Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 20:44   #286
Senior - BHPian

^^ Don't tell me about it, Hari! :(

True; lot of catching up to do.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

Did a trip to Coorg over the weekend. All of 300kms from home to HomeStay at Madikeri.

Good roads all the way, with few pot holes in the ghat section. Was rather surprised at this since I was told to expect little or no roads after Kushal Nagar!

List of things that needs to be attended to in the vehicle:

- had some water flowing from the central ac unit onto the B pillars. Also felt few drops on my foot. Need to find out how to avoid this.

- squeaking of the passenger seat once a while; few nuts and bolts to be tightened.

- boot door seems to hate to light up the interiors when opened. Had enough of WD40, going to push for replacement!

Apart from these, noticed something strange while doing the ghat section: most of the sections were done in 2nd or 3rd. At one point, at a sharp right turn with upward climb, in 2nd gear, I noticed that the wheels went to spin for a fraction of a second. Looks like the tires lost traction (I am running Michelin A/T). Find this strange since there was absolutely no sand or water on the road and the road was a well tarred one! This could have been passed as a isolated incident, if not for the same thing happened once more at another similar sharp bend. Not sure why this happened!

Standing at 12,500kms now.

A trip to parents place coming up in two weeks time. And then it will get close to 15k kms service. Need to decide if to go for the TASS club membership by then.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:35   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
... central ac unit ... felt few drops on my foot.
I had felt this in Ratnagiri (coastal area) which has high humidity while passing some speed breakers. Switched off the compressor for few minutes. No drips after wards. I think moisture condenses outside catch-tray or refrigerant ducts ? Didn't bother much- difficult to replicate in TASS.

-BJ
Old 30th March 2010, 14:43   #289
Team-BHP Support

Happy you are holidaying all over the place or what? lol

Check the ac drain pipe and routing, if its slightly blocked/misaligned the water leakage starts from all the weird locations.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:48   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
... Switched off the compressor for few minutes. No drips after wards.
Didn't bother much- difficult to replicate in TASS...
Got that! Will do so, the next time it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...Check the ac drain pipe and routing, if its slightly blocked/misaligned the water leakage starts from all the weird locations.
Let me talk to the SA and find out if this can be done as a DIY or I need to take it to them.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:34   #291
Senior - BHPian

Got the 15k kms service done today.

Issues noted:

1. Boot door latch not working intermittently: The cabin lights (and the "door open" light on the dash board) do not light up when the boot door is opened. Did a WD40 treatment, which helped for sometime but it was back to square one in 2 weeks time. But, as things go, the latch started working over the last 2~3 weeks.
Made a note of this to the SA, who had the guys remove the old grease and lightly re-grease the area. Under observation.

2. The central a/c unit making weird sound; water flowing through the B pillars: The water flow was due to the outlet pipe out of position. Now coming to the sound - the "expansion valve" (a small unit) had gone bonkers. Ordered and will be replaced under warranty in a weeks time.

This issue started after the ~2 hrs of a/c usage on idle when I had been to Puttaparathi the last time. For some strange reason, the sound comes only on idling and not when the vehicle is in gear. There was absolutely no effect on the cooling or anything else. Just the painful sound. So, a warranty replacement there.

That is it. The regular service done.

Also had the gear cover replaced under warranty. There was a slight cut on the upper cloth of the gear cover; I was least bothered about it, but the SA decided that it should be changed. Under warranty, suites me!

There was feeble attempt at selling fully synthetic oil; told them 1 ltr @ 1000Rs really does not makes sense when one needs 7.7 ltrs! Regular oil filled.

Clutch fluids and brake oil topped. Differential oil (both differentials) done. Greasing and tightening of all joints.

Also did wheels balancing and alignment. Balancing was done well. Alignment was, well, nothing was done. All the readings were within range and the guy did not even go down into the well! Did a TD to check for pull / out of balance, all is fine.

Checked all the wheels for uneven wear & tear, all fine. No issues.

The vehicle went in at 9.30am. Told them no washing was required since that is one big bottle neck they have. Will get a wash done some other day.

The vehicle was ready after service by 12.30pm, but things got held up for the warranty claim approval. Their CS manager was out or something and without that approval, they could not close the job card. So got delayed due to that. Finally, the vehicle was out by 3pm.

The vehicle feels smooth now, with the fresh oil, greasing and tightenings it had. All set for the trip to Kollur the week after next.

Total bill amount came out to 4,550. The wheel B&A was for 1,500. Ouch!

Time to cover the next set of 15,000kms!
Old 6th May 2010, 17:59   #292
Team-BHP Support

1. I also get this issue, and spraying WD40 does take care of it for some time
2. Same problem with AC on my car too. Roof AC makes real weird sounds

Guess this saturday will be a busy day!
Old 6th May 2010, 18:08   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Total bill amount came out to 4,550. The wheel B&A was for 1,500. Ouch!

Time to cover the next set of 15,000kms!
Wheel Balancing and Alignment is part of 15K service and should be done FOC check it again in the service booklet and raise some noise to get refund.
Where you got this service done.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:16   #294
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Clutch fluids and brake oil topped.
Are they separate? How much of fluid was needed for top up? Did you check the level before hand?
Old 6th May 2010, 21:35   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. I also get this issue, and spraying WD40 does take care of it for some time
2. Same problem with AC on my car too. Roof AC makes real weird sounds

Guess this saturday will be a busy day!
1. WD40 did take care and then it was back to getting stuck. But now, even without any WD40 application, it is working properly.

2. The issue is with a black unit, that is just above the drivers seat. It will be visible when you remove both the sleeve (the one held up by those 5 screws) and the lower bay of the blower. They referred to it as the expansion valve. It does not come as a single piece, need to be replaced as the entire unit. Cost - 23k; warranty - FOC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Wheel Balancing and Alignment is part of 15K service and should be done FOC check it again in the service booklet and raise some noise to get refund.
Where you got this service done.
Yes, did notice it mentioned in the service booklet. But then, didn't know that it was supposed to be FOC. I got it done at Concord, Mysore road. Let me first call up the SA tomorrow morning and ask him whats the deal about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Are they separate? How much of fluid was needed for top up? Did you check the level before hand?
The clutch and brake are separate fluids. One was at half mark and another also less than max point. They had topped it FOC. It hardly took a part of the fluid can from which they refilled.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:21   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The central a/c unit making weird sound;... Now coming to the sound - the "expansion valve" (a small unit) had gone bonkers...
Mine too does this sometimes (faint gurgle sound). Noticed first after the retro fitment exercise. I am reluctant to disclose issues to TASS and invite them to work on it unless it is a showstopper. Most often than not they break something else while fixing the original issue. Hence, I will make a DIY attempt on this if, some simple tinkering helps. I have read up some other forums too- they suggest it is due to some residual condensate clogging drain pipe/valves ?

Quote:
Also had the gear cover replaced under warranty. There was a slight cut on the upper cloth of the gear cover
I had this issue too. Gear lever boot cover may not be culprit. Refer this post for details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1247307-post730.html

-BJ
Old 6th May 2010, 22:30   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine too does this sometimes (faint gurgle sound). Noticed first after the retro fitment exercise..
This is no faint sound. This is a very loud and irritating noise. Do not think a DIY would help. But no harm in trying out.

Quote:
...I had this issue too. Gear lever boot cover may not be culprit. Refer this post for details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1247307-post730.html

-BJ
Thanks for pointing this out. If I still find that the cover is getting slit, then I would ask them to have a look at the rod, when changing the cover.

Another n00b question:
Isn't the first few services free, in terms of "free labour". So, why does my bill have a labour component to it which I paid?

So what is exactly "free" in these services???
Old 6th May 2010, 22:59   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is no faint sound. This is a very loud and irritating noise. Do not think a DIY would help. But no harm in trying out.
Thanks HW for a quick clarification.

I hear this faint gurgling/sloshing noise sometimes, for few seconds, just after switching on the AC (compressor). Sound goes away on its own after sometime. Cooling is normal.

I guess it is not a showstopper then?

-BJ
Old 6th May 2010, 23:17   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the 15k kms service done today
Did you get a 5K kms/6 months service done? This is as per my user manual!

Quote:
Also had the gear cover replaced under warranty. There was a slight cut on the upper cloth of the gear cover
Same with me! KHT motors did not have it in stock and have promised to replace during 2nd free service.

Quote:
There was feeble attempt at selling fully synthetic oil; told them 1 ltr @ 1000Rs really does not makes sense when one needs 7.7 ltrs! Regular oil filled.

Quote:
Differential oil (both differentials) done.
By 'done' you mean top-up, right? I guess replacement is not required at 15K.

Quote:
Also did wheels balancing and alignment.
What is the recommended frequency? Every 15K kms?

Quote:
All set for the trip to Kollur the week after next.
Which route are you planning to take? Via Sringeri/Agumbe?
Old 7th May 2010, 09:13   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I hear this faint gurgling/sloshing noise sometimes, for few seconds, just after switching on the AC (compressor). Sound goes away on its own after sometime. Cooling is normal...
BJ,

If the sound you are hearing is something similar to gas being pooled and then released, with the sound gradually fading away, then it is fine. That is perfectly normal.

To show you what sound I am referring to, let me shoot a video and upload it later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Did you get a 5K kms/6 months service done? This is as per my user manual!...
Yes CD. We have the new service schedule. 1k, 5k, 15k, 30k and last at 45k kms.

Quote:
...Same with me! KHT motors did not have it in stock and have promised to replace during 2nd free service...
You might need to check if the lever is playing bad sport, as noted by BJ. If so, better get the rod also changed. As for me, if the cuts are going to reappear, I will have a look at the rod and get the replacement.

Quote:
...By 'done' you mean top-up, right? I guess replacement is not required at 15K...
Yes sir, just top-up.

Quote:
...What is the recommended frequency? Every 15K kms?..
Ideal is 5k, max is 10k. Since I had done alignment in between, I pushed the balancing & rotation till now.

Quote:
...Which route are you planning to take? Via Sringeri/Agumbe?
Do you any plans?

Have the whole day of 15th to drive down. Going straight to Kollur. Not yet decided on the exact route. Anyway, planning to go thru the ghat section with maximum road scenery. And I am sure the rain Gods might pay a visit.

Most Viewed