was very low! Likewise in addition to the fact that I started early in the morning, luckily it was a pleasant day as well with light cloud cover throughout the day, hence with the front windows full & rear windows part down I didn't miss the A/C much. The medium speed and non-operation of the A/C apparently worked in reducing the fuelburn, since I calculated a mileage of 14.2 kmpl as compared to the 12.3 kmpl that I usually get and I needed only 2 refuelings on the onward journey with a half tankful remaining from the second filling which served me throughout my stay in M'bai.

...(Contd)
Old 10th July 2009, 12:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mud Mover,

Could you please provide a break-up of the 1st Service cost as my vehicle also needs to go for its First Service Tomorrow.
Old 11th July 2009, 01:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mud Mover,

Could you please provide a break-up of the 1st Service cost as my vehicle also needs to go for its First Service Tomorrow.
Hi MC,

The break-up of my 1st Service Bill is as follows:

My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-untitled.jpg

Just curious... now that you're doing the Leh trip, what all additions are you planning on your storm? I'm thinking you definitely need the fog lamps & carrier and re-arranging of that rear number plate, what else? Boy! you're the one who's going but I'm already getting excited about your trip!

Last edited by MudMover : 11th July 2009 at 01:50.
Old 11th July 2009, 07:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Hi MC,

The break-up of my 1st Service Bill is as follows:

Attachment 157213

Just curious... now that you're doing the Leh trip, what all additions are you planning on your storm? I'm thinking you definitely need the fog lamps & carrier and re-arranging of that rear number plate, what else? Boy! you're the one who's going but I'm already getting excited about your trip!
Thanks Mate for the info! Just curious what is A/CNUtalizer and Consumables. Also why do you need engine moto care so early in the engine life. No offences MM, looks like the dealer peddled you non-requisite stuff to shore up the bill.

On the Leh front, that I need are
  1. Fog Lamps
  2. Upgrading of the head lamp to 100/90
  3. Don't think need the carrier as the rear has enough space for luggage of 2/4 people. (OT: Recently went to the Airport to pick-up a relative coming from US and they had 4 30" suitcases and 2 smaller cabin luggage. Was ablr to dump them in the rear. And boy the handling of the storm was best I have experienced till date )
Planning is done for Leh. Let's see how the implementation goes.

Cheers
Old 9th August 2009, 11:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

any updates on this thread, MM and MC?
Old 9th August 2009, 17:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
any updates on this thread, MM and MC?
My Storm is about to complete 6000 KMs and is getting prepared to head off to Leh. Everything is fine, getting about 9.65 KMPL with 100% AC and aggressive driving in City. Haven't seen the Highways for some time, but will be remedied very soon.

Please let me know if you are looking for anything specific
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks