Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 11:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms

Hi guys, after what seemed like ages i finally got my silver VDi. Had been a menber of this forum for a long time and after reading numerous posts comparisions etc finalised on the dzire. the inputs from all Dzire owners on this forum were very helpful.
Any way I booked the vehicle from Calcutta in 40 May as they had shortest waiting period and got delivery on 01 Jul. all this thru an agent in Delhi. the veh was offloaded in Pune 11 Jul and was awaiting ful load on a maruti carrier to bring it down to goa. But after 1 week had gone by I was so frustrated. I got into a train to mumbai then to Pune. Took delivery from the freight agents at 1000 h on 19 Jul. No PDI. Did the unthinkable. No check of engine chasis no. No tyre pressure check. they looked OK to me. took the keys and papers, filled in 43 litres of fuel (tank capacity is 43) so apparently there was 0 fuel in the tank or the pump was not calibrated well.

Drove straight to goa via sankleshwar distance 500 km time 10 hrs. weather rain on and off, heavy after s'wadi.

Now I understand how ppl feel about this car and its awsome engine. The acceleration at and after 2k rpm is amazing. after driving petrol cars all my life my mug was throught the drive. NH4 was a breeze. kept her below 100 (big effort) she handled beautifully, then the broken roads from sankleshwar to sawantwadi tested the suspension set up and tyres. BTW I did not find the JK Tornadoes too bad. The suspension was good. Had a very bad experience while crossing Amboli. There were hordes of ppl there, with their vehicles parked haphazardly, created a massive traffic jam took me 1.5 hrs to cover 4km. They had come to revel in the waterfalls. quite a few were drunk, drenched and delirious. And here i was in a brand new dzire with ty reg hoping no one would do any damage. (Moral of the story : dont pass amboli on sundays in the monsoon)
Then from Sawantwadi around 6 pm the heavy goa rains got me. and drove like that to home in vasco.
So this initial experience covered almost every type of driving condition. smooth 4 laned highway, broken roads, traffic jams, rain, ghats,
and my take:-
Pros; ENGINE the tubo boost enough has been said about it but I must say it again, ergonimic comfort, features, handling, ability to take broken roads, AC, Lack of drop of performance with ac on,
Cons; rear VIsibility sucks big time. running blind in the rain almost. I will fill up and report FE figures. No point in putting up pics as there is nothing diff with my car. changing to apollo acelers this afternoon. Films will come on next clear on front and back and very light tint on the sides.
Also liked the Outside Air Temperature Guage. it went from 28- 30 on NH4 to 22 degrees in amboli.
goandude is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2009, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi guys, after what seemed like ages i finally got my silver VDi. Had been a menber of this forum for a long time and after reading numerous posts comparisions etc finalised on the dzire. the inputs from all Dzire owners on this forum were very helpful.
Any way I booked the vehicle from Calcutta in 40 May as they had shortest waiting period and got delivery on 01 Jul. all this thru an agent in Delhi. the veh was offloaded in Pune 11 Jul and was awaiting ful load on a maruti carrier to bring it down to goa. But after 1 week had gone by I was so frustrated. I got into a train to mumbai then to Pune. Took delivery from the freight agents at 1000 h on 19 Jul. No PDI. Did the unthinkable. No check of engine chasis no. No tyre pressure check. they looked OK to me. took the keys and papers, filled in 43 litres of fuel (tank capacity is 43) so apparently there was 0 fuel in the tank or the pump was not calibrated well.

Drove straight to goa via sankleshwar distance 500 km time 10 hrs. weather rain on and off, heavy after s'wadi.

Now I understand how ppl feel about this car and its awsome engine. The acceleration at and after 2k rpm is amazing. after driving petrol cars all my life my mug was throught the drive. NH4 was a breeze. kept her below 100 (big effort) she handled beautifully, then the broken roads from sankleshwar to sawantwadi tested the suspension set up and tyres. BTW I did not find the JK Tornadoes too bad. The suspension was good. Had a very bad experience while crossing Amboli. There were hordes of ppl there, with their vehicles parked haphazardly, created a massive traffic jam took me 1.5 hrs to cover 4km. They had come to revel in the waterfalls. quite a few were drunk, drenched and delirious. And here i was in a brand new dzire with ty reg hoping no one would do any damage. (Moral of the story : dont pass amboli on sundays in the monsoon)

"Took the bulls by Horn" great love for the vehicle and a sense of desperation in getting the vehicle. Wish you had picked the Vehicle direct from Manesar

What color did you pick?

I Picked a Beige Color recently in Bangalore in 8 days

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...dzire-vdi.html
All said and done, good job and Congratulations.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 20th July 2009 at 11:52. Reason: Forgot to ask the Color and mention about my Vehicle
Old 20th July 2009, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Congratulations friend. Good choice. You got the vehicle from Kolkata ?? Isnt that a bit risky to transport the vehicle on your own ?? Do post some pictures of your car (doesnt matter if there are many already). Atleast one pic.

drive safe.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your dzire vdi mate, can you share more details of your vehicles transportation from kolkatta, expenses and price difference if any.A picture would be appreciated.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:11   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy and enjoy driving her! The Dzire VDi is a great car. One of the best in its segment as well. Do post some pics as well.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th July 2009, 15:48   #6
BHPian

@goandude:Congrats on your new set of wheels! Great choice The Dzire VDI is a dream to drive, personally drive one myself and can vouch for it. Drive safe and have fun with her! This car is real value for money. The only grouse that i have with the car even now is its build quality and brakes, dosn't impress me one bit! Just wish both were a tad better! Jut my two cents! Please put up some pictures, i couldn't because my car left the very next day after delivery for Bangalore and she got holed up there in our house for a couple of months till i went and fetched her back Still regret NOT being able to put up the snaps of the car as a few months had already lapsed by then. The thrill and euphoria of a new car had also more or less subsided by then!

Good to know that you will be upgrading the tyres? Its a MUST. You will find a MARKED difference the moment you start rolling out on the upgraded tyres. I had upgraded my tyres from the thin JK Tornadoes to Bridgestone Potenza GIII 185/70/R14. Was sheer bliss afterwards. Better, bigger, broader tyres, hit that magic spot of 2000 rpm and you feel yourself being catapulted into an altogether new world, if i may say so! Do post your FE figures as well since you seem to have covered more or less all kinds of driving terrain in bringing her home.

Best regards
Smooth Sailing

Last edited by Smooth Sailing : 20th July 2009 at 15:52.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:57   #7
BHPian

Congrats buddy. Post some pics of your Dzire VDI.
Old 21st July 2009, 08:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Initial FE figures and tyre upgrade

Thanks all you guys.
Filled the tank again and 22.7 litres went in. I had done 515 km from Pune that is 22.68 kmpl. Good I think esp for the first time.
Got a great deal on Yoko A drives 185/70/14 for 8200/- in exchange for the 4 tornadoes, floor mats, 60% tints on the sides and rear window. these are very light shade and gives a sense of airiness in an other wise poor visibility car.
Now with the tyres, the music, the AC and the whoosh at 2K. I feel like a boy again. (i'm 51 yrs young).
Agree with you smooth sailing tyres make a huge diff.
Hey can anyone of you technically minded guys bottle the smell of a new car and the put it in the market. I'm sure youll do great buisness, I for one just LOVE the smell of a new car.
I got the car thru CSD and it was 5.18 ex showroom. taxes, transportation insurance (45% NCB) and handling came to 40K more. Thus the hassle of calcutta delivery.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:21   #9
BANNED

Nice Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks all you guys.
Filled the tank again and 22.7 litres went in. I had done 515 km from Pune that is 22.68 kmpl. Good I think esp for the first time.
Good choice dude, and superb fuel efficiency as well on your first drive.
Like the others have said, please post some pictures of your car before the excitement wears out.
Happy Motoring....
Old 21st July 2009, 11:07   #10
BHPian

Congrats Goandude! Join the club of proud Dzire owners. You got an unbelivable FE on maiden drive. I am getting that with 16,000 on odo. The first 10,000 it never crossed 20 kmpl. Hope you didn't cruise on the first drive. Not a good idea for a new car. It needs varying speeds (RPM).

Would suggest a headlamp upgrade to 100/90. The stock lamps are dim.

Enjoy the car, safe driving.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Congrats Goandude! Join the club of proud Dzire owners. You got an unbelivable FE on maiden drive. I am getting that with 16,000 on odo. The first 10,000 it never crossed 20 kmpl. Hope you didn't cruise on the first drive. Not a good idea for a new car. It needs varying speeds (RPM).

Would suggest a headlamp upgrade to 100/90. The stock lamps are dim.

Enjoy the car, safe driving.
Thanks. Your review and those of TOR, F1fan and other owners were mostly responsible for my decision to go for this car. The service warranty advisor at Sai service here mentioned that 100/90 would void the warranty. Let me try another service center. I agree the stock set up sucks.
Yea the mileage figures surprised me too as initial figures in other owners were not this high. But very few start their ownership experience witht a travelogue

As far as highway driving on the NH4 one cant keep speeds constant as the traffic situations keep changing. I found it difficult to keep the speed below 100 as it is so easy to accelerate in the 2k to 2.5 k zone. Pics coming up as soon as I clean the car. the rains here
Old 21st July 2009, 14:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

those are good FE figures of your maiden ride, just make sure you keep it around 2000 to 2500 rpm till your run in period before cruising further.Pictures awaited.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Some pics

Here are some pics taken on a very overcast afternoon. Unfortunately I found one side beading missing as you can see from the photo. Cant fathom how it happned ? anyway item demanded from factory and will take 2 weeks and put me back by about 3K.
Attached Thumbnails
Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-front-quarter.jpg  

Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-dzire-rear-quarter.jpg  

Long awaited Maruti Dzire comes home. EDIT: Wheel bearing failure @ 57000 kms-missing-beading.jpg  

Old 28th September 2009, 22:40   #14
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy.
Wouldn't it have been easier for you to get it through Ahmedabad CSD depot rather than get it transported all the way from Kolkatta.Anyway,can you share more details of your vehicles transportation from kolkatta & the expenses involved?
Old 30th September 2009, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Congrats on your new buy.
Wouldn't it have been easier for you to get it through Ahmedabad CSD depot rather than get it transported all the way from Kolkatta.Anyway,can you share more details of your vehicles transportation from kolkatta & the expenses involved?
Rishab, I did the deal thru ap financial services in Delhio. They booked the vehicle, took delivery at cal, got temporary and permanent registration done, got the transportation done till Pune, from where I collected the veh and drove it down to goa. The transportation cost was 9k. the rest of the overheads were 8.5 k insurance, TY registration 4K, Pmt registration 13K, and 2K for "handling".
Overall satisfactory experience but had to do a lot of phone calls to expedite the process. eventually took me 2 months for the car ex calcutta and another 19 days for transportation to Pune.

Most Viewed