Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 14:15   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
3 services since the upgrade. Not a Q asked. Don't worry, it won't harm you in any way.
Thanks Sachin
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
No I do not remove the setup prior to servicing. They would hardly have the time to examine the engine bay in such detail. Only if you have some electrical problem would they try to pin the blame on the upgraded bulbs.
So go ahead and upgrade esp if you do a lot of highway driving at night. OTOH, if you are still in doubt, some members in this forum have only upgraded bulbs to provide better lighting without increasing their wattage. Check the auto lighting thread where one member has put up images of before and after upgrades.
Thanks. Initially I upgraded the bulb to Osram Night breaker, it increased the lighting effect by 30-40%. But if it rains or even drizzles then the visibility becomes very poor. Hence now I have upgraded the bulbs to Hella Rally 100/90 through the relay kit.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms

Yesterday got my baby serviced at UM Cars Indranagar for it's 30,000 km service.

Costs:
Got shell 15W40 Name:  helix_hx6.gif
Views: 3774
Size:  14.6 KB
three litres from Tippasandra (Rs777/-) and this went in, others were: grease sachet 22/-, oil assy plug 70/-, oil filter 330/- and consumables 100/-
Labour was service 800/-, caliperpin greasing 150, fog lamp bulb replace 80/-, (I think both F/L were ok but not sure, however in the parts above no F/L was charged, so how come they charged for change but not the part??) I should have asked them. battery testing 20, and A/C filter replace 100/- , again they never charged me for the filter itself :-)
Experience.
I reached the place at 8 am, thay claimed to open at 7, and was greeted by a noob, there was no one else there. he took the car and called his supervisor Madhu, and put me on the phone with him. so I explained that there was no problem with the car and normal service would be required along with EGR cleaning as mentioned in the service book. On enquirin g about the cost of EGR cleaning he said he will phone my as soon as he finds out. This seemed weird to me as EGR cleaning should be familiar to him. So I left the car and waited for his call which never came so after a reminder he calls and says it will cost 1350/- for labour. Because we will have to remove so many things to get to the EGR so I told him is it really required and he said no so that settled it and I said no to EGR cleaning as well as no to engine flush, wheel balance and alignment.
I was in the vicinity at 3 pm so dropped in to see the car being washed. and it would be ready by 5;30.
Came back to find it being cleaned, Total damages was 1864/- . Done a good job overall rate it 7/10. SA was good enough to show me the A/c filter replacement and all the other things they had done.

I didn't do EGR cleaning because of the reluctance I sensed in the SA and of the fear that they, in the process will muck around with something else, and the car was performing admirably. In fact during my last run from Mumbai to Konduskar, Kholapur i clocked FE at 24.6 doing speeds of 80 kmph.

All in all a very satisfying experience with the car till date. Cant say the same for their service though.

Last edited by goandude : 30th March 2012 at 08:54.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

Post 30k service feedback

The post 30k service I have described above, but later I was in for a shocker. Found oil under the engine block. Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p1020493.jpgTook the car back to UM but being a Sunday the SA who did my service was not there. So I gave a mouthful to One of the ppl there and found the O ring not properly fitted. Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p1020495.jpg

Shameful. replaced and then OK.

Few days after this wife complained that glove compartment was not closing like something was stuck. So thanks to a previous post, where AC filter was changed, I removed the compartment and found thisLong awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p1020506.jpg
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p1020508.jpg
Couldn't find a place where it fitted. Anyone can help identify the part??

Mods: could you add to title of this thread " : Now at 30 k km"
Old 8th March 2013, 18:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

After living with the OE music system for a long time, 35 k km, eventually decided I need an upgrade. The weak point I felt is the speakers, there was little or no bass and the SQ sucked. So I went to the ICE section and did a bit of research and the more I read the more confused I got. Even a simple thing of tweeter placement required some serious thought. Then I didn't want to change the OE look of the car, so that took some hammering when I went to some installers around Bangy and found I have to put a MDF board on top of the rear parcel shelf and I have to make holes for the tweeters. OE look was ditched.
Next look around the various installers mentioned on this forum and found that Sachin's autoshop had the best prices by far. Very good experience when I went there the first time on my rounds. So decided on Sachin's. Some pics..Fronts coming offLong awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00566.jpg
rears removed
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00570.jpg
damping material imported no brand name
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00569.jpg
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00568.jpg
mdf board
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00573.jpg
hole in A pillar
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00574.jpg
ovals going in
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00576.jpg
finished result tweeters
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00577.jpg
rear ovals finished
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00579.jpg
old speakers and new speakers
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dsc00571.jpg

How does it sound? Well it is a huge improvement over the stock set up BUT at high volumes (>25) the components tend to crack up, but I hardly ever play music that loud. The damping has resulted in lower road noise and nice clean sound. Overall these speakers are a little bright so I have reduced the treble and it sounds ok to me. Thanks to all who helped me find a good balance of budget vs SQ. Nly question that haunts me "why did I not do this earlier?"

Mods could you add in the title "35 K Km and ICE upgraded"

Last edited by goandude : 8th March 2013 at 18:49. Reason: added text
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 13:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

This thread needed an update as a few events have happened since 35k kms.

At 38900 km took the car to Bangalore motor works and Santosh did a service and car was behaving well. Took her to Vishakapatnam for a >2000 km drive in end May.

Then on 13 Aug at 43100 km while taking a corner at a higher than normal speed the rear end skidded out and touched a tree as a result:-Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-accident-2.jpg

The damage was only to the body work so called up Bajaj Alliance insurance and drove the car to bimal, whitefield. The repairs took a month, as the flooring under the stepney was damaged and as it was a slow moving part had to wait for it to come from the factory. here is what it looked like under repairLong awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p9050055.jpg
all damaged parts cut off

Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-p9100003.jpg
parts replaced and awaiting painting.

Here is the finished vehicleLong awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-side-ciew.jpg
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-rear-view.jpg

I felt the job was well done.
Total damages were 45k of which I paid 16K and insurance the rest.

Then decided to change the MRF ZVTVs besides the hard ride it had no grip. so here is what went on.. Michelin 185/65/15 made in China tyres same size as stock which cost me 5600 a tyre with a buy back of old ones @ 2000 per tyre. Balancing, alignment and nitrogen included at pit stop Kamanahalli.Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-tyres.jpg
Ride is more comfortable.
PS this is the 4th set of tyres on my car
Old 18th October 2013, 09:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS this is the 4th set of tyres on my car
4th set in just under 40k
Old 20th October 2013, 07:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
4th set in just under 40k
Agreed, but then I got reasonable buy back on all the old sets. And the change from 14" to 15" was done for the sake of the alloys
Old 13th January 2014, 18:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, Just got my Dzire back from 45k km service from Smart cars Kaggadaspura.

I had not done a full 40 k service so this was like a major service with all fluids changed. PLUS there was a tuk tuk noise coming from the front suspension. It had been there for some time and I suspected it was due to the rock like MRF ZVTVs on 15" rims that contributed to this. Anyway, I changed to Michlins a few months back but the damage to the suspension resulted in the above noise continuing.

Went to Smart cars and gave my car for service on 10/01/14 and told the SA to call me if there were major repairs. Got a call after a few hours saying "sir front suspension is worn and some parts need replacement" I told them to hold on and went there ASAP. found the lower arms, tie rod ends and strut bush kit needed replacement. Cost approx 12 K.

On further questioning he says that this is quite normal in 45 -50 k km swifts but slightly later on petrol ones. Anyway I gave the go ahead.

Got the vehicle back on 11-1-14. Driven 100 kms over the weekend and am quite delighted as the vehicle runs like new. The rush at 2000 rpm is back with a bang, suspension is sorted out and the car feels planted over rough roads. Here is the cost breakdown
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-45kservice.jpg

Forgot to add OE battery was showing signs of getting weak. changed to Amaron black for 4700/-

Last edited by goandude : 13th January 2014 at 18:32.
Old 13th January 2015, 16:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

A year has passed since the last post. Car has been running smoothly and now at 55000 KM. A Mumbai and Ooty trip were the highlights.

Today went for a drive at 0530 and it was dark. I had low beams on and when I switched to high beams the hi beams came on for a moment and then went off. Dash light indicating hi beams was lit. Drove on lo beams for the rest of the journey.

Took the car to Smart Cars Kaggadasapura. Both bulbs hi beams filament fused. Cause, a rat had eaten into a wire and caused a short, fusing both hi beams.

I have a question. Isn't a fuse supposed to blow and prevent this sort of thing?

Any way put back by 565/-. 430 for the bulbs (Phillips 100/90) the rest on labor and taxes. Should have bought the bulbs outside at half the cost.
Old 13th January 2015, 16:22   #85
BANNED

Quote:
I have a question. Isn't a fuse supposed to blow and prevent this sort of thing?

Any way put back by 565/-. 430 for the bulbs (Phillips 100/90)
Were they stock bulbs that blew?

Generally the bulbs take the load and blow off, not sure why! I had faced same issue in my Ritz when the left high beam blew twice subsequently but the fuse was fine. Got tired of the OEM bulb so replaced the pair with Osram NB+.
Old 13th January 2015, 16:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Were they stock bulbs that blew?

Generally the bulbs take the load and blow off, not sure why! I had faced same issue in my Ritz when the left high beam blew twice subsequently but the fuse was fine. Got tired of the OEM bulb so replaced the pair with Osram NB+.
No they were replacement bulbs Phillips Essential vision 100/90 with Hella harness done in 2009.
Did you have a rat problem too?
Old 13th January 2015, 18:02   #87
BANNED

Quote:
No they were replacement bulbs Phillips Essential vision 100/90 with Hella harness done in 2009.
Did you have a rat problem too?
No rat problem. It just fused when I was on my way to work. Had spare OEM bulb.
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

An Update to this thread:-
Got my annual service done at Smart Cars Kagadasapura. Odo was at 56700 and a year had passed so decided to do the service early. Since it was a 60,000 km service all fluids were changed and the bill was about 6000/-. Car was running perfectly.

Decided to drive to Goa. As usual the Bangalore Chitradurga road was a beauty so enjoyed the drive cruising at about 100 and went to VRL Stop just before C'durga for breakfast. Post breakfast on the C'durga Hubli section car developed a humming noise. This humm varied with the car speed and not engine revs. Got out checked tyre pressure visually and temperature with the back of my hand all tyres and alloys were normal. A little discussion on my whatsapp group pointed to worn wheel bearing but I could not pin point which wheel. Phoned the Hubli MASS and he gave me directions to reach.

Once there, the car was jacked up and wheels rotated by hand while the technician kept his other hand on the shock absorber to feel vibrations. The rear right bearing had failed and I could feel the vibrations on the shock absorber. Put me back by 1:30 hrs and 1200/- and off we were to the land of beaches.

Why do wheel bearings fail? Quality Control? Maintenance issues? Can anything be done to prevent a recurrence?

This was the second time I have used the Maruti Handbook to find a dealer/ workshop to help on outstation travel. Last time it was a dog hit which screwed my electricals.

Last edited by goandude : 23rd August 2015 at 10:30.
Old 23rd August 2015, 11:14   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Once there, the car was jacked up and wheels rotated by hand while the technician kept his other hand on the shock absorber to feel vibrations. The rear right bearing had failed and I could feel the vibrations on the shock absorber.

Why do wheel bearings fail? Quality Control? Maintenance issues? Can anything be done to prevent a recurrence?
Bearing failure at 57K is good enough IMO.

In my Ritz VDi, the bearing failure was at 64K kms whereas In yet to experience the same failure in my Swift ZDi which is at 53K kms.

Nothing to worry as it is normal wear and tear for cars running on our roads.
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:24   #90
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An Update to this thread:-
Got my annual service done at Smart Cars Kagadasapura. Odo was at 56700 and a year had passed so decided to do the service early. Since it was a 60,000 km service all fluids were changed and the bill was about 6000/-. Car was running perfectly.
Your earlier update mentioned 55k in Jan 2015 and now 56.7k in August so seems like it wasn't used much during this period, probably using the bike more
How was the tuk tuk sound you mentioned in an earlier post fixed ? Any pointers on probable cause will help.
I've noticed I get this sound sometimes in my Dire, will get it checked at the 60k service in a couple of weeks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks