Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:46   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I doubt if they would have been provided with those card readers. The reverse side of this card has the details of the vehicle, owner, address and all. So I guess, the reader is not actually required.
Suresh, if this is the case then there is no use of these Sim Cards as the car robbers can make duplicate cards of such things and make the documents for themselves and drive it around without anyone suspecting.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:04   #182
Senior - BHPian

^^ Absolutely!!! A very good point.

Agree with you about the thieves having a easy task of just pasting the owner information on a dummy look alike car; and with the checkers on-road not having the proper tool to read the cards, there is no way they can validate what is there on the reverse of the card is what is there stored in the card.

But then, even out book system could have been replicated as such.

I guess we are all guinea pigs here.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:14   #183
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics Suresh. I was scared when I looked at the pic because all I saw was the chip and didn't know that it had printed details behind the card until I read your reply to gowda.

For some reason, this still gives me an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like you said, we are guniea pigs!
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:49   #184
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you are enjoying the Safari experience

Quote:
The road presence ensured that those buses and trucks did not slow you down. They all went back to their track on this vehicle coming down.
Read about this behavior a lot on this forum, but yet to experience it personally

Quote:
TO sum up, the handling and the comfort offered by the Safari is truly outstanding!
Bang on! This thing is the most comfortable cruiser. Not sure on the handling part though.

Quote:
At one stretch, did close to 160kmph without realizing;
No doubting the capabilities of the vehicle, but doing this kind of speed in a Safari is extremely risky. I'd say Safari is best between 90 -100 kmph. Above 100, its a risky vehicle to drive.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:13   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
... Bang on! This thing is the most comfortable cruiser. Not sure on the handling part though...
My comment on handling was due to what I experienced when I had to do some un-warranted stunts due to some people not looking before leaping on to over-take!!!

Not something that I want to test again.

But then, the handling was also noticed in the ghat section between Palaghat and Kozhikode. Took the curves well.

But then, any vehicle driven within limits, I would say, gives good handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
... No doubting the capabilities of the vehicle, but doing this kind of speed in a Safari is extremely risky. I'd say Safari is best between 90 -100 kmph. Above 100, its a risky vehicle to drive.
That was one risky spot. Did not notice the speedo for some time and I ended up over-speeding! True, 80-90kmph is the best speed; gives you the best KMPL at this speed. And this was the speed I am sticking to now a days.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:29   #186
Senior - BHPian

Been some time here. So, here are some photos:

On the road to Hogenekkal:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4199.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4201.jpg

Wife's kitchen for the noon!
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4203.jpg

And these are the ones from the trip to Mangalore:

Perfect weather:
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-100_4258.jpg

The first beach ride; making my own road on a deserted beach! (4x4 show-off)
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0082.jpg

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th October 2009 at 14:31.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:38   #187
Senior - BHPian

Suresh, you are reclaiming your life to the max.

Sep 27th weekend you are at Hogenekkal and Oct 2nd weekend you are at Managalore, man so this weekend which place
Old 5th October 2009, 20:49   #188
Senior - BHPian

Family trips is done for now.

Next weekend will be for servicing and such. The vehicle crossed 5000 kms on the travel back!
Old 6th October 2009, 10:29   #189
BANNED

Good, looks like you are enjoying your truck to is fullest. Way to go. Your wheels are Happy for sure.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:07   #190
Senior - BHPian

All the driving and bashing thru the wonderful roads of NH48 has given birth to the first squeak which has appeared from the front seat. It comes on and off.

Filled shell from Mysore road pump (the one on the road towards Mysore is open 24hrs) around 4am on Friday and then tanked up at Mysore at Shell. Mileage was 12.75kmpl.

One other issue is that the steering has started to peal off at the place where I hold all the time. Guess it is time for me to get hold of a good steering wheel cover.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:58   #191
BHPian

Quote:
All the driving and bashing thru the wonderful roads of NH48 has given birth to the first squeak which has appeared from the front seat. It comes on and off.

Filled shell from Mysore road pump (the one on the road towards Mysore is open 24hrs) around 4am on Friday and then tanked up at Mysore at Shell. Mileage was 12.75kmpl.

One other issue is that the steering has started to peal off at the place where I hold all the time. Guess it is time for me to get hold of a good steering wheel cover.
Same here have to get the squeak fixed too.

Same here again, is yours a leather wrapped steering wheel? The ones available at the TASS don't fit the steering wheel. I guess they should not interfere with the air bag deployment just in case...

Happy 5000 to you .Gr8 pics keep them coming.

Last edited by sidcruise79 : 6th October 2009 at 13:01.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:18   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
Same here have to get the squeak fixed too.

Same here again, is yours a leather wrapped steering wheel? The ones available at the TASS don't fit the steering wheel. I guess they should not interfere with the air bag deployment just in case...

Happy 5000 to you .Gr8 pics keep them coming.
@HW and Sid,

Sometimes it can happen from sweat, water and sweat not good for any leather, but no-sweat, its covered under warranty, get it replaced. The whole steering wheel will be replaced.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:21   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Happy 5000 to you .Gr8 pics keep them coming.
Thanks Sid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
... The whole steering wheel will be replaced.
Great! Wonderful warranty plan!
Old 6th October 2009, 14:50   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One other issue is that the steering has started to peal off at the place where I hold all the time.
Quote:
Same here again, is yours a leather wrapped steering wheel? The ones available at the TASS don't fit the steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
@HW and Sid,

Sometimes it can happen from sweat, water and sweat not good for any leather, but no-sweat, its covered under warranty, get it replaced. The whole steering wheel will be replaced.
As dadu said the steering wheel is replaced at TASS under warranty and the same has been done with mine, which was nearly 2yrs old.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:23   #195
Senior - BHPian

Two months to the date of getting my Safari and the ODO now stands at 5300kms.

Been a great drive so far. The recent trip to Mangalore thru no-existent roads at Shirdi Ghat section was the ultimate test of the comfort, and all the things that could have rattled off. So far, just the passenger seat, intermittently.

One OTR under the beat, the second better and more fun one missed out last weekend. But not wanting to be a cowboy in this department; I will take my time.

Vehicle is still stock, with respect to accessories. Light is still at 55/60W. And I cursed myself for that, when I drove down NH17. I would see absolutely nothing! Due to this, missed 3 turnings and ended up driving 10kms, all just to take a U turn. On the card of Must-Do's.

I for one (an exception here, I guess) love the positioning of the audio unit. Yes, it is a pain to change the CD when driving, but for that, I find the controls at the tips of my fingers (literally) when driving. Guess a work-around for the absence of steering control!

Found the in-gear pull to be a blessing. No need for acceleration in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears. I park in a slight slope, even there, the 2 tonner pulls itself in 1st & 2nd without acceleration. I use this power on the home run; RPM around 900 and without turbo spooling.

Space - a big boon for people traveling with the family. No second thoughts on carrying something. The only issue that might be there is the laziness to carry to and off the vehicle at destinations!

Comfort is great. Middle seat is where my family is, during drives, except for some distance occasionally in the front seat. So far, they are happy and finding it absolutely comfortable. And I am sure if it was bad, they would be the first ones to say; if not my wife, certainly the little one!!!

Using mostly Shell, where available, else it is IOC. Normal diesel.

Tire pressure maintained at 30.

Michelin's are doing a great job so far. The grip is good. Which is also a concern, since I expect wear out to be faster!

So things are so far so good. Hoping for a long, exiting and fun filled long ownership with this guy.

Most Viewed