Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 21:34   #46
BHPian

aerodynamics - ha ha - no way. Its a typical problem. No need even enter muddy tracks. Mine came off just by vibration.

My service engineer riveted them for "free" (with a grin)

Regarding those rubber panels - don't change them - waste of money. Pull them out, clean the metal part, super glue them.

Attachment 177588

I feel the "Fangs" (highlighted with red arrows) are a totally unnecessary contraption unless they have been put there to increase the aerodynamics of the vehicle to enable it to pierce the sound barrier! [/quote]
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Those fangs are actually to stop the splash of water on the windscreen, when you enter a pool of water.
This was a problem with previous boleros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Nope - that problem is still there
Very true, the problem is very much there. I feel these fangs, dont let even a drop escape, and channel all the water / muck that is splashed on to the vehicle. Some design!

Have you tried the 3M 2 side sticky tape way. I have been living on that, it lasts for about 2 months, less during the rains. Else, like the M&M service guy here offered to do, get a small bolt on to that. Choose a discreet, small one, match it with the other side, it shouldn't look that bad. I hope. cuz thats what I plan to do, the tape has worn off and the right fang is hanging out there.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:52   #48
BHPian

The bonnet has been stuck since last weekend's drive. It got stuck on my drive from B'lore to the estate, so I thought it would automatically get unstuck on the drive back. Anybody got any home remedies , I initially tried prying it open with my hands but gave up after I got 8 red fingertips in vain. I feel a bit lazy taking it to the ASC for small knick-knacks like this.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2009 at 10:38. Reason: Strictly no more than two smilies per post please
Old 26th August 2009, 15:11   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I ve been after them for years in ref this - the Bolero is a perfect vehicle in most ways. One thing which would make it amazingly space adaptable is the introduction of split foldable rear seats or even just plain foldable rear seats.

This cannot be done on the standard bolero seats unless you actually break them and put a hinge etc. I wonder why they didnt atleast add this extra convenience in when they introduced the Storm.
Indeed I had even written to several people in their Marketing and Top Management. No luck though.

However, the move of putting in the Scorp seats is a great idea.
The Scorp seats anyway are much snugger and hold you on the sides as well unlike the Bolero's.

The rear Scorp seats are first class - much more comfy than the bolero - with them being foldable, it will be phenomenal the space you can get at the back!

One more irritation with the Storm is that is has a bad gear shift stick - too short and oddly located even for one of my height and long arms. I never faced this irritation in my standard Bolero Sportz though.

And of course the front fangs as you describe them are a stupid waste of time considering they are simply stuck on.
If you really want to avoid water splashing on the bonnet or atleast minimize the same, one way is to find a regular pair of mudflaps such as the ones "behind" the tyre and mount them in the front - the vehicle will look a bit weird but this will help a bit.

demand and get Bridgestone Dueler HT tyres instead of Apollo and JK etc - if you are insistent, they will get it for you.
Also insist that the Jeep is brought down from Nasik by Truck so that it only has minimal mileage on the clock when you receive it.
Here, it normally gets driven in from Nelamangala Yard in Bangalore and gets its PDI check done etc so one can expect around 70 klicks on the clock when one receives the vehicle.

90-100 Halogens are a good thing for the headlamps (ensure they put in a good quality relay switch though).
Foglamps can be bought and mounted on the bumper since the bumper is a steel unit.

You can if you like ask them to fix a Pintle Hook at the rear in case you plan to do some towing.

all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

color : white
discount: well i'm asking the guy to install scorpio front seats as well as make the rear seats foldable..will have to push through..

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th August 2009 at 15:18.
Old 28th September 2009, 20:13   #50
BHPian

Had a strange experience with the engine check chime (ECC) - the chime which sounds every time you turn the key to the pre-ignition stage. About 3 weeks back, the chime suddenly stopped sounding and so to make up for it's absence I began to mentally give a gap of 10 seconds before starting the engine. After a few weeks of the mental counting, I gave up and was planning to take the vehicle to the ASC when Lo Behold! during the last weekend's drive it sprang back to life and is chirping merrily now. Meanwhile, there is an irritating squeaking sound coming from somewhere under the chasis - I hear it when going over bad stretches, which completes the feeling as if I'm driving a bullock cart.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Had a strange experience with the engine check chime (ECC) - the chime which sounds every time you turn the key to the pre-ignition stage.
Hey MM, there is apparently a switch to turn it off inside the glovebox or somewhere. Vaguely remember reading about that in the Owners Manual.

Also, the welcome message does not come if the vehicle is started within 12 hours.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
the welcome message does not come if the vehicle is started within 12 hours.
No-no, I was not refering to the voice alerts not sounding. The quirk I was experiencing was related to the 'bell' which sounds when you turn on the key. The sales guy who first showed me the vehicle told me never to start the engine before the bell stopped ringing. You know what I'm referring to now?
Old 30th September 2009, 16:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No-no, I was not refering to the voice alerts not sounding. The quirk I was experiencing was related to the 'bell' which sounds when you turn on the key. The sales guy who first showed me the vehicle told me never to start the engine before the bell stopped ringing. You know what I'm referring to now?
I never knew that you are not supposed to start the engine till the chimes stop. I thought one is supposed to wait till the check sign is there on the instrument panel
Old 30th September 2009, 22:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The quirk I was experiencing was related to the 'bell' which sounds when you turn on the key. The sales guy who first showed me the vehicle told me never to start the engine before the bell stopped ringing. You know what I'm referring to now?
That will not come if you seat belt yourself first and switch on the ignition. That is the seatbelt alarm and has nothing to do with starting the vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I never knew that you are not supposed to start the engine till the chimes stop. I thought one is supposed to wait till the check sign is there on the instrument panel
Yes sir, you only wait until the check engine sign as well as the heater glow plug sign disappear!
Old 9th October 2009, 22:50   #55
BHPian

During the last weekend's drive back to B'lore, I noticed a sound coming from the engine bay -- it sounded as if the engine had a sore throat! On further investigation I noticed the following additional symptoms:

a) The sound emanates from the area in the engine bay immediately behind the steering wheel.
b) It's there only when the vehicle is moving.
c) It's more pronounced when the engine is being accelerated i.e. at higher RPMs.
d) It sounds like a page of paper flapping in the wind.

I find the sound very irritating and since I diagnosed it as probably coming from the Fan belt or any of the other belt assemblies, I felt the sooner I get it rectified the better. I took the vehicle to SKS automobiles today, but the mechanic who took the vehicle for a test drive couldn't locate the cause of the sound. I've no option now but to wait for the next service or for the problem to become worse -- whichever is earlier!
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
During the last weekend's drive back to B'lore, I noticed a sound coming from the engine bay -- it sounded as if the engine had a sore throat!
Managed to locate the cause of the problem mentioned in my previous post when I took the vehicle to the ASC for another issue. Today, as I was driving back to Bangalore, I got the voice alert for water in the fuel filter just as I was entering the outskirts. While the mechanics at the ASC were dealing with the fuel filter issue, the hood was up and I could make out a dark smudge under the hood -- it was a thick patch of soot.

My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf4547.jpg
Name:  DSCF4548.JPG
Views: 2308
Size:  53.7 KB

The service advisor's preliminary diagnosis is that the silencer is leaking. So that would be one of the major items needing attention when I take it for the 20K service this week. Phew! and the black smudge matches with point (a) of my previous post.

Quote:
a) The sound emanates from the area in the engine bay immediately behind the steering wheel.
Unfortunately the fuel filter issue is still not fixed since I was still getting the message as I drove to office. Can't believe the guys at SKS couldn't fix such a simple issue the remedy of which is even mentioned in the owner's manual.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

MM first many congratulations for clocking the miles like you are doing.

As regards to the soot, I have my doubt about its origin as the exhaust is much more in the middle. Also since the soot is near the ac piping, I suggest that you get your AC checked.
Old 6th November 2009, 18:45   #58
BHPian

20K Paid Service Update

Got back my Bolero Storm yesterday after an early 20K service and the difference is amazing -- the vehicle feels much smoother and my wallet feels much lighter (courtesy attack of the Paid Services)! The sound and soot in the engine bay was found to be caused by a 'crack/leak' in the exhaust pipe and the ASC claims to have welded it and also sent a report
to Mahindra regarding this (fascinating to hear some of the stuff ASC technicians reel off). Anyways, the problem has definitely been addressed and consequently, sound & feel of the engine is back to it's normal self.

My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf4550.jpg

On last weekend's drive, during one particular spell of racy driving, I had to endure the humiliation of being overtaken by one of my own wheel covers!! While I was collecting my vehicle after service, I saw a new bolero with wire tags on the wheel covers hence decided to have the same installed on my wheel covers too. Underbody rust proofing was on the cards but I shelved the plan when I heard the service bill estimate. But it definitely needs to be done since I'm observing rusty items on the underside... maybe done next month. The 4th Paid service bill breakup is as follows:

Name:  Bill details.bmp
Views: 2186
Size:  111.9 KB
Old 7th November 2009, 06:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hey MM what is this 1000 bucks for brake adjustment and 360 odd for consumables?
Oh and the wheel covers, the less said the better. They kept me company all through the harsh terrain of Ladakh but decided to part ways on the smooth tracks of NH8. Hope they are happy wherever they are. Haven't been able to get my wheels adorned again as I think 600 odd for each is a bit too much.

BTW what is the mileage you are getting in the city?

Last edited by MileCruncher : 7th November 2009 at 06:29.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:05   #60
BHPian

Just came back after the usual trip to TN & KL. Though the vehicle is smooth and a pleasure to drive, I'm still getting the "drain water from fuel filter" message, which is very irritating. Also, the front left power window button is malfunctioning.

Quote:
Hey MM what is this 1000 bucks for brake adjustment and 360 odd for consumables?
They claimed to have changed all the brake pads. I guess 'Consumables' is something only a Mahindra insider can explain. Could refer to the minor oil, grease, detergents, cloth rags etc used during the service process. Only thing I think they've decided upon some standardised %age which is charged on the total value of the service bill rather than the actual cost of the items used.

Quote:
Haven't been able to get my wheels adorned again as I think 600 odd for each is a bit too much.
600 bucks for each?!! Man, am I glad I decided to go back and pickup the cover which fell off! Usually my policy was 'Whatever falls off, stays off'.

Quote:
BTW what is the mileage you are getting in the city?
in-city driving is very minimal -- per week I do 30-40 kms in-city and about 500-600 kms out, on the whole I get about 12.3 ish.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks