Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 15:37   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
We could be the moderators for the meet, and yes, I can wear a safari suit as well if required...
i hope safari doesnt mind you wearing its suit.
Sorry for a bit OT on your thread HW.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:52   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Apart from that, the Sundays OTR saw the vehicle getting its first damage to the bumper.

Attachment 220183

Got hit when I was waiting in queue up the path by a run-away Willy. Thank God it was nothing much or a body damage! Expected the honor to be done by a cab or auto, but never in my dreams would I have thought the first blood to be drawn by a 1963 Willy!
You may want to install a bumper guard. I was against installing any bumper guard as I thought it might damage the chasis on frontal impact. But after a recent accident where I had to pay 25k after insurance and assurance from the TASC that any impact on bumper guard does not damage the chasis, I got it installed.

They have installed dual condensers next to the bumpers. The bumper was hit and the condensers were broken. Condensers are expensive. In addition, the bent condensers caused a leaking radiator.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:37   #258
BHPian

@Happy Wheels: Seeing your red carpet i am also going for one for my Safari to be installed tomorrow.

Initially planned for a green one as mine is a MNG Safari but somehow changed the colour to red.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:24   #259
Senior - BHPian

Getting close to 10k mark now.

Few milestones crossed on the way:

1. Fancy number eh!

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0140.jpg

2. Ah! 9k! And do note that the trip meter is showing the KM's run after the last full tank. So that is 600+ kms with almost half tank of fuel shown on the meter. This was also including 3 hours of bumper traffic in Chennai and 30 minutes of running the vehicle with a/c while I slept. Driving was with RPM @ 1800 - 2000 and cruising all along. Thank fully, NH's in TN do not have speed humps! The final mileage for this trip was 17.3kmpl.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0143.jpg

Apart from that, vehicle performing as it should. My daily drive to office and the highway cruiser on holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
You may want to install a bumper guard. I was against installing any bumper guard as I thought it might damage the chasis on frontal impact. But after a recent accident where I had to pay 25k after insurance and assurance from the TASC that any impact on bumper guard does not damage the chasis, I got it installed...
Thanks for the note, Suman. With the way traffic is, I reckon having one is more like having prevention, than finding a cure later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
@Happy Wheels: Seeing your red carpet i am also going for one for my Safari to be installed tomorrow.

Initially planned for a green one as mine is a MNG Safari but somehow changed the colour to red.
Good going. Please do post some photos.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:29   #260
Senior - BHPian

So I was thinking Missing in action but now you are back in one.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:04   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

2. Ah! 9k! And do note that the trip meter is showing the KM's run after the last full tank. So that is 600+ kms with almost half tank of fuel shown on the meter. This was also including 3 hours of bumper traffic in Chennai and 30 minutes of running the vehicle with a/c while I slept. Driving was with RPM @ 1800 - 2000 and cruising all along. Thank fully, NH's in TN do not have speed humps! The final mileage for this trip was 17.3kmpl.
17.3 KMPL..!!!!!. mind boggling. . I'm not getting anything beyond 11.8 to 12 on highway after the ECu remapping. I used to get 12.8 earlier.

Are you sure you looking at the right trip meter coz there are two trip meters A and B which could be toggled by accidental touch.

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 31st January 2010 at 22:09.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:23   #262
Senior - BHPian

^^ The same doubt I had! Checked the bill for the filled quantity and the noted KM's and redid the calculations couple of times.

Mind boggling - sure is! I tanked up at BP Ghar (on the Hosur - Krishnagiri road), on the way to Chennai, and on return, filled at HP (one of the larger bunks which is few KM's after you cross BP Ghar on the right.

And I do not do auto-cutoff, rather, it is tank full (visible) method. Vehicle drank 35.63 for 616kms. As for the trip meters, from the Alto days, it is always Trip A for journey KM's and Trip B for mileage calculations. So not mix up there.

Edit: Have a trip to Palaghat coming up in two weeks time; that is a ~1000km trip. Will be driving in the similar manner and hope to extract the same mileage. I reckon, keeping the speed and rev in check and using minimal braking was what worked. And also, no, I did not coast - I never do that (a practice I have seen some people employ to get better mileage); not worth the risk.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 31st January 2010 at 22:27.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:31   #263
Senior - BHPian

@HW 17.3kmpl is incredible indeed

I see the temp indicator in the dash tilting towards H slightly. Is it optical error or actually it is?

Mine has never wandered to the east of mid-mark even while hauling full load with AC on western ghats.

-BJ
Old 31st January 2010, 22:45   #264
Senior - BHPian

BJ,

That tilting has been from day one act one! It is no optical error.

So, as long as it maxes out at the same place, I am fine. I am attributing it to a mis-calibrated display unit.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:44   #265
gpa
Senior - BHPian

HW,

Nice to see your back! And boy oh boy am sure a few Safari owners must be green with envy with your FE figures.

Nonetheless, nice short report and all the best for the Palghat trip!

Regards,
gpa
Old 1st February 2010, 22:06   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
So I was thinking Missing in action but now you are back in one.
Always good to take a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
... Nice to see your back! And boy oh boy am sure a few Safari owners must be green with envy with your FE figures.

Nonetheless, nice short report and all the best for the Palghat trip!...
I am hoping it is not an anomaly! Looking forward to the trip. Thanks.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:19   #267
Senior - BHPian

Crossed one fancy set of digits :

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0150.jpg
And, finally, the milestone, 10k!

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0152.jpg

Some photos from the recent outing.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4839.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4888.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4896.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4900.jpg
Old 9th February 2010, 16:23   #268
Senior - BHPian

Wish you many more of the same Suresh. But has the mile crunching slowed down of late?
Old 9th February 2010, 16:54   #269
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Suman.

Yes, it has. Most of the runs are now the office trips with few single day sprints, which were more due to one or the other exigencies.

And this weekend will see a planned ~1000kms added to the vehicle.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:07   #270
Senior - BHPian

So, Suresh congrats on the 10k milestone, I'm sure you are a happy safari owner, and yes, those FE figures are mindboggling, are you sure the Safari was not hoisted onto a truck or something during that run??

The best I've got (the one that I have actual figures to speak of) is 13.4kmpl during my trip to Shirdi and back last week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks