Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also please remember if it breaks in the middle of nowhere, you'll have a hard time procuring alternatives.
This ominous warning of milecruncher fell like a ton of bricks 2 weeks back when I took my bolero on the mud track to the estate. Since there had been rain the previous days in a row, the track was slushy and I got stuck at one spot and the rear wheels started spinning! As I performed the usual drill of alternative 1st gear-reverse gear movement the vehicle sunk in and rested on the CFLs and the back of the vehicle shuddered every time the wheels spun.

All this was happening barely 1 km from the estate, so it was not that I was isolated. But the thought that the CFLs might break, or I wouldn't be able to return back to B'lore that night due to that or due to the slushy road was frustrating. Luckily, I remembered having read on some thread here about using the 2nd gear in such situations, so I tried it out and Lo Behold! the vehicle popped out of the slush trap as if all the while it was waiting for me to engage the 2nd gear! After I got to the estate I did a close inspection of the CFLs to see if there was any damage. Luckily, nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I guess you were you looking for a softer ride, with less rebound bouncing ? Some of the CFL companies offer 2 different types of CFLs, with different stiffnesses for each, I think. I wonder which one was installed on your beast. On the other hand, stiffer shocks on stock leaf springs have improved the ride quality in my Scorpio by around 30 %.
Thanks for sharing this Mooza. I think I'd overestimated the effect of the CFLs. My basic expectation with this fitment was a reduction in the 'excessive vertical oscilation' of the vehicle, which is most pronounced while going over a speedbreaker @30-40 kmph. This reduction has not yet been achieved -- as per my perception. In fact, the criticism being levelled at me now is that I do not have adequate experience in driving leaf spring vehicles to notice the difference! Currently, deep down I believe a four-some of Bilstein B6s would improve the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Do keep us posted bout the CFL ride quality. Colour is definitely sexy
You like PINK?! EEEUUU! I get a slight shudder whenever I look at 'em. Ride quality -- definitely bumpier than before and emphatic body roll if on irregular surfaced roads at speeds above 60kmph. Meanwhile, off on another trip to Cochin this Wed. Like my dad used to say "Take what you get, stop cribbing, keep moving".
Old 16th June 2010, 18:56   #92
BHPian

Had the service done today at 42K. Service charges amounted to Rs.5824, primarily due to replacement of brake pads (Rs.2026.43). There was also a coolant leakage issue, which I'm told has been rectified. From the bill I can make out that two items - NVH Damper & Anabond Super Glue, have sacrificed their lives to prevent future coolant leakages. I've been having issues on and off with the window glasses refusing to do my bidding -- the latest being the glass on the driver's side, that seems to be working fine after the service... for now. I've also noticed that the beading/washer lining on the concerned door seems to be crumpled, I'd pointed it out to the SA but apparently that was not the cause of the issue.

One point of dispute was replacement of the differential oil. The manual shows this to be replaced at 40K but the A.S.S.es say the new records show that it needs to be done at 45K. One mysterious issue which remains mystery is a sound which appears to come from behind the dashboard -- it is a clicking sound which sounds like some loose contact in the indicator mechanism. During the 'clicking attack', the headlights (if they are on) seem to flicker and even the engine rpm seems to be affected. Anyone have any idea what it is? Since it is a rare occurence (say once in 2-3 months) I've not yet mentioned it to the A.S.S.es lest they should tear apart the dashboard for nothing and charge a bomb for it. Best course of action is to wait and watch.. and let it get worse.
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2010, 17:25   #93
BHPian

45000km update.

Quote:
Some of the CFL companies offer 2 different types of CFLs, with different stiffnesses for each, I think. I wonder which one was installed on your beast.
You were right Mooza! I've now been told that the CFLs installed on my bolero are of the stiffer variety. I naturally feel upset since had I been given the option I'd definitely have gone for the softer ones, Duh! Since the family is involved I can't even let off a few @#$%*^&-s ! So I've no go except to endure the pain. The ride is now more painful since I'd undergone an appendix operation a couple of weeks back and the bouncy ride really shakes up my internals! Anyways, I've now turned down all offers of 'soft' CFLs, gas-filled shocks & what not and decided to make do with what I have.

On another note, I'm experiencing a fogging of my right headlight as seen below -- anyone have any ideas why this is happening and only in one headlight? Also, I'd had my 40K service done at 42K so can't I do the 45K service at 47K instead of going and gifting $$$s to the A.S.S. again so early?

My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5170.jpg
Old 21st July 2010, 18:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
... I'm experiencing a fogging of my right headlight as seen below -- anyone have any ideas why this is happening ...
Water is leaking in...i dont know if any workaround is possible, better to replace the entire unit.
Old 21st July 2010, 18:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Water is leaking in...i dont know if any workaround is possible, better to replace the entire unit.
A +10 to that and I'm told it is a COMMON problem with boleros :(
Old 21st July 2010, 20:03   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
better to replace the entire unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'm told it is a COMMON problem with boleros :(
Thanks guys! I guess I'll be able to get the headlight unit replaced under warranty?

I had another query - while negotiating speedbreakers and other obstacles, to counter the turbo lag at rpms below 2K, I usually coordinate the clutch and the accelator to keep the engine revved in the nearabouts of 2K. I believe this practice would necessarily cause excessive clutch wear and fuel burn but any other hardware penalties?
Old 21st July 2010, 21:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys! I guess I'll be able to get the headlight unit replaced under warranty?

I had another query - while negotiating speedbreakers and other obstacles, to counter the turbo lag at rpms below 2K, I usually coordinate the clutch and the accelator to keep the engine revved in the nearabouts of 2K. I believe this practice would necessarily cause excessive clutch wear and fuel burn but any other hardware penalties?

MM: Go for Warranty after all it is a defective piece.

Well, w.r.t your 2nd point - I've never felt the turbo lag as much as the bounce in the vehicle. Also I used to drive it between 1800 to 2500 rpm mostly!!

The hardware penalties are clutch, suspension, steering box if you go fast over bumps, speed breakers and rough terrain.

Unlike the Endeavor from Ford, the Storm cant be thrown around the speed breakers at speed without penalties
Old 21st July 2010, 22:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...if you go fast over bumps...the Storm cant be thrown around the speed breakers at speed
No Headers, what I actually do is -- when I come to a speed breaker/obstacle I slow down (down to 2nd gear) enough to let the front wheel go over the obstacle gently. Once the front wheel has crossed, I start revving the engine (trying to keep @1900-2000 rpm range) while allowing the rear wheel also to travel over obstacle at the same slow momentum. Since the engine is kept in high revvs like this, by the time the rear wheel has crossed the obstacle I'm usually able to rocket away from the obstacle. I use this trick always to get away quickly from any pesky taxiwallas/racer boys who might have been following me -- gets rid of 'em like a charm!

Last edited by MudMover : 21st July 2010 at 22:26.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:37   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ride is now more painful since I'd undergone an appendix operation a couple of weeks back and the bouncy ride really shakes up my internals! Anyways, I've now turned down all offers of 'soft' CFLs, gas-filled shocks & what not and decided to make do with what I have
Hey Mudmover, hope you are recovering quickly from your operation

Do you find the ride more bouncy while driving with less people on board ? If the answer is yes, you could try our fellow Bhpian Shankar Balan's tip of keeping some load at the rearmost portion of the vehicle (preferably at a location behind the rear wheels, if possible). This has helped my leaf sprung vehicle too (I have placed a couple of bags of old books totalling 60 kgs in my boot area). The bounciness has reduced even further.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mudmover, hope you are recovering quickly from your operation...you could try our fellow Bhpian Shankar Balan's tip of keeping some load at the rearmost portion of the vehicle (preferably at a location behind the rear wheels, if possible).
Thanks Mooza! Well even with one person in the back seat, if I go over a speed breaker at a moderately high speed, the vehicle jumps in such a way that I can hear a small screech from the back tire/s. Actually from day one, I was advised to keep some ballast at the back to counter the bounciness but due to ego reasons I had decided against it -- I felt that since the bolero already looks like a 'farm-vehicle' why carry a sack full of something to increase the 'farmy' feeling? But now, after having blown up 20K and worsened the ride I've decided to eat humble pie and carry that sand bag after all.

Quote:
(I have placed a couple of bags of old books totalling 60 kgs in my boot area).
Yours must be one heck of a smart scorpio !!
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yours must be one heck of a smart scorpio !!
@Mudmover, I couldn't think of a better use for them, as my kids are too small to read my old textbooks now..
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

@MudMover: saar, I had told you not to fit CFLs. Anyways you can still get the retrofitment done for the original leafs to the new dual stage leafs that are coming with Bolero's now. The action will be much more firm no bouncing at all.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@MudMover: saar, I had told you not to fit CFLs. Anyways you can still get the retrofitment done for the original leafs to the new dual stage leafs that are coming with Bolero's now. The action will be much more firm no bouncing at all.
Yes you were right dada! At the moment I'm thinking of getting the old leafs put back on at the next service. It would be great if you could put up pics of the new leafs -- if they look any different from the old ones.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:28   #104
BHPian

Got the Bolero serviced at 48K. Changed the leaky headlamp under warranty (it costs Rs.2154 otherwise) - the headlamp actually had 1 inch of water inside it! There'll be plenty of B'lore-Cochin runs in the next few months in connection with my sis-in-law's wedding, so I thought I'll get the engine oil changed as well even though it was due to be changed only at 50K. Strangely, this time the engine oil has been changed to Valvoline, though earlier they were using only M&M oils. I stood there and watched them do it just to make sure they didn't do it as mentioned in this thread -- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...awk-4x4-2.html . I thought the decarbonising was supposed to be done only once the odo is in the lakhs? Isn't it a bit too early I wonder? Service charges as below.

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 1455
Size:  87.3 KB

The in-laws are changing the rear suspension to the 'softer' CFLs since the ladies were refusing to travel in my Bolero anymore .

@Mods: Can you please update title to "My Bolero Crde 2009 @48000kms: rear CFLs attached"

Last edited by MudMover : 31st August 2010 at 22:40.
Old 1st September 2010, 07:15   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hey MM,

Interesting to note your POV.

Good you got the HL changed under warranty.

Please go for normal Factory OE leaf springs. Ofcourse, you could differ if you wanna be a test rig for CFL guys. Its ok to test out CFLs for a short duration, but not otherwise.

I strongly feel that the CFL guys should give you a free replacement with the softer ones as that is what you wanted.

If they decline, just throw them out and go back to OE stuff. I somehow never felt the rear to be a problem but only the front!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed