Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 21:04   #1
BHPian

(Yet another) Swift VDI(2009) ownership report

For almost two years, I was confused between buying an used Santro or a new car. Finally this year I decided I wanted a car that I could use on the highways, especially for regular trips to Chennai. So Swift or getz fitted my budget and my requirements. And I wasn't willing to wait that time for the much hyped Grande Punto. I was more inclined towards zxi but all the various great posts about SwiftD made me little more confused. But the huge waiting period wasn't encouraging.

I was determined to get the car as early as possible. Then one saturday my friend Roy and myself took out his car (incidentally a Swift zxi) and decided to check every dealer. We first went to RNS motors in yeshwanthpur. They were very helpful and they let us test drive both the petrol and diesel variants. I at once fell in love with the Swift diesel. They quoted the usual waiting period but they said they'll try their best to get me the non-ABS versions in a month. I took their numbers and then headed towards Bimal in whitefield. I was wary of the Bimal in Indiranagar after hearing about all those forms they got people to sign. We again took testdrive of Swift diesel there, but it was supposed to be an old Swift car owned by the manager there. My friend suggested I book with RNS as the reviews on TeamBHP for their service was excellent. But then I wanted to take the loan through Bank directly and since I'll have to visit the dealer a few times for this, I decided I'll stick with Bimal. Besides, the place looked more professional.

The same tuesday, I wentt to Bimal before going to office, gave a cheque for 50,000 and booked the white beauty. I knew that now comes the headache of finalizing which bank to apply for the loan. The dealer was pushing me to take from Axis Bank though I was more interested in getting a loan from SBI as many of our members suggested. He suggested he could try from SBT or SBM. I said I'll get back on that. I directly got in touch with HDFC as I have a salary account with them. Few calls and few days later, I wasn't happy with their rates and the dealer was still pushing for axis bank. I was bargaining with them and they finally settled on a rate and said nothing less is possible.

While I was discussing with another colleague about the banks loans, he suggested that I directly approach SBI. He accompanied me and we directly went to the SBI on st. marks road. We were redirected to the multi product marketing team who handle new loans. They were very helpful and said SBI is having a special loan drive, so no processing fee and lower interest rate for first 12 months. I read on this forum and was told by the dealers that it would take some 20 days for SBI to process the loan, so I thought its better I get the ball rolling early. I gave the required documents in a day, and believe me when I say everyone was wrong. The loan got approved in some 5 working days. I was really amazed. But the bad part about SBI is that they don't have ECS facility and I had to give atleast 12 cheques to start with. And I already had my cheques returned few times in the past for signature mismatch.

I called the dealer and told him that the loan got approved and he need not call me again asking if I would be interested in loan, and asking him when I could get the proforma invoice. I inquired about the probable dates for delivery, and I was told that once I make the settlement, I would get the car in 10-12 days.(Wait a minute, there is something wrong here.) Then he said that the car was leaving the factory that same day and it would take 10-12 days to reach the dealer. I told him that I expected him to call and tell me when this happened and not I call him and get to know. I went the next day, paid the remaining downpayment, and got the proforma invoice. I asked him for the engine/chassis number for the car I was alloted, but he said the allotment manager was out for a meeting and he said he would call me and give me the details if I really wanted them. (Ofcourse I never got the call and the second time i mentioned about this, I got the same reply). I signed the documents with SBI and got the loan amount dispersed (Silly me). After 10 days, I called up the dealer again as there was no news about the car. He said it will take atleast a week more. I now got very suspicious especially since my first installment was due in a week.

After two more days, the dealer called me and said the car has arrived(a great relief). I went and checked the car and gave the documents for registration and to pick the accessories (I read the forums and knew what to pick and which ones are cheaper outside). I got the floot mats and mud flaps free. I asked the dealer for under-body anti rust coating, Nippon car security+remote lock and since i really liked a seat cover design there, asked for the g-sport seat covers.

Two days later I went to pick up the car at around 10, taking a copy of the TeamBHP checklist. Went through the checklist, got all the documents, (though I'm not religious) let the in-house pujari go through all his rituals, took the key and zoom. (Well, here I should mention that I had only completed half of my driving classed and didn't have a license, so my friend was driving till near my house, then I took over when it was safe).

The very next day, went to Autoshop in koramangala, got ICEd with pioneer 2090HU and JBL speakers. I was running on budget and I trusted the Autoshop guys to pick my speakers. Got the high-end 3M sunfilms and xenos reverse parking sensor. My beauty on stock rims, no way. I also went to sai iyengars and oz to check out for alloys, and after some hunting and not happy with any of them, went back to Sai iyengars in Indiranagar to just change the tyres on the stock rim. He showed me a league alloys which looked nice on-screen. a 15" black alloy with silver lip/centre and I went for it and changed the tyres to Michelin primacy LC 195/60R15.

Another happy swift diesel owner. I'm uploading the only picture I have handy. The car has already run 2.5K, so the first service is already over. Will post the details soon.
Attached Thumbnails
(Yet another) Swift VDI(2009) ownership report-img011.jpg  

Old 27th July 2009, 04:37   #2

Good report, and congratulations on your new car.

I am new here, can you please let me know what accessories to pick at the dealer and what to buy outside? Also it would be a great help if you can point me to the checklist that you mentioned.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:58   #3
BHPian

mahipalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipalc View Post
...I am new here, can you please let me know what accessories to pick at the dealer and what to buy outside?
Though my list may not be of use to you, you can search this forum to find some thread more relevant to you. As a rule of thumb, dont buy anything which can be bought later on (from outside), as usually the dealers tend to quote a higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipalc View Post
... Also it would be a great help if you can point me to the checklist that you mentioned.
You can go through this thread for the Checklist
Old 27th July 2009, 15:37   #4
BHPian

Nice report, what is your FE?
Old 27th July 2009, 17:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
After 2.5k kms FE figures will be nice. What was the cost of the alloys?
Old 27th July 2009, 18:21   #6
BHPian

Nice report. Car looks great with those alloys. How much you paid for the alloys ?? Post some pics of interiors please.

Drive safe.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The alloys look neat. How much did you pay for the Primacy LC ?
Old 28th July 2009, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Car has just crossed 2.5K Km and I'm mostly driving in bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic. Last I measured, with half highway and half city driving, I got near to 18. (But a/c set to very low). With City driving alone, seems like i'll get less than 14 :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
After 2.5k kms FE figures will be nice. What was the cost of the alloys?
Those League costed me a little above 22k for set of 5, without B&W and without the stock rim buyback ofcourse. (I know it goes against TBHP advice to get set of 4, but the way I carelessly run over potholes, I thought it would be good to have a spare handly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Congrats. The alloys look neat. How much did you pay for the Primacy LC ?
4.5K per piece (Thats what I remember from my forget only memory, I'll check for the bill and confirm on that).
Old 17th November 2009, 14:49   #9
BHPian

belated updates

Have been postponing updates on this thread for a long time. The second service is almost due now and the car has done 4500 Kms. Haven't faced any problems till now.

Two updates.

The first service was done at Bimal service in Indiranagar (Behind Hotel Leela palace). Was regular oil change and I asked them if they could buff up some of the scratches on fender. I went a little late to pick up the car and the car wasn't washed yet. Had to wait for sometime to pick-up the car. Two things I didn't like about this BIMAL service centre was that they lied to me saying the car has gone out for just testing before delivering, while I saw the car is parked behind a wall inside the service station. Second the person who was driving my car from there to the car wash, was revving high with the hand brake on.(This most mechanics do and nothing much to do about it). Nothing done about the scratches. I'm planning to give the car for service to Whitefield BIMAL from now on, since they said they'll pickup/drop the car at my office.

While driving from Bangalore to Chennai, somewhere after vaniyambadi, car came in contact with a truck that was moving into my lane from parked position(Many trucks were parked). The front fender, front and back door had huge dent and front window/ORVM got smashed. My friend was driving and I was on passenger side. Luckily no one was hurt. We didn't argue because my friend could have stopped. Claimed insurance from IFFCO-TOKIO (Maruti) Insurance. The front fender/left front/rear door frame/front window/ORVM were replaced and costed around 33K and had to pay around 4K out of pocket.

Happy part is I haven't faced any issues yet(touchwood), but this being my first car, I think I will soon forget to drive a petrol car
Old 18th November 2009, 15:23   #10
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the crash!!!! Be more catious and drive safe!!! Oh, BTW, please give your feedback on the service at Whitefield Bimal. Also, please let ,me know the deal for the alloys and the tyres at Sai iyengars .

Please give the breakup for the alloys and the tyres, and was it a buy back for the original 165 JK tyres?
Old 15th December 2009, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Oh, BTW, please give your feedback on the service at Whitefield Bimal. Also, please let ,me know the deal for the alloys and the tyres at Sai iyengars .

Please give the breakup for the alloys and the tyres, and was it a buy back for the original 165 JK tyres?
Sorry Raghu for the late reply. I searched all the places and couldn't find the bill. I'm so well organized that I may need a few more months to find anything I need.

Yes it was a buy back of the original 165 JK tyres+Steel rims for the regular Rs 1100 per piece. I remember paying between 4000-4500 per piece for both my alloys and the Michelin Primacy LC tyres. I know its a broad range and not of much use. Sorry.

And regarding the second service, I got the second service done through Bimal(Whitefield) at 6 months/4800 Kms (Started taking public transport to office, so low mileage put on the car.) I booked the service over phone and they picked up the car in morning from my home and delivered it back the same day evening. They called up in middle to inform me of what checks were going to be done. At the end of the day the bill came to INR 22/-(Yes, that is twenty two rupees). I tipped the driver and after he left, took the car for a testdrive. Didn't have any problem before the service and so nothing specific to check. But now the turbo at 2K RPM is very mild. And after two days, I see that the left from door rattles when accelerating in 3rd gear.

Will take it to Bimal during weekend for a check-up.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:31   #12
BHPian

I also have the same problem!! the turbo is not as much it was in the initial stages!! I have done around 6.2k as of date and second service was done at Bimal Whitefield only. When checked with the executive no proper response was given saying its normal and there is no difference There was rattling all over the car after a trip to Ooty thru bandipur thanks to the amazing road, there was some weird noise coming from the dashboard which was rectified after 2 visits to the service center. Any problem, they say its normal and cant be solved, only after few escalations they do the work. Let me know if your problem was solved
Old 16th December 2009, 17:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I also have the same problem!! the turbo is not as much it was in the initial stages!! ... Let me know if your problem was solved
When the service engineer called me back for feedback I complained regarding the rattle and they said they'll send a mechanic to my house. Today I decided not to wait and took the car to Bimal Whitefield. He test drove the car and asked me to wait while he fixed the rattle sound. After 15 mins the Mechanic took me out and the rattle had considerably reduced (I don't think maruti's have a silent cabin on a rough road).

As for the Turbo, he kept saying that this is normal(they seem to be consistent atleast) and that they have now tuned it for mileage. Please drive for another 1K odd kilometers and if you're not happy with the settings, we'll tune the engine again. I have a couple of long distance trips planned and I may hit the 10K mark soon. So I decided to take the matter up during 3rd service.

My other option is to go to Pratham on ORR, but I somehow feel whitefield Bimal is a better bet. Atleast the engineers are little afraid about the feedback we give.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks