Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 17:25   #361
Senior - BHPian

Yes, mileage seems to be lower than past. Not sure if EuroIV has anything to do with it. Let me try the sedate driving on this long drive and I will be able to confirm.

Will post back the pics of tire cut. How did it happen - no idea! Certainly not a hit, since the cut part is the only one damaged area and it also appears as a tear. I hope the picture will be able to show it clearly.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:18   #362
Senior - BHPian

Missed to mention this again!!!

Vehicle is due for insurance renewal. Looks like these details are shared with the rest of the world!!! Over the last two days, I have received not less than 15 calls from various banks and agents offering insurance!

The least I got was from TATA, with a tie up with HDFC, will a hell lot of discounts, but with a hell lot of service charge and tax, coming to Rs.19,666/-. Brushed aside all of that and got in touch with my contact at BA. Got it done for Rs.17,286/-.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:29   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Missed to mention this again!!!

Vehicle is due for insurance renewal. Looks like these details are shared with the rest of the world!!! Over the last two days, I have received not less than 15 calls from various banks and agents offering insurance!

The least I got was from TATA, with a tie up with HDFC, will a hell lot of discounts, but with a hell lot of service charge and tax, coming to Rs.19,666/-. Brushed aside all of that and got in touch with my contact at BA. Got it done for Rs.17,286/-.
Great to hear that your vehicle is doing good
Old 12th July 2010, 22:47   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I tanked up at Trichy and currently have covered 375kms. Fuel meter is at slightly less than 3/4th. Am going to push it and see if I can do the 400kms run back to Palaghat over the weekend. Fingers crossed!...
... and it did the run. Add to it with few local runs in Bangalore before travel and also few more local runs at PGT. Refueled at a IOCL on the outskirts of CBE on the way back. It drank 60 liters and the KMS from last refill stood at 931kms. That translates to around 15.5kmpl.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:07   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The change to 100/130 really boosted confidence in night drives. Am able to drive most of the route just in low beam, since the throw and light is enough. This also gives me enough power to force some smart guys to switch to low beam, since flashing brings up both the beams.

Yet to fix and check the air checkers that I have procured from Pete's recently.

One of the read tires is showing a crack on the side wall. Need to get that sorted out after the Kerala run. Hope the side wall is strong enough not blast when driving!

Another point is that sometimes the engine feels rough, very rough. Not sure if just my imagination.
I too got one sometime back, could get it replaced . It looked like someone has cut it and there was no damage marks like it should if it has hit a stone or so.

Quote:
Tejas,

There is a PDF in the thread about wipers, from Bosch, saying that for Safari the lenght required is 22" . But there was a post by JK saying that one should by buy 20" for Safari. Confused!

Do check and let me know. Rain guard is not going that great. Something wrong with the way I am applying it.

And heck, no rains right after the day I applied it!!!
20 inch please, else left side one will stick out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
If in future you wish to replace them with normal bulbs make sure that the cover behind headlights are sealed properly because when the HID is installed they make a big hole in the cover which in case is not properly sealed will lead to dullness in your headlamp fog starts to accumulate on the glass of headlamp.The cover is also not available as a spare part it ships with the whole headlamp assembly.
Mine's till open, 2 years plus now, no issues with moisture in this part of the country! Cant beat that I guess

Quote:
... and it did the run. Add to it with few local runs in Bangalore before travel and also few more local runs at PGT. Refueled at a IOCL on the outskirts of CBE on the way back. It drank 60 liters and the KMS from last refill stood at 931kms. That translates to around 15.5kmpl.
Alto or what

I got 100W Philips Rally for fogs. 110rs per bulb. Hope 100/130 dont burn your headlamps in the long run.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:15   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I too got one sometime back, could get it replaced . It looked like someone has cut it and there was no damage marks like it should if it has hit a stone or so...
Need to reach out to the tire dealer over the weekend. Should have done that some time back when the mileage was around 15k. After noticing the crack, I did the Mangalore trip and then these two back to back weekend trips!

Quote:
...20 inch please, else left side one will stick out !...
The current wipers are not all that bad. Kerala monsoon did put it to test. But, yes, planning to get the 20 inchers shortly.

Quote:
...Mine's till open, 2 years plus now, no issues with moisture in this part of the country! Cant beat that I guess ...
Not sure if you are just plain lucky or if this indeed is the true case. I was dead against the cutting due to this fear of moisture... and also water entering the casing when driven hard thru water.

Quote:
...I got 100W Philips Rally for fogs. 110rs per bulb. Hope 100/130 dont burn your headlamps in the long run.
Did you do any wiring change for the fogs or was it plug and play?

As for the head lamps, I drive in low beam only (100w). Have used the headlight leveler to set the throw in a comfortable position. The high beam is just to give some people a taste of their own medicine. So, hopefully, I do not burn out the reflectors soon. But yes, this is one of my worries.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:35   #367
BHPian

hello
superb review happy wheels and thanks for taking time to share your experiences. i am planning to book safari gx next week and thanks for all the information

just wanted to know what is a PDI and VIN and how should i get it checked when booking my car. if you have posted a seperate thread for it pls let me know

also i had confusion of colors but with your spare wheel cover being respectfully returned i guess i may go for the red color. is the mountain green color rare too

also can u please throw some light about the anti theft immobiliser function and whether i should invest in extra security

thank you and keep writing, your posts inspire the confidence to buy this beast
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:07   #368
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome, Lodhra!

As for your queries:
PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection): More info @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): More info @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

Mountain Green is also a rare color and definitely not a hit with the snatchers due to lack of too many vehicles in that color.

The immobilizer is a good deterrent. The disabling key, that it comes with, is a random generated key provided in a sealed cover. One less security risk there.

And extra security (aka, extra peace of mind) is never bad to have.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:02   #369
BHPian

thank you for your help, looking fwd to booking this saturday
Old 7th August 2010, 00:19   #370
Senior - BHPian

Crossed 20,000kms yesterday morning on reaching office!

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0191.jpg

3 days left for the 1st anniversary and this was all that was done.

Experience so far:

- The headlight was changed under warranty on the first service due to water fogging inside. It never happened after that.

- Central a/c console was replaced under warranty after the compression valve died.

- Loose contacts! The back lamp and the number plate lamp both had loose contacts which caused them not to light up. Fixed under DIY.

- The gear cover (cloth) was replaced sometime during the 15k service since the factory fitted one had torn off. Since this is covered under warranty, am closely watching if there are any more sign of tear; none so far.

- There is a slight pealing off from the steering wheel due to sweaty hands. Was offered by TASS for a warranty replacement, which I refused. The new steering wheel will be no different!

- Noticed mist forming on the front windshield near the blower. After some frustrating period, realized that this happens only when I close the door vents, which is causing some of the cold air to "leak" thru the front blowers near the windshield (air speed at 2).

- Vehicle always serviced at Mysore Road Concord; last service done was 15,000kms

- Cabin light did not work when rear door was opened. Identified as issue with too much grease in the lock. WD40 did the trick. So far, so good.

- Had rattling sound coming from the passenger seat; looks like it rattled itself to death!

- Had upgraded the light to 90/100 and for the last few month of so, to 100/130. A vast improvement of the lights at 100/130. And just to be safe that I do not damage the reflectors with too much heat, most of the time, it is on low beam; high beam is used only to bully back some nut.

- ABS is definitely a life saver! Saved me from running down a Ben Johnson who decided to run across the road.

- Fog lamps are still as useless as they can get.

- Spare wheel cover design and cost seems to be done with the petty thieves in mind! Costly and easy to steal! Had done a DIY to secure it.

- Not much to say about the comfort. Just awesome! And I never use the jumper seats unless it is a desperate situation where more people are required to be transported. Not bothered with the comfort levels at such situations.

- Great amount of power available on demand. Never felt a lack of it. Just make sure that you are in the right RPM.

- A/c is a chiller! Don't remember keeping the setting at any point above 2. The central unit also helps a lot here.

- Wiper action interval adjustment is a boon. But, the high speed wiper action is definitely inadequate.

- Mileage, on the refill yesterday, gave 12.7kmpl. This was completely on city drives. Mileage on highways are around 16-17kmpl based on driving style.

- Cleaning was a nightmare! Loads of water and time consumed each time. Saved now due to Jopasu duster!
Old 7th August 2010, 11:34   #371
BHPian

>> Mileage, on the refill yesterday, gave 12.7kmpl. This was completely on city drives. Mileage on highways are around 16-17kmpl based on driving style.

HW, This is absolutely a killer figure man !

So far, the best I got within City was ~ 10.2 KMPL and for the last 2 refills, it has dropped to 9.5. Mine is very much ready for 2nd service (5K service). I am just hoping the mileage to improve after the service is done.

Prem.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:53   #372
BHPian

Has anyone read that price of Tata Safari has been reduced by 36k. I read in the newspaper yesterday and now the base variant which costed here Rs 8,05,270 now costs Rs 7,67,267. What could be the reason for reducing the price??
Old 7th August 2010, 12:00   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Has anyone read that price of Tata Safari has been reduced by 36k. I read in the newspaper yesterday and now the base variant which costed here Rs 8,05,270 now costs Rs 7,67,267. What could be the reason for reducing the price??
I assume that the reduction in prices has something to do with the impending release of the Aria. I may be wrong though.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:42   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
...So far, the best I got within City was ~ 10.2 KMPL and for the last 2 refills, it has dropped to 9.5. Mine is very much ready for 2nd service (5K service). I am just hoping the mileage to improve after the service is done...
My "city" drive is usually around my place of stay and to office. The office route is just 8kms one way and is not high on traffic. Maybe this is what is giving me such good figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I assume that the reduction in prices has something to do with the impending release of the Aria. I may be wrong though.
I does seems to be the Aria effect!
Old 7th August 2010, 16:23   #375
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suresh on the miles covered. Now notch up a few thousands more soon.

Quote:
There is a slight pealing off from the steering wheel due to sweaty hands. Was offered by TASS for a warranty replacement, which I refused. The new steering wheel will be no different!
Very true, I got the steering replaced only to discover the new one is worse than the old one, so in line for another change now.

Quote:
Noticed mist forming on the front windshield near the blower. After some frustrating period, realized that this happens only when I close the door vents, which is causing some of the cold air to "leak" thru the front blowers near the windshield (air speed at 2).
Did not get this, did you mean the air recirculation mode switch or the blower vents in the door?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks