Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 01:21   #1
BHPian

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)

Quote:
Note from MOD - Splitting ownership report from Here (Used Palio 1.6 v/s Used Fusion?)
After so much mental deliberation, poring through classifieds, checking cars out for over seven months since we seriously began looking, we finally found what we were looking for. Not far, right here on Team-BHP

My "Wanted" ad for the Fusion and Palio met with low response. But I did get a call from an owner who ultimately sold me the car yesterday. And yes, he too, a BHPian, had posted his car ad on Team-BHP classifieds!

It us quite a while to decide between my first love, the Fiat Palio 1.6 and a Fusion. Thanks to suggestions here and in the Fusion and Palio user groups it did help clear some cobwebs in my mind. I also spoke and took advice from members here like GemiThomas on first hand comparisons between his Adventure and Fusion because he has seen the best of both worlds.

With just two cars on my mind, searching was harder than I expected. Yes both were never popular and hence have low resale value. But finding them is hard. And if they have not been abused (performance cars afterall) and battered you are lucky. And resale value notions (supposedly very poor) go for a toss when the owner knows you are an enthusiast and are looking for a specific model that they have for sale. So they up their price.

It was a slow and painful process. Unfortunately couldn't finalise on any good deals of my first love, the Palio 1.6 (Sport/GTX/S10). Either the cars are good but owners expect too much, or cars are seriously banged up or the car is nice, price is right, but the owner suddenly has a revelation that he may miss his beauty and decides to keep his car, or I just took too long to decide and the car got sold, or I just miss a deal I never heard of only to realise I could have paid a significant premium for that car compared to what it was sold at!

I meanwhile found some nice examples of my second love, the Fusion! Priced
significantly higher than an equivalent condition Palio but still great value. Wife loved the Fusion for its unique looks and space. From not knowing anything about cars she could identify Fusions and Palios and even identify 1.6s among the Palios! Her preference was clear, the Fusion, but every good example of the Palio we would see, she would like it for the lower cost in comparison to the Fusion.

It was really tough deciding and we had to up the budget we had set aside for a Palio significantly to pick up a Fusion. In fact it took us over 2 months to make up our mind after seeing Guna's Fusion, the first Fusion we saw. We also had a hard time deciding between two very similar spec Fusion+s, same colour, same year, both +. My wife had taken a liking for Fusions for the looks, space and exclusivity reasons while I was holding on to my first love in the Palio.

Among all the cars we saw, one stood out for the way it was lovingly maintained. It was a silver Fusion + with ABS belonging to a fellow BHPian. Virtually immaculate, it was in pristine condition. Even though it had run a significant amount you could hardly tell its age. I liked the way the owner looked after the car.

We took a liking for it, while still searching for options. Upped our budget significantly and decided to make an offer. Meanwhile all this conFusion of Ford discontinuing the Fusion. Friend advised I drop the plan or reduce the offer I made. Many couldn't see sense in going for a "flop" car. But I could see the practicality the Fusion offered! So whether being discontinued or not, I decided to stick to my offer.

Meanwhile I got busy at work and also had this bike tumble. Finally more than two months after we first saw the Fusion+ we managed to close the deal.

So there it is folks. Our first car is a 2005 (Dec) Ford Fusion + ABS, belonging to a fellow BHPian! Not exactly because I found it better than a Palio (it is on several counts, but then again not on others). But has got to do more with availability, condition, timing and luck!

The car is in stock condition with every tiny part and accessory in place. The owner even gave me an Original Fusion brochure that he took from the dealer before he got the car. I was thrilled!

Immediate expenses I see include Insurance renewal (in a couple of weeks) and Tyre replacements in the near future (5000 km). Battery may be near end of life, considering it is a 3 year old car!

Thanks for all your advice, it sure was of great help.

Cheers,

Glifford.

PS: Wondering whether it would be appropriate to share the name of the owner on a public forum, more so as he is a BHPian himself. Decided not to for obvious privacy reasons.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2009 at 13:19.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:22   #2
BHPian

Congratulations Glifford!

Finally you set your hands on what you liked the most and that ends the Con-Fusion

Btw..is it the Petrol or Diesel? Do post the pics and your feedback of driving experience.

Cheers~
Old 9th December 2008, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post

Finally you set your hands on what you liked the most and that ends the Con-Fusion

Btw..is it the Petrol or Diesel? Do post the pics and your feedback of driving experience.

Cheers~
It should be a petrol since Diesel was launched much later.
Congrats Glifford,I hope she delivers what you had strived for since long.
Now I dont i need to say pics
Old 9th December 2008, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sir!

Quote:
Petrol. Back in 2005 there were no DuraTorq TDCi Diesel Fusions! It is an old look one.

And for the pics, I yet have to click any, as it has been standing in my basement parking slot since we got it home. Awaiting name transfer since hypothecation cancellation (for the first owner) will take some time. But then again there are some nice ones of it already on this forum. Clicked by one of the best cameras you can get!

Just search for a Silver Fusion for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

COngrats, how much you picked it for? or did i miss the price if you have already mentioned it

anyways no harm in repeating
Old 9th December 2008, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Glifford!
I myself was searching for Palio 1.6 or Fusion, and freezed on Palio when I found one in good condition.

I am eagerly awaiting the pictures of your car.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:27   #7
SYJ
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy bro, the fusion is a much better choice when compared to the palio, also, getting a good palio is getting harder these days!!
Old 10th December 2008, 16:26   #8
BHPian

Pics & other details!

Thanks akshay4587, lohithrao and vinit.merchant for those wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
<snip> And yes, he too, a BHPian, had posted his car ad on Team-BHP classifieds!
<snip>
PS: Wondering whether it would be appropriate to share the name of the owner on a public forum, more so as he is a BHPian himself. Decided not to for obvious privacy reasons.
I had initially decided not to reveal the name of the seller (as he is a member here), but after repeated requests, I checked with him if I could directly point to his classified ad and re-use his pics. He was kind enough to give his permission. So this is the advert for the Fusion we picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Now I dont i need to say pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am eagerly awaiting the pictures of your car.
Ever since we got her home, she has been parked in the dark basement parking as we await transfer formalities (including old hypothecation cancellation) and I'm not too sure of my rusty driving skills. Not the best place for decent photographs. Both in terms of background and ambient light. Built-in flash will not do justice! So here again I requested Guna if I can reuse his pics (clicked by his high end cam) from the classified advert. So here they are (attached). Obviously, they are not clicked by me! Touched them up slightly (exposure) in Picasa and watermarked them.

Credit for the way the car is maintained goes to Guna of course!

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-1.-frontleft1.jpg
Front left quarter.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-2.-frontright1.jpg
Front right quarter. (I wish the grille was designed better and gelled in well with those lozenge headlamps)

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-3.-left1.jpg
Profile from the left. (I wish the roof didn't taper down at the back).

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-4.-rearleft.jpg
From the rear left quarter.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-5.-steering.jpg
Interiors and Dash

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-6.-interior.jpg
Genuine + Art leather interiors. Notice the door insets in the same fabric/material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
Congrats on the new buy bro, the fusion is a much better choice when compared to the palio,
Thanks SYJ. "Much better" I am not sure but yes on some counts and not on others. Definitely a bigger and more expensive car tho'. Am keeping my fingers crossed so that I don't get to face the dire consequences of a tryst with Ford Maintenance and Spare pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
also, getting a good palio is getting harder these days!!
True, getting decently maintained Palios can be hard. Surprising considering that so many of them are around in Bangalore. In that aspect I got to see two well maintained (one decently well, this one excellent) Fusions within my stretched budget. Considering that they are so rare!
Old 10th December 2008, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car is in excellent condition and virtually scratchless. Used to be in very good hands looks like.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:52   #10
BHPian

Amazing car, looks fabulous and new, you should be lucky to find a fusion like this in Blore..

Congrats mate
Old 10th December 2008, 17:31   #11
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

That's a fabulous looking Fusion. Will look forward to your first ownership report
Old 11th December 2008, 00:52   #12
BHPian

congratz for your amazing buy dude!
the car looks in amzing condition and the interiors look great too.
enjoy!!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Cool dude! Its in excellent condition as per the pics!

So for how much you picked it up..i hope you can now share this too!
Old 11th December 2008, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Thanks!

Thanks Vinit, crn12, JVH, ShantyRocks and Rudrah!

As I said, credit for the condition should go to Guna. He's looked after it well! Commendable job in Bangalore traffic conditions for sure!

Plan to take it out tonight and shoot some more pics (mainly interiors). Will upload them tomorrow if I can.

Quote:
So for how much you picked it up..i hope you can now share this too!
Actually I have permission for that too. But I thought of not sharing :P

May do it tomorrow with the new pics.

Last edited by Glifford : 11th December 2008 at 18:08. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 11th December 2008, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Well maintained car,does it have the same Fiesta motor.

Most Viewed