Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 15:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

1, 00, 000kms DONE.
A new milestone for my Trusty elantra. Touched thr 1lakh mark . Service completed.
So far pretty happy with the vehicle. Highway cruise is easy. Good stable vehicle . Petes box helping with the acceleration.

Attached the service details below.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130905_154653.png
Views: 2593
Size:  729.1 KB
undead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 14:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Change of Headlights.
The OE HEADLIGHTS have lost the light throw effectiveness. So I decided to change the headlights. The OE parts cost around Rs.9000 (incl vat) per light. Felt too coslty so I decided to go for the outside parts shop in coimbatore.
Go the headlights for Rs.5800 (incl vat) for a pair which is Rs.2900 per piece .
Its not OE part. But enough for me. The OE lights if procured from outside OE dealer , costs Rs.6000 per light.

Here is the pic

Name:  ForumRunner_20130918_142041.png
Views: 2516
Size:  931.8 KB
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

re: Scarlet Beast - Hyundai Elantra CRDi with Pete's Box - 1,10,000 kms update

One lakh ain't a big milestone for Elantra.
Interesting to know, that you are able to get Hyundai parts easily from outside that too of an out of production car.

Can you share the details ? Might be useful for my Getz in future.
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:17   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
One lakh ain't a big milestone for Elantra.
Interesting to know, that you are able to get Hyundai parts easily from outside that too of an out of production car.

Can you share the details ? Might be useful for my Getz in future.
True. Going to keep it for more mile munching. I was surprised that I could get the parts easily. Next change is suspension and parts are readily available in that shop. If we want OE Parts there is another person sellinf OE parts for many cars. I will PM you the details.
If you had seen my Getz thread I changed the suspension by sourcing parts from the same shop. You have read it and replied in that thread .
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

1,03,000 kms Update :

The bridgestone RE88 tires have worn out and I have replaced with Yokohama C drives 195/60R15 . Costed Rs.4850 per tire.

I searched for 205/60 R15 , but very few choices were available. I was offered Nankang XR611 for Rs. 4600. Bridgestone GIII costs Rs.7400 . But decided to go with C drives.
I enquired MRF ZLO tires, but the dealers in my town replied that ZLO doesnt come in that size ( both 195/60R15 , 205/60R15) . The size was available in that website. When I posted an enquiry on their website , I received a call from the divisional manager and i was informed that 195/60 is available, and 205/60 is just launched and yet to be delivered to the dealers. But not sure why the local dealer told me that ZLO is not available even in 195/60 R15.

So, another C drive buyer. Hoping that my experience will be pleasant.

Last edited by undead : 2nd December 2013 at 19:24.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:46   #111
Senior - BHPian

Suspension Change

Had to change the shock absorbers as they were very hard . This set of shock absorbers lasted 60000kms . Here was the estimate given by hyundai service.

1. Lower Arm - Rs.9000 per piece
2. Shock Absorbers - Rs.6000 each for front and the rears
3. Tie Rod End and Stabilizer end link - forgot.

The total approximate estimate given was Rs.49000 incl labour ,VAT ,ST etc.

I felt that the parts are too costly and i started searching for aftermarket supplies and i was lucky. Contacted HARNAM AUTOMOBILES in GP road, Chennai and this is what i got,

1. TRW Shock absorbers Front - Rs.4010 set & Rear - Rs.4118 set
2. Formpart Lower Arm - Rs.2000 per piece
3. Tie rod end (asahi) Rs.950 per set
4. Front link (asahi) Rs.1250 per set

Total cost of parts incl shipping etc came to around Rs.15000 .

Fitted them today at the hyundai service centre itself and the labour charges for fitting and alignment plus Bush kit for link (Rs.500) came to Rs.3563 .

Hence , Total cost incurred - Rs.18563

Hyundai is charging a lot for a car that is outdated. The reason given was to make customers to feel that the parts of outdated cars have risen up and change to a newer model.

Next list of purchases planned from aftermarket vendors:
1. Brake pads for front and rear
2. Insulator for front suspension ( hyundai quoting Rs.6000 for the set)

Experience with Harnam automobiles was good. You could find parts for most cars that are of international model .Also the brands which i purchased are TRW - Germany , Formpart - Turkey . Asahi - Malaysia . They assured me that the parts are of reliable quality and he offered me 6 six months guarantee for the Formpart lower arm.

I am pretty satisfied with this purchase as i have saved almost Rs. 30000. The Hyundai service guys advise me that the life of these aftermarket parts will be less compared to the OE parts , but when they heard the price , they were . Then they agreed that this is really a good buy .
undead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 17:32   #112
BHPian

Re: Suspension Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

Experience with Harnam automobiles was good. You could find parts for most cars that are of international model .Also the brands which i purchased are TRW - Germany , Formpart - Turkey . Asahi - Malaysia . They assured me that the parts are of reliable quality and he offered me 6 six months guarantee for the Formpart lower arm.
Hello Sir,

Congrats on this long term report and a very well written review and helpful updates. I have been a silent follower of your thread and appreciate your love for the suv.

I own an Opel Corsa and find parts to be scarce and costly from some of the dealers here in Mumbai / Pune, would you share the # for Harnam automobiles so I could give them a shot and see if they can help .

Sorry for the OT , happy riding !!!

Regards,
Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 19th December 2013 at 17:39.
Old 25th December 2013, 20:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

As i mentioned before, got the prices for brake pads and stud insulator for my elantra from Harnam automobiles and placed the order.

Front Brake pads set - As per hyundai Rs.3000. Aftermarket - Rs.1350
Rear Brake pads set - As per hyundai Rs.2800 . Aftermarket - Rs. 1260
Stud insulator kit - As per hyundai Rs.6000 . Aftermarket - Rs. 2900

I will update the brand of the above items once i received the product in hand.
undead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 22:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

All the above parts were received few days back and here is the most interesting part.

1. Front brake pads received are of Mondo company which is the OE suppliers of HYUNDAI.
Price as per hyundai - 3000 approx per set
Price as per purchased from aftermarket dealer - 1350 per set.

Same brake pads. Same company. Same quality. Different prices .

2 . Rear brake pads are by Delphi company.
Old 5th January 2014, 08:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Attached pics of the brake pads

Name:  ForumRunner_20140105_084408.png
Views: 1755
Size:  884.3 KB
undead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 17:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

110000kms service update.

IT was time for the 1,10,000 kms service. Due to the hyundai i got some additional discount (apart from usual discounts) since I am a well known customer to them.

Scarlet Beast - Hyundai Elantra CRDi with Pete's Box - 1,10,000 kms update-20140306_172212.jpg

Scarlet Beast - Hyundai Elantra CRDi with Pete's Box - 1,10,000 kms update-20140306_172226-medium.jpg

Rear brake pads changed. Front brake pads needs to be changed (good enough for 5000kms ). Stud insulator changed.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:38   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scarlet Beast - Hyundai Elantra CRDi with Pete's Box - 1,10,000 kms update

Wow, somehow I missed this thread until now...

I am your "engine cousin". I drive the Tucson which has exactly the same engine as your Elantra. It's a fantastic engine. It must be performing even better in Elantra due to lesser weight and better aerodynamics. I love this version of Elantra, for some reason i like the looks. Much better than the current fluidic nonsense that's going around :-)

I read all the pages of this thread in one go. Congrats on the Autocross win from Jan 2011 :-) I have heard good things about Elantra's handling. As you are running Pete's box, I recommend getting in touch with fellow bhpean Digital Vampire from Bangalore. He is also an engine cousin and a real expert on the Tucson and specifically this engine. He drives a remapped Tucson, has remapped many Tucsons on this forum including mine it has really been great fun ever since the remap. I did use a tuning box before for a few months and I tell you it's nothing compared to DV's remap. It will be an ideal gift for your worthy Elantra. Nobody will be able to keep up with you in the next Autocross

I recently got Michelin Primacy LCs for my Tucson and they have been very good, hope they remain that way till the end. How many kilometers/years did your Primacy LCs serve you? I love the font on those tyres :-)

And thanks for a detailed long term ownership report. I am shocked to see your latest service bills. I also changed the lower arm, shock absorbers (you can see my bills on my thread) and prices are similar. I thought Elantra's will be cheaper. You seem to have taken chances with the aftermarket lower arms. I thought about it but since these are critical components, I decided to stick with Hyundai. But I will be keenly following your experience and if yours last long and keep you safe for kilometers and kilometers (I hope they do), I will follow the same next time (I am going to keep the Tuc forever).

What's this injector cleaning business really? You seem to be doing it every 10,000 km? Why? In last 8 years and 1,32,000 km my injectors haven't been touched - ever!

Wish you years and years of joy with the Elantra and keep sharing your experiences.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 7th March 2014 at 11:42.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 12:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow, somehow I missed this thread until now...

I am your "engine cousin". I drive the Tucson which has exactly the same engine as your Elantra. It's a fantastic engine. It must be performing even better in Elantra due to lesser weight and better aerodynamics. I love this version of Elantra, for some reason i like the looks. Much better than the current fluidic nonsense that's going around :-)

I read all the pages of this thread in one go. Congrats on the Autocross win from Jan 2011 :-) I have heard good things about Elantra's handling. As you are running Pete's box, I recommend getting in touch with fellow bhpean Digital Vampire from Bangalore. He is also an engine cousin and a real expert on the Tucson and specifically this engine. He drives a remapped Tucson, has remapped many Tucsons on this forum including mine it has really been great fun ever since the remap. I did use a tuning box before for a few months and I tell you it's nothing compared to DV's remap. It will be an ideal gift for your worthy Elantra. Nobody will be able to keep up with you in the next Autocross

I recently got Michelin Primacy LCs for my Tucson and they have been very good, hope they remain that way till the end. How many kilometers/years did your Primacy LCs serve you? I love the font on those tyres :-)

And thanks for a detailed long term ownership report. I am shocked to see your latest service bills. I also changed the lower arm, shock absorbers (you can see my bills on my thread) and prices are similar. I thought Elantra's will be cheaper. You seem to have taken chances with the aftermarket lower arms. I thought about it but since these are critical components, I decided to stick with Hyundai. But I will be keenly following your experience and if yours last long and keep you safe for kilometers and kilometers (I hope they do), I will follow the same next time (I am going to keep the Tuc forever).

What's this injector cleaning business really? You seem to be doing it every 10,000 km? Why? In last 8 years and 1,32,000 km my injectors haven't been touched - ever!

Wish you years and years of joy with the Elantra and keep sharing your experiences.

Cheers!
Thank you so much for your kind comments.
1. Regarding the primacy LC, it didn't serve me much due to alignment issues. One of the alignment center didn't do the alignment properly and that was the problem with premature wearing. It was comfortable and silent , but less grip compared to the C-drives i have now.

2.Regarding the suspension, I should have posted the pictures here. You see, the studs were TRW Germany , which came with original packing and used as OE for some companies too. The quality was also good. The Lower arm was also from Turkey company and he gave me warranty for that also . The main thing is that they are not from cheap Chinese company . Also the SA told me that the prices of that parts of the discontinued cars have been inflated unnecessarily to discourage owners to keep the car for long . If you feel the maintenance is higher , you might want to exchange your old car and go for a new one. The Accent brake pads are costlier than the Verna. Its not about the quality here, its just been inflated.

3. Regarding the Fuel injector cleaner, the SA says that, it is used to prevent the rust from the diesel tank going to the injector and also to keep the injector lines free from dust etc. If the injector fails, its gonna be a lot of money to replace it. So thought Rs.250 isn't a big amount for me to keep my engine safe.

4. The remap is really tempting me.

I am also planned to keep the Elantra for long. I have an i10 which ran 4800kms . I planned to sell the elantra and buy an MUV, but decided to sell my i10 instead . The next hunt is already on for a 7 seater.

Last edited by undead : 7th March 2014 at 12:14.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 16:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

I maynot be able to update more on this thread as they car is SOLD .

Reason : Had this vehicle long enough and want to go for a automatic one.
Old 14th June 2015, 16:48   #120
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: Ownership thread closed upon request.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed