Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 16:16   #1
BHPian

Safari LX 2.2 VTT 25 K Report

I bought Safari2.2 in Nov 2007 after i lost my fiat petra 1.6 in an accident near Jaipur while returning from Khatu Shyamji. Fiat petra was such a wonderful car that buying another one in that segment was out of question and I needed to buy a bigger car to forget about it and move ahead.

WHY SAFARI 2.2 ?
I knew that safari 2.2 was first released in europe and then in India. This inspired my confidence in the car. Other options in this price and similar type were - Scorpio and Innova. In my test drive for scorpio, found it to be very tight on space inside, and therefore could not convince myself to buy a big car with little space inside. Even bad in it is the middle seat space, so If i have a driver later in years, i wont feel any good sitting in the middle seat. Drove Innova and felt like i was driving a train, and as i was to drive myself to office everyday, i did not like the idea of innova as people might have felt me to be a driver....With safari 2.2 i felt real power while driving and could clearly see the full bonnet of the car (unlike innova) which makes me feel comfi in the city tight traffic. Sitting on the middle seat feels safe and therefore Safari was the choice for me. It also happened to be cheaper by more than 1.5 lacks to scorpio/innova.

I was told about safari problems, but they are giving a 4 yrs extended warranty and that was very assuring. After 4 years i dont mind spending slightly high on maintenance.

SAFARI TROUBLES
  1. AC fuse blowout
  2. Diesel pipe burst - Small rubber pipe that goes into the engine. It took around 4 visits to service station to get it corrected. Wasted more than 2k fuel in the process and test drives.
  3. Accelerator getting stuck when doing constant slow acceleration - This required multiple visits, the error code was simple, accelerator pedal stuck, and none of the suggested remedies working. Checked crank sensor, accelerator sensor and other sensors, still it was coming. Finally it turned out that this was a small issue with adjustment of brake sensor. It was slightly high.
  4. No acceleration - This was some issue with turbocharger not getting fired, so car became very sluggish in pickups. The bull became a dog. Panting while running. - Needed few visits, and finally they changed some part from a new safari, and voila this was solved.
  5. Engine light on slow deceleration - I read this issue on another thread also, and felt good I am not the only one :-)
  6. Cracked wiper water bottle.
  7. Some engine issue - the power steering jammed, and AC went out. It was hard coming back to workshop
    1. This got solved, took the car and then found that it was not going beyong 3k RPM and giving black smoke. - This was another engine issue and they changed something.
  8. Belt noise on cold start when AC was switched on.
  9. Left front windshield gets stuck - NOT SOLVED
I was earlier taking the car to Automobile sterling in NOida and they are just useless. The life has become better after i have started taking car to Autolinks Vasant kunj workshop the life is better.

Why i like it?
  1. Good road presence.
  2. Power to the pedal
  3. Fill in all family and just go. No issue on power.
  4. And most important ---FEELS GOOOD
TRIPS
  1. Delhi-Manali - The longest i have done in the car is Delhi to Manali. The trip was wonderful, very easy to drive in mountains, and no problem in altitude or cold temperatures.
  2. Delhi -Mussourie-Chamba - Mussourie to dhanaulti road was very bad, however with safari, no road feels bad, thats why i love this car more and more.
  3. Delhi- Rishikesh- Went on Rafting.
  4. Delhi-Jaipur- This was the first trip, just to test the car on highways

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2009 at 18:30. Reason: Please read the note in post
Old 24th July 2009, 17:51   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on making it this far, safari experience must be had in file. It truly helps reclaim onself.

The negative side is service centre trips but most major issues get sorted out in the initial period, so you should be having a smoother 50K kms next.

The TCIC was more reliable, but the 2.2 is the beast.
Old 24th July 2009, 18:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

oh Ankur(hope u the one from indus), nice to see you here, this is Rajiv, you Indus friend.

BTW nice report, post some pics.

So what about that Leh plan ?

Last edited by rkbharat : 24th July 2009 at 18:48.
Old 24th July 2009, 23:28   #4
BHPian

Safari pics

here are few pics of the safari
Attached Thumbnails
Safari LX 2.2 VTT 25 K Report-2418630328_67298499cf_o.jpg  

Safari LX 2.2 VTT 25 K Report-3326280786_ac70500c16_o.jpg  

Safari LX 2.2 VTT 25 K Report-3702510883_fbffe7f3b4_o.jpg  

Old 24th July 2009, 23:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
oh Ankur(hope u the one from indus), nice to see you here, this is Rajiv, you Indus friend.

BTW nice report, post some pics.

So what about that Leh plan ?
Yeah Bharat u caught me right :-) i have now added some pics. Leh trip is down the line maybe 2 yrs from now, when the kid can join in..
Old 25th July 2009, 18:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ankur the crash guard looks good on the Safari which brand is it and what's the price.

Enjoy the ride and keep reclaiming your life and share your experience with your ride.

Nicely written review and Hope to see more pictures of The King.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Ankur the crash guard looks good on the Safari which brand is it and what's the price.
I was about to say the same, its aesthetically most suitable for the colour than I have ever seen before.

If you have the service records, you can also make some effort to post what was replaced/ corrected for which problem that you faced.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ankur,

i think i have seen this car(i remember the bent bullbar on one side) and do you work in GL 3rd building.

please confirm.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I was about to say the same, its aesthetically most suitable for the colour than I have ever seen before.

If you have the service records, you can also make some effort to post what was replaced/ corrected for which problem that you faced.
Dadu you have made a good point, but i did not keep the records, as i thought Tata anways now has a centralised system and keeps the info in it. I will try do this from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

Enjoy the ride and keep reclaiming your life and share your experience with your ride.

Nicely written review and Hope to see more pictures of The King.
@Gowda - the crash guard is from a brand called welcome, i have seen this brand on some other cars also. it was for around 4.5 K. But I wont recommend it, go for Bimbra in Delhi for similar or better stuff. It does not look this good now as people in Delhi have the habit of cutting u from sides, and I have the habit of giving them a taste of the safari bull . Got the left horn rewelded, and the black edges are slightly loose now..
Old 25th July 2009, 20:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Ankur,

i think i have seen this car(i remember the bent bullbar on one side) and do you work in GL 3rd building.

please confirm.
Yes Sunny, used to work in GL till june 08. Now with Times Delhi. What about u?
Old 25th July 2009, 21:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh. Thats a long list of issues. Good to see you still love the car
Old 25th July 2009, 21:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Oh. Thats a long list of issues. Good to see you still love the car
I had petra 1.6 for 3 yrs and never had any issues. So when i got safari i was thinking what i have gotten into..But the feel in safari is worth it,,When it runs well,,its the king on the road...People give way to it on road...something i miss when i drive the other cars.
Old 26th July 2009, 03:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Yes Sunny, used to work in GL till june 08. Now with Times Delhi. What about u?
hehe, thats so funny, we dint meet earlier.

I used to work for GL too till Mar 09 and then shifted to london.

I had White Safari and silver bullet electra.

cheers
Old 26th July 2009, 06:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice beast but DQ: How did you get HR26AP number in Nov 07? It wasnt even HR26AH/J series at that time!!
Old 26th July 2009, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nice beast but DQ: How did you get HR26AP number in Nov 07? It wasnt even HR26AH/J series at that time!!
I had to get it registered from Haryana/Gurgaon as registration was not approved in Delhi till then, i had paid the full price and was desperately waiting, so got it registered from Haryana. And yes there was a temp delhi number for sometime, maybe a month-2.

Most Viewed