Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

JkDas, is that the headlamp cover assembly as seen from the engine bay?
The hole drilled seems too large, but that would mean no splicing of the wiring harness as the whole ceramic holder will go through that hole.
Can we use some silicone gel like sealant to cover that drilled hole?
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:34   #137
Senior - BHPian

was a silent reader of this thread , Nice color combination of you have.

Guys 2 points if they are of some help.

1. High pressure wash of Engine bay : It is not that Safari engine is delicate or should not be washed but if the pressure jet is directed at ECU by mistake it may damage the contacts , Now TML is providing a rubber ECU cover as a retrofit to all 2.2 VTT safari to prevent this accidental damage.

The correct way to wash engine bay is using the drizzel setting of the washing hose and not pointing the pressure jet at the components.

2. About upgraded lighting and water seepage.

best is not to Mod and use Osram nightbreaker ( +50) , Phillips +50
Diamond vision / crystal vison is not exactly +50 but just white lights for bling factor.

In case you have modded the lights and there is any hole drilled you can try sealing it with Silicon glue , It is available with all the hardware stores costs around 150 Rs for full tube but it's messy without the glue gun ( another 150 Rs approx) You can take help of some aquarium shops nearby just to seal the hole around the wires from the back.
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:50   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
was a silent reader of this thread , Nice color combination of you have.

Guys 2 points if they are of some help.

1. High pressure wash of Engine bay : It is not that Safari engine is delicate or should not be washed but if the pressure jet is directed at ECU by mistake it may damage the contacts , Now TML is providing a rubber ECU cover as a retrofit to all 2.2 VTT safari to prevent this accidental damage.

The correct way to wash engine bay is using the drizzel setting of the washing hose and not pointing the pressure jet at the components.

Diamond vision / crystal vison is not exactly +50 but just white lights for bling factor.

In case you have modded the lights and there is any hole drilled you can try sealing it with Silicon glue , It is available with all the hardware stores costs around 150 Rs for full tube but it's messy without the glue gun ( another 150 Rs approx) You can take help of some aquarium shops nearby just to seal the hole around the wires from the back.
Just use mseal it's quick, easy, less messy and cheap, trying to get a mastic gun in the tight space will be an issue(I have 15 tubes of silicone with me, still will use mseal for this)
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:42   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
JkDas, is that the headlamp cover assembly as seen from the engine bay?
The hole drilled seems too large, but that would mean no splicing of the wiring harness as the whole ceramic holder will go through that hole.
Can we use some silicone gel like sealant to cover that drilled hole?
The point is the holder has to go through and hence the big hole.
Had the same set up in my Santro but in it I just removed the cap and kept it at home.

FYI; I use a TVS Relay Kit for headlamps

and a tiny relay from Bosch for my Bosch horns.
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:34   #140
BHPian

Quote:

Hi amit,
What is +50 here ? i was using diamond vision some time ago. It was as good as driving with lights off. How is osram compared to diamond vision ? Very good ? marginally better ?
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

First 4x4 outing:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_3952.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_3992.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_3994.jpg

And who said Honda's are the only vehicle that have bugs traveling with them; see, I have a lizard!!! So, is this better eco-friendly?
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_3997.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4001.jpg

More details @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ug-2009-a.html
Old 24th August 2009, 00:03   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Hi amit,
What is +50 here ? i was using diamond vision some time ago. It was as good as driving with lights off. How is osram compared to diamond vision ? Very good ? marginally better ?
Philips has many products , Diamond vision provides 5000K light to imitate Xenon HID but does not claim to provide higher light intensity so it is just for looks. Whiter bluish light is achieved mostly by filter so has lesser light output.

(1) Philips extreme power claims to provide 80% more light with same wattage 55/65
here primary focus is not on colour but on light intensity mostly by focussing the beams by using smaller filament coil to imitate point light source better.

X-treme Power: Maximum performance

(2) Philips Vision Plus 50% claimed to provide 50% more light with same wattage 55/65
VisionPlus: +50% more light
Old 24th August 2009, 10:50   #143
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of the first 4x4 outing. Loved the one with the small creepy crawly near the left headlamp.

One question though--Are the wiper arms (in the first photo) in their normal position? They don't seem to be fully down or did they get stuck in that position as the wiper was switched off abruptly?
Old 24th August 2009, 13:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

yes happywheels went through your first 4x4 encounter and can see you guys had lots of fun on that trip.wishing you and ur beast more encounters like this in future and keep posting.
Old 24th August 2009, 14:57   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
One question though--Are the wiper arms (in the first photo) in their normal position? They don't seem to be fully down or did they get stuck in that position as the wiper was switched off abruptly?
Thats normal from inside wipers are still below dashboard , The windshield is more like glass dome and seating position is little upright.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

Saw the pics in the "other" thread

Great going but do treat the truck with some TLC - don't tear off the sidesteps or cladding aka Hrag style so soon!!!!!
Old 24th August 2009, 15:29   #147
Team-BHP Support

I think those side steps needs to be taken off immediately! unless you have elderly people climbing OR while washing, those are useless and crash out and dig in, all around the place
Old 24th August 2009, 15:33   #148
BHPian

Way to go Suresh. Loved the comment about the lizard!! Keep the pics coming.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Nice pics of the first 4x4 outing. Loved the one with the small creepy crawly near the left headlamp...
That dear creepy crawly was sitting comfortably till it was scared out (or off) the vehicle. Maybe the warmth of the engine was too good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
...wishing you and ur beast more encounters like this in future and keep posting.
Thanks Vijay! Looking forward to the next OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
...but do treat the truck with some TLC - don't tear off the sidesteps or cladding aka Hrag style so soon!!!!!
Had only one spot where it dug into mud! :(

I hope to keep all things intact in all outings. No plans to risk too much and end up with an open "willy" style Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think those side steps needs to be taken off immediately! unless you have elderly people climbing OR while washing, those are useless and crash out and dig in, all around the place
This seems to be TATA's standard field ploughing equipment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Way to go Suresh. Loved the comment about the lizard!! Keep the pics coming.
Still more pics and video's coming up later in the evening.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:48   #150
BHPian

Hey Happywheels, good to know that you had fun.

Hey amit,

Quote:

(1) Philips extreme power claims to provide 80% more light with same wattage 55/65
so, how are these compared to 90/100 ? If they are almost same in output then i am convinced. Because , these lamps are ~Rs.1200 to 1500. i cannot experiment. it will prove expensive.

Guys (especially those up north)
can you help me find this nudge guard on red safari in the link below. I love the way it looks. I have sent a pm to the user, but he has not returned it.I need the make, availability and price.

Here it is : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post1419437

Most Viewed