Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2009, 12:44   #1
BHPian

Honda City-1.5GXI-32K Ownership report

Hi,
It is 3 years now with my beloved Honda city and I am planing to change! Still test driving cars...too many choices but nothing that excites(read- has all that I need at a price point I think is practical. I am still reading through the threads to help select!). Here is what I have to say about my Honda City.

Model: Honda City/1.5 GXi
Color : Alabaster Silver metallic
On road price (B'lore): 7.92L
Accessories added: Seat covers, steering covers, car cover etc 13K
Services: 8 (including free service) at a cost of 18K which includes -Antennae (dog climbed up & chewed the original!),Horn replacement, wash/interior cleanings, pick up & drop.
Damage Repair - Boot dent repair & repaint (someone rear ended causing a small dent)
Average KMPL - 13.5 to 14 with AC on & spirited driving(whatever left of on Bangalore roads!)
Distance covered - 32K mostly in city with 6 long drives about 200 to 350 km at a time (typical mileage about 17 to 18 KMPL)
total fuel 2280 lits/average 4Rs/km spend/13.89 kmpl

Good bits:
Excellent visibility (except turning right!)
Easy driving in city/tight turning radius/easy to park(can turn steering with 2 fingers!)
Great gear shift/light clutch
Super chilling AC
Bright interior with good quality controls/stalks etc
Great leg room all around, 3 normal built adults can sit in rear bench without much difficulty
Huge trunk volume
Even after 3 years runs like new/no squeeks/vibration etc
Large door mirros
Good service (Dakshin)
Reliability - The best - 3 yrs nothing has broken/squeaked
Bad bits:
No ABS/Airbag (had no other choice at the time)
Brakes lacks bite at Highway speed
Overtaking at highway needs lots of work (lack of power)
A pillar obstructs view
Low Ground Clearance This is the single most grouse I had on city. Need to think before you head out on road! Touches big humps when driving solo at crawling speed(few of the recent changes in hump specification are for better). If 4 on board touches every hump in Bangalore! This is nasty! Nothing happened to my car so far !(6 of my colleagues had devastating effect of oil sump damage.1 of them at dead of the night in some remote village! Another time 5 people traveling had to get down when the car got stranded on a hump near BTM layout!) Everytime you hit a hump, you miss a heart beat & start looking at rear view mirror & instument panel!
Honda arrogance: Many times I complained to honda on ground clearance, telling them atleast take care in your next design! Everytime they ask their dealer to contact me..not sure why? I have test driven all honda & in my experience CRV is the only one where ground clearance is not a problem. Not sure why this can not be changed? Even Jazz/New honda city suffer the same problem! Drove both-same problem touches every hump we have in Bangalore when fully loaded! If scraping hump is not an issue, go buy new city, great car at sub 10L. I have decided not to buy new city as I am thinking of doing bit more of exploring around in my next car! Jazz also same problem of ground clearnace & other issues such as not having alloy, climate control, driver seat height adjustment, disc brake on rear wheel, mud flaps & fog lamps! (last 2 part of upgrade package costing 30K+, that is stupid)

Thanks
Gany
Old 29th June 2009, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Good review

Hey, good review. I agree with you fully on the points mentioned. My grudge with Honda is, they continue to take indian consumer for a bully ride by pricing the cars high and not give many features in the car.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:21   #3
BHPian

Very nice review and spot on with your observations, except the ground clearance bit (my opinion only). I also have a 3 year old City, with approx. same km reading as yours. To be honest, I have never faced an issue with ground clearance, which I feel is pretty good.

Otherwise, you have hit the nail on the head. This is one of the most stress-free rides you could have BUT also one which does nothing whatsoever for the "passion" for driving.

Good, sensible, practical, every day use car. That about sums it up.

Oh BTW, we have one more thing in common.....my car was rear-ended by a tempo on Friday, so the "small dent on the boot" part is also consistent here.

Last edited by kurmist : 29th June 2009 at 14:24.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Very good review. Seems quite honest except the last point - ground clearance. So far, I have managed to stay safe with the speed breakers. I guess in the last two years, I have mastered the art of navigating over them.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:43   #5
BHPian

Maybe it is with Bangalore roads, we have few nasty ones! In my test drive on ANHC also I found the same...bad luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks