Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent @ 60000 Kms – Review

Hi every one,

I bought this car 2nd hand, it’s a 2001 DEC model Hyundai Accent GLS petrol, it has served me faithfully for last two years, and hence I am writing this report.
Hyundai Accent @ 60000 Kms – Review-img_0357_1_qq.jpg
I was looking out for a small car in exchange of my old 800, but seriously I didn’t wanted to pay 4.5 lakhs + for a small car, and neither liked many in looks, This is when i saw this black beauty at a dealership, I thought it would be too costly but when the dealer said 2.8 L, I was stunned. I immediately washed away my plans of buying a small car.

2.8 L onroad for a Hyundai Accent GLS that was even 25000 cheaper than Alto Lxi and it has everything that the alto didn’t have:
1. 1.5 L engine
2. Driver height adjust seat (I have never used it but)
3. Excellent AC
4. Tachometer
5. Defogger
6. All 4 power windows
7. central lock
8. spacious boot
9. elegant style and looks
10. wider tyres
Hyundai Accent @ 60000 Kms – Review-img_0362_qq.jpg
Why should I ever buy even a Alto for 3.2 L just for mileage, I do not regret my decision for my 2nd hand purchase because:

1. I only have to pay Comprehensive insurance of 7K and not 25 K if I had bought a brand new sedan.
2. The service costs and spares are cheaper for the Accent.
3. The class and feeling, ride quality i get driving this Accent cannot be beaten by any small car even if I spend 5L for it.
4. The depreciation is minimal, I can still drive the car for 2 more years and sell it for 1.5 L.

I have clocked 14000 Kms in 2 years, it was 44k when I bought it. The mileage I get is 8 to 8.5 kmpl always with AC in city, and highways I haven’t got more than 12, but it doesn’t matters.

Hyundai Accent @ 60000 Kms – Review-img_0349_1_qq.jpg
Expenses faced in 2 years:
1. Front 2 new tyres : 6000
2. Clutch overhaul : 9000
3. bearing change : 4000
4. Regular service brake pads etc : 8000 (3 services)

Suspension ride quality still is superb, I have driven many new sedans in 6L to 7L range, but frankly no sedan is giving me something very different in terms of styling, power which will make me spend 5 L more, except for Hyundai Verna CRDI which I drove was mind blowing, but very much away from my budget.

This is not a technical review, but if people in a tight budget dream of something more this is it, save the extra money in PPF or FD rather than paying heavy EMI / insurance for a new car. Next I dream of Hyundai Sonata Embera which 45 K driven was quoted 5L negotiable but it’s not time to change now.

Note: i am not defending any Alto owner,alto is a very good car, just taken it for comparision for the price point.

Thanks
Krish
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Accent @ 60000 Kms – Review-img_0339_qq.jpg  

Last edited by krish82 : 30th June 2009 at 19:57.
krish82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2009, 00:42   #2
BHPian

accent is an excellent car. The first Sedan we had. But after crossing 90K kms, the pikup in 2nd gear just died, do not know the reason and we sold off the car at 100K which it completed within 3 years and got Corolla H4 which is still doing duty with us since last 4 years and has more than 125K on ODO!!
Old 1st July 2009, 08:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hi every one,

I bought this car 2nd hand, it’s a 2001 DEC model Hyundai Accent GLS petrol, it has served me faithfully for last two years, and hence I am writing this report.
@Krish82 your car looks absolutely beautiful. Dunno if it the background or you have maintained it. I was at the HDFC ATM yesterday night and happened to see a Accent parked and it still demands a second look. Lancer and the Accent have got timeless looks.
Old 1st July 2009, 08:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
2.8 L onroad for a Hyundai Accent GLS that was even 25000 cheaper than Alto Lxi
Why should I ever buy even a Alto for 3.2 L just for mileage, I do not regret my decision for my 2nd hand purchase because:

2. The service costs and spares are cheaper for the Accent.
4. The depreciation is minimal, I can still drive the car for 2 more years and sell it for 1.5 L.
I doubt that Accent is cheaper to maintain than Alto. Alto has one of the least cost of spares and service.
Again I think that this amount will not be extracted after the car has crossed 80K kms. In general people think consider the life of engine as 1 lakh kms. Now if you have done 60K kms. overall, then you can expect, but once the figure of 80K kms is touched, then its quite difficult to expect some good resale.
That said, Accent is one car that holds its value quite long. The only other car that managed this was Esteem in that segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Lancer and the Accent have got timeless looks.
IIRC, quite some time ago, Daimler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi were part of GAC called Global Automotive Alliance. Here they used to share engines. But for the Lancer that hit India, the platform was shared a bit with Hyundai and Hyundai utilized it for Accent. Thsi can be seen from shape fo tail lights and oveall general profile. This is what I have read in magazines and on internet so cannot determine if this is true or not. But just to show that they might be connect in one way or the other.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice

But how come you paid 9K for a clutch overhaul?
I recently got it done for 6.5K at hyundai A.S.S
Old 1st July 2009, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice

But how come you paid 9K for a clutch overhaul?
I recently got it done for 6.5K at hyundai A.S.S
Yeah i will check up the parts bill and post it soon.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:13   #7
BHPian

Today 1 july is the day the vehcle came to my home, i still remember that excitement. But whats life, a new model comes and you are in for that, you dont feel the same as first day. i was just trying to recollect how i felt this day 2 years ago,i had taken leave from office and driving it the whole day, this is the first comfortable sedan i own and i wll never forget it.

Previously i used to polish it every 15 days regularly, but now the car is washed every day with water markes left over by cleaner. I think its been more than 5 months i polished it, i had planned for lot of mods for the accent , but was never able to make it.

Krish
Old 1st July 2009, 13:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
@Krish82 your car looks absolutely beautiful. Dunno if it the background or you have maintained it. I was at the HDFC ATM yesterday night and happened to see a Accent parked and it still demands a second look. Lancer and the Accent have got timeless looks.
This was a signle owner vehcle maintained well by the owner as well as me, I have some problem with myself even a tiny dangling switch or rattle gives me sleepliess nights and i take the car to get those fixed immediately ASAP.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to see a fellow Accent user happy with its purchase and usage. It is a decent no frills car but the petrol version average seems to be quite appalling whereas the diesel counterpart easily gives 13kmpl in traffic conditions even after redlining it ( in my case)

The exterior looks immaculate and shiny. Keep it that ways, always !!!
Old 6th July 2009, 16:20   #10
BANNED

I have had an Accent 1.5GLS for almost seven years and 50,000km. the fuel average is 10+in town and 13-14 on the highway. I have been very happy with it. The only niggle I had was repeated failure of LH rear damper (four replacements in 25000km). After complaining to Hyundai and a full rear overhaul (foc) last March this too seems to have been fixed. The only other problem I had was the clutch running out of fluid. I now keep and eye on that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks