Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 10:34   #16
BHPian

Mods, can the title be changed to include 'PICS attached'. thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.

One thing I missed out from original post are:

Reva comes with tubeless tyres - recommended pressure is 36! I was shocked when I heard it first and so are the petrol pump boys whenever I to go fill air. That's another place I am unpopular, because I don't fill petrol but fill air only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
yeah!! saving the environment!! hats off to you. I am doing my bit, only driven my ikon 2100kms in 6months.
I have seen many Reva's in delhi way back in 2002-03. They have their showroom at Greenpark area there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A good and complete review there! Thanks!

It does takes a lot of conviction to put ~4laks on a car which, you know, does not have the best of ROI, but then when you talk of saving the environment - hats off to you Pachchu!
thanks. Saving the environment is why I looked at Reva in the first place but it was other factors listed in original post there were deciding factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
One of the best ownership reviews and frankly even without pictures I can imagine how happy & satisfied you are with the car and how well it is meeting all your needs.

Wishing you many many happy 'Charge-Discharge' cycles on your Reva.

PS: I will think it is you if I see a reva driver pulling of stunts on bangalore roads,:-)
thanks. I do my bit to improve the image of Reva drivers on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Post some pictures, and what color did you pick up?

Did you know the REVA is the only car in India that can offer you close to 2000 shades.
I still remember a person who wanted to have the car the same colour as the saree his wife donned. It was wonderful, PINK.
I know. Their body-color palette book is far more confusing than picking a color for your walls from asian paints palette book. So, as you can see, we opted for white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The best aspect i like about the car is the noiseless cabin and the ease to park.
Mr. Bhaskar Roy was the GM- marketing then, did you meet him. He usually makes it a point to speak to every customer.
Congratulations on your purchase, Again, Nice review.
Thanks.

The cabin is quite noise-less, that is until the A/C remains off.

I must have met him at the Reva-i launch, but haven't met him after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Do you recharge the battery every night or do you let it run down? Does this affect the battery life?
I don't recharge every night. They recommend that, as much as possible, you should recharge only when you see the low battery indicator. This gives real depth to the battery, i.e. you get more miles (kms) per charge. Since my usage is around 40-60/wk, I recharge once a week.

The disadvantage is, if you want to drive long (20-30 kms) over the weekend when you have already used up 70% of the battery, you cannot. So, that needs a little bit of planning.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant review, Pachchu. I really loved the way you summarize, and also the way you explained the look on others faces while you zoomed off after blurting out the price. Certainly deserving of a 5 star status.

I got to try out a Reva at one of their exhibitions in Bangalore, and it surely felt like a toy. As for my wife, she was so thrilled, she would have bought one for sure, if i hadnt locked away our finances from her. Heck, even now she hasnt gotten the thought of owning one outta her head.

Between, how frequently do you need to replace the batteries, and what monetary damage would you be looking at then?
Old 20th July 2009, 12:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Pachchu

Today, me and my boss were discussing about electric cars while having lunch at singapore polo club. My boss told me that he expects Indians and chinese would be ahead than others in small electric cars than big brands.

i returned to the office and in my spare time i just connected to TBHP and here is a review on electric car, i think a first one on T-BHP

Great one, deserves 5 star rating.
a whole lot different world compared to our cars.
thanks for sharing your experience with us.
I hope to save the world in near future like you.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:47   #19
BHPian

That's a very crisp ownership report, 50p per Km is amazing, I spend close to Rs 7 per Km.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:20   #20
BHPian

5 star thread. Excellent review. Enough information for potential prospects to take a call...
Old 20th July 2009, 13:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

The pics are as good as the review itself. Very detailed.

Can you post one more showing the rear seat space, with all seats in normal positions. Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 13:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Amongst the best reviews I've read. I was after the Reva for sometime - to get some respite from BLR city traffic. But gave up after seeings its price.

I wonder what tuners will say if someone asks them to "power-up" the Reva !
Old 20th July 2009, 14:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Amongst the best reviews I've read. I was after the Reva for sometime - to get some respite from BLR city traffic. But gave up after seeings its price.

I wonder what tuners will say if someone asks them to "power-up" the Reva !
Mag's tuning box - 10 Red evereadys tape together and piggyback on the batterypack!
Old 20th July 2009, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Excellent review, nice pics with good description, got to know about Reva much better now. Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Mag's tuning box - 10 Red evereadys tape together and piggyback on the batterypack!
Make it a Duracell instead of evereadys
Old 20th July 2009, 15:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as everyone has already pointed out.
Thank you labeling the dash/other parts of the car.

We sometimes refer each other as petrolheads, dieselheads, etc. Now we have too add batteryheads too !

EDIT: How is the pulling power on climbing parking ramps?

Last edited by pulsar56 : 20th July 2009 at 15:29.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:56   #26
BHPian

Excellent review. One of the best. Truly a 5 star material. Cute li'l car. Looks good in white. What's the battery life (company claims) and how much it costs for a new set??

*Filling only air in petrol pumps* .
Old 20th July 2009, 16:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review, succint and interesting!

What I love about EVs is the instant max torque. Even the EVs (mahindra Bijlee) meant for ferrying people at the AIIMS in Delhi take off like a sports car, but the fun ends there.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Non-polluting, I don't think so

That was a really nice review.

Glad to know that you are fully satisfied with your REVA.

There is just one thing about electric cars which I find difficult to digest - Electric cars are aggressively marketed as non-polluting vehicles.

Agreed that electric cars do not burn fuel (petrol/diesel/LPG/CNG) inside their engines. But where do you think electricity comes from ?

Most of the electricity in this country is generated in thermal power stations by burning some type of fossil fuel (coal).

So, unless one is 100% sure that the electricity being used to charge the batteries of electric vehicles is being generated through renewable sources of energy (hydel/wind/solar), I feel that it is not correct to market electric vehicles as non-polluting vehicles.

No offence meant to any REVA owners, jut putting forward my opinion.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 20th July 2009, 17:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
That was a really nice review.

Glad to know that you are fully satisfied with your REVA.

There is just one thing about electric cars which I find difficult to digest - Electric cars are aggressively marketed as non-polluting vehicles.

Agreed that electric cars do not burn fuel (petrol/diesel/LPG/CNG) inside their engines. But where do you think electricity comes from ?

Most of the electricity in this country is generated in thermal power stations by burning some type of fossil fuel (coal).

So, unless one is 100% sure that the electricity being used to charge the batteries of electric vehicles is being generated through renewable sources of energy (hydel/wind/solar), I feel that it is not correct to market electric vehicles as non-polluting vehicles.

No offence meant to any REVA owners, jut putting forward my opinion.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Very valid point. No EV is entirely a non-polluting vehicle as long as electricity is produced with pollution.

But looking at load-shedding in Bangalore due to lack of rains in this part of the world, the KA Govt would have you believe that all the electricity is coming from Hydel power...

it's a much longer discussion and probably OT. I do have a few thoughts which I can discuss if there's another thread of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Excellent review. One of the best. Truly a 5 star material. Cute li'l car. Looks good in white. What's the battery life (company claims) and how much it costs for a new set??

*Filling only air in petrol pumps* .
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Between, how frequently do you need to replace the batteries, and what monetary damage would you be looking at then?
Typically battery should last around 3-4 years if used extensively. You know you have to replace the battery when you start seeing the miles/charge going down steadily. Mine is still on the way up, because I haven't used the car extensively, so I hope to replace it in 5-6 years.

As per Reva claims, it costs around 60K for replacing the full set of lead-acid sealed batteries in the car. Replacing the full-set is recommended.

Rumor mill has it that the Lithium batteries (gives more miles/charge and less time to fully recharge) cost around 1.5L. It is still a research in progress.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good review mate. My better half wanted one, but I convinced her that we cannot have one with it's current sticker price and it wasn't practical as a primary car.

Most Viewed